Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi! Has linus ever made a reveiw about the shark gaming Aquarium? Looks alot like lian li with more glass.

Screenshot_20220725-203617_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know how much you guys love 3D printers.  There is a local company here in Rapid City, SD creating absolutely bada$$ 3D printers.

Got to see one of their printers in action recently and the level of detail and speed is incredible.  Now it’s not for the faint of heart when it comes to price. Entry level starts out at $10K USD.

However it would be cool to see what your team can come up with working on something like this.

https://www.b9c.com

How about doing some Chrome OS Flex testing? It's out now and can be installed (or at least attempted to) on any machine out there.

I know you guys do a lot of building a PC videos, but maybe another one about what to look out for/gotchas that might initially be something a person might miss.

My son and I just built our first computer with components, as opposed to buying a ready made machine.

We purchased some hardware in the recent sales, an intel i7-12700K, MSI Z690 A Pro Wifi with DDR5, crucial DDR5 4800Mhz memory an MSI AIO cooler and RTX 3070Ti, and a corsair 1000W PSU. 

We purchased a XIGMATEK Lamiya case which came with 4 RGB fans, which was on sale a year or so ago when we first started at looking at building a machine.

Some of the issues we came across. While the case said it supported 180mm PSU and the PSU we have is 180mm, and while it fitted in ok, there was no room to plug the cables once the PSU was installed. The 3.5" HDD bay mounting bracket was in the way. We had to drill out 2 of the rivets holding the HDD Bracket so it could slide out of the way to install the PSU cables. 

After looking at the MSI doco about installing which fans onto which FAN headers, we found out that the case fans were not compatible with the motherboard FAN headers. Instead the FANS connected to a FAN controller which was just connected to the power and provided two speeds - high and low. They just come on with the power and so the motherboard cannot control the speed  but you have a remote control to do this.

We installed everything and we were pretty happy it booted fine first go. When we went to the BIOS I tried to change the XMP profile to 4800Mhz. However the system wouldn't boot at this, it only booted at 4000Mhz.

I have since found out that the while the MSI motherboard does support speeds of up to 6400Mhz, it turns out there is a list on the MSI website, which lists memory compatibility and unfortunately the crucial memory is only supported at 4000Mhz.

I guess we just assumed that since the motherboard supported 4800Mhz, buying 4800Mhz memory of any brand would have been supported, but we've found out that is not the case. Similarly I guess since it is the first time buying a case that came with fans we just assumed they would have the right connectors. The only fans we control with the motherboard are the AIO Cooler fans and pump (connected to the CPU fan header and pump header).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth about issues with building a PC for the first time 🙂

^ I have an asus board and it did not run the XMP profile of my RAM either. Turns out there was a BIOS update available and fixed everything. So keep a lookout for an update.

Fixing folding screens. Love my og galaxy fold. But the screen is destroyed slowly from scratching. And well....metal flakes from the shop from the built in magnets. And for the price of a new screen.....ill buy a new phone....and I don't wana....haha.....I love this thing without being too much.....and the whole "we will replace a screen for 149 first time" yeah.......good luck.....

I saw this on line and immediately ran to this forum: Home Depot had a giant crab.

Surely, someone can build speakers into this and throw a rave?

7 hours ago, DaveMath said:

^ I have an asus board and it did not run the XMP profile of my RAM either. Turns out there was a BIOS update available and fixed everything. So keep a lookout for an update.

Hi DaveMath,

Thanks will have a look.

Hey Folks,

as I know you are crazy when it comes to storage/-server & small form factor PCs. As you already made a wicked build with ASRock ROMED4ID-2T (maybe it still kicks around in the warehouse), I'd like to suggest a flash only storage build (-video):
I recently stumbled across the ASRock DeskMeet and at first glance the ROMED4ID might fit in that case. The challenges gonna be, how many U.2 hot-swap bays can one squeeze in that 8 liter case (e.g. one, two or even three DockMB699VP's)? Maybe with SFX PSU? A 100Gbit NIC & Epyc F-series?
@jakkuh_t I think you really really need full flash home NAS and for sure Kioxia feels the same! 😉

Cheers!

Hey all.

I am sure a video will be coming out regarding the Win Max 2 eventually, so I wanted to get ahead of it and ask that you guys try your best to cover the eGPU side of things as well as possible, and not just as a "you know we're gonna be pluggin that in! *points at RTX 3090*" joke.

Hopefully you get your hands on the 1260P and 6800U version and can do a good comparison of performance between the two.

For those of us who used eGPUs before Ice Lake, the difference between 8th/9th gen and 10th gen (ice lake, not comet lake) was absolutely night and day because intel integrated the TB3 controller into the CPU. Since the 6800U has a separate controller for it, we're worried the latency will go up and performance will go down. I have yet to see any objective investigations into this other than "yep, we plugged it in and timespy went burr".

There's a lot of little tweaks that can be done (disabling PCIe power savings, setting EPP to 0% (on intel), disabling the internal display and using only an external display (this is effectively the same thing as a muxless vs mux laptop!), etc etc. Feel free to reach out if you need knobs to turn.

GTX 1080 w/ 1260P (Thunderbolt):

GTX 1080 w/ 1260P (M.2):

My 1080 outperforms the average desktop 1080 score via thunderbolt, and slaps the average around with an M.2 eGPU setup. If you have your hands on both, it would be super helpful to see the performance difference between USB-4 and M.2 on the 6800U. (I see 7.8% on intel; 2.62 GB/s vs 2.82GBs in a bandwidth test in 3DMark or CUDA-Z)

It's worth noting that if you have a PCIe4 M.2 "enclosure" you can actually take advantage of it on newer 4th gen cards, getting 5.65GB/s or so, so be sure to test USB-4 vs M.2 with an older/PCIe3 card.

Can gamers tell the difference between wifi and ethernet?

Like:
1. laptop wifi
2. Desktop PCI wifi
3. Desktop usb wifi
4. Desktop ethernet

"How much is *enough*"

Computer have been getting more and more powerful over time, but daily tasks may not be more computationally expensive except by background processes.
What does it take to run microsoft word, irc, and voip?

Does Linux let you run lower spec & is windows wasting computing power?
Talk about mining using a lot of power for moot reasons, what about other services like.... cortana?

Can we scale back the usage of power we use for less waste of electricity?

In my experience, computers have been the same since like 2003~2004. Steam and Teamspeak were the earliest download services and widely used gamer chat apps, and they came out nearly 20 years ago now.

With cloud computing, SaaS, going back to the 70s by using mainframes "high tech new technology" that allows the server to do the heavy lifting, how can we achieve lower power usage for "good enough."

Having worked in sales of another hobby, my enthusiast self says "It should be this way" but the reality is "This does everything that is required, so that's why this is what people get"
Kinda like the game's industry, the top selling games of Undertale, Inscryption, and more have low spec graphics, and as cool as Doom Eternal is, it looks like an N64 game upscaled to 4k.

Just thoughts... Maybe there's some direction you can take it with my incoherent rambling... probably Anthony will get what I'm getting at.

39 minutes ago, fpo said:

Computer have been getting more and more powerful over time, but daily tasks may not be more computationally expensive except by background processes.
What does it take to run microsoft word, irc, and voip?

Does Linux let you run lower spec & is windows wasting computing power?

39 minutes ago, fpo said:

Can we scale back the usage of power we use for less waste of electricity?

You can take a 15 year old Core 2 Quad and with enough RAM, an SSD and an 8-ish year old GPU and it will be just fine for everyday use, even on Win11. It'll use way more power than a modern low to mid tier machine though, efficiency has gone up a lot. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I did a brief scan and didn't see anything specifically related to this, but my apologies if this is a duplication: A huge percentage of PSP batteries are exploding across the world, mine among them. Why is this such a consistent pattern among PSPs and not other consumer electronics? Why did my PSP battery explode while my Nintendo DS battery is chugging along as good as ever? These are questions that I as the uneducated consumer want to know.

With all the discussion surrounding right-to-repair and Linus's expanded focus on consoles and related subjects, I think this could be a very informative video. Furthermore, it can be marketed with a sense of danger due to the fact that you're dealing with exploding batteries! 

As a final note, a recommendation for a replacement would be a great way to cap off the video. There are a dozen options on the market, and if you look at Reddit, no one can agree which are good. Some people have actually resorted to soldering in DS batteries (Again, why are they so much better?).

I realize this may be a niche video, but it speaks to a larger topic regarding right-to-repair, the life cycle of consumer electronics, and ways to prevent e-waste. I also is a good opportunity to put the Lab to work testing replacement batteries. Hope this is a good idea!

Sources:

https://screenrant.com/psp-battery-explode-bloat-time-japan/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/ik0gbz/has_anyone_else_experienced_battery_exploding/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/t8735k/battery_megathread/

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

You can take a 15 year old Core 2 Quad and with enough RAM, an SSD and an 8-ish year old GPU and it will be just fine for everyday use, even on Win11. It'll use way more power than a modern low to mid tier machine though, efficiency has gone up a lot. 

Yeah, but I'm interested to see more research done into it.

I would love to see you team up with Scammer Payback and help them make their amazing Peoples Call Centre even better, maybe "20 scam baiters, one CPU" would be cool but there work is amazing and after the Linus has been scammed showing love for the community trying to stop it and help victims I think would be amazing. :)

17 hours ago, Snoz said:

I know you guys do a lot of building a PC videos, but maybe another one about what to look out for/gotchas that might initially be something a person might miss.

My son and I just built our first computer with components, as opposed to buying a ready made machine.

We purchased some hardware in the recent sales, an intel i7-12700K, MSI Z690 A Pro Wifi with DDR5, crucial DDR5 4800Mhz memory an MSI AIO cooler and RTX 3070Ti, and a corsair 1000W PSU. 

We purchased a XIGMATEK Lamiya case which came with 4 RGB fans, which was on sale a year or so ago when we first started at looking at building a machine.

Some of the issues we came across. While the case said it supported 180mm PSU and the PSU we have is 180mm, and while it fitted in ok, there was no room to plug the cables once the PSU was installed. The 3.5" HDD bay mounting bracket was in the way. We had to drill out 2 of the rivets holding the HDD Bracket so it could slide out of the way to install the PSU cables. 

After looking at the MSI doco about installing which fans onto which FAN headers, we found out that the case fans were not compatible with the motherboard FAN headers. Instead the FANS connected to a FAN controller which was just connected to the power and provided two speeds - high and low. They just come on with the power and so the motherboard cannot control the speed  but you have a remote control to do this.

We installed everything and we were pretty happy it booted fine first go. When we went to the BIOS I tried to change the XMP profile to 4800Mhz. However the system wouldn't boot at this, it only booted at 4000Mhz.

I have since found out that the while the MSI motherboard does support speeds of up to 6400Mhz, it turns out there is a list on the MSI website, which lists memory compatibility and unfortunately the crucial memory is only supported at 4000Mhz.

I guess we just assumed that since the motherboard supported 4800Mhz, buying 4800Mhz memory of any brand would have been supported, but we've found out that is not the case. Similarly I guess since it is the first time buying a case that came with fans we just assumed they would have the right connectors. The only fans we control with the motherboard are the AIO Cooler fans and pump (connected to the CPU fan header and pump header).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth about issues with building a PC for the first time 🙂

Yeah not familiar with that case brand as it seems it’s just one of those cheap Chinese knock offs.  You will run into the issues you are having.

Its a good lesson to have is when selecting a motherboard and ram is to look up the motherboard compatibility with the ram.  It’s not as bad as when zen 1 ryzen though.

What's going on here? Claimed 3,840hz refresh rate? Have the mixed it up with pixels?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/C-SEED-N1-folding-TV-unveiled-with-165-in-model-and-3-840-Hz-refresh-rate.636790.0.html

I am posting this as a means to gain traction as well as bring light to a serious abuse of consumer trust by LG.

I am talking about a specific model of 34in Curved 144hz display, the LG 34GK950F-B.

I would like to reference the amazing write-up by nullsum: https://nullsum.net/posts/lg34gk950f-defect-analysis/

In short these monitors are prone to suffering a difficult to repair ribbon cable failure which causes the display to fail 1-3 years into service. This is abhorrent for a high-end display with an original MSRP of around $1000 USD.

There is a plethora of evidence detailing this to be a known fault of this model:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/smggcs/lg_34gk950f_horizontal_lines_have_appeared_after/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/qoytui/avoid_buying_lg_34gk950fb_horizontal_lines_form/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/de8bj8/help_lg_34gk950fb_failing_panel_horizontal_lines/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/de090e/faint_horizontal_lines_suddenly_appeared_on_lg/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/vyj7wf/lg_34gk950fb_horizontal_lines_after_3600_screen/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/qsbd60/horizontal_lines_on_monitor_lg_34gk950f_26_months/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/le6exe/lg_34gk950fb_lines_on_screen_i_call_upon_reddit/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/v4wnj6/34gk950fb_started_to_notice_these_horizontal/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/v4wnj6/34gk950fb_started_to_notice_these_horizontal/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/qkmf07/anyone_know_of_a_fix_for_these_horizontal_lines/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/bsk1rg/static_horizontal_lines_bands_on_lg_34gk950f/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/ofizrw/horizontal_line_problem_lg_34gk950gb/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/q1038n/lines_across_the_whole_screen_issue_lg_34gk950fb/

The list of reports goes on and on.

Myself and others are currently left with no recourse as the LG Support was unable to determine what could be done other than getting a quote from an authorized repair shop. They did put in a VOC or "Voice Of the Customer" and another rep reached out and told me that since the monitor is past warranty they would only be able to offer a rebate on a new monitor.

I can't trust LG displays after how blatant it is that the model suffers a known defect and how unwilling they are to make the situation right. I was considering purchasing a LG G2 TV for my home after the stellar reviews from Linus and team but I have no interest in LG products after this failure.

Even if this doesn't get made into a video, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2575.JPG

Hey guys, any chance of getting an audience with Linus. Cheers

I watched ltt's got jobs topic a few hours ago, and wonder what linus would do if he were going to get a full-time job at the Linus Media Group, can take a video?

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1401232-weve-got-jobs/

A video i would love to see you guys do is about HSM or hardware security modules.

If you have ever wondered how big enterprises handle and store private keys, so they are not just stored on application servers, this is how. HSMs are special hardware devices, from USB, PCIe to big servers, that have capabilities for securely storing keys. They also have things like true number generators and hardware accelerated crypto functions for creating keys with a very high entropy. They are the backbone of generating certificates for certificate authorities (CAs) and so in a way are also the backbone of modern communication, since pretty much everything runs over TLS now. Like pretty much every website out there has their SSL-cert signed by a CA that either directly or indirectly, through the next higher link in the CA hierarchy, has their keys for signing managed and secured on a HSM. They are also used for encryption of financial transaction.

From a technical standpoint these things are insane in how they secure their data, which is why i think this topic could make a cool video. The big enterprise servers are tamperproof with measures that range from deleting all your data when interference is detected (via e.g. temperature/resistance changes) to actual physical destruction of the hardware. Like seriously, some models have actual packs filled with acid strapped to their hardware, that bursts when tampered with and destroys the storage and anything that could be used to read the keys from. As i said, absolutely insane in my view.

The technical details, how you interface with these devices (PKCS#11) is also pretty interesting, but could get very technical. This is a good high level overview to see the benefits:

I would love to see part of the manufacturing, but it would probably be close to impossible to see any of that, since the manufacturers can't compromise the security of their devices. But maybe you guys can work your magic to get a look inside of their facilities (i mean you got inside intel). Companies to approach could be Thales, Entrust, Fortanix or Utimaco.

I realize that this is a very niche topic, but I think it's very interesting how much we depend on these devices that most people have never heard of.

I can provide more detailed info via PM if interested.

Hey, not sure if yall were interested in doing a video on this, but I've got an apple xserv with the packet of original os disks, booklets and keys in my garage. If this interests you, I'd be willing to loan it for a video. I'll keep the drive of course because they were active DC drives. DM me if this interests you. 

I wonder if you could make a video about eGPUs with TB4 Notebooks in 2022. Are they worth it now as the prices dropped a lot for GPUs and TB4 is now more widespread. To minimalize my desk setup I am thinking of getting rid of my Desktop and switch completely to my ASUS Zenbook Duo i7.