Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A video where you review and compare different baby monitors.

I imagine this would be similar to your recent video reviewing dash cams.

I’m in the market and it’s horribly confusing.

Shout out to Chase for being a superstar with customer support!

Cheers,

Jared

I have a massive issue i would love a video on so i know how i should proceed. 

I have bought a house located relatively on the outskirts. Now the issue is the internet connection i can only get 4G provided with a sim card. I have tried 3 different providers but i have same issue with all and i am only getting 2-7mb download speeds. 

I bought a 4G antenna but that did not solve the situation most likely it was to cheap. 

I am investigating antennas online but dont know what to order or if they even will work. 

A video about improving internet for situations like this where only 3G/4G is provided in the area but signal is so weak the internet is basically useless. 

Is an antenna the only option if so what to choose or are there other solutions for people like me who try to relocate from the city to the country?

I would really enjoy it if you guys pooled your expertise and made a battlebot.  I am not sure how the community feels, but I think it would be great to see what you folks could do.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Would be cool to see you review the TiltFive AR headset. they just partnered with Catan and it looks to be a cool piece of hardware thats already out for consumers.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) video.

I am moderately well versed in recreational electronics, but I'd love to see a guide on UPS selection.

For example: I have a UPS running my router, modem, and TV, as well as my Xbox Series X. How do I know that I won't overcurrent the UPS? I guessed.

A video addressing surge protection as well as UPS selection and maintenance for home use would be amazing.

The idea would be to demystify what Joules are for surge protection, how vAh rating and Wattage differ, and WHEN you may want a UPS, and when it's just unnecessary. 

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

I challenge you Linus

To build a diabolical holy grail home server pc. 

What about building a home server pc that has a vm that you can use anywhere in the world that's also a workstation, gaming pc,

a coding pc, a creator digital media pc, office pc, etc the all-in-one that basically you can do anything on,

but it's a home severe pc. The most powerful superfast home server ever 

That's has engine waterless coolant as a coolant is submerged into the coolant and also refrigerated,

so that it can run windows, Linux Ubuntu on a hypervisor VirtualBox etc all in one plaice

@gaetanocostanza I have merged your thread into the LTT Video suggest thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Hi, I got a new laptop recently and noticed that the turbo mode is pretty loud for 2022.
Back in 2012 GE announced this promising new "silent cooling" technology called DCJ for small devices like laptops and I wonder what happened to it.

Linus and Alex could probably take a look at it and even test the idea if possible.

https://www.directindustry.com/prod/aavid-thermalloy/product-157466-1712856.html
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/287800066_Study_on_Vibration_Isolation_Design_of_Dual_Piezoelectric_Cooling_Jets

video sugestion : cooling a gamer PC (water or air cooled) by connecting directly the outlet of a portable AC vent to the inlet of the pc . Can it be a cheap alternative to the direct full size AC to CPU cooler ? It only needs a air tube and a lot of scotch , and no condensation inside because the AC already dry the air from any humidity 😉

but it's necessary to connect the exit tube of the AC to the outside 😉

During the screwdriver popup Livestream, I thought they should make an over the top infomercial style video to promote it

Sleeper PC inside an unassuming object such as a briefcase or consumer printer/scanner

I'll try my shot here. I personally have a desktop PC circa 2014 that has 6 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. It doesn't support bluetooth. I'd like to use my bluetooth headphones with my desktop PC.

Should I go for the latest bluetooth 5.2 USB dongle? Should it have an antenna? Or is just the little nub sufficient? Do I need 5.2, or is an older version like 4.0 completely sufficient? What's a reasonable price? Can I expect it to perform well even if I have other USB dongles plugged in like a wifi dongle or a proprietary wireless dongle (which likely uses bluetooth) for my Walmart/Onn wireless keyboard/mouse combo? Or will multiple wireless dongles in such close proximity cause interference which degrades the user experience?

We need more videos which address issues experienced by the common man along with the fantasy videos which review hardware 99% of us will never afford.

Housebased PC watercooling with ZERO fans or pumps

Watercooling your PC like in "wholeroom watercooling", but instead of a closed loop have fresh cold water come from the tap, then the warm water at the exhaust end drain into the sink (or even cooler have it be used to warm up the floor of the house before dumping the water)

Hi,

I don't read these forums religiously, so apologies if it's already been suggested, but this just came to me while I was fiddling with my PC today.

A lot of people who build their own PCs, myself included, tend to get a mismatch of whatever brands are available. E.g. I have an MSI GPU, ASUS motherboard, AMD CPU, Corsair RAM, AIO cooler, fans and PSU. So there are all these different companies with their own software to support their own devices.

Problem is, some of this software either overrides another, or just doesn't play nice. Such as when I was trying to sort out my RGB to make it uniform, there's Corsair iCue for their stuff, or MSI Mystic, Asus Aura, etc. But it was conflicting with each other and my LG hub for my mouse....

So, I'd quite like to see a video where the team explore some software that works across the board and generally makes life easy for this mismatch of software. Like SignalRGB, which used to work just fine, and now has stopped so half of my parts don't light up! But obviously not just for RGB.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, but that'd be something I'd watch!

Cheers

I'd like to see the team make a video about the Sony BVM F24 CRT Display.
It's the only BVM ever designed by Sony to output at a maximum resolution of 1080p, it is regarded by the CRT community as a unicorn.

Contact me for pricing on the unit.

If you ever wanna make a LAN center, you could name it LAN32. I have the .ca domain if you want it!

Would be awesome if Linus Tech Tips were to create channel on Odysee as alternative to Youtube channel if possible.

Is sure to bring lot of people to Odysee and put a dent in Youtube monopoly someday if LTT makes a video on Odysee. 😎

https://odysee.com/

4 hours ago, sparking_ said:

Would be awesome if Linus Tech Tips were to create channel on Odysee as alternative to Youtube channel if possible.

Is sure to bring lot of people to Odysee and put a dent in Youtube monopoly someday if LTT makes a video on Odysee. 😎

https://odysee.com/

lol, they have 30k paying subs on floatplane. Why would they move to a blockchain platform where the crypto it is based on can just completely tank (it was hot in April of 2021 when LBRY was worth $.25 and paying .33 of a LBRY credit/view, now it's worth $.015)and the largest videos get under 5k views unless they are a crypto evangelist?

They aren't going to open up accounts at all the places people who get banned from youtube for not being able to say whatever they want run to. Has LMG shown a proclivity for doing this kind of thing in the past for all the other pop-up video hosting sites? If another site hits a critical mass and can survive and thrive, yeah they are going to take a look at it, but it's not worth the hassle of syncing all of their videos to a new place when popular new uploads are going to make them what people donate. 

There's a reason the adpocolypse happened - and there are reasons a lot of the advertisers that support larger creators on youtube would not want to support them on other platforms.

I'd like to see Linus and team try to change the industry wrt the current trend in monitor manufacturing/offering, under the guise of a comparison of VA/IPS/QLED/mini-led monitors. 

I'm really struggling with the market right because there just doesn't appear to be a solution for those of us who want "everything".

Linus' review of TN/VA/IPS is 9 years old (2013) from here

This occured to me as I was watching the review of the Samsung Ark.  I was all set to finance one (55 inches!  wow!) but then I realized it's a VA panel... guttted.  😞

The market seems to have locked in a split between gaming and content creation/pro work and there really isn't a monitor that "does it all", at any price point.  Now, I say this based on reviews.  I don't have the money/time to try monitory-after-monitor to validate the reviews and "expert knowledge" out there.

But there is at least consistency between the articles that I read - If you're a gamer you want 144hz, 1ms, WQHD (1440) - and there are lots of options out there that meet this criteria... now up to 55inches of personal theatre goodness.

And there are monitors out there for us content creators too... like Photography, print media , video editing, 3d modeling & animation?  For those tasks, we want the colour accuracy of an IPS panel.

But it's always red vs blue - either you're a gamer, or you're a pro content creator. What about those of us that are both?  Maybe the articles are all artifically inflating the differences... and if they are, that would be nice to know too...  😞

For my uses, I am a programmer (need maximal horizontal and vertical screen real estate because I have billions of open apps), photography (color accuracy and size), digital painting (color accuracy and realestate), 3d modeling & animation (screen real estate), some marketing/print work (colour matching/accuracy) a few times per year, lots of excel (hoirzontal real estate) and word (nothing is better than rotating to portrait - oh my god so great) and visio... and I like to game sometimes too (response time and refresh rate)

Because I'm on my PC 72hrs a day (thereby completely ruling out OLED), I went with an HP z38c (3840x1600 @ 60hz and 5ms response time on fastest, 14ms on default), which is a great monitor for day-to-day work (I also have a 24in FHD monitor dedicated to screen sharing over zoom as almost none of my clients have ultra-wide monitors).

But gaming on the z38c, is passable, but I would love to get the 144hz+.  And 1600px vertical resolution is better than 1440px (it makes a surprising difference) but I'd love to upgrade to a full 43in+ @ 4K for my primary display ... but if I do that, I have to trade something away (refresh rate, response time, color accuracy or viewing angles... something has to go).

It is possible to build a large format 4K IPS panel that does 144hz @ 1ms - but no one does it.  There just alawys seems to be a compromse... you can't have it all.  

I don't know... I guess I'm sick of being EITHER a gamer, or a content creator.  I feel like it's time for me to be both.  But to do that, today i would first have to buy 2 different primary monnitors, then I'd need to buy a much bigger desk (or two desks surrounding the same chair so i can swivel) and then a larger house to fit an office that could fit my first two previous purchases.  I just seems like a decent monitor to do both tasks is so much simpler for consumers like me.

The video on Projet Farm that tests the LTT ratchet SD against competition was great , once again great job to the team 😉

Video Suggestion:

Peri-ambient CPU cooling.  Why risk condensation when room temperature water is cool enough?  Inspired by nuclear cooling systems, I envision 2 small tanks, copper coils, and simple temperature switch pump controls.

You start with a chiller that keeps a small tank of liquid as cool as possible.  Copper coils running through the tank carry a separate liquid that is contained in a second tank.  That second tank is temperature controlled to just above current room temperature, by turning on and off a pump carrying liquid to the first. 

A circulating fan keeps the second tank even temperature, and the liquid loop to the CPU terminates at tank 2's own embedded copper coils.  An Arduino could control the dynamic pump, based on ambient temperatures and even current humidity.

Separate liquids, separate temperature zones, no air cooling or radiators (unless you count the copper coils), and no possibility for condensation.

I saw this video where Geekerwan modded Mi 9 with SDM855 and cranked it to not 11, not 12, but over 9000-ish. How about taking SD8G1 to the max in the similar manner? Yes the chipset is new, so phones with it are expensive, but I think it's worth trying on LTT. I'd like to see Alex does some sketchy cooling thing with this.

Edit: I'd also like to see some LTT coverage on Snapdragon performance delta throughout generations, and hopefully, some rough comparison between iOS devices. I'm really eager to see someone doing extreme smartphone processor overclocking.