Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

a basic rundown on custom NAS builds depending on amount of users

3 hours ago, NotFakeName said:

I just want a video series Linus vs Linux where Linus would be using linux on pc and laptops and see when it would be bricked 😛

They've already done a video series on that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 8/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, Lucian Andries said:

It doesn't protect you in any way! That small toy is just marketing crap. There are no HOME protections against Solar Storms and EMPs. And even if it exists, it'd be as huge as a truck and cost $1 million... If you are that scared and paranoid, build yourself an underground bunker. smh

As for lightning protection, the best one is a lightning rod that is grounded.

But seriously, you can google this stuff and learn about it! But not from toy manufacturers, learn from science websites.

Solar storms actually induce current in power lines that are connected to your home, and lightning strikes can travel down power lines directly into your home. For a lightning strike to be grounded through a homes grounding system it would have to travel through the main breaker first then back out the ground wire. Why not prevent that surge from entering in the first place with a spd...

For someone arguing about this on a forum so aggressively you should have probably have know that? Learn "from some science websites" 🤣

If spd's were a big old scam as you're suggesting then why would reputable companies like Siemens or Eaton  manufactur them. 

Telegraph operators were seriously injured during the Carrington event, a solar storm there's literal historical documentation contradictory to what you're suggesting, electronics are susceptible to solar activity. I'm honestly not sure why you're so up in arms over a harmless video suggestion that doesn't even pertain to you. Go bother someone else. ✌️

Re-watching the attic memorabilia episode had me thinking:

A) Using the first case Yvonne ever gave him - the Silverstone TJ07 in a build with period-appropriate items and gaming period-appropriate games on it.  This should be "in honor" of a milestone anniversary or something.  Extra points for building matching his&hers period appropriate computers

B) re-do the guiness world record with current staff - anyone who wants to go for a hike at least.  Combine with Starlink, the microwave dish repeaters, or other cool "outdoorsy" tech like those power bricks from jackery or anker or whomever (Maybe even a double-sponsor 2 or 3 team series using different products and gear)  

C) content to support "most portable gaming rigs - mountain edition" using LTT backpacks as a case

D) with all the new kids the crew is having, start stashing away fun stuff to give them when they hit a certain age.  that keyboard from your birth year was really cool and you could either mill or buy a bunch of cool keyboards, laser engrave (using a glowforge or whatever) and give them to the kids when they turn 6? 10? whatever appropriate age.

E) Speaking of glowforgem with the success of the Cricut machine vid, Yvonne (or maybe Alex, or Coltin) should do more crafting content - for example the glow forge or a CNC router or something cool to make wood stuff

F)  In the theme of wood, or more specifically a woodshop, what about making a 'dustproof' PC - or something that's stupid easy to clean.  Maybe some externally mounted cooling solution that keeps the core bits isolated with gaskets or something and is easy to blow out?  Or do testing on "non" cooled PCs to see what performance can be gained by underclocking or passively cooling somethign.  Maybe interesting case testing?  

you could try to build a pc with older hardware running older operating systems, for example, building a windows 7 pc, or building a windows xp pc. that would be cool

Maybe this is something for LTT lab. I always wonder if 3rd party USB C charger are doing what they claim they do, or in other words hitting the max wattage they claim. 

Maybe similar to the HDMI cable tester, you guys can build something that can test how many charging mode the charger supports? What's the maximum power the charger can draw? Maybe that data can shed some light on how many kind of devices it can power? Encourage electronic device designers to use more USB C in long run to push for charger standardization to reduce electronic waste?

Maybe hook up the charger to something it is not supposed to power, say for example, a RTX3090, see if the charger make magic smoke lol.

Linux reviewed the Pimax 8K. Since then they have released the Pimax 8KX KDMAS and 8KX DMAS. Would you review these as well? Also if you can get your hands on it review the Pimax 12K that is coming out soon?

What are the chances of a review/roundup of IEMs (in ear monitors) for gaming/music/etc at different price points? I feel like not many people have heard of them, know what they are, or how well they stack up against even high-end gaming headsets.

I ask because for a long time I would get headaches after long gaming sessions and thought it was my eyes so I invested a considerable amount of $$$ into monitors, new eyeglasses with special blue light blocking coatings, changing lightbulbs, and a whole bunch of other stuff, but the headaches didn't go away. At the time I was using a pair of Razer Kraken Tournament Edition headphones. They sounded great (at the time) and were comfortable, but my wife suggested one day that maybe it was from having my head ever so slightly squeezed by my headphones for hours on end that was maybe causing my headaches. I did some research and settled on IEMs, but not wanting to spend a fortune on something I was unsure about, I spent <$30 for a pair of KZ KSN Pros and the difference was immediately noticeable. No more headaches and I could actually hear the fine details in the sound design of my games. Games where sound is life-or-death (Escape from Tarkov) I found I was able to pick out subtle sounds from much farther away. With music I never realized just how muddy the sound was through my headphones from the over-boosted bass. The IEMS still produce excellent bass, but it's tight and punchy and doesn't drown out the mids. The highs are crisp and clean without being ear piercing even at high volume. I guess that's to be expected from a product made for musicians rather than a gaming peripheral company trying to make sound equipment.

TLDR: IEMs are inexpensive and sound friggin' amazing compared to gaming headsets and everyone's been sleeping on this amazing improvement to their audio life.

I would love to see a video that compares the top brands for remote desktop software: Teamview, Gotoassist, Anydesk, zoho, splashtop, ect... Their pros and cons, network vs remote connections, how easy is it for the customer to use or install if needed. (walking somebody through having to enable screen recording and accessibility on mac is starting to drive me insane). Pretty much anything a smaller IT team would come across who helps internal staff and external customers from a remote position through remote access software. 

I understand for longevity the video wouldn't age the best as new brands come out and systems change but just to focus on the ease of use in 2022 as most customers are still pretty hesitant of 1 time use remote access software even when they are looking for support. 

Coworker and I were discussing this idea and we think it'll be... Dumb but also entertaining with a dash of danger mixed in.

Have a PC power (and heat) a deep fryer.

Not by just power but by heating it with the heat the PC makes via the GPU and CPU and then deep fry something with it.

How would that work? I'll leave that up to you and your team.

This all came about from a coworker talking about a story in highschool where a student project was to build a PC and one team cooled it with vegetable oil.

I saw someone talking on Reddit about where they could find a "dumb" TV. I sent a message to your question form on the LTT website, but I didn't copy and paste, so I'll try to remember it all for here. Anyway. Is there a way to take a smart tv, access it via a PC or other device through the service port, diagnostic port, whatever you wanna call it, and modify the firmware, software, delete or enable functions, etc.? 
I knew a fella in the Army who, in his past life, used to repair flat screen TVs and he told me all kinds of fanciful tales about swapping motherboards, screens, etc and building overall better TVs by swapping around parts, or at least getting one with a bad control board or screen to work again. Now, I can't validate any of the information he told me but it sounds potentially legitimate. 
I would love a series on grabbing older, or even new TVs and hacking them, upgrading them, swapping parts around, or any other fun stuff that would be a complete violation of warranties. Maybe there's a way to increase refresh rates with a different control board on a higher quality screen? Maybe you can uninstall all that built in Roku, Samsung, Sony UI junk and make it "dumb" so you can use an external device to stream media to it? Maybe you can just pull it apart and add heat spreaders or water cool a TV so you can overclock the existing internals? I have no idea, that's for you to find out and us to watch. Believe me, I'd watch all of that twice and probably try some of it after a trip to my local Goodwill. 
It would be really interesting if there were a way to increase a TVs internal storage because I've had to uninstall apps on my Samsung TV before because it ran out of space. If we could slap a SSD or NVME in there, or swap in bigger memory chips or whatever its got going on in there, that would be awesome. 
So, yea, long story short, water cooled, high storage capacity TVs with roms, emulators, VLC, media files, and somehow a keyboard and mouse in there. Maybe that's asking too much, I have no clue. I'm not a TVologist. 

Couple of suggestions for products I have recently stumbled across online which could make good ShortCircuit reviews.

Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 or Touch - very highly rated earphones from renowned UK audio equipment manufacturer Cambridge Audio. https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/can/en/products/headphones?f[0]=taxonomy_category%3A15

Pela Lomi composter - a good addition to Sarah's recent series of reviews on ShortCircuit, a fancy $500 home composter. https://pela.earth/products/lomi

Thanks and keep up the great vids!

What do you think of a workstation build for me. I can supply two Xeon Gold 6240's for the build. One you can keep or sell and the other could be put in the station, if needed I can send a third.

Edited by Kilrah
Contact details removed

Hi Linus & The Team!

I just watched the Carbon Fibre Laptop video and I see why Linus hates the laptop. It was an inhuman idea to ship with Ubuntu! With the hardware the manufacturer had chosen? Really was no match for Linux at all. To write Linus' face on it? Was just a stunt to save themselves!

I was even more stunned when Linus called out the penguins as deluded!
In Linus' defense there are glaring technical issues that prevents Linux running well on this machine:
  • The proprietary NVIDIA driver has little to no support - and is the reason there was the screen tearing and delay
  • Ubuntu/Canonical has lost it's touch - and is the reason why the nvidia driver was not even loaded! Lol

I think the Linux fanboys (myself included), would love to see a desktop benchmarking video similar to the Steam Deck using

• a highly supported GPU such as AMD (since these cards can take advantage of MESA - the 3D graphics library that the Steam Deck uses)
  • A much more stable distribution like Manjaro (Arch-Linux based) or SteamOS https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

I am confident that the video will be as big as every Linux video that has been published so far - I think the Steam Deck was a true testament to the power of Linux & it's software and it was a shame that only few videos that are published are about Linux.

I think that your community enjoys and appreciates these types of videos because the topic is uncommon - it's software vs software, unlike hardware vs hardware. Finally, you will be able to benchmark two completely separate pieces of x86/64 operating systems - Like you already had done with the Steam Deck - and to ignore the opportunity is a deluded and ignorant option.

I believe that the community would love to see the same set of benchmarking and tests that was documented from the Steam Deck, to statically show on paper the advantages and the disadvantages of using Linux on a normal desktop machine (with Anthony at hand if anything goes unexpected)

Keep up the great work, Linus Media Group!

LTT Labs idea: Paranoia Power

Measure battery life of devices by rigging the most power hungry gauntlet your team can imagine, like turn off all power saving features, modify the cooling so it won't thermal throttle so you can put more power in it, run furmark and prime95, have devices with OLED screens just be white, have the audio output emit the highest frequency the driver will allow into high impedance headphone, Plug in all the USBs, (maybe be reasonable there, pre-fast charging standards) have the Wifi card work as hard as possible transferring files bidirectionally and measure how long it takes for power to go down.

The point of this is this would be a nice flex for device makers and good for consumers who can get a number they can play around with that they're 100% certain their workload won't be more power intensive because "real world battery life" is very subjective and the consumer would be better than the paranoia metrics, but probably not as good as the cited subjective "real world battery life".

ScPrime - a Distributed Cloud Storage network. I work with this project that's producing something technically very interesting but also a service which you may be interested in for off-site backups of all your video footage. We have a series of products from the XA-Miner which is a pre-built and configured storage provider that people can buy and run in their homes, DIY software to make a provider from your own PC by running our software on it to turn it into a storage provider, the relayer which customers who want to store their data on the network of storage providers install in their premises and use S3 compatible apps to point their data at the relayer which encrypts and shards the data before sending those shards out to the storage providers based on the provider set the customer chooses (for example only store my data on providers in Canada) and then XNS Services which is the cloud storage product akin to AWS S3 cloud storage but for significantly cheaper rates. The project is ready to launch to paying customers and I can see a series of videos around the different aspects of the project as well as you guys using the network to backup those PB's of archive footage in case you had some sort of disaster type situation in your server room where all your content is currently stored. The project is looking for early adopters where we can significantly subsidise the storage costs in the early months while you try out the network and familiarise yourself with the relayer and what it's capable of.

https://xapro.net/ is the site for the XNS services

https://xaminer.net/ is the site for the XA-Miner storage product.

Reach out to me if this would be of interest to you guys, I think it would make for some cool content and would see some of your viewers learning about the project and becoming providers themselves and end up storing parts of your video archives on their home network.

An idea for a slight improvement of videos: when you guys make a mistake while speaking and correct it in the video by overlaying the corrected statement in letters, it would be SOOO much better to overlay a soundbit as well. If possible, by the person who speaks, but even if its by the editor, its fine. Many people listen to your vids in the background and based on your size, I can imagine a few blind people listening in as well. Its not hard to do and goes a long way to reduce the amount of false information and mistakes in the videos. 

You do a lot of videos on Gaming PC builds which are great. However, I was hoping you could do 1 mid budget and 1 high budget PC builds that are designed to run CAD software but can also game when needed. In particular 3D geom software such as, Catia V6 (3dExperience), Blender. And possibly Fusion360 for the hobbyists.

Then compare them against Gaming dedicated machines to see if there is any real world advantage between them.

Thanks.

Blue Light / UV Glasses for people who are using computers a lot for gaming and work. Are they effective and why is there so much snake oil? Are they worth the investment? Or would something else be better for a users eyes? 

A PC system with dynamic 4 webcam view out of scrapped old laptop parts

With the hack of the John Deere system in the news, it would be interesting to have a review of a tractor that has this system to see how the system is being used.  This would help inform everyone about how this is affecting farmers.

Or at least we might get a video of Jake trying to drive a tractor.