Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Linus has spoken at length about how bad it is that game developers are allowed to remove servers and not give an alternative. A youtuber with 300K subscribers has created an opening to work on this issue, and explains it here. Maybe a good topic for WAN show?

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Would love a round up of noise canceling ear buds call quality in noisy environments. Use my sonys at work everyday but can't take calls on them as the volume in the factory is about 90 decibels. The person on the other end can't hear me over the factory noise. But it is fine on my phone.

Now that you have all the manufacturing side setup, I'd love to see you guys build a custom pinball machine! It would be a big hit at your lan parties.

Some of the full acrylic sea through cabs are amazing to look at. RGB it out.

Covers: design, hardware, pcbs, programing and hits the gaming side of things.

LixZfO-vmjpsWOy42214GE_up8ZyUAhiZHmRnX0D1v4.jpg

9 hours ago, matjojo said:

Linus has spoken at length about how bad it is that game developers are allowed to remove servers and not give an alternative. A youtuber with 300K subscribers has created an opening to work on this issue, and explains it here. Maybe a good topic for WAN show?

I was Just about to post about this. I completely agree that it would be perfect for the WAN show and would help spread awareness

I would like to see a rundown of the four mainstream handheld computers and how they rank against each other. It would be helpful for those of us wondering how the other side lives and for those looking to buy.

Have you heard that high end Samsung TVs have a game mode that can make 30 FPS games run at 60 FPS?

Maybe you can hook up a console and test that

Use any touchscreen monitor with a Mac

I work in the creative industry and have some programs that run solely on Mac. Other pieces of software I use have been custom built for touch interaction. 

I have been using a software workaround built by a small company for using any touchscreen on a Mac. They have a free trial to test and a small one off cost. It frees you from having to buy a 'mac specific' touchscreen monitor. I use a Kogan USB C portable touchscreen monitor when travelling and a Dell P2418HT. The Kogan one is pretty much what you should be able to do with Apple Sidecart and an Ipad but apple unfortunately doesn't allow this. It feels weird with all the crazy accessibility features available on their laptops and phones, from using eye tracking and facial movements as inputs, to voice control and voice assistant, that enabling touchscreens from a 3rd party monitor or device does not exist natively.

Here is the companies website if this is of interest, whether for a Mac address, short circuit, or full LTT video

https://www.touch-base.com/drivers

any intrest making video bugs inside monitors and tvs? My tv had plenty of warranty left but bugs doesn't include in it 😁 only fix according samsung is to change panel and it cost almost same than new tv.  Annoying but cant afford new tv just like that. Some tips? This really bugs me..... IMG_20240406_181853.jpg.93b753efe8cdc7157555d2629311700a.jpgIMG20240217165425.thumb.jpg.aa544afac02db463429a360d1b61c0e7.jpg

DJI is currently roling out automatic farming drones in big part of asia and us. The technology is ground breaking and is revolutionizing efficiency combined with easy usability and automation. Technology is pretty much unknown at the moment for no reason.

Ready models are T30, T40 and T50.

https://www.dji.com/de/t30

A professional review would be highly appreciated 💪

Love LTT and LMG!! 

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

Mars gaming especially the psus i think they're questionable and i have one. I don't know if you can get them there in us/canada

Just found out there’s this brand called AmpliFi, which is owned by Ubiquiti and have networking products designed more for home use rather than business. I may be a slowpoke here, but never heard about it before and looks like they make cool products.
they have routers that promise to reduce network latency to use with game streaming such as from Nvidia. Would love to see a video from LTT showing and testing the product line!

Sponsored video... Have Alex design and build a custom electric car chassis, filled with Jackery power stations to use as the batteries.  Then drive it around town, à la Top Gear's Geoff electric car

This has been on my mind for a while, and I find it very interesting: testing how the ipc of the various cpu manufacturers changed during the years. You know, they always claim incredible advancements at each release, but how their architectures actually improved if you don’t take into consideration the number of cores available and the higher frequencies?

The idea is simple: take a cpu from each manufacturer from each generation, disable multi threading just for good measure, force the cpu clock to a low, fix and stable value, equal for all the tested CPUs (like 1 or 2 GHz) and run some benchmarks on a single, dedicated, core.

Force a low clock speed and disable multithreadeding should be easily done at bios level and with Linux you can reserve a single core to a single process without any particular struggle.

For the benchmark themselves I don’t know if there are any already done for this precise scope, but any decent se should be able to write in no time a simple naive one that tests these aspects, that I think are the actual important one: 

• Branchless/high vectorizable code: just a loop that run the same, usually arithmetic focused, instructions, without if/else and without reading/writing continuously to memory
  • The same as before, but this time reading and writing on memory at each loop iteration, to check how the cache and memory controller has improved (this should also require to try to match the ram performances from each build, but it think that’s difficult, if impossible, when moving from ddr3 to 3,4 and 5)
  • A very branch rich code, possibly with random branch conditions, to check how the cpu manage those branch misspredictions
  • The same as before, but this time trying to make the branch condition less random, like with 90% chance to always take the same branch. (It would even better if you make the one condition result dependent of some before) This way you can measure how the branch predictors have improved over the generations.
  • Lastly, the last too tests, but introducing a lot of memory rw as in the second test, to check how the architectures improved overall

ps: it would also be nice, when adding to the tests the memory accessed, to check both for sequential and random rw, so you can see how the memory control managed to handle and cache those two cases differently.

Re: WAN show 04-08-2024 AI-voiced Labs videos

Two horrible options: Create an alter-ego, suniL, that is an AI voice based on Linus' and as many people named Sunil working on Mechanical Turk and willing to record themselves reading a little script. Alternatively, just hire users named Sunil from Mechanical Turk to record scripts and make it an honest version of an AI voice. 

Video Idea: Convert DELL "THE SHOWSTOPPER" to a modern PC but installing framework guts.
Thing is the dell showstopper is pretty fantastic for a number of reasons, mainly however it is that it's HUUUGEEE.

So framework is known for its usability in many formats, so as a cool LTT video, this would be really interesting.

dell_xps_m2010_showstopper_notebook_pc_f.webp

Prototype Engineer - Oxford Hackspace

@Jared_Reabow merged your video suggestion to the mega thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 4/7/2024 at 7:28 PM, Slurpo said:

DJI is currently roling out automatic farming drones in big part of asia and us. The technology is ground breaking and is revolutionizing efficiency combined with easy usability and automation. Technology is pretty much unknown at the moment for no reason.

Ready models are T30, T40 and T50.

https://www.dji.com/de/t30

A professional review would be highly appreciated 💪

Love LTT and LMG!! 

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

I work with and hack these professionally, if LTT ever wants to cover them and fancies a trip down under to see AirseedTechnologies, DM me

Prototype Engineer - Oxford Hackspace

Video Idea: procure and review a gaming PC from Cazasouq, a Leading SI and retailer of PC parts and peripherals in the middle east (especially in the GCC area), it operates out of bahrain and has a big-ish youtuber behind it, they have an inhouse brand called "Devo" which sells everything from gaming charis and desks to "gaming" eyeglasses.

@LinusTech

Review sugg: Can we slap Mr. @LinusTech on one of these babies? For science 🫡

Of course it's tech related, the dash is digital.

9 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

Review sugg: Can we slap Mr. @LinusTech on one of these babies? For science 🫡

Of course it's tech related, the dash is digital.

I'd like to see Linus share his opinion on a couple new bikes, and a bunch of tech and gear for bikes as well. 

"Here are some cool new bikes out this year, and a few safety and tech to make your ride better" kind of video.

Today is Eid! On behalf of the Muslim Community, I want to wish you Eid Mubarak. 

Aren't we all tired of having to fumble underneath the monitor to adjust brightness and contrast with some very analog buttons? If you connect your MacBook to a ProDisplay, you're in luck but what about the PC users? 

Let's explore the world of Arduino-based or modded monitors that adjust brightness and contrast from the palm of your hand with having to lean forward. I...don't know if such a world exists...enlighten me! Or be a pioneer yourself LTT!

2 minutes ago, barryatrics said:

but what about the PC users

Check out Monitorian

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I started working from home when I started a new job. Put a fair amount of research into my set up and building out a system that allowed my work laptop to integrate into my set up with a tower. I got pretty sick tyring to switch my perifrials every time I wanted to use my personal perifrials. 

I ended up buying a used dock and powerbrick off ebay ~$120USD vs 300-400 new and a dual in and dual out KVM switch. So all I have to do is plug my work laptop into the dock and hit a buton and my personal perifrials switch over from my tower to the laptop instead of messing up my (mediocure) cable management (LTT store dot com plug oportunity). That way after a long day of work I can hit the button and boom gaming (or these days grad school)

The reason I think this would make a good video is that WFH is quite common theese days. However, unlike in the begging companies are being a lot more stingy with WFH set up help. In addtion, I knew about KVM switches already, but a bunch of my coworkers did not and a couple of them have duplicated my set up. 

A video would have made my set up much easier to complete and should help people who need theese tech tips. 

Thanks

Please run a review of HP's Z Tubo cards and test what main stream SSD drives will work in them as natively bootable in thier systems. Maybe a comparrison of speeds as well compared to thier OEM HP / Samsung drives.  It drives me mad that this information is being hidden by HP like a keeper of the ring and they are making it proprietary. I do know it has something to do with firmware or software implementation on the drives. I also know there is a bypass with unified loaders and aftermarket M.2 Adapters but someone needs to put this into perspective for HP and get the information out there. They use some OEM Samsung drives relabled in most  of them and limited to 2TB. The prices they want are just over the top when you can easily get larger / faster drives to replace them