Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

So I noticed this ad going online about “Govee Envisual” which is supposed to boost your existing displays colors and claims a huge difference, meanwhile it’s just a dongle that sits on top of your screen where a webcam would usually be positioned, I was wondering, could you review if there’s anything to it or is it just another product that claims to do the impossible? 
mill attach a link to the product below

https://us.govee.com/pages/govee-envisual

6BE078D9-1FCA-49A0-97E1-F94DA2CD6BE8.jpeg

hey there. 

Why not use your resources to expand into sport that uses creative technology, designing, batteries, remote controllers, fire, weapons: battlebots / robot wars!

These battle shows are rather popular. You could carry the LTT brand in that space, which could push the sell of merch.

Please make a 360 degrees gaming setup. If anyone can do it, it's you guys. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just a funny video.

Referencing both the screwdriver and its Canadian content, (CanCon), how about a fun computer build that uses as much Canadian built or designed components as possible (Matrox, ATI etc old and new). And for extra fun, every screw in the build is replaced by a Robertson equivalent. And if they don't exist, force them! Hopefully the machine won't be held together with deck  and drywall screws! It'll be a small build but a fun promo for the screwdriver. (does it come with Robertson bits?)

A review of workstation grade hardware, in particular the nvidia and radeon workstation graphics cards. What do these cards do that their consumer counterparts don't. Is it true that any decent gaming PC will perform at least as well as any dedicated graphics workstation for the workstation's intended tasks, such a 2D and 3D work, importing and exporting large files, accurate display, rendering and display speed etc.

Please launch a contest on how to build the best of desktop + laptop = ultra portable computer that has it all (uncompromising performance and unlimited upgradability, durability, portability, battery life for at least 1 day of full power use, portable solar panels etc.). I have my design standing by 😉 Thank-you !

Would you be interested in having a go with my Silicon Graphics O2 for a video?  I’m in Vancouver. 

BDAEE7ED-922D-4EA3-A058-913D8FA95D6B.jpeg

a competition on installing Gentoo on two similar system and at the end see who get higher score in benchmarks and whose system actually is suitable for daily work

Been looking to integrate a work laptop into my current desk setup already with  my personal pc. I know there was the ultimate dual work station with two computers (one work, one gaming) video, but that desk wasn't exactly useful as you guys pointed out in that video. I think a video about a clean setup using a laptop with one cable connection and a gaming pc, both connected to a KVM switch would be really cool.

TLDR: Comparing a M1 Max MBP to a 2x Xeon Silver 4116 with 128DDR4 workstation

The comparison its not about the raw power, but about the compromises when using tools for software development and creativity. It would seem that if you have the money to buy that kind of workstation you should also have the money to buy a macbook, but you can get that kind of hardware by buying a renewed for a similar price as the MBP. Its obvious that the workstation beats the MBP on raw performance, but if I i want to travel and work from across the world the workstation is not an option. If I want to also use the computer for a hobby like music producing the MBP seems to be more flexible. 

Then why not compare the workstation with the other workstation that is a laptop?

MacOs have garageband for free, so its cheaper to do my hobby on a mac. Also Macs have an unix like enviroment that it very similar to linux, so the UX of  the kind of software development that I do is far better on mac than windows.

Why dont compare the workstation with a workstation laptop that is running linux?

Again no garageband and the linux free alternatives sucks. Also for casual use I rather use windows or macos than linux.

Why dont do the comparison between the laptop with windows as the main os and the workstation, virtualzing linux in both of them?

Well in the workstation every enviroment will be virtualized, so the main os dont get that much configuration. But the laptop would suffer a greater performance penalty.

If virtualization will be the goal then why compare to the MBP? It doesnt seem to make much sense.

Im more comfortable modifying macos than linux, and since macos can behave almost exactly as linux the virtualization isnt that much of a problem.

I dont know if this is too niche, but i think its a very interesting comparison to explore.

Hope it gets picked up.

Make a video by calling out lenovo scamming their customers by altering documentations and sites regarding their features in a product. My experience is with the Legion 5 pro amd 16 product where they said and mentioned in documentations site and qna that it would with Nvidia advanced optimus built in which it obviously didn't. After receiving complaints from multiple users pointing out that it is mentioned in their site  and documentations they remove the feature from the various sources. Othe companies may also have done the same thing but this is from my personal experience.Old_Lenovo_Legion 5 Pro_16ACH_datasheet_EN.pdfNew_Lenovo_Legion 5 Pro_16ACH_datasheet_EN (1).pdfScreenshot_20220826-182630_Twitter.thumb.png.a99808d5fc5031dd1ea6449d1d8d9523.pngScreenshot_20220826-183127_Chrome.thumb.png.1d24a4823fc1425195ad18f4ea580bec.png1651234795522.thumb.png.fea408d486ee04e4ad25c11ce048ad62.png

Here is a youtube channel that has over a mil subscribers that can use some help with their nas situation, they actually show it in one of their latest videos.

Go to 1:58

Here's a long-shot of a content idea that I would personally like to see:

I've seen a fair amount of content with Alex using some pretty expensive industrial machinery. And while 3D printing with plastics is completely uninteresting to me, I've always had an interest in working with metals for "craft" purposes. It would be awesome to see some content about metal working and all the PC-adjacent content like 3D rendering and all the software that comes alone with it, as well as the best machining tools for it - keeping in mind that a typical hobbyist isn't going to buy a $50,000 CNC machine. 

Obviously YouTube is vast and there are already channels that cover metalworking - but there are also already channels that cover PC builds and gaming content so we're already past the point of trying to come up with "original" content. I think that this sort of hobby/craft content doesn't need to focus on the actual end products, but more about the journey. How to find and use the right equipment, and how to find the right software - all of which is firmly in the LTT wheelhouse.

I'd also like to see Alex bring more engineering perspective to it.

I'm personally in the process of making this:
Space Marine Warhammer 40k blood raven inquisitorial aquilla image 1
using some old brass. I want to make a 2" trinket to hang on my rear-view mirror. The process has been grueling. Partly because I am a complete novice, but also because using 3D modeling software is a giant minefield and it would have been awesome if I had some reliable guidance.

If you've read this far, thanks for your time!

2 minutes ago, OrdinaryPhil said:

Here's a long-shot of a content idea that I would personally like to see:

Merged with the LTT video suggestions thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

So, LTT did the sponsor stuff with Volta a while back. You guys are getting all the testing equipment. I think you should test that charger.

I backed the campaign, got 2 units, 200 watts. They don't appear to actually support 200 watts of output. I'd be curious what the various LTT Labs stuff can test about them/what results they show. I don't know if you still have the unit featured in the sponsor video.

It has been 5 years since the Gaming at 16k video. Maybe once next generation cards drop might be time for an update to see what crazy resolutions you can game at now.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

It has been 5 years since the Gaming at 16k video. Maybe once next generation cards drop might be time for an update to see what crazy resolutions you can game at now.

My first idea is I think too insane. But.... It would be cool.

8x 8k by 8x 8k.

I don't think the hardware exists to actually drive that, BUT could you just imagine, a wall of 8K TV's. Driven by some insane rig full of some 4090 build or I suppose the Quadro 4090 equivalent?

So I recently watched a video in where Linus complained that there are no glossy PC monitors, which made me remember that it is actually possible to turn any matte monitor into a glossy one. The classic method where you put wet paper towels on top of the matte coating and then peel it off. It's super risky, since you have to be very careful about ONLY peeling off the matte coating and not peeling off the polarising filter. Also my understanding is that the screen will a bit more fragile/delicate after doing it, since the polariser is now exposed. Whatever, I'm getting sidetracked here.

Point is, it would be cool for Linus to cover this. It would be cool if they turned a super high end PC monitor (4k + high refresh rate + etc) into a glossy monitor by doing this, showing the process and the end result, maybe comparing it with the original matte version side by side. It would make for a cool video!

There are a few videos on YouTube showing the process already, but they always use some lame old 720p LCD monitor or something. Which is understandable, it's always some random dude who problably isn't willing to risk a super high end expensive monitor. But LTT can afford to risk that! And I'm sure you won't fuck it up anyways (unless Linus drops it)

Ayo surely give my mans Linus a run for his money and review a set of these lil cuties; JBL Project Everest DD67000 😮 Dual 15" Speakers 😄 JBL Themselves doesn't even keep stock of these in my country of Aussiestralia, They gotta be imported 😥 Anyways they are only about $140,000AUD iirc. So pocket money for linus. Hey could put one of these in his car 😄 Anyways surely do it.

JBL Everest DD67000 - Mark Levinson [High End Audio] Test №1 - YouTube

Discord : https://discord.gg/AuFFAA5FAp

PC Spexifimacations :

- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 8c/16t Zen3 Desktop Processor

- GeForce RTX 3080 EAGLE OC 10G (rev. 2.0)

- G.SKill Ripjaws 32GB (4x8) 3200MHz CL16

- Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (Super Sexy Indeed)

- 1TB WD Blue NVMe M.2 SSD + 4TB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD

- Corsair RM750x 750 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

- Coolermaster TD500 Mesh-G (with all fans)

You guys should build something like a GPU that also works as a keyboard. Or maybe even a whole rig in a keyboard.

I think it's been years at this point, but I'd still love to see the LTT take down all these online business scams. Just setting 2 team members to try their "techniques" or "strategy" out.

I've been getting a lot more ads for them again.

You get a 2 for one today, 50K a month, 0 experience required.

Internet Business Scams.png

Online Business Bullshit.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hi! I just created an account to submit this idea and I've been watching LTT off/on since the NCIX days and I love what y'all are doing and the content. So uh, kudos!

Also, since Linus is an investor in Framework, I guess this makes sense?

Quoting CitySeekerTron (this is in regards to how different RAM configurations affect battery life/power draw in laptops):

It would be really cool to see if the testing were redone and to add information about the 12th gen boards. Seeing performance for compute, graphics, and battery life would provide a comprehensive point of reference. I'd like to see a review that could provides input for a Framework 11th, 12th, and for two non-FW systems using the same RAM and using LP-DDR, as I think that would provide a lot more food for thought and fuel to the discourse.

Here's the original comment thread that inspired this post.

Here's my Framework Community thread that may help as a reference point. Please feel free to reach out to me if y'all need anything from my end.

Cheers!

On 8/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, M_K said:

Make a video by calling out lenovo scamming their customers by altering documentations and sites regarding their features in a product. My experience is with the Legion 5 pro amd 16 product where they said and mentioned in documentations site and qna that it would with Nvidia advanced optimus built in which it obviously didn't. After receiving complaints from multiple users pointing out that it is mentioned in their site  and documentations they remove the feature from the various sources. Othe companies may also have done the same thing but this is from my personal experience.Old_Lenovo_Legion 5 Pro_16ACH_datasheet_EN.pdfNew_Lenovo_Legion 5 Pro_16ACH_datasheet_EN (1).pdfScreenshot_20220826-182630_Twitter.thumb.png.a99808d5fc5031dd1ea6449d1d8d9523.pngScreenshot_20220826-183127_Chrome.thumb.png.1d24a4823fc1425195ad18f4ea580bec.png1651234795522.thumb.png.fea408d486ee04e4ad25c11ce048ad62.png

I am sorry if I misunderstand the issue, but you guy seem to have a communication barrier. The reason is that "AMD model" of a laptop might refer to either a laptop with an AMD CPU or a laptop with an AMD GPU. An AMD GPU laptop will ofc not have Optimus because that is an nVidia feature. So if by any chance your laptop has an AMD GPU, it won't have Optimus. Either that, or the representative misunderstands the issue and THINKS you have an AMD GPU and doesn't understand that you have an AMD CPU/nVidia GPU laptop. 

Mount a gaming pc in a rackmount case to a wall, so the front is flush with the wall in one room and the back protrudes through the wall in another room, letting the power button and front IO be accessible from one room, but dumping all the heat into another room.

Or just more videos in general of putting the heat somewhere that isn't by where you're sitting.