Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Stackable PC cases

I'd love to see any stackable pc build, but find particularly interesting the idea of comparing one of the commercially available options to what you can 3d print yourself. Like the "MASS" case talked about in this Tom's article

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/pc-cases/now-you-can-3d-print-a-custom-modular-stackable-itx-nas-pc

$1,300 Tactical Ear Protection

Are they worth the $1300+ price tag or is this military industrial complex pricing?

The 3M Peltor ComTacs are the "top-of-the-line" for tactical ear-protection. Version VIIIs were recently released with earlier versions still costing over $1,000USD. For this high price audio gear, features include:

1. 29dB attenuation rating
  2. 50-hour battery
  3. Selective noise cancelling (filtering gunshots, amplifying footsteps)
  4. Audio frequency profiles for noise cancelling
  5. IP-68 noise cancelling microphone
  6. Volume to match environmental sounds
  7. NFMI communication
  8. 10m short-range, headset-to-headset communication for up to 60 people

As the consumer defense sector has expanded, more individuals are buying these– wanting to emulate their favorite "guntuber" or video game character. How does all the tech stack up to tech consumer options? How is the noise cancellation? How does Crab Rave sound? Are they worth the $1300+ price tag or is this military industrial complex pricing.

The biggest issue may be procurement, as vendors can limit the newest models to military & law enforcement. However, this doesn't stop the second-hand market.

What's LTTs barometer for covering "tactical" tech?

ComTac VIII brochure

ComTac VII for sale

ComTac VI (Canadian vendor)

Title: "Ultimate IRL Streaming Backpack: Unleash Your Streams Anywhere!"

Introduction:

• Open with a dynamic shot of bustling city streets or a scenic outdoor location to set the scene for the excitement of IRL streaming.
  • Introduce the concept of IRL (In Real Life) streaming and its growing popularity among content creators.
  • Mention the challenges of IRL streaming: battery life, device connectivity, and reliable network connection.

Main Points:

1. The Ultimate IRL Streaming Backpack:

• Showcasing the LTT (Linus Tech Tips) backpack as a solid foundation.
    • Discuss the essential elements for an IRL streaming backpack: lightweight, durable, and with ample space for equipment.
  2. Maximizing Battery Life:

• Highlight the importance of extended battery life for uninterrupted streaming.
    • Review various power solutions, including high-capacity power banks, solar panels, and efficient power management techniques.
    • Experiment with different setups to find the optimal balance between power and portability.
  3. Device Connectivity:

• Explore strategies for connecting multiple devices seamlessly.
    • Demonstrate cable management solutions and the use of hubs to connect cameras, microphones, smartphones, and other peripherals.
    • Emphasize the importance of compatibility and versatility in device selection.
  4. Network Connection for Seamless Streaming:

• Address the challenge of maintaining a stable network connection while on the move.
    • Compare different methods for accessing the internet, such as 4G/5G mobile hotspots, portable routers, and bonding multiple connections.
    • Offer tips for optimizing network performance and reducing latency during live streams.
  5. Software and Platform Integration:

• Discuss software solutions for managing IRL streams, including broadcasting software and mobile apps.
    • Highlight features like scene switching, chat integration, and on-the-fly editing.
    • Provide insights into platform-specific considerations for streaming to platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook Live.

Conclusion:

• Summarize the key components of the ultimate IRL streaming backpack: long-lasting battery, seamless device connectivity, and reliable network access.
  • Encourage viewers to experiment with their own setups and share their experiences in the comments.
  • Tease upcoming episodes where we put the ultimate IRL streaming backpack to the test in real-world scenarios.

Closing Shot:

• Fade out with an exciting clip of a successful IRL stream, capturing the energy and excitement of live content creation on the go.

Postscript (P.S.): Collaborative Opportunities and Developer Integration:

• Explore collaborative opportunities with IRL streamers to gather feedback and fine-tune the ultimate IRL streaming backpack.
  • Encourage beta users to participate in field tests, providing valuable insights into real-world usage and performance.
  • Highlight the potential for developers to leverage the backpack as a platform for innovation and experimentation.
  • Introduce the idea of dedicated "labs" where developers can access resources, APIs, and documentation to enhance the functionality of the backpack.
  • Emphasize the importance of community involvement in shaping the future of IRL streaming technology, fostering collaboration and innovation in the content creation ecosystem.

Would love to see update on "Is 4 Cores Still Enough?". It's been almost 3 years, many new games became bigger, with newer technologies

I think modern games in recent years became much more CPU dependent. For example RT is heavily relies on CPU overall performance. New Nanite might hit big on CPU and so much more

Also would love to see 4 core non-HT CPUs like 2th-7th gen core i5's (or simulated via disabling HT) or 10-12th gen i3's and Ryzen 4 cores CPUs such as 1400/1500x, 2400G, 3100/3300x, 3500/3500x* and maybe FX-8300-like if possible

*These CPUs have only 6 threads, but 3100/3300x have 8. Also core i5 from 8th gen have the same story with 6 threads
I have a friend with such CPU, and her PC struggles to keep up with Baldur's Gate 3 while hosting our cooperative game or streaming singleplayer game via discord. Many objects doesn't load in time or game crashes when she tries to do something outside the game. Maybe crashes is RAM issue while low quality assets probably is CPU issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

This update might be a great topic for average audience because of a budget related topics, because Ryzen 7000 prices are nuts

I'm always getting shitty USB-C to 3.5 headphone jack adapters.

I really would love to have several tested and given a few great ones for Smartphone/Laptop/PC or all of them shown which one are the better ones.

I'd love to have that via LTT/ShortCircuit/TechLinked explained similar to

"Dave Rat" on YouTube did for the "Sonnect Soundwire USB to XLR Cable Test & Shootout"

Life to the fullest without regrets and be as happy as you could be.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Y’all should fix people’s pc’s…. You could see how dirty they are and teach people on issues that could cause a common problem 

Car guy here.

Buying A New Car Is Stupid - DIY Android Auto was an excellent video.

Sometimes, us car guys who have old cars want to keep our cars looking period correct while adding some more functionality. This is a very specific niche and part of the industry which is very limited with good products.

I would love to see a video going into new, (but very importantly), old looking head units.

An example would be:

• blaupunk SQR 46
    • this is the industry standard suggestion for old looks, modern functionality.

Thanks

Hi all,

Can you please do a video on filament dryers for 3D printing? What they do, how they are supposed to help, that sort of thing. Are they worth it? Who makes the best, most efficient, most cost effective? Which ones to avoid?

Personally, I have a Creality Ender-3 Max Neo printer and I'm thinking about getting a dryer, just not sure if I should?!

a build for every budget and since your latest 'every build at every budget' is 4 years old you could do this. A build at $500, one at $1000, one at $2000 and one at $3000
$500 list
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qxP428

Motherboard: *ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($35.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: *Timetec 35TTFP6PCIE 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: *DIYPC S3-BK-ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.94 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *Apevia Prestige 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Used R5 3600 with cooler ($85.00)
Total: $564.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 04:21 EST-0500

~$1000 list (sorry I couldn't get it in budget but it's am5 and a 7800 XT, cpu is a 7500f at the bottom)
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LJwLYN

CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($33.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Storage: *Timetec 35TTFP6PCIE 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *PowerColor Fighter OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card  ($489.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: *Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: *Thermaltake Smart BM3 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: 7500F ($155.00)
Total: $1066.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 04:15 EST-0500

$2000 list
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dmJLHG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($362.43 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool LS720 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($101.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: *MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: *Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Storage: *Leven JPS800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($102.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($919.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: *Montech SKY TWO ATX Mid Tower Case  ($87.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1980.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 04:14 EST-0500

$3000 list
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q3BKdH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($362.43 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($98.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($260.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *MSI RTX 4090 GAMING SLIM 24G GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1799.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: *Phanteks Eclipse G360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2978.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 04:13 EST-0500

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

New video on how LTT stors & backups their data including a tour of BackBlaze datacentre.

People never go out of business.

I'm curious how many people are paying the $3 per month to turn off the ADS that Amazon Prime Video shoved down everyone's throat. They could have waited until your next renewal date so people could opt-in or opt-out. Especially for the Annual subscription people. Would prefer to spend $30 per year instead of $3 per month if i have to endure this stuff.

Its so very annoying to get 30 second Ads that freeze your playback controls. 
My teens were raised without ads on TV/videos via streaming and recutting legally purchased DVDs down to movie only without ads, menus or 30 second idiot warnings. They are willing to pay to never see another AD. 

I would love to see a (Plex/Jellyfin) Homeserver build centered around the MS-01 from Minisforum.

https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-ms-01

Jake Tivy said he loves this thing. Maybe a video for him? 🙂

How to put lots of storage in? Diskshelf, or is there a better way?

Powerconsumption, performance, etc. 

This thing is very exciting for Homelab stuff.

Greetings from Germany, Hannover.

Chris

MyQ needs to quit this breaking integration stuff. They even just pulled integration from another one of their official partners. Do some digging on this and call for a ban on MyQ until they start to play nice. The biggest problem of all of this, is that if you have a garage motor with MyQ built in, you can't simply control it with even just a relay. They have a very proprietary type of control. We do now have Ratgdo, and one other coming, but these are still funky hacks basically. Please, please, please, make a video on this. 

covering this?

Send Luke he'll have a blast I cen imagine

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

I'd like to see a video of how much difference thermal throttling actually makes.

I have a server in the closet who's cpu cooler fan died. I have no idea how long it was dead. I noticed the server was a bit slower, but its already over 10 years old, (Intel i7 960, Intel DX58S0) so thought maybe it was dying down. I checked cpu temps and noticed it was over 100 C and thermal throttling. Then figured out the fan on the CPU heatsink was dead. I replaced it and now temps are closer to 72 C. I kind of thought there would be some huge performance fix, but nah it wasn't that different.

Though hey, the server is no longer thermal throttling, and lives to see more days. 

I'd like to see a video focusing on ergonomic gaming setups. 

Personally I'd like to know more about ergonomic mice, and how they compare to your more typical gaming mice. But you could also look at ergonomic keyboards, explain how to set up your desk/monitor/chairs correctly etc. 

Maybe something like 'The Ultimate Ergonomic Gaming Setup'

Though I'd also like to get feedback/opinions of what it's like to use. Not just someone's opinons after 5 minutes of mucking around with it.

Title: PLAY STEAM GAMES ON YOUR PS VR2 !!!    (or maybe apple vision pro) 

Or something.. After the recent Gamelinked featured the twitter User iVRy who sells a driver for the PS VR i honestly got really curious. I know that Linus really liked the PS VR2, but the lack of supported games on the console makes it a nogo for most. Even sony seams to acknowledge that, since they mentioned they are working on something (probably a streaming solution). 

Now iVRy claim that they managed to run games on the psvr2 without even the need for a ps5 and all running natively on pc hardware over the virtual link bus - if true, that would be really awesome and a big selling point for me buying the damn headset. 

Would love to see a video checking it out and reviewing the results! 

https://twitter.com/iVRy_VR

https://store.steampowered.com/app/992490/iVRy_Driver_for_SteamVR/

PS: they say they are also working on a driver for the Apple Vision Pro!

@LinusTech

Can you do a video that is about to affect anyone using a 4/3G phone??? Here in Canada and I see in the States as well, as we all know 3G is phasing out. Not knowing this, I called my service provider about my phone all of a sudden having poor connection, espe3cially at home. We do all the dum dum things, reset, new sim, apn, etc, only to have them say, "the towers are broadcasting mainly 5G signals now, you may want to consider a 5G device."

Ok, fair, my cat s41 was pretty beat up, 6 years old, I'm due. Buy a perfectly good band frequency capable, Volte capable, Wifi capable android phone(fairly recent model rugged phone), throw in the sim card, no dice, still 4g/3g. Call them, oh I need a 5G plan, gotchya, no problem, they had one with more data, and the same price as my original plan so I upgrade. Phone connects to 5G but no Volte, still drops to 3G for calls. What gives?

Call them, they essentially give me the runaround saying "the phone (model) is not on the "approved device list" and will not work on our services". For security purposes we cannot use this model of phone, only the one's on the list are allowed.

What's the remedy then? oh gee another phone, matching one of the models(samsung A14) on their "approved phones list" put in the sim card, no dice, 4G/3G only in a 5G confirmed network. Well what's going on now? Call them, It's not on the "approved phone model list" "umm I'm sorry, it is an A14, which is shown on your list" to be replied "yes but it didn't come from us"

What is up with this "approved device list"? How is it fair to the consumers of Canada and America that we now are limited to devices on the network carriers "approved list". I don't' want a Samsung, or an LG, certainly not a pixel. I want a(say) Blackview BL88000 pro with thermal imaging for work. A device I can't break and has a job. Since when are network carriers allowed to dictate the phones we use? If we do our research and select proper phones, with the proper technology(bands, etc) why can't I use it? They also claimed "security purposes" as a reason, well, all phones are pretty much made in china, don't care what make or model, if someone wanted to use phones to breach security, they already can/do and will. Do we dictate what car model people drive? What toothbrush to use? Why can carriers suddenly make us choose from a handful of phones from select manufactures to access what will be the only future network, when there are far superior options available?  And if it is "security", why are we in north America so easily able to buy such devices and import them?? Before anyone says imei, yes it was ran threw 6 providers Volte check with all of them saying "not compatible", . Although it truly is and the specs, band frequency's, and hardware show it. With mine saying we aren't allowed to add this make or model.

There's your video, a tale of the old carrier locked phones, now turned "carrier approved devices" what does the future really bring with 5G/Volte?

Hello there,

I got a Video Idea and ive been watching ltt videos since video 1 ( just wanted to say im a long time fan and the channel helped me extremly with improving my knowledge about IT stuff and the whole attitude of the team of LTT media group makes me watch even the videos i wasnt interested in so you all rock is what i wanted to say with that)

so back to my video idea pitch :

make a video about my old pc if ya pay the shipping costs its yours:

its a miracle that this 6-7 year (i forgot) old  machine still functions:

the power supply sounds like a aquarium pump at times

random usb ports wont work and then work again at times

pc survived a flooded apartment

heavy smoker household

was homeless with the pc

pc only worked while laying sideways for six months

cant remove graphics card from motherboard slot anymore (if i had applied more force something would have been destroyed)

millenia worth of dust and gunk buildup

able to play games not on highest settings and stuff sadly but can game

one thing that is pretty good is the 500 mb m2. storage from samsung though

life finally starts to make sense again cause i found a new job and cleared a lot of heavy emotional baggage that i had and i will finally be able barely buy myself a new pc soon so this old sience experiement of a pc would make a fun video idea i believe

if you are interested send me a dm here on the forum i can provide pictures and everything

making a tech bag to fix stuff with product only from youtubers

Bring back pc repair challenge. pit the different departments against one another. maybe do a bracket? 

While scrolling on Youtube Shorts, I came across a video made by Zach's Tech Turf about reviewing Linus' $500 2023 gaming PC build (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WJeUqcHir4c). While looking at the comment, I noticed that Zach's Tech Turf sells prebuilt PC https://www.zachstechturf.com/ . So, I'm interested if Linus wants to make a video reviewing this prebuilt PC.