Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Raspberry Pi vs Netbook one workday challenge.
Can a Raspberry Pi do better than a netbook for a whole day of work for a writer?

Or someone that has a semi-light computing workload.

I'm just assuming writers spend most time researching google & writing text. Gaming is on lunch breaks so that doesn't count, but you could force Riley to use a netbook to play rocket league and he'd prolly do it.

I recently created some custom resin keycaps, I would love to see Linus, or somebody on the team try to make an entire set of resin keycaps, or even just one! If you need a tutorial my youtube channel of the same name as my profile has an in-depth how to. Any tips on any of my videos would be great. 

SMALL_IMG_20220324_234935_363.jpg

It would be nice to do an investigation into printer manufacturer support for linux.

Epson currently provide a printer untility based on an obsolete version of qt4, and drivers for their printers with incomplete source code, but don't provide support, even to respond to patches. How are other printer manufacturers performing, and can Epson be "prompted" to do better 🙂

hp/samsung/brother do better, and there is canon and xerox. maybe one for Anthony to do :-)

disclaimer: I have a vested interest in getting epson drivers and utilities working for linux as I run linux (slackware) as well as windows, and have an epson printer, and look after an epson driver package for slackware. (on slackbuilds.org epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2 and epson-printer-utility). I cannot get through to the company. Even their eu and co.uk sites don't show their drivers, only the epson.com/epson.net ones do. maybe with your media clout you would be able to get Epson to be more responsive to their Linux customers.

Made an account just to suggest this:

GIANT PC BUILD - inspired by latest giant gaming monitor review

Add the giant monitor to a super tower case (or even bigger!) and giant peripherals too  - giant keyboard like the red dragon k605, a giant palm sized mouse (I've seen novelty RGB ones exist) and maybe even a giant gaming chair and desk? Then ofc game on it haha. 

I can't see anyone else who has done this before and think it would be hilarious. The idea of Linus with his legs hanging off a giant chair in front of this build kills me.  

Ever since seeing the giant monitor and that hilariously huge monitor stand - this is now my dream build haha

Cheers

Kaibond

I am curious about the performance difference between NVidia's 'Game Ready Driver' and the 'Studio Driver'.

Does the studio driver legitimately improve performance in creative applications? Does this gain in performance result in a loss of gaming performance?

Can we discover what the difference between the drivers are is?

Why can we not have the benefits of both drivers at the same time?

image.png.7e0bd8d68942f5d258c6646eb2b7c8a3.png

Please look into this, I think it would make for an interesting video. NVidia may sponsor it as well to market the lesser known features in GeForce experience. 

3 hours ago, Houndz199 said:

I am curious about the performance difference between NVidia's 'Game Ready Driver' and the 'Studio Driver'.

Does the studio driver legitimately improve performance in creative applications? Does this gain in performance result in a loss of gaming performance?

Studio isn't about performance but stability.

I.e. may work slower, but will be more likely to work well and not crash with your professional apps. Not having downtime or the need to troubleshoot is way more important than a bit of extra performance in a professional setting. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hi!

I've recently seen a video by DIY Perks on making a DIY high quality USB - C microphone. I really think that it would be really cool to make a LTT edition of this. Would love to see the boys from the engineering department to make something really really great with this idea.

The good thing about this is, that you can make basically a $500 microphone A LOT cheaper and customize it to really be your own.

I think that I'm not alone wanting to see this idea come to life.

Hi, i would like to se mobile game streaming setups.

Idea for future videos: whenever possible increase screen time engagements with LMG staff outside the ‘scripted’ videos.  More similar videos to the extreme tech upgrades or home tech tips.  The use case I'll cite is the Bon Appetite gang – look at how they’re all doing their separate jobs in the kitchen but chime in to help / go over to engage with X or Y person to talk through what’s going on.  Great example is how popular Brian the Electrician is – even though he’s not LTT employee, he gets great engagement from viewers.

Adding some fan-favorites into a video, even for just a few quips may increase engagement, allow the staff member to work at becoming more comfortable in front of the camera, and help showcase their personality / interests / skillsets too.

I would love to see a mini-series "Cleanup Tech Tips" - Where a rotating cast of fun folks from the office who don't get a lot of screen-time get to interact with Linus and cleanup some of those "eh I'll get to it later" bits of some of the real videos.  Have some folks do cable management or work through organization of spaces while focusing on their skillset / knowledge or even just have them there to crack jokes, make puns, and have fun!

There could even be a showcase around an upgrade for example get into the reasons why you want to upgrade Yvonne's computer in the basement of the new house with a new graphics card or why you’re adding additional RAM to someone’s computer facing a bottleneck.  Just some tidying up with someone who doesnt get tons of screen time, but who wants to and have it feel more organic while still being productive.

My brother travelled 4000 miles and managed to track down his AirPods from England all the way to Doha in Qatar and managed to get them back. Could be a good story / challenge idea (

I am a junior (grade 11) in high school and want to go into a mechanical engineering career. I have loved cool gadgets since I was little, especially thing that uses buttons or switches. I currently do all my gaming on a 2013-ish iMac. This is my first time posting on the LTT forums but I regularly read through it when I’m bored.

I first thought of my idea about a week ago when I was re-watching the desk pc builds. The premise is pretty simple: the viewers and forum members come up with unique build/setups that have a cool, useful , and/or totally stupid gimmick. They then format and post their concept in a designated sub-forum where other community members can give them feedback and help them improve their concept.

Then once or twice every year the LMG picks their top 5 or 10 favorites and conducts a web interview to allow them to explain their concepts at their own pace, weeding them down to their favorite who gets to make their concept a reality.

The purpose of this would be to foster creative thinking and engineering in the community. It would also allow the common joe who wouldn’t normally have the money or resources to design and implement a crazy setup, the chance to design and implement a crazy setup. Also it would make a spectacular video because the viewers get to see something that another viewer made, not just a parts list that some big shot through together for them.

You could pitch this to sponsors a way to foster engineering and creativity in the pc world and engage more with the community and the average people who buy their products.

I legitimately think this is a cool

idea (also I had to type this twice cause I accidentally deleted it the first time)

I was with you all the way until 

conducts a web interview to allow them to explain their concepts at their own pace, weeding them down to their favorite who gets to make their concept a reality.

Because it would cause people to do it for the wrong reason. People would be doing it just for the interaction with linus and for lmg to make their thing, not for any kind of creative reason. 

I'm hoping the intention isn't for the "creator" to then end up with the final build, because that will also stifle actual creativity and just turn into a swamp of gimmicks surrounding the highest end possible hardware. "I chose the 3090/4090 because you need really high heat output to do x. Same thing with the i9 xx900k, you need this specific chip for y"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

How about a collaboration with Vancouver-based Grin Technologies? They are the bleeding edge of e-bike motors.

They run Endless Sphere, a DIY electric vehicle building forum "geared towards the conversion/building of electric bicycles, motorcycles, skateboards, and anything else we can figure out how to strap a motor on to. Endless sphere has been online since 2007 and has been the #1 forum for the mad scientists of the EV world."

Grin's YouTube channel has all kinds of tinkering, from electrifying a vintage dirtsurfer (a skateboard using two inline bicycle wheels to simulate a snowboard), electric unicycles, penny farthings and even electrifying wheelbarrows.  They've replaced the diesel engine on a sailboat with an e-bike motor that they hand build in their shop, allowing it to run on solar alone. An video walkthrough of their previous shop showed the wind tunnel they use for lab testing.

It would be interesting to see one of their hub motors, tricked out with their Phaserunner FOC controller and Statorade coolant, combined with LTT's experience in PC water cooling to make an unholy union of two worlds, a real Frankenstein's monster of an e-bike. The comment section would explode, as it often does whenever owners of mid-drive bikes see anyone suggest that their overpriced mid-drive isn't superior in all ways. (Even though direct drive hub drive bikes can have regenerative braking like Teslas and BMWs, but mid-drives can't.) Hub drives have a clear power advantage and  they don't increase wear like mids as it's easier to rip a chain apart or burn up a mid drive.

Or since OneWheel keeps popping up in the news with recalls and shady practices, they could help you do a teardown on a OneWheel to see exactly what the problem is, be it faulty construction or a deeper design flaw.

There's a non-profit cat rescue near Vancouver "TinyKittens Society" that does 24/7 YT livestreams of the cats in their care, mostly helping feral/sick/pregnant/orphaned cats in need. Because they rely on donations and most of their money goes towards cat-food, meds and vet visits, they don't have a very large budget for their tech, so they're dealing with all their tech themselves, using basic USB webcams and a computer in each room for the streams, and the owner is the only one that can control the streams, so sometimes cats take down cameras during the night and the stream gets to watch the floor for 8 hours. I know LMG has been working with security camera partners in the past, this could be a cool project to hook them up with some state of the art camera equipment, plus kittens!

A low budget Lavalier mic comparison. There seems to be a lack of content / comparisons for these products for being used with an ADC or PC.

Most of these products are made for the mobile phone or mini XLR for camera usage. It would be interesting to see their viability for gaming.

Another interesting comparison would be XLR / mini XLR / 3.5mm / 6.35mm / USB adapters for these products as you have recommended against them in the past.

For me this would be a continuation of Top 5 mics Under $50 - 2019 where I ended up buying an ADC, a stage mic, and stand with great results.
I recently started started daily driving a decent set of IEM earbuds and want to try and make my audio setup a bit more lightweight and adjustable.

In reply to your video on dashcams, can we get a video or a tutorial about why we can’t use the camera that every car has pre installed being used as a rear camera?

I have been wondering for years why the cars don’t have this feature already. Easy answer is money.

Why do I need to run an additional camera into the back of my car (and hide the ugly wire to plug it into my center console) when I already have one installed from the factory? Is there a way to “tap into” this camera to use it with an aftermarket forward camera while stil utilizing it as a backup camera?

Additionally, is there a way to power a forward dash cam by hard wiring it into a cars electrical system without having to use the extreme eyesore of something constantly plugged into the cigarette lighter? Again, the rear camera installed from the factory, so why can’t the forward one?

I see recent Streamers like OTK and Moist critical have partnered with a system builder Starforge Systems. I'm Curious LTT's take on the business and it's products. 

HI Guys, 

I had a video Idea. Is it possible to download AD DS ( Active Directory Domain Services) onto a regular windows 10 (Lets say Home or Pro version) machine and promote it to a domain controller instead of buying a server with windows server and going through the process that way. Curious if it's even possible. Could be an interesting video idea

MOONLIGHT (Game Streaming)

Please don't let this get lost in the thread.

It is time to review in house game streaming again. This time. On everything. Moonlight has been out for a while, but recently I had stumbled upon it's latest update while searching for a solution on spreading my gaming computer to the rest of my apartment. Why stay in 1 place and play games, when, in reality, I play everywhere? Even on the road. With a little bit of setting up, an NVIDIA graphics card, and a little bit of port forwarding or VPN (For on the go) I can literally play my games from anywhere. With native 4k support. Why pay for game streaming when half of us if not most of us don't even pay for movies, tv, music, or just about anything worthwhile of content. You can game stream just about anything and if my ideas are correct, you could even link this to dolphin VM... and just about any VM as well if that's the case. 

Definitely something the team should take a look at, as it has only gotten better with time. 

-L

3 minutes ago, ElReyLionel said:

MOONLIGHT (Game Streaming)

Please don't let this get lost in the thread.

It is time to review in house game streaming again. This time. On everything. Moonlight has been out for a while, but recently I had stumbled upon it's latest update while searching for a solution on spreading my gaming computer to the rest of my apartment. Why stay in 1 place and play games, when, in reality, I play everywhere? Even on the road. With a little bit of setting up, an NVIDIA graphics card, and a little bit of port forwarding or VPN (For on the go) I can literally play my games from anywhere. With native 4k support. Why pay for game streaming when half of us if not most of us don't even pay for movies, tv, music, or just about anything worthwhile of content. You can game stream just about anything and if my ideas are correct, you could even link this to dolphin VM... and just about any VM as well if that's the case. 

Definitely something the team should take a look at, as it has only gotten better with time. 

-L

M2 MacBook Air Custom Passive Cooling

As many know the M2 MacBook Air has a logic board shield, My idea is that what if you guys made a custom one out of a better material such as copper and have a better contact with the M2 Chip inside, I assume that one almost one half of the airs heat shield has a empty space, and maybe you guys could possibly make it more like a heat sink? 
would be an interesting video to see.

Also would like any feed back on the feasibility of this idea 

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 11.20.22.png

You guys did the $500 budget PC build not too long ago but how about doing a budget custom watercooled build

I went to the Sewing and Quilt Expo a few years ago and was very impressed by the tech you can use for embroidery and quilting. The huge quilting arms that will let you freehand quilt on a blanket scale feels like piloting a plane, and some of Grandma's machines are spendier than a gaming rig. Some of the ladies I talked to have been invited all over the world to demo their machines. Is there any cool computer stuff going on in these machines (especially for what they cost)? They're doing some cosplay contests at the expo now, so there's a nerd tie in if you need one. With how big things like Cricut are in women's spaces, a look at what powers craft tech would be cool. 

It's a little late in the season, but exploring fish finders would be cool too. We rent a boat that has a screen that knows how deep the water is and where fish are. There was a guy at our boat launch that can remote control his boat for parking and loading.

Wheelchair/disability tech would be a neat topic, both accommodations and daily wear tech. You've done a few things on keyboards or video games, but there's more out there. Reusable braille, folding ramps, amputee tech, etc. Either things we can make/do (3d printing) or upcoming tech. Wheelchairs keep getting destroyed on airplanes, maybe a video on what makes them expensive would bring more awareness that they are not luggage and need to be able to drive on a plane.

Maybe a tech recycler video? I sometimes take things to my local tech recycler place, but buying from them is overwhelming. How can you look at old tech for usability, when is it just too old for kid's first desktop/keeping in touch with grandma. What do they keep/toss out?

I work at a US library, and publisher BS is restricting what we can offer to our people. We have movies with 600 deep waitlists we can't get because Redbox has the rights to the DVD format, and we can't offer Blurays. If a new movie or series comes out on a streamer platform, it's a crapshoot whether we'll be able to get a hard copy at all, even with hundreds of interested people on a waitlist, and there's no streaming video available for patrons, even restricted to inside the libraries like some of our databases. Movies are becoming a have/have not tech, and our music CD hard copies are dwindling. We do have a library-only local music streaming platform, but I don't know who listens to it. We can't rent out an ebook to everyone on the list at once on Libby app, because publishers will only let us have a certain "number of copies" out at one time. We have multiple formats for audiobooks, like CDs, the app, Playaway books, the Vox/Wonderbook readers for kids, etc, that need specific players to use and enjoy. There are lots of people who don't have CD/DVD players anymore, and can't use the tech we do have at the library for them. There are still people using VHS and cassette tapes from libraries for cabins and places far outside reasonable internet speeds since all tech advances go to places that already have the infrastructure. There are still tons of people who don't use computers for personal entertainment or at home and the entertainment industry is hard swerving these people. We have tech for the specific purpose of sharing and archiving and publishers don't want either of those things. Libraries are trying to evolve and engage our communities but we can't if our collection works against us. How many torrenters would be happy to rent their things from a library?

I just want a video series Linus vs Linux where Linus would be using linux on pc and laptops and see when it would be bricked :p