Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Video suggestion for Mac Address.  You put the last 5 years of iPhones on a table and cover the model numbers with tape.  Then get some staff to try and name each one without turning it on

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Gather a bunch of random not supper techy people and ask them about their current laptop (what they like and don't), then have options from many different manufacturers of many different types at many different price points (gaming, creator, mac, windows, linux, chromeos, consumer, professional, ultrabook, etc), and let them pick one they would like to try then let them use it and set it up as their main computer and use it for a month or 2, then interview them ask them about every category you would cover in a laptop review (performance, screen, battery, keyboard, touchpad, design, etc) and ask them if they would switch. This allows your viewers to hear from other random people with a variety of different use cases and needs and get opinions on a lot of laptops all at once. I hope you all use this because I would love it.

I'd like to see a video on Digitally Addressable Lighting Interface (or DALI) more specifically DALI-2 and DALI+ (over Thread) With all the problems linus is having in his house, and the work he's currently doing in fitting out the Lab, a look at what DALI-2 can do, in both the commercial and residential spaces would be a great video. Also being that DALI-2 is a manufacturer agnostic IEC standardized protocol that's supported by hundreds of manufacturers across the world, that should tick a few "not a closed eco-system" boxes.

DALI2 Supports things like Motion and Lux Sensors, Switches, Rotary Switches, Touchscreens, Environmental Sensors, Power Consumption (on a per device basis), RGBW (RGBWAF and x,y), Tunable White (for circadian rhythm lighting), all on 1 bus, or alternatively wireless using DALI+ over thread. DALI is supported by all the major lighting manufacturers so doesn't rely on the manufacturer of your system being around in 5-10 years to expand or repair.

There are lots of integrations to things like BMS (collect occupancy and energy consumption data) HVAC (turn on/off AC zones based on occupancy), AV (control lighting using integrated controls in meeting/video conferencing rooms) as well things like MQTT, REST API ect.

The ultimate ltt backpack, upgrading the backpack with either a full blown computer inside or a framework mainboard with an egpu or something, and then having some absurd amount of batteries in it so that it can last a long time and other cool tech stuff idk

Ok so my idea, the idea for Linus Media Group....

1. Buy some mining GPUs when they hit the market.
  2. Take a used editor GPU with about the same build date to relative release. And a hardly used GPU.
  3. Benchmark.
  4. Break down, clean up, replace thermal paste and check pads.
  5. Benchmark
  6. $$$$

Are mining rig abused cards unsalvageable? 

12 minutes ago, Maxx Strike said:

Are mining rig abused cards unsalvageable? 

They made a video about that a few weeks ago. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hey, I got thinking about the electricity prices these days, could you make a video about what laptops and phones are the cheapest to charge, how much their battery is, and how long their last comparison.

I have done it and it was somthing really cool. Windows on Pi. The raspberry pi 4g is enough to run windows.

Two gamers one Amd gpu. I have tried with my rig and it does not work, I can not launch a game.

Based on the Plex video comments it seems like there’s demand for an alternate solution. How about jellyfin and Nextcloud on truenas? Nextcloud is closer to the replacement for the google drive you guys make the joke about in the video, and jellyfin would be a great alternative to Plex. This would be great video for people who have a old desktop lying around and would like to try it out for low cost or free.

I’ve always thought a video covering the legendary Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical and how it’s actually a great cheap gaming mouse would be interesting.

the MLT04 sensor combined with the USB polling overclock driver VS a handful of popular gaming mice would be an interesting comparison.

I have an idea for a LTT Labs experiment video

test whether a 'silence' optimized case like fractal define series is actually quieter than a airflow optimized case

the test would need to involve as many examples as possible of multiple types of cases which LTT must have in their warehouse

controls could be;

having the same fans in the same orientation and position,

having the fans controlled by an external device like a NZXT Grid+ or similar device.

same components in all the cases.

bonus points for with and without a custom water loop for even quieter systems with low temps

AnimeFAN

Do a build under the specified budget from an user say 300000 INR(including taxes), with certain conditions like peripherals to be included , type of peripherals etc

While I have been assembling my own PC's since the INTEL 286 chip was around. I still really enjoy the detailed PC builds. What I would love to see in a detailed video is what setting I should adjust in BIOS and why, then detailed setting for a HOME WIFI, so many options. Anthony would be GREAT at explaining it to us "Simpletons" what are the in's and outs of BIOS mastery and WIFI control.  Just to many options, at least for me, it has gotten confusing and laborious.

LASER ENGRAVING A COMPUTER CASE W/ LOGOJET PRINTER!

Hello LTT Team,

I have recently reached out to a popular visionary artist from Colorado, Phil Lewis, to get a quote on laser engraving a computer case. He has an incredible LogoJet printer which is able to do regular laser engraving, as well as high quality image printing on metal surfaces. He has a lot of experience engraving other items, such as Macbooks, but he seems pretty excited about trying to laser engraving a computer case as he's never done one. My idea was to just laser engrave the tempered glass side panel, which if it was tinted black, laser engraving it would leave clear line work, allowing the RGB from inside to shine through the clear line work. And if its possible to fit the rest of the case in the printer/if the front and top panels are removable, I would like to try and get a coloured design printed onto those panels. Take a look at the Macbook example that I have attached. 

I figured a video covering this project might be entertaining for your viewers. Phil could explain the tech behind the LogoJet printer, or he could maybe get someone from LogoJet to come out to his shop to explain the tech. Then he could show the process of using software to map the best design to the case, and then show the process of actually engraving the case. And then obviously ending off the video with some sweet shots of the PC running with all the awesome laser engraving. I have yet to speak to Phil if he would be open to making a video about the process, but if it did get featured on your channel, I'm sure he would be stoked to make a video if it got him some more exposure.

I'm originally from Ontario, but currently living in BC. My original plan was to just order a case off of MicroCenter or something, and just shipping it to his shop, then get him to ship it back to me once its been engraved. I also already have a pretty solid PC build, including a RTX 3080, to transfer over to the case once I receive it. I would also be completely willing to travel down to his shop in Colorado to help facilitate this video if this is something you guys might be interested in. 

You can find some more examples of his laser engraving work here:
https://phillewisart.com/
https://www.instagram.com/phillewisart/

And you can reach out to me here if this is something you guys might be interested in:
https://www.instagram.com/pap3rcutvisualart/
or
pap3rcut76@gmail.com

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

macbook-home-page-image_2200x (1).webp

I mean if one of you guys is up for it, I just got a 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier with SuperCruise Assist... and I'm gonna be in BC for all of October... I'd totally be up for seeing it in a review.

Here’s my pitch:

My name is Ivo (pronounced Evo) and so I’m hyper aware of tech products with Evo in their name. I’ve literally sprung for a higher end SSD just to get the Evo version for a laugh. What’s bizarre is almost every tech company has one or more products with “Evo” in their name even though it has literally no technical meaning (I guess it’s short for evolved?). It would be fun to try and do a pure “Evo” setup, only using products with “Evo” in the name, I honestly don’t think it would even be that difficult, there are so many products, and you would probably find some weird products along the way.

High, I have a legal cannabis grow in South Africa. I run a 720w lumii black led grow light. 
growing cannabis in the hot South African climate is difficult as cannabis requires temperatures in the range of 20-30°C. The high power consumption leds raise the temperature significantly and I wonder if there is a way to water cool the heatsinks on the grow light. 

A0D14D8C-8B12-42EF-B5FE-997B5621C9C9.jpeg

On 8/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, Real_Smoky said:

I am sorry if I misunderstand the issue, but you guy seem to have a communication barrier. The reason is that "AMD model" of a laptop might refer to either a laptop with an AMD CPU or a laptop with an AMD GPU. An AMD GPU laptop will ofc not have Optimus because that is an nVidia feature. So if by any chance your laptop has an AMD GPU, it won't have Optimus. Either that, or the representative misunderstands the issue and THINKS you have an AMD GPU and doesn't understand that you have an AMD CPU/nVidia GPU laptop. 

@Real_Smoky Please look at the attachments and read it carefully. Its an AMD CPU witht NVIDIA GPU. The nvidia site mentions the model having advanced optimus. Also lenovo advertised the same but since they forgot to put that feature in for the legion 5 pro amd and after selling they removed the feature from list from official documentation, sites saying that we have rectified the same instead of actually fixing it. Its a scam. They said it would have the feature pre installed then went ahead and removed saying oh we made typing mistake.

Can you do a no compromise WIFI setup please??? How to get the fastest internet via WIFI with the fastest equipment for the average joe.

Also what a reasonable setup would be in comparison.

Thanks

LTT
hey guys i think is about time that you guys start entering the Spanish community, you can do dubs, and create a new channel.
some ideas:

• writers for the original video (they will need a manager and someone to approve the scripts)
  • video quality reviewers
  • pls pls make an enterprise outside of Canada for the latam team (if it happens)

for context here is someone that saw the potential 

Floatplane
since YouTube is going to ad a lot of adds that most of the time are crap, have you guys have think to create a new tier for free but with ads
some ideas:

• you create the ads that are already target for the tech market, so we will end up watching and ad from you guys
  • this will increase the conversion of the ad's since we are the target
  • they wont get the exclusive
  • they will get a better quality videos (bitrate, sound, etc)
  • it will increase the revenue for Floatplane 

Meow finally I love the community (I'm not really a forum person, but I'm more of the chat on wan show, and comments on videos)

A similar video to the dashcam video but with electric toothbrushes.

Main players in the field are Braun OralB and Philips Sonicare.

Apparently both of them have a lot of different options from a lot of different price points and APPARENTLY everything but the very cheapest versions USE THE SAME MOTOR. So the 50$ brush has the same internals as the 300$ for the most part. In addition they have some ridiculous stuff like bluetooth, useless brushing modes and other stuff like that to differentiate them from the cheaper models.

Possibly the 300$ models use the same motor but run a little more power through them.

I think a lot of people really could use a video where all the lineups are disected. I want the best for my teeth so I will buy the expensive one if it has any actual benefit, but I don't want to pay 300$ for something that is essencially the same as a 50$ one.

My dentist told me about the OralB lineup using same motors. Also seen others say the same. After that I looked into the Philips Sonicare models which almost all advertise "62 000 strokes per minute" which sounds very suspect and indicates them using the same motor too.

P.S. Some companies rebrand some generic chinese 10$ sonic toothbrush copies of the Philips Sonicare and sell it to gullable people with a subscription for replacement heads. Maybe including something like that could be nice. Here's one that a company in Finland is selling at least: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/IPX7-Waterproof-FoodGrade-smart-sonic-Electric_60785862305.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.412a41d3h7zMK1

(A company sells that under their own name for a subscription that costs a lot over time. They claim the RRP is 170$ :D. I found the replacements heads cost about 1,00 - 1,50$ but they sell them 12.50$ with the subscription (and that's the sale price). For refrence the probably higher quality original non copy Sonicare replacement heads can be found for 4$ retail and are rated to last 3 months instead of the 2 months the copies are rated for.

Thanks!