Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What I always find absent from video card reviews is....how do they stack against previous generations.

Not everyone steadily upgrades their video cards with every generation.  In fact, only the enthusiasts do.

For example....I have an old AMD HD 7800 Pro which was top of the line back when it came up.  How does that performance compare to even the lowest current GPU?  Is the high end of one generation still faster then the low or middle next...or 2 generations on...or three?

With the global GPU shortage I simply flogged my card because I refused to pay the horribly inflated pricing of the past few years.  However, things have obviously changed considerably.

Thanks

Stuart

BUILD A MINORITY REPORT PC....and hell, use that transparent OLED (LED?) that you purchased sometime ago.  

There are gloves with heptic feedback gloves now so you should be able to make a Minority PC setup.

Cheers

Stuart

GPUs with 12-pin are coming, where are the PSUs?

Only very high end PSUs?

I edit my posts more often than not

I have a racing simulator and I was wondering if having a lot of USB devices attached and programs open to run the simulator impacts PC performance and how much vs just playing with a keyboard and mouse or controller. And not just wheel and pedals, setups with motion and gauges and buttkickers. Do these programs and devices impact performance when gaming and if so, what is the best upgrade to a PC to alleviate it?

Hi, just made an account. Mainly did it after hearing Linus talking about how expensive it is to own your own home in BC. 

Don't know if anyone here has heard of Boxabl https://www.boxabl.com/ (searched the forum and since there was no mention of it I decide it was worth mentioning it). Basically their whole sales pitch is that they'll make modular houses (currently only one module in on sale, it's called the Casita - about 400 square feet of living space) on an assembly line. Here's the kicker they priced their Casita for $50k USD. 

The house is designed to be modular so you could attach additional modules later on when you have more $.

I promise on the almighty gaming gods that I am not advertising for Boxabl, nor am I on their payroll. Just posting this here in case it can be of some use to the LTT crew. 

I've heard of one person in BC that has bought a Casita so I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it here.

Hope this is of some help.

Would like to seen wireless HDMI dongle tested on the cable tester. 🙂

I had posted about this on the LMG discord under the Wan Show regarding the topic of the Apocalypses PC, Suggesting the Apocalypses RV instead for a more content deep video. I not sure, if this is the right place to suggest it, but here goes...Forgive the repost from discord. please.

"Given how the wan show discussed the apocalypses PC vid went.....I have a potential Vid concept. Apocalypses RV! 

it would be no doubt content Rich....can you even buy a solar powered RV (as in an electric vehicle?)

Can you get internet good enough to stream from on the move. Because who doesn't frag zombies on stream while running from zombies irl?

Personal note: Been looking for a new home for me and my father. As a small streamer nd knowing he wants to travel in his retirement...this would be a two birds one stone kind of thing. We do have a small nestegg to invest if this project happens. If anyone on #lmgstaff wants to DM we can talk details."

That all reposted here, there was discussion from a couple other users, that gave some pros and cons.

Con/Pro, it seems that Jerryrigeverything has done a video just adding panels and a battery to an RV, So to go the extra content mile fully converting an RV to an electric vehicle would be the challenge if we want to push the content further. (this was pointed out by Tassadarforaiur) 

Pro/Con, Getting StarLink to work for the Apocalypses RV for mobile internet is an interesting possible sponsorship opportunity, Setting up the network, running cables, adding RGB and all the logistical nightmares of setting things up in a house on wheels, would make for a solid vid. ( this was pointed out by Chaschuky999 )

I think sourcing EV Conersion kit that would work for an RV, an RV that is salvageable that fits my needs and rigging it up to keep me streaming if Starlink is the only thing leave running would make for an amazing bit of content. A per my original post on the discord, I do have a nestegg to draw on as I plan on keeping the RV afterwards, this would be great to line up a number of sponsors. Jackery would be great if we need to drop extra panels to boost our power generation, getting in touch with a company that does EV kits might open up a new line of sponsorships and does Starlink do sponsorships?

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry in advance if this isn't the right location to post this topic.  

10 hours ago, Meltman said:

Thank you for your time and I'm sorry in advance if this isn't the right location to post this topic.  

Thread for LTT Video suggestions for video ideas. I've moved your suggestion over to the right thread for you.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I saw an article regarding this project and I figured it would make a great video. https://plasma-bigscreen.org/#openup

I am absolutely sick and tired of proprietary software on TVs that push their platforms and advertisements. Time to take back control. I am eager to be trying this open source project on my Samsung tv. 

Sooooo been trying to find laptop docking stations and ran into some thing 'intersting' ,heavy sarcasim, it would seem the industry has forgotten what the difference between a docking station, a port extender and hub.  How hard do you think it would be to find a docking station to run a laptop with a power button on it 🤔.... Verrrryyy... a quick search on Amazon will show ya how bad the problem is... and google isnt much better since most reviewers seem to have forgotten that one of the key features to a docking station is controlling a closed laptop.   Not sure how intersting an idea it is but it seems manfatures may have lost focus on simple titles. 

Hey, I work at Canonical on MAAS (Metal As A Service) and thought it might be interesting for you to look at: https://maas.io/

It's an open source tool for creating and managing a cloud with physical machines. I know you guys do server-related stuff from time to time so I thought this might pique your interest.

I can't think of a channel better suited than LTT for this idea:

a How to on removing the Anti-Glare coating on a matte screen. Some people (like me) notice anti-glare coatings big time and hate them, sadly they're almost impossible to avoid.

Who sells Glossy screens at the moment?

• Apple has the Studio Display / Pro Display XDR (for the mere price of your firstborn) with close to no anti-glare. I think they just treat the glass panel rather than sticking something on the actual screen)
  • Eve (a company LTT has done a rather negative video on before)
  • Terra (who!? The 2766W that almost no one has in stock and definitely not for a decent price)
  • Old screens on ebay (The korean monitors of a decade ago like the QNix QX2710)

How to do it?

On the bright side - almost any(?) monitor can be made into a glossy one by dismantling it, soaking the anti-glare layer with wet tissues and ripping the whole thing off. 

There's people sharing having done and how they did this on youtube and elsewhere just search for "remove anti glare monitor". 

Why would you do it?
Anti-glare coatings work by diffusing light making reflections blurry (less sharp), however! This work both ways a matte monitor is less crisp than a glossy one. 

Why would you NOT do it?

1) You will 100% void your warranty 

2) You're left with a 'bare' screen which when you inevitably sneeze in its direction will be near impossible to clear whatever sticks to it off.
One workaround I thought off is making your own monitor enclosure and adding a glass or plexiglass protective sheet. Or getting a glass front monitor (if there are any, because that would be the worst of both worlds, anti-glare dirty look and reflections!) and using that as the base.

LTT Script format:

**GUEST AUTHOR: Axeia** 

**FLOATPLANE TITLE:**
How to turn a matte display into a glossy one

**YOUTUBE TITLE:**
Monitor manufacturers don't want you to know this one simple trick
Finally I Can See Clearly Now
How to improve almost any monitor!
My monitor is sullied and all I need is some tissues

**SLOGAN** 
How to get more enjoyment out of your computer using tissues *wink*

**THUMBNAIL**
Wide eyed Linus holding a box of tissues excitedly staring at a monitor

**PRODUCT LINK:**
Link to whatever monitor was used to demonstrate the process

**YT DESCRIPTION:**
Matte monitors blur reflections but they blur the image as well, with the help of some damp tissues and some patience you can get a clear unobstructed look at what you screen should really look like.

**Credits - businesses / Creators who helped us make this video**

**GENI.US LINK(S):**

Buy (product):
On Amazon (PAID LINK):
On NewEgg (PAID LINK):

**HOST and A-ROLL SHOOTER: Check for visible emails, addresses, phone #'s, IPs, QR/barcodes, keys, passwords, shipping info, embargoed info, certain names etc.! Remove them or cover with tape!**

HOST or A-ROLL SHOOTER: if screen recording, read "Screen capture HOW TO for writers v2.docx"

TL;DR: Always do a short test, create sync points, check the recordings before, wrap, & copy to L-roll.

**A-ROLL SHOOTER: Shoot a Thumbnail Image If Not Done Already**

**THE VIDEO BIBLE**
A hook/intro that grabs people's attention *FIRST FRAME SUCKS THEM IN*
Addressing the title/thumbnail in the first 10-20 seconds
A naturally embedded *relevant* merch call-out
An affiliate link call out (do not add word count for this just add "which we have linked below" somewhere natural)
An upcoming video that should compel people to subscribe
A throw to a compelling related video that this viewer might want to watch
A primo "gif-able" moment

B ROLL SHOT LIST
- Linus gesturing the camera to get closer and saying in a muted a voice "You know that box of tissues on your desk, it has another use"
- Linus's face covered in Dorito dust reflected on a glossy monitor

1-1
So what is the big idea here? Well... it's simple! Matte monitors have an anti-glare coating applied to them that diffuses light to reduce reflections. It's a great feature when after a long gaming session you don't want to see a perfect mirror image of your tired face covered in dorito dust the second you turn the screen off. 

*cut to B-ROLL*

*1-2*
An Anti-Glare coating like on this monitor can do a great job at obfuscating the details and making the reflections a lot less pronounced. So anti-glare coatings definitely have a use, they do however a downside. They work both ways,

not only is the reflection diffused the image your screen is trying to show you gets diffused as well. Not everyone is equally sensitive to this, some of you might have never noticed it and some may have simply not known why they their screen has a 'dusty' or 'sparkly' look. For monitor manufacturers it's a balancing act, a heavy anti-glare layer will heavily cut down on reflections but it will also obfuscate the screen itself more. On the other end a very light application might give a clearer image but also leads to sharper reflections. The advantage to a light (or no) anti-glare coating is that colours 'pop' a lot more and it looks like there's more contrast.

If you think you know better than the manufacturer of your (matte) monitor than there is the option to get rid of the anti-glare layer. This is however not without risk of damaging or straight up killing your screen. However for us brave individuals who aren't afraid of taking on a challenge the tools needed are actually pretty simple.

You'll likely need are some tissues (I can see that box on your desk there *wink*), a spray bottle, and finally some plastic spudgers and possibly a screwdriver (lttstore.com). This will be dependent on the specific monitor you're trying to do this to. We are using a ... ?sponsored monitor?. 

To get to the anti-glare layer first we need to open the monitor exposing the screen itself. Every monitor is different but the procedure should roughly be the same for most. Lie it down on a soft surface like a towel taking care not to scratch the screen and remove some screws and work your way around the screen with a plastic spudger.
*dismantle screen*

Now that we got the screen exposed is exposed all we need to do is cover it in damp tissues and wait for the anti-glare layer to loosen up so we can peel it off. This can take anywhere from two to eight hours.

*Cover the screen in tissues and spray them wet*
*Wait a couple of hours*

2-1
Now for the peel experience the manufacturer didn't want you to have we'll slowly peel the very top layer and only the top layer off. The screen can be compromised of many layers and the only layer you want to remove is the anti-glare one. 

*Peel the AG-layer off*
Now we'll just let everything dry overnight and come back to this tomorrow.

3-1
Alright, let's put this thing back together, power it on and enjoy a screen that's more clear than it's ever been before! 

Well will you look at that, the screen is obviously a lot more reflective but at the same time the screen is a lot more clear.

Now would I recommend that everyone does this to their monitor? No, the risk of the monitor breaking is definitely there but if you really can't stand the anti-glare coating there really aren't many options out there to get a screen without one. Eve has one but our experiences with the company were less than stellar and Apple's screens don't appear to have one but at the price of one of those you could try this on a screen, break it, realize you don't need a glossy monitor THAT bad, buy another screen.. and still have spend less.

If you liked this video consider watching Jonathan taking a look at the Apple Studio Display which is one of few monitors that's (pretty glossy) to start with over at Mac Address.  

1 hour ago, NastyFlytrap said:

I think you have no clue how much money it'd take to bankrupt LTT at this point

Also, putting all the most expensive components into one case isnt really an entertaining video

Also, something that should be mentioned as well @CipherH is that LTT has done a video about a PC that they advertised as being $100,000 though as they failed to obtain the necessary number of Quadros to have it be 100k. So there would need to be an additional hook over just it being really expensive.

Video Suggestion:  Junkyard Wars University Edition:  Reach out to any number of universities to see if they're interested in competing in a budget limited "Linus Dream" system in a closet - cluster of cpus, gpus, networking, storage, accelerator cards, cooling, thin clients. 

Give the universities 2 years. Hook everyone up with industry contacts, see if you can't get some grant money.  

Perhaps you have a gamer, a video editor, a machine learning program, a digital audio workstation, a media streamer, local and remote computing.

The systems are scored under a system that LTT sets up.

Example:  Cost [Cost of Hardware + 10 x Annual Cost] is limited to some number (eg $40,000)

Gamers [latency, frames per second, lost frames]

Video Editor [time to render, responsiveness]

Machine Learning Program [time to finish]

Security/Backup....

etc.  The rules need to be explicit, but the exact testing unknown to the competitors.

Annual cost should include energy use including cooling, maybe also include some sustainability measures, ewaste numbers, analysis.

Host a monthly "gathering of minds" where the students are able to ask technical questions, discuss issues, share solutions with industry leaders.  Leverage your youtube contacts and invite creators to explain their workflow and needs and gripes.  It's game developer month.  It's frontend coder month!  It's music producer month!  It's video/film director month!  Maker month!  IoT month!  It's "how do I properly cool a closet if I don't have a pool" month!  It's heatpipe month!  It's setting up a VM month!

What do different users of computers want?  Security, privacy, speed, uptime, dataloss prevention, etc.

I need more coffee.  

By the way, I want a phone optimized to be a thin client.  Grab my phone, my e-ink screen that I can read in broad daylight and sips electricity, my dactyl manuform mechanical keyboard, and open up Visual Studio Code, remote in to my Linus Machine, and run some crazy ML code in Rust.  Or have a thin client that I've attached to my Focusrite and do some remote recording outside, or do some recording in any room in my house with an ethernet outlet.  Closet compute.

Also, it might be nice to see how you might integrate the closet into cloud VMs.  If I need MORE compute for a big render, I just rent some Cloud VM render farm.

Hi my name is Will and I am 12 and I am in the market for a gaming laptop. Could you review gaming laptops under $1,100. (Linus inspiration video) This is what I am looking at: ASUS ROG strix g15 (2021) RYZEN 9 5900HX, RTX 3060.

I love your videos and I have learned a lot from you.

There are so many thunderbolt/usb 4 docks now. It would be cool to have a roundup and general review of some of the best docks in different categories - it’s become quite a confusing market!

I had a GENIUS idea for a dumb video:

Gaming setup in a suitcase

Basically gaming PC and monitor in a suitcase for ultra portability. I'm talking a cutout in the side of the suitcase to hold the monitor, You're on the train? Slap that suitcase on the table, have the PC and monitor etc plugged into a powerbar and plug that shit in and boom

Would be cool to have a video where you build a (consumer level) router with good enough specs to host things like file servers and maybe even game servers. A router has a reason to always be on, might as well make a more powerful one that can host other things that benefit from being on 24/7

So I just finished watching the LMG clip about the new youtube ad rollout (5 - 10 ads per video), and I immediately came over to make an account just to post this idea. The video made me want to share the weird situation I've been having in the last year or so: For some reason I have zero ads on my youtube - I do not use any adblockers and I do not have youtube premium. My video idea is basically to investigate this topic and publish if the findings are interesting.

So I have a suspicion on what may have caused this but I've not been able to confirm. I think this is related to a particular mobile game I have on my phone, the type where you can watch ads for certain rewards. In my case after playing a week or two and watching a few ads everyday, the ads would "run out" where the game tells you that "there are no ads available" and then you receive your reward anyway. Normally I only download mobile games very casually to kill a few mins here and there then delete them after a while (you know, since PC's exist), however I've kept playing this one just for this perceived benefit. All I do now is wake up in the morning, try to watch a few ads for rewards on this game (only one or two would work then they "run out"), go on with my day and do the same before bed at night. 

I completely stopped getting ads on youtube while logged into my Google account, I don't have youtube premium, I have no browser extensions and I do not use any VPN's. It's exactly the same on my phone, TV, and web browsers on my PC & Laptop. The moment I log out of my Google account I get ads again, this must mean its linked to my account somehow. The game is also logged into my Google Play account - but can't 100% confirm this is the game and I have not spent any money on this game either. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if its something I'm not thinking of?

Since not too long you've reviewed dashcams I thought a review of the comma three from comma ai would be great. It could be a HOLY $H!T video since it does cost 2000$ for the base model or or 2500$ for the cross country model which comes with a 1TB Samsung 980. (It would be interesting to see if you can upgrade the SSD yourself).

Mind you this is more than a dash cam, it's supposed to upgrade your car to full self driving and they argue that they are "two generations ahead of a leading electric car maker" which is probably a dig at Tesla, but the cameras on it look to be amazing as well overall. It uses openpilot which is an open source project and apparently supports over 200 cars with the oldest one listed being from 2014. You'll also need a car harness to connect your car to this thing which is an additional 200$ on top of this. It is worth mentioning that out of those 200 cars not all can support all the features. They list the supported cars and respective supported package and require harness here https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/blob/master/docs/CARS.md

image.thumb.png.e2e9c06e3a93d1c7c3ef7fd34b6c37e8.png

c3-back_1280x960.jpg?v=1638258781c3-0_1280x960.jpg?v=1638258781

Framework just announced a Chromebook offering.  In my eyes, this is a sustainability fail and Linus should call them out.  Chromebooks come with a built-in expiration date, after which they will stop receiving OS updates, including security updates (2030 in this case).  I recently switched over to Framework because my Chromebook reached its expiration date, and I'm disappointed to see this development.

How to reduce power consumption on 24/7 Windows computers.

Since summer I have been panicking, in a situation I have never been in in my life. Power prices in Sweden is shooting through the roof, currently 8 times higher while I still try to find a new real job after the pandemic. I have been running several computers 24/7 since the 90'ies and never had the problems until now. While the bedroom computer could be set to sleep when not in use, my main computers are basically servers, running webpages, link/shared synology setups, hosts shared media files, runs steam (for remote play) etc, so they can't just be shut off. Since I run some Stable Diffusion and compile videos I also have my spare GTX 1080 in my "server" and a RTX 2080 Ti on my main.

Here's my thing; ways to ensure that 24/7 computers doesn't draw more power than needed when not needed.

I tried my best to find ways to make every single component in my computers sleep or save power when not in use, but it's been an incredibly tough challenge, with a Windows living it's own life, tons of drivers and apps that block sleep functions or keep the monitors alive, a Windows 10 "power report" that is incomprehensible, BIOS settings, Driver settings (Nvidia), ASUS AI Suite "EPU" settings (that I am not even sure it does anything), no clue what apps to use to measure power consumption of stuff like harddrives or unused USB ports etc.

Hi, I recently released a Windows application focused on accessibility for people who cannot use the PC mouse, and enables controlling the cursor using face movement through a webcam. This functionality has been recently released by Apple exclusively for MacBooks, but there is nothing similar for Microsoft Windows yet. I am finding it really difficult to get some visibility. I thought maybe you could have a look at it and mention it in your content if you find it interesting. Many thanks.

Blog post

https://fidelechevarria.github.io/visual-based-human-computer-interaction/

Microsoft Store

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/insight-mouse-controller/9PGL5GSN68JG