Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
I have an idea for a gag for when the Backpacks are back from backorder, you could write a tongue twister relating to the event.

Have it be like Doug Dimmadome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zMX3M0WC4

I got a new job supporting an AV system called thinklogical. I would really like to see a video on it and I also think it's a system that you guys could make use of around the office. The system is also configured with cyviz. 

Hi team,

Can you please do my (home) work? 😉

For a test setup I want to have as many network ports as possible running Ubuntu. Speeds are not super important but I suggest:

1x NIC with 4x 10G SFP port  (Maybe Intel X710-DA4)

5x NIC with 4x 1G UTP port    (Whatever vendors)

This adds up to 24 network ports. What motherboard allows this, and does it actually work? Can we fit in more than 24 ports?

What about PCI expansions? Could we go >30 ??

https://www.bressner.de/en/products/pcie-pci-expansions/pcie-pci-expansion-systems/

Cheers!

Okay, so long story short, I have a new computer build based on the X570s, this motherboard only supports NVME (even though it's supposed to support NGFF SATA on one of the M.2 ports, it really doesn't) (full build spec: Ryzen 5 5600x, Radeon RX 6800 XT direct from AMD, 32gb of 3200 DDR4 RAM, currently two M.2 NVME drives installed 1 tb each, four SATA drives installed). I recently upgraded to a new laptop, Legion 7 series 7 (AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX, Radeon 6850m XT 32gb DDR5 Ram). My old laptop, an MSI GT80 Titan SLI has four M.2 NGFF drives which work fine (its keyboard and one fan died yay me). I was hoping to use these drives in my desktop, but there seems to be few options for expansion cards to use these SATA based M.2 drives. Such as; https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-07JP-1NNC8?item=9SIB33YHXS3236&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-_-gadgets-_-graviton-_-9SIB33YHXS3236&source=region and https://www.amazon.com/B-Key-Bandwidth-Expansion-Require-SI-PEX40142/dp/B07WDM3H9Z/ref=sr_1_75?crid=24B202N57PE7I&keywords=m.2%2Bsata%2Bto%2Bpci-e&qid=1662497732&s=electronics&sprefix=m.2%2Bsata%2Bto%2Bpci-e%2Celectronics%2C108&sr=1-75&th=1

The problem is, these seem to be untested, or some weird Chinese knockoff expansion cards for mining rigs. Nobody seems to have an answer on the Linus tech forums (my current thread

Any suggestions on an expansion card that will allow me to use my SATA M.2s? Possibly a video on these knockoff Chinese cards and their usability or reliability? I know in the past you've done videos on PCI-E expansion cards to fit multiple M.2 SSDs into a PC, but nothing done on these lower cost cards. Are they worth it, or if I get one am I putting my computer at risk?

Might be a good video to do, given the seeming ubiquity of these cards on the market. 

I noticed in the recent "How I keep my house in order" video, Linus shows us what appears to be metal bread bins he's using for charging his LiPo batteries.

Considering the R&D and engineering team now at LTT I'd say this would be a fantastic area for them to create something great, which could also result in an item to be sold on the store as well as a fun video or two.

LiPo batteries are obviously used in a LOT of tech we use on a daily basis these days, but the type of batteries Linus charges in those bread bins are extremely common in the still growing world of drones.
For many years, drone operators have experimented with safe ways to store their LiPo batteries whilst charging. Everything from LiPo charge bags, up to heavy duty ammo crates.

If you watch videos on YouTube on this subject, you'll find that most of these solutions don't hold up well when a battery actually detonates within it, and they can also look quite hacky and thrown together.

I myself for example have modified a series of ammo crates where I've fitted cable pass through so all the charging cables are accessible on the inside whilst the whole thing is sealed. However, you could in theory then have a shrapnel bomb on your hands if there's nowhere for the pressure to escape, so I was also looking at fitting a heat proof air vent with built in filter so it can release the pressure whist also filtering out the noxious smoke the LiPo fire produces.

Even then however, there are many more things that can be done to improve it, so I would suggest doing a video where LTT designs and builds a super awesome LiPo charge box, and then tests the creation by overcharging LiPo batteries inside it, repeating with increased size batteries until you discover the safe limit of the case.

These are the challenges to overcome and things an ideal one would incorporate:

• The most obvious one is containing the and heat of a LiPo fire from within
  • The ability to pass through banana leads which would allow plugging in whichever charging cables you need inside
  • Featuring a pass through balance lead connector so you can do balance charging from within the case too
  • The space to charge up to 4 batteries within the case at once (each with their own lead pass throughs). Quite often the chargers for these batteries have up to 4 outputs so only having a box capable of charging one at a time just isn't feasible. 
  • A pressure release system that can tolerate the temperature of a LiPo fire, and which is fitted with a filter to prevent the poisonous smoke from filling the house.
  • A safe way of lifting and carrying the box, whilst there is an active fire inside it, that you can then use to carry the box outside
  • Bonus features which aren't essential but would be fun and/or useful are:
    - Mobile app that notifies you if a fire is detected within the case
    - A LiPo suitable extinguisher system built in to snuff out the fire quickly (more challenging as in a LiPo fire, the battery provides both the fuel and creates the oxygen needed to burn)
    - It looks good
    - Built in charger so instead of having to connect your own charger(s) externally, there could be a simple UI on the outside of the box.

A few weeks ago they were discussing the future of warfare on the LAN show. How about you come visit the army and see what the actual future of warfare looks like and how's its crazy more complicated then you can imagine. Biggest LAN event in Canada and the largest laser tag to name but a few things we do.  Msg me if you are interested.

Two Ideas:

1. The all 3D-Printed PC Case - We cut Alex lose with the 3D printer and all the filament he wants. He has to build the ultimate PC Case. All 3D printed. Maybe cheating to allow for an acryllic panel or inserts for stand offs. But the spirit is to make it as DIY as possible. With just one big tool. MAYBE 3D Printer + LTT screw driver as the only tools allowed.

2. The Scrap PC Challenge (an iteration on Scrapyard Wars) - We have two teams, they're given identical PC hardware. Motherboards, CPU, coolers, etc. They must construct a fully functional case from entirely non-standard parts. Ideally, it'll be office scrap. Pizza boxes. Whatever plastic they can get. THOUGH, if that ends up being unfeasible, it could be an "uncommon materials scratch build". They have full access to the LTT shop, but may not use any normal PC building parts. Nor fabricate a fully custom case in metal or the like (unless you buy a pre-fabbed metal thing, like a metal ipad stand or a metal carbody panel). The rules may be tricky to work out. Maybe ban them from any store/department with computer parts.

Ideally #2 lets you carry on some of the ideas of scrapyard wars without having to worry about available supplies/parts/used parts.

Entire Case (including any mounting trays) made entirely out of expensive RGB fans, all working properly and cable managed with an S+ tier pc inside.

LMG should really revisit Windows on Steam Deck. It has come a long way since they first looked at it. This guide sets up a near perfect experience for people who primarly game with gamepass, or non steam platforms: 

Spoiler

I have not found a way to fully utilize the Steam and "..." buttons, but I am sure someone will come up with something eventually. I would like to see the Steam button either be an Alt+Tab or just Windows key function. Heck I'd be happy with i being The Win+G button/ Xbox Button. Just something to easily tab out of games.

EDIT: Using SWICD and Windows Power Toys, I was able to map the steam button to the Windows Key and the "..." To be a virtual keyboard. I am sure there are more complex things that can be set up here, but I wanted it to be simple: https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsOnDeck/comments/wn3x05/windows_on_deck_faq_aims_to_be_constantly_updated/

FInally, here is a run down of what I did to get it working ~near~ perfect: 

Spoiler

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

The family / friend tech.

Video(s) where staff members compete in a 'scrapyard wars' style video where they solve basic problems or upgrade another staff member's current home setup. This includes: PC, Audio, Video, Furniture etc.

Kind of the flip side of Intel Upgrade that goes into the whole reuse, recycle and how sometimes some maintenance / repair on a limited budget can be beneficial.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-250w-gan-aio-atx-psu.html

I don't know if someone posted about it here yet, but this is a crazy small and power efficient 250 psu, and theoretically you can chain four of them with a 24 pin splitter for a total of 1000 watts.

It seems to be extremely compact and power efficient- is this marketing BS?

Would love for LTT to test this psu on their fancy new tester.

A video on exactly how bad it is for a computer to suddenly lose power. It's common knowledge that it's bad, but i'm curious to the extent of it. 

Get 3 different builds at different price points: a budget one, a good one and a high end system, all three with an appropriate power supply and motherboard because these two components are probably the most vulnerable to it. Repeatedly unplug them while they're running and turn them back on until something gets damaged. and also of course explain what happened and why.

Maybe you can add a super budget ruthless economy system with a $5 power supply to make it funnier. 

Hi LTT Team

TL:DR:  I NEED A VIDEO HELP FOR PARENTS WHO ARE GIVING KIDS ACCESS TO TECH.  from ages 6-12.  tech companies do NOT help, and do not support it well.  

I REALLY need a professional video, not done by random people who THINK they know what they are doing, but tech experts who can get into contact with major companies like Google, and get answers and fixes.  Because, i love tech, and i want my kids to be literate with tech, but it has been an insane few years.  I dont want videos on, Heres how you turn on family link?  Or, why you shouldn't give a phone to a kid.  But, i want to know what tools that are safe, and reliable, to allow a safer usage of a device.  The issue is, one day, they will have to use an ipad, or laptop.  The other thing, is, sharing of devices.  Or, lock logins.  There are WAY to many work around on things.  I just need to a good guide, that actually looks into most logical work around that block that as well, or is iOS better at parental control? or Android?  Windows?

Cause... i REALLY need one.  and i've contacted google on this... and its beenl... not helpful.  The issue is not about whether to give one to kids or now, because i know you've been clear that before.  But, i had to give my kids a phone because of other issues, and despite its been mostly positive, there had been... some issues.  as i'll list them below.

1. Limits.  With family link, i've been setting limits.  Its been mostly handy because it locks them out of games after a set time, and etc.  But, it doesn't do a great job.  As well as, kids find work arounds to game on the browser, which gets around this.  The other problem with this, is that on google's screen time, i'm not sure why games aren't all locked to 1 hour.  As in, when i lock games to 1 hour, it wasn't all games to 1 hour, it was EVERY GAME, individually locked to 1 hour.  This is insane.

2. Adult content.  I need help on this.  I use google wifi, family link, and android devices for them.  There is an ipad, but i lock that one up more because its my device as well.  The issue is, adult content seems to be leaking through.  Yes, my dumb@$$ kid once searched it up a few times, and i've had my talk, but boy oh boy, i dont know how so much adult content gets spammed to his phone.  I had to switch his phone to browser whitelist mode because it was insane.  Somehow, adult websites spammed his phone with popups and notifications of adult content, and i'm not even sure how.  What was worst, it was google leads and ads that was providing some of the content as well.  I have my google wifi already blocking all adult content access, thinking this was enough.  But sadly, it wasnt.  Family link, and his device being set to child, offered some protections, but no where near enough.  Turns out, it ONLY blocks searchs from google, on adult content, and not from like, bing, or in this case, google search from Samsung's browser, instead of chrome browser. Again, i'd love to know how to block all this without whitelisting.  Hes still young, at 9 years old, but its kinda annoying that even google shoots ads to his phone of adult content.  ALSO, when i say ads, the images were on the notifications, so, even swiping away the ads, he would see pretty disturbing stuff.  

Lastly on this, i can see some things were blocked.  But, it only blocked like 1 of 20 websites.  So, somehow majority of it is still getting through.  Whitelist did fix, but again, its pretty bad to have a kid go through online with a whitelist thing...  also, i think its absolutely disgusting that google even sends ads to my kids phone regarding adult content.  I'm not talking about condoms, or enlargement tools and crap.  This is sites directed to very specific things for viewing pleasure, and easy date sites, webcam stuff... etc.  Like, in my old days, i remember once you go to these sites, you get those pop ups, to go to these sites, but thats because of cookies and spyware and crap.  But, this is GOOGLE.  How da f do i block google?  I dont want my kid targeted by google with adult content stuff.  PS, ads were about 5 second intervals from like 4pm to 6pm daily.  dont know how as i've blocked like everything through whitelist, but ya... 

3. What devices support multi users now?  Ipads dont.. Android tablets use to, but when i last checked, none?  

4. Is apple arcade really safe for kids?  Are all the games safe to play?  Can i limit the play time for my kids on apple arcade?

5.  Good education based apps for kids.  DragonBox use to be amazing before they got bought.  My kid learned math really well with it.  And he enjoyed the game.  Can't find many other apps for this.  Also, would love to see if there are good apps for just work sheet based stuff.  Like, homework giving, that isn't like high subscription fee.

Theres more, but realistically, i just want a video that deep dives into tech for parents, to teach, and protect kids with tech.  Or, what tech is made to help kids?  Also, is companies like youtube actually doing anything to protect kids better?  Is netflix kids safe for kids?  Why does Netflix remove the label for what age group can watch this, like the 18A, or pg13, and stuff.  My daughter is 12, and we transitioned her out of the child stuff, and its been fine with her.  But its often difficult to pick a movie on Netflix because we are always searching on IMDB if this movie is 18A.  One of the reasons for this as well as she loves horror and thriller movies, but 18A movies have been too much for her, so we look for pg13 ones.  Not many, but there are some.  Just annoying that Netflix removes this label making it more difficult.  Also, netflix for kids is like, mind boggling childish.  Like, SUPER childish.  Like, its made for 6 and under type of stuff.  But its hard to really find a platform that like, can me made for say, my daughter, where shes not a child child, but a pre-teen to teen.  

THANKS IN ADVANCED.  Seriously, its been more and more troubling as tech gets more and more complicated.

I think it'd be really cool if LTT did a comprehensive video on all the Virtual Reality or "VR" headsets on the market at the moment. You have obvious contenders like the Oculus/Meta Quest 2 and the Valve Index, but you have other contenders going into the ring, such as Pimax and even Sony with their newly announced Playstation VR 2.

I know they're all kinda filling different niches in the same market, but there's so much going on in the VR space atm that it'd be cool to see some more coverage on it.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Topic: Verizon is forcefully rolling out it's IPv6 router firmware updates... which are incompatible with most Intel NICS. Something Intel has warned about since 2014.

Maybe this is more for the GamersNexus folks? It's a massive story in the making that's just starting to unfold. 

Long story short - Verizon has begun making a massive IPv6 firmware update push over the past few months. Going from 2% coverage only a few months ago, to ~25% as of today. 

The problem is that they're KNOIWINGLY pushing firmware to routers that is incompatible with many Intel NICS. Yet, issuing no warning to paying customers and no direct response on how to work around the problem. They're expecting us to notice it on our own essentially. My guess is that, since it's an issue with Ethernet only... few will even see the problem. 

There have been warnings from intel themselves about potential problems dating as far back as 2014. Actually, it's right around the time Linus made a video about IPv6. 

Since the firmware push, my wired internet upload speeds went from 550mbps+ (gigabit connection)... down to 0.01-0.09mbps. I had to dig deep into Verizon forums to find out that the only work around is through disabling NIC settings relating to IPv6. Even with the changes? My upload speeds hardly crack 100mbps. 1/10 max speed i'm paying for and 1/5ish what i'm used to seeing. 

From what I've read in every forum i've come across on the topic (most starting as of only May 2022), there is no true long-term fix in the works. The only fool proof fix on the consumer end is to replace your motherboard containing NICS not on the incompatible list from Intel. Yet, again from what I understand, it's a relatively simple project for Verizon to accomplish should they care enough. 

If I didn't have a gaming PC hardwired? I never would have known. 95% of people are in the same boat i'd imagine. 

Verizon is not helping, tip toeing around the subject... and continuing to force firmware updates behind the scenes that are crushing internet speeds. 

I think this is an extremely interesting, yet shady, thing they're doing. Would be a great topic for the WAN show or something. 

I don't know if this computer still works but it's an old Laser 128 I believe or at least something of that sort. You could do a video of just playing some of the floppy disks (there's a lot of them since my grandma worked at a school and got all of the disks they didn't need once CDs became the new thing) so there's lots of games and educator programs. You also put the floppy disks in the keyboard. As a later video you could try to upgrade it to play modern games and try to cram a 30 series card in it or even just a modern CPU. Just a fun little series about the pc's of yore. Even if it doesn't work tearing it apart could be interesting to see the differences between then and now. Could try to overclock it or water cool it but it runs DOS and has about 3-5 colors on the monitor that I remember with two settings. You can either get green, cyan, red, and yellow with maybe one more color or you could do the option I usually left it on which was green. Nothing but green. Next time I visit my grandparents I'll see if it works and put an update here assuming I can. The computer was last turned on by me in about 2010-2012 and it worked fine then but 12 years is a long time. 

Edited by flutekiller
For sure a Laser computer. I'll have to talk to my grandmother to find out more since no one else in the family even knew it was there. They only knew about the Commodore. Not to be confused with Commandant...ha. Don't expect a hasty response. Expect Pics

Maybe a video about that CRT prototype that never actually came out? There seemed to be some prototypes around, just haven't surfaced yet, and since LTT's reach is so big maybe you guys could find one to show off? I feel Anthony might enjoy it too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

Basically a prototype that was supposed to have all the advantages of CRT (deeper blacks, higher refresh rate, etc) but also a lot thinner to show off against LCDs

Formula 1 is filled with technology… Like, REALLY filled. 
There’s obviously a bunch of youtube channels covering Formula one, but I have not seen any covering the hardware behind it all. 

I’m not talking the cars, engines etc. - Time trackers, communication systems, camera operations, F1 exclusive hardware (whatever that might be).

And, well, hey… Who knows, maybe you’ll end up suggesting improvements to their technology. 

Amazon has a documentry series called All Or Nothing where they look at a sports team for a season on and off the pitch. i know this was kindof done in the video called "running a youtube business is easy (not easy)" but i was thinking it should be done over a period of a few months or a year with like 6-10 episodes 

I just wish they would review more Cougar products. Like I have the Cougar  Panzer Max case and I’d love for them to do a review of some of their cases. LTT covered one of company’s chairs….but Cougar has some crazy cases out and I’d love to see Linus water cool the panzer max due to its large spacious dimensions and maybe some of the open style designs would be great content in my opinion. Just always found it odd they never covered this company or got a sponsor by them. Anyway I love the channel. 

I see on YouTube a huge amount of desk and office setups that include standing, ikea or modern desks but nothing for antique desks. The primary issue I run into with my hundred year old desk is that none of the monitor/mic clamps work on them. I'd love to see what the LTT crew can come up with to make a clean, ergonomic and modernish desk setup with an old antique desk.