Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I would like to see if you could do a full custom watercooled build in the HP OMEN 30L case

HP Omen 30L Desktop

I wanna see a throwback of games that used to be part of benchmark suites,that were really hard to run over 60fps maxed settings without the latest hardware and put them up against today's low and high tier to see how far we've come, I'd also be interested in seeing $5000 lmg fan upgrades, like pimp my ride style, someone other than the person submitting their name and Linus shows up to pimp your PC 😄

Maybe hook up with Mr beast and hold a competition of the fans, make em work for it lol

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Hey, as a follow-up to the video about TV stands sucking, I have an idea for tech nerds in tight spaces.

With TVs that can work as monitors now, why not a tech and custom furniture setup that allows you to use the same device for your monitor and your actual main TV. That includes components, computer storage (I use a laptop, but not everyone does), a console or two, an A/V receiver, and desk space. Sort of a desk and TV stand in one. Bonus: I have a turntable, and I want to integrate it with my receiver. I also have two small NAS boxes, a cable modem, and a router.

I work from home, and my desk is also used sitting, standing, and walking on a treadmill.

I want it all combined seamlessly and wife-approved because I am long on tech but short on space.

Hi!

I have one request regarding CPU performance, but this would be applicable to other components as well (mainly GPUs, RAM).

This came to my head while watching the latest video "$10,000 PC from 10 Years Ago", where Linus is pointing out CPU bottleneck, and then mentioning cores and threads; and then they are counting CUDA cores for comparison for the GPUs.

It would be great, if every time there is a mention of some on-paper parameters (cores, frequency ...) there would be automatically also an overlay with some performance test. It could be something simple one so you don't need to install Cinebench, or other big benchmark tools on systems that you don't intent to test (like those Xeon processors in this video), it can be something really small, like the portable IntelBurnTest (still works on Win11 and modern HW), the only requirement is consistency across videos.

Reason? Yeah, those Xeon processors have high frequencies and many cores, but with the old architecture any mediocre laptop chip will probably wipe the floor with bunch of those.

That's why I would love to see anything like GFlops result, so I can immediately tell WHILE WATCHING the video "Oh, I actually know that this CPU is roughly +X% more powerful that CPU I have or know, so it gives me at least any rough idea of the actual performance". Right now, if I want to know this rig's actual performance, I need to go google it and count it. On the other hand, I know that my Ryzen 7 5800H pulls out ~95 GFlops nad my old 2012 mobile i5-3210M pulls ~33 GFlops in the same InteBurnTest v2.54 test. So rather knowing how many CPUs, how many cores on threads, I would like to know, how the machine actually performs compared to something I know.

So if you could just run those test and show them in video as text overlay whenever the host is checking how many this or that the CPU/GPU/whatever has?

Thanks!

And other than that, thanks for your great content 😉

Some company once created a combo DisplayPort+HDMI port! A single port that properly supports both DisplayPort cables and HDMI cables.

My reaction is the same as that guy in that video: It's bonkers! And why isn't this not a thing? This should be more common!

I'm not sure if Linus or the LMG team has ever seen something like that. I bet it would make a good video! It has the Wow factor, the surprising unique piece of technology, and the history behind that company and behind that product, and the reasons why this isn't as commonplace as it should be.

27 minutes ago, Denilson said:

My reaction is the same as that guy in that video: It's bonkers! And why isn't this not a thing? This should be more common!

I'm not sure if Linus or the LMG team has ever seen something like that. I bet it would make a good video! It has the Wow factor, the surprising unique piece of technology, and the history behind that company and behind that product, and the reasons why this isn't as commonplace as it should be.

I love Bringus Studios, and had the same exact reaction when I saw this follow-up video from him. Absolutely crazy shit I've never seen before. 

I'm not sure there's enough here for Linus to do a full video on, as it's more of a fun factoid, but it could certainly be worked into a larger piece if they did a deep drive into DP vs HDMI on a conceptual level. I found the conversation on the WAN Show a week ago to be quite interesting, and would love for those thoughts to be fully formulated in a full length piece.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

How bout you guys do Cisco V. Unifi to see which networking solution is better! (Jake is definitely ubiquiti)

just saw this keyboard, would be perfect for keyboard review 

Givin the rise of the "Glitch in the Matrix" kinda videos on Youtube.  Which I actually enjoy sometimes for nothing but just entertaining and/or to trying to figure them out.

Wish you'd do a show though to educate people on camera phones and how they aren't just "tiny versions" of real camera's.  Looking through the lens alone of a camera that small would give us pictures like super mario bros.  They interpolate and can in fact *must* add information it doesn't have cuz it has to.  Very impressive actually we can get what we get but it's undoubedly behind way to much misinfo.  We need to base our opinions on facts alone as most of us know but if you don't know you would think "it's a camera therefore it reproduces what's in front of it" before any PS of course.  

Thanks and thanks for all the free entertainment over the years.  Take care.

Currently looking for micro SD cards for partners Steam Deck. Looking around on the likes of Amazon or UK retailers websites and see different varieties of the same card, such as SanDisk "Gameplay" 1TB U3, V30, A2 for £108.99, then SanDIsk Extreme U3, V30, A2 for £104.99 and finally SanDisk Extreme Pro 1TB U3, V30, A2 for £129 (though I saw another site selling this for up to £279!)

I think it would be useful to run through the different speed ratings and what each one means so it's easier to determine the right card for the right use case. OR whether all of these different names but within the same specs/speed ratings is nothing more than marketing jargon. Labs could even test the different ones to determine if it actually makes a difference.

UK Links to these products:

Gameplay: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CRHVJY88?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_cp_apin_dp_10P322MPXJMTP25K0FAY

Extreme: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09X7MPX8L?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_cp_apin_dp_3JEJEKWJBXKKN22K0CWN

Extreme Pro: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Adapter-Performance/dp/B07RKL6PK9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3APJD8CHS23X3&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.66IqPDXYQ2p2WHkLFSGGJoRGrFTYskBCRgR3gGaagnhiH4jzF1DNMrb-bh3ycLCW5nWHJY0isTusP0YIvx8uTxrDpVXMm0HezOLChnnnQKrYkF2VQyB-9P_BKZZdiKOk8bxybKmLeb0Cm2SCev5H2izHnTzwFY8sf8gWw41Vpmm98hbWonh8M5cHLmGkJE7ws5yF04zdmZ7TJ7-F8LeRKFVgSyoJKANR4nRCNO1HToA.PHSb_J5eLUUGHg53tEqARhGQ0KycESdy6SnsgJywQbM&dib_tag=se&keywords=sandisk+extreme+pro+1tb&qid=1710700974&sprefix=sandisk+extreme+pro+1tb%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-5

Extreme Pro (high price): https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sandisk-1tb-extreme-pro-200mbs-uhs-i-v30-microsdxc-card-3057201/?_gl=1*117k2v*_up*MQ..*_ga*MjUwMjc4MzU5LjE3MTA3MDEyOTA.*_ga_ZLFTGTQQGN*MTcxMDcwMTI5MC4xLjEuMTcxMDcwMTI5My4wLjAuMA..*_ga_2G3XW55JWX*MTcxMDcwMTI5MC4xLjEuMTcxMDcwMTI5My4wLjAuMA..

It would be an absolute nightmare and honestly probably just not possible because of scheduling but I think they could do a super cool colab with cdawgVA balling out his IRL streaming setup and also maybe coming up with some kind of cool system for ironmouse to have a physical presence in the streams. I would guess that there would be lots of opportunity for novel solutions to the connection challenges and battery and all that kind of stuff.

you guys should do an all razer setup

Hi!

I built a computer with a pSLC NVMe SSD a few months ago, and it is the best damn SSD I've used.

I started looking for an SLC drive, as I've seen 3 (external) SSDs die and many more flash drives, then I found out that they don't do them any more, but there exist pSLC drives, which are rated similarly to what you could expect out of SLC: 60k writes per cell.

The list is small, but there are quite a lot for what I expected.  Then I restricted myself to NVMe, which reduced the search even further.  There's a single pSLC NVMe drive that reaches 320GB:

<https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/solid-state-drives-ssds-hard-disk-drives-hdds/503?s=N4IgjCBcpgLAnFUBjKAzAhgGwM4FMAaEAeygG0QEAOAJgHY6Qi6A2AVhbDacvlqoDMIALpEADgBcoIAMoSATgEsAdgHMQAXyJhBSEKkiZchEuRACqYAXW5EEdWDSojxUyLIUr1W8GzpDofXRsfCJSSAoBFnh4AAZGURBJaTklNU0fGjMcHAATFxAWPUV89zgs1xTPdKIJAE8xPGlcnFQNDSA>

The drive is

<https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/atp-electronics-inc/AF320GSAJA-8BBIP/16537435>

I later saw that ATP has a 640GB drive of the same family:

<https://www.atpinc.com/products/industrial-ssds-nvme-m.2-wide-temperature>

(see the N700Pi)

although I haven't found the 640GB one in any store.

It would be interesting to raise awareness of the existence of these things, so maybe they become more available.  They're expensive, but I'm sure many people would want them anyway.  I'll be getting a bunch of the 320GB ones for a few builds I'll do soon.

Would you mind doing a video reviewing one of those?

Cheers!

Following the recent watercooling maintenance video, what about one on block top repair? I have a waterblock on my EVGA 3090 FTW3, and after leaving it unattended for an extended period I came back and it was cracked to the point of the main o ring. I do not currently use it (as I'm afraid it'll leak and fry the board), EK doesn't have any new plexi tops, and I don't want to get a whole new block when the cold plate, terminal, and aesthetic LEDs still work (photos were taken after I noticed the cracks before turning it off until I can replace the top). I would be happy to send mine in for an attempt at repair if there are none more locally ;).

IMG20240318155504.jpg

IMG20240318155440.jpg

Linus and Elijah go camping.

They could use that portable power supply thing.

They could have survival challenges/tasks like start a fire, get wifi signal, put up a tent.

The theme could be high tech gear for camping.

Test a 40Gb file transfer from an Iodyne Pro Data(Thunderbolt SSD) to your main NAS using some sort of 100Gb NIC between on either a Mac or PC. The thing is 48TB in the form factor of a thiccccc laptop. 

But why you might ask? For content creators with near-set workflows, 100Gb+ internet is not always available or is just too expensive to move source videos around the globe. So sneaker-net from thunderbolt to shared storage is key. 

I'm a crazy nut for E-Paper/E-Ink.  I think it'd be cool to cover a wall in E-Ink tech.  But it's so expensive and weird.  But imagine it:  A non-emissive screen on all of your walls, so it emits no light, but allows you to color change.  You don't need walls animated so the downside of low FPS on E-Paper is not a problem - All you'd need is to make sure to have a somewhat colorful e-paper display and you have infinite wallpaper color changing..   Nobody does this tho

You have previously made a directional link across buildings and a lake. What about something.. farther?

I know "open, free and unrestricted digital radio transceiver. It enables anyone to send and receive any kind of data over both short and very long distances" is not a common thread in your videos, but if it is; a fun project, https://unsigned.io/rnode/ shows a cheaply made device which can do a lot of fun network-stuff, including several kilometers range in urban areas and over 100 km line of sight.

hi Alex ltt, have a video suggestion that could be interesting

solder some pipes to the heatsink heatpipes to make it hybrid and see if it is doable to make a quite gaming PC with a detachable wc, do the same to the GPU 😈

read the full topic to have some context

https://community.frame.work/t/i-have-a-cool-cooling-idea-for-the-framework-team/34607/28

9 hours ago, DataDomain said:

You have previously made a directional link across buildings and a lake. What about something.. farther?

I know "open, free and unrestricted digital radio transceiver. It enables anyone to send and receive any kind of data over both short and very long distances" is not a common thread in your videos, but if it is; a fun project, https://unsigned.io/rnode/ shows a cheaply made device which can do a lot of fun network-stuff, including several kilometers range in urban areas and over 100 km line of sight.

I've done 30km links before and it's outside their ability.
past a few km, 5.8ghz needs massive separation from the earth and the antenna. like 15-20 meters of tower. unlicensed 60ghz is infeasible at this distance and 11ghz licensed may do it but why would LTT bother licensing a link for one video.
The gear you linked at that distance would probably be operating in the 433 range which ok sure it will do it at like 120kb/s but the LTT way is waahhh we want gigabit speed at physically impossible lengths

I think it's time for another "How does LMG make money" video, given that LMG has expanded so much since the last one.

I'd also want (Floatplane Exclusive?) video(s) detailing how videos on each channel are made, kind of like this video but less staged, or this video but with the voiceover being less boring. Are LMG clips made with the help of fanmade timestamps? How much AI is involved in the production process? Those are some small things I wanna know. Also some people actually think the WAN Show writers write what Linus and Luke would do on the show and they are just following a script...

I think LTT should buy a fiber laser welder to use for building custom projects but mainly to burn stuff and make a video about it
come on they are only 10k US

you know you want a 1,5kw continuous wave laser

I'm getting used RTX 2060 for free(it's supposed to work but I'm 50/50) and will be building myself a Windows FrankenBox with parts from Craigslist and FB Marketplace with $300 budget.   Something like this would be a fun vid.  I'm in Maple Ridge, wanna come play?

Hello, 

So I am not sure if this is the right forum or not, and I am somewhat dubious about posting this publicly.  However, despite being a long-time viewer of LTT: I have never submitted a story before... and well this is kind of a big one.  It also is one that is going to require a fair amount of verification on your part (for legal reasons) and that is presently somewhat incomplete. (It is to a point where you can start verifying things while I finish writing since that will take a while.  Or in some cases, I can just supply you with info/sources to fill in some of the gaps.) Further, you will probably want to break it apart, because it is fairly lengthy, but long story short Russia has been using its gaming sector to drive military-related development for about a 20-year period and is presently using this to violate both Canadian and U.S. national security.

As for specific claims, I submit the following. (I don't have all of this filled in and formatted as of the moment.):

1. Gaijin and War Thunder have been experiencing leaks because they have been incentivizing players to submit military-related data. (C1)
  2. Eagle Dynamics helped develop military hardware with the help of Western accomplices, The Fighter Collection, for the UAE. (C3)
  3. Eagle Dynamics and their Western counterparts have ties to the Russian intelligence apparatus. (C3)
  4. This approach started wholesale after 2004-2006 when Eagle Dynamics was able to be accepted as a supplier to the U.S. military. (C4, C2-C3 are background establishing other players) 
  5. In response to this success 1C coordinated multiple gaming companies to flood the simulator market all at once, most likely intentionally, which is why Russian game companies are the primary ones making combat flight simulators anymore. (C6)
  6. Involved companies include Gaijin, 1C, and Eagle Dynamics. (There are more, but those are the main ones I focused on.) (C6)
  7. C7 incomplete. (Letting you know so you don't waste your time reading something with little point to it)
  8. Also included is Wargaming which has also taken funds from the Russian government and was used to help drive military recruitment. (C8, incomplete)
  9. C9-C10 incomplete.
  10. In at least one case a gaming company used "fleeing" Russia as a cover for seemingly clandestine purposes, and Gaijin is involved. (C11, incomplete)
  11. Eagle Dynamics is being used to help advance military hardware development in areas like pilot training. (C13)
  12. Eagle Dynamics Studio has been involved in designing and creating software for UAVs like the Kronshstadt Orion (C14)
  13. EDS has been directly working with Sukhoi and potentially Ilyushkin on projects as well as most likely working on dirigible designs for the Artic region. (C15)
  14. C16 covers procurement for the US and other allied militaries but is incomplete at the current time.

To support these I am supplying the following which is around 140 pages long.  I understand that is a lot to take in and process, and so I wanted to give you an upfront list of the content included to make it easier to evaluate hopefully. Most of this investigation has involved forensic accounting and a lot of paperwork digging. Sources are mainly directly from the state and interviews, with very little in the way of me relying on the speculation of others. I also have tried to include plenty of relationship maps, charts, and related visual material to make everything hopefully easier to understand, which is in part why the document is so long.

I have been researching Eagle Dynamics, 1C, Gaijin, and other game developers and their role in connection with the Russian government for about the last year. I was hoping that this is something that you might consider covering given it is gaming-related and I know you have to have a number of simulator fans on your staff that will most likely be familiar with the companies involved.   That said, this might be outside the scope of my consideration given your relative background.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oSQ9W4_0UwKMvURWCs80AIQJ59OB6ph0X98QKu2vo60/edit?usp=sharing

If you would please review and consider, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.

SJ

P.S. Most of this is U.S.-specific, but I have verified and checked that Eagle Dynamics Studio is a supplier for the Canadian government as well. 
ED MISSION SYSTEMS SA (Register number: CH-217.0.131.690-6) is headed by a former Liftec SA employee (they get mentioned frequently in my report and are associated with the Russian oil industry) Patricia Dozio-Golaz.  Presumably they are being used for Canada because she parles Francais. They are assumed to operate like most of EDS' other sub-entities, where any work they might do gets run through Russia either through the Moscow Aviation Institute,  Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Professor N.E. Zhukovsky Aero Hydrodynamic Institute[TsAGI], or one of the other arms of the Russia's Military-Sciences apparatus.
https://canadabuys.canada.ca/en/tender-opportunities/contract-history/w2604-22jp10/001/stn-000

2024-03-20 02_25_40-ED MISSION SYSTEMS SA (W2604-22JP10_001_STN~000) - Contract History _ CanadaBuys.png