Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A video that demonstrate how an energy-efficient GPU could be cheaper in the long run, even if it starts at a higher MSRP. (Although electricity bill varies)

Would love to see a video about game servers on older hardware. Specifically how the different generations of ram affect player experience. 

Would ddr 3 vs ddr4 or 5 make much of a difference and so on. 

Thanks for considering.

I think you already mentioned in TechQuickie, but a dedicated LTT video about the Fury GPU (with its creator, and maybe Tynan?) would be really interesting IMO - Albeit perhaps a bit too technical/complicated for most of the viewers 🤔

Linus has done it before, so maybe doing a physical console for the switch like this video but maybe jankier? 

Plus you can then show off the PTM7590 in a Nintendo Switch application?

If yall haven’t already done it, can you do a MOTORCYCLE “dash” cam test/opinion? I know worst case scenario it would be used by the courts to put a bad driver behind bars for a rather bad accident, but at best it could prove I was not riding like a complete tool. In my car I ended up getting the VIOFO a129 plus duo because of your reviews. I’m looking for something to record front and rear like that camera, as you never know what video files could come in handy. 

Just now, AJS11 said:

If yall haven’t already done it, can you do a MOTORCYCLE “dash” cam test/opinion? I know worst case scenario it would be used by the courts to put a bad driver behind bars for a rather bad accident, but at best it could prove I was not riding like a complete tool. In my car I ended up getting the VIOFO a129 plus duo because of your reviews. I’m looking for something to record front and rear like that camera, as you never know what video files could come in handy. 

And to those of you seeing this, if you've/they already did a video on this topic could you link it here? I cannot find it. 

I would like to see you guys cover SpinRite by Gibson Research Corporation. The software is developed by a single developer Steve Gibson and just got a 6.1 release which should have been a full major release but was promised as a free update. The software can be used to recover data or speed up drives. Could also talk about how SSDs can wear and become slow over time

I feel like it maybe a good time to revisit 4k video editing PC since prices have fallen since the last time a video was made. There is also another Canadian content creator who could use your help since I felt like he was getting scammed by getting recommended a 2.5k PC for video editing. Start watching at 1:55, I hate the mobile YouTube app. Just a thought and could be a cool collaboration with a space I’m guessing Linus has no idea existed.  

There is a news item about Framework, and it aint so good

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/frameworks-software-and-firmware-have-been-a-mess-but-its-working-on-them/

Framework has made a statement here:

On a slightly more positive note, I contacted the person who was posting about recieving the broken Framework laptop:

https://mastodon.social/@migy@chaos.social/111265509436439393

That was NOT Intel boot guard locked. and would like to port Coreboot onto (this is ofcourse different from the Chromebook version, as the hardware slightly differs)
He was apparently a bit sick, dint put a presentation at past events and may do so still in the future:

https://mastodon.social/@migy@chaos.social/112230204672516804

So yeah, community is a bit sad, frustrated. But Im hopefull, both for a normal Bios stable release (3.08 being stabe, but called beta) and possibly Coreboot in the future?

Please do a piece on this situation, they ARE hiring a firmware person: https://jobs.lever.co/framework/36bcbf61-332d-4ab8-8c6d-20fffa1ef506

maybe worth pointing out for anyone intrested (also in teipei, 2 job offerings for this) but also unlikely for the unskilled people.Fearly sure you guys can find the firmware threads on the community pages, I get sad (ive posted tons, hope to have spread positivity). Talk to Patel, I dont need to be credited. I own a Framework laptop. Be honest and im hopefull for the future.

It would be awesome to see a long term sub zero rig.

Alex should build one that eliminates condensation worries, uses no consumables (Liquid nitrogen, oxygen or dry ice) and can run for months straight.

If anyone's interested in such an endeavor, I would enjoy discussing it with like minded individuals. If this sounds to good to be true, the design is already done and ready to prototype. 

During the VPN discussion in the most recent WAN show, Linus said VPNs are an important tool in the privacy toolkit. It got me thinking, what else might be in that toolkit, and what new stuff might be coming out to support a truly private virtual presence? My suggestion is a series of videos on the what, why, and how to each of the pieces of a privacy toolkit. For VPNs, looking at what they are, why you might use them, and how to set them up for different use cases. Some other topics might be the TOR browser, some of the intricacies of DNS servers, adblocking, and even things like Meshtastic and LoRa radio devices for decentralized messaging. 

Hiya,

2 suggestions, a new PFSense and ProxMox video detailing what it is and why it is supposedly so good at blocking ads.

Discuss the differences between all the different types of wireless HDMI Tx & Rx kits.  I have been shopping on Amazon and seeing lots of visually different technological differences.  Ones that look just like USB sticks, ones that look like USB cables, ones that have USB or HDMI connectors with antennas, ones that have dongles and even ones that have set top type boxes with antennas.  What are all the differences?  How to pick the right one for your needs?  I am providing a link to my Amazon list of Wireless HDMI Tx & Rx Kits so you can see the differences I am talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/34HM28JW48VX2?ref_=wl_share

Oh, and question with possible suggestion.  Have you ever considered doing a WAN Show as a call in to take comments and questions?  If not I think it would be neat!  I watched one of the most recent ones that discussed Piracy and loved it.  I posted a bunch of really good comments that would have been great to have done if the show was done as a call in show.

Sincerely,

WonderWoman

I think this suggestion might be better as a suggestion for a topic for the WAN Show, but a discussion on the topic about how out of control SM companies are, how they constantly and consistently violate and outright ignore their own TOS on misinformation by allowing well known scams to be constantly posted and monetized.  How they selectively and hypocritically met out punishment for violations of their TOS.  Additionally how their own reporting tools are 100% useless, worthless and archaic and how reports of egregious violators consistently get flatly ignored.  For example, I reported a channel and a video that is based on 100% nothing but Sovereign Citizen (SovTard)  completely incorrect legal information that is so incorrect it is teaching criminal activity, is teaching SovTard financial scams and even went so far as to have a livestream where the channel owner instructed people DIRECTLY to watch a pro-Hitler documentary called "Hitler, the greatest story never told".  I reported the channel and the video and both the channel and video are still posted and monetized.  Absolutely disgusting.  They also allow channels to remain up & monetized that intentionally create content by repeatedly committing criminal activity, by harassing people in public with cameras to provoke confrontations, to intentionally get arrested so they can ebeg for attorney fees (that they don't need because they all cry poverty and demand public defenders) and also additionally keep filing frivolous lawsuits aimed at getting notoriety with intentionally citing the law incorrectly, intentionally recruiting others to do the same thing and to get quick settlements or "go away" money.  This is SM acting like an old school fence by being the middleman taking criminally obtained merchandise (in this case videos created through intentionally and repeatedly committing numerous crimes) and then selling the videos and taking their cut of the ad revenue and any superchats, superstickers or donations obtained during these criminals livestreams.

It is time for people with larger followings to start calling out the SM platforms, just wondering and hoping that the folks with the larger followings will be willing to do the ethical and moral thing and have to balls to bite the hand that feeds them since it is also feeding poison.

Sincerely,

WonderWoman

Considering the newer existence of tools using the Apple Game Porting Toolkit and other software like it (Something like this software called Whisky or crossover), I'd love to see a video covering how easy/hard it is to run "windows only" games on the mac. For example, I installed and ran cyberpunk 2077 on my m3 macbook air and it worked surprisingly well. To see the difference between older games to newer ones and actually gain some decent reasoning behind some decreased performance in older games compared to new. Sonic adventure 2 battle only runs at about 10FPS in game vs the almost 30FPS that Cyberpunk 2077 managed.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.19.12 PM.png

Hearing Linus talk about the 3rd party accessories for the screwdriver, it would be awesome to see a video reviewing / showing off some of those!

Noctua Fan video idea, for portable/ car fridge.

G'day from Aus! When I'm driving in the outback I have a fridge. The 12v fridge (engel) have a compressor and a radiator with a fan. The fan from factory is a fan from the 80s or something, its loud and I feel like blowing on a hot cup of tea has more force and flow. 

So the idea is to measure the performance of the fridges in a hot area (25-35 degress celcius) and see how much power they draw and how the temperature fluctuates based on how well the fridge stays cold. Then replace the fan with a noctua fan (from my research the  NF-F12 is the best fan for this application). And record the results. I had a mate do this in Aus and claimed a 20-30% increase in efficiency depending on ambient temperature and volume of stuff in the fridge. I personally would love to see if this is true, and if alex has any other amazing wacky engineering ideas to improve performance and efficiency of the fridge.

I sadly don't check this forum at all, but watch all the videos and wan show. So would love to see this idea come through. 

Cheers mate,

Cam

Capture.PNG

Capture 1.PNG

How to make a gamig rig out of a sff office pc.
Have one at home, the CPU is Ok but there is no space for a powerfull enough graphics card.

I work 50% from home and 50% on site, to make life easier for me I bought a 2 meter long desk, have my gaming\personal PC using a 38" monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then next to me on the same 2 meter desk is a 34" monitor connected to a laptop via USB C, wireless keyboard and mouse. 

I spend my working from home day sliding across the desk, use my computer and peripherals to watch TV\Movies, slide back to the work side of the desk and watch\listen to the movies TV was working from home.

All the work side was paid for by work, I didn't buy a second monitor\laptop in order to do this.

My video suggestion, how would you organise a working from home and personal rig setup?

I'd really like to see a video about HDR. What is HDR? How do you enable it and how do you make sure it is working properly. Like enabling HDR in windows have never worked properly for me. I always get some type of wierd color tint or brightness suddenly changing. I just bought a MSI 34" oled that supports HDR and would love to learn how to use it properly.

I would love to see a video of how to water cool a projector. Projectors are notoriously hot and loud, where a built-in water cooling system would make a lot of sense if done right. 

Maybe a video on SmartGear gadgets, and how they don't hold up to the awesome tech tools in LTTStore.com. 😏

Here's what I mean:

Need more ideas? There's a whole list on Poshmark: https://poshmark.com/brand/SmartGear

All of these are U.S.-based links. If they don't work for you, try using a VPN to view them, or simply do a web search. SmartGear is everywhere, so it shouldn't be hard to find these things.

The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 CJB

Please make a buyer's guide for getting a UPS!

The top search results for a buyer guide come from UPS vendors.