Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I recently factory ordered a new vehicle with a wireless charger added on. I'm now learning that wireless Android Auto isn't available without a 3rd party accessory. Would love to see a video around the various wireless Android Auto products available. Didn't expect this to be an issue needing resolution in 2023

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but last time I suggested a product from this company it became a video, the $100 hdmi cable with a processing chip in it.  Anyways here is a "Video card for your console"

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

The LTT Tech Tips Video Suggestion there is the proper place to suggest videos @Psittac. I have merged your request into the thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

X amount of people get a budget to buy a gaming laptop OR all the same laptop. The goal is to see who can get the best % better than that laptop's mean (3D Mark for example) with what remains of their budget.

This could be an opportunity to show off a bunch of those cooling solutions for laptops (cooling pads, vent fans, etc.) as well as see the jank solutions that people really like to see in videos.

in need of a anti-virus/computer protection (just the whole protect my computer/network top to bottom) update, could feed well into the recent event with getting hacked as well.

hard to say if you guys have the infrastructure in place to test this stuff yet with lab still getting off its feet, either way would still like to see something more modern, typical problem out there with googling this stuff everything is obviously paid ad spots with things like Norton and MacAfee being stated as #1/#2 respectively even on sites that some used to find had some level of trustworthiness.

Also maybe touching on the deal with kaspersky -- with this war going on doubt the Russian gov even if they likely have their fingers into that companies ass, I doubt they care that much about general consumer data though I could be wrong.

Would love to see a video on the worst phones ever released, maybe like the ranking of the NVIDIA GPUs video!

On 5/12/2023 at 2:35 PM, GeorgeMKane said:

Modern system building in a HTPC case. Can it be done well? How is airflow? Good for a retro / entertainment setup?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#m=63&t=11&sort=price&f=2,7

Personally, I would actually recommend having a media server somewhere else completely so that regardless of how cool you try to keep it, the sound won’t bother you in the slightest because it won’t be anywhere near you.

THEN, for your HTPC, I would recommend doing an Orange Pi 5 Plus build. I would go with the Plus because it’s supposed to have 4 PCIE lanes compared to the 5B’s 1 lane. You can get a higher capacity eMMC module for your on-board storage to leave your upgrade path for those lanes open to either MORE storage on an NVME drive or, if you want to get a little wild, an M.2 to PCIE x16 adapter where you can add a low-power GPU if the onboard graphics don’t suit all your gaming needs.

Ultimately, this leaves you with basically no noise, if any at all, in your entertainment area, and you have a nice, SUPER low profile device for streaming your movies from your media server and/or emulating your old games.

I’m certain there are even better, more efficient ways to do all of this, and even more specifically more efficient ways to do what you’re describing, but this was what came to my mind and is something I hope to do in my own home at some point.

8 hours ago, DBX5TDA said:

in need of a anti-virus/computer protection (just the whole protect my computer/network top to bottom) update, could feed well into the recent event with getting hacked as well.

hard to say if you guys have the infrastructure in place to test this stuff yet with lab still getting off its feet, either way would still like to see something more modern, typical problem out there with googling this stuff everything is obviously paid ad spots with things like Norton and MacAfee being stated as #1/#2 respectively even on sites that some used to find had some level of trustworthiness.

Also maybe touching on the deal with kaspersky -- with this war going on doubt the Russian gov even if they likely have their fingers into that companies ass, I doubt they care that much about general consumer data though I could be wrong.

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the only AV LTT still has any ties with is BitDefender, and personally, I’d say it’s probably the best consumer option available.

I hope someone corrects this if I’m wrong, but I’m about 93% certain LMG is still occasionally making videos with BitDefender sponsor spots. I’m pretty sure I actually saw one within the past 3 months.

I believe Linus said a while back that due to the UNBELIEVABLY wide variety of AV and lack of verified, efficient processes for TESTING AV software, they have no current plans to use the labs resources for testing different AV options.

I am afraid that I was scammed today. While running errands, a couple of guys bumped into me and told me they were doing an installation of new AV equipment at the nearby university and they had an accidental surplus of this high quality AV equipment (amplifier with 5.1 surround sound, projector, and retractable screen) from their supplier this morning. Not wanting to bring it back to the supplier or make anyone in their company aware they had extra, they offered to sell me one of their surplus sets at quite a bargain price. They showed me the equipment and while I didn't immediately recognize the brand names, I brushed it off as it being "enterprise equipment", because the MSRP's on the boxes were very high. There was an essence of time pressure so I didn't have time to look anything up, I rolled the dice with fate and my thought became "damn, what luck that I run into these guys with their really nice stuff and that they are selling it to me for a very reasonable price based on the MSRP labels". It wasn't until much later in the day that I had time to look up the projector, screen, and sound system I purchased and I quickly learned that I was scammed. Even as I type this out it sounds absurd and while I generally have a pretty high scammer alert radar this seems to have slipped through. I think it partly had to do with the story of doing AV installs at the university being believable, and partly because the guys I chatted with were similar in age to me, so I naturally let my guard down a bit.

The reason I mention all of this is to just make people more aware of these "white van scams" that are apparently happening more and more now. Today was my first time ever hearing about it, so hopefully somebody can read this and learn from my mistakes. Also, I would love to know if anyone at LMG would be interested in taking a look at this equipment that I purchased just to see how badly I was scammed? I am curious to know if for example the sound system is actually capable of delivering 2500 watts through its 5.1 surround system, or how close the projector is to displaying 8K. I am willing to provide more details on each of the pieces of equipment if needed. Thanks!

On 5/15/2023 at 11:10 PM, Mizino7 said:

You guys do a lot of videos on odd controller and keyboard types. You know things that are intended to be for people with differences. However you’ve never really had anyone on that was differently abled. I’m a left hand amputee, I play some console games and pc games. I’m also a software engineer, a long time pc builder, photographer, and much more. All of which I do with out my left hand. I’d actually like to propose that I come on to be interviewed and discuss what I personally do to game on the different platforms, things and trends in gaming that seem steps in the right or wrong direction, and so on. Perhaps you guys would be interested in such a video?

This is a great idea IMO

I'd like to address the elephant in the room. Not many people realise this but if you copy the AppData/Local/Google location from PC to PC 9/10 applications/websites wont require you to log in. This doesn't just affect YouTube but also other potential security problems like password safes which are built in as an extension. Check it out.

So this might be a bit more of a shorts video, but with everything charging with USB-C, you probably are familiar with the device-2-device charging of topping up your phone from your laptop or wireless headphones from your phone. But today, while in a workshop without access to wall plugs, my coworker ran low on battery (2%) on his MBP 13". and as a joke, he plugged the charging cable into my MBP 16", and to both of our surprises his MBP 13" started to charge, skip ahead 3 hours, both machines where still running and the MBP 13" had 20% charge, while my MBP 16" was down to 45%. very impressive that the MBP 16" count supply this amount of current for that amount of time. so the idea is how extreme can you take this?     

I've heard about this Synergy Storage Driver for SSDs a few times in the past couple of weeks. It replaces the core Windows driver, and is supposed to boost SSD performance up to 170%

There was an article on Tom's Hardware about it the other week; https://www.tomshardware.com/news/solidigms-new-synergy-20-ssd-driver-claims-up-to-170-speed-up

I'd really like to see how good this is with a few common SSD (incl. M.2) drives used for gaming & whether it's worth installing.

One thing that has always plagued me is SCROLL WHEELS. I would say that I use the scroll 'middle click' more than the average person, and I haven't had a single mouse where the scroll wheel doesn't wear out (or isn't immediately bad).

Middle clicking results in multiple clicks, it's inconsistent.

When scrolling down, the scroll wheel goes up? Or does nothing entirely.

I am using the Logitech PRO-X Superlight. Before that, I used the wired Zowie EC2-A for a long time.

Can we get a video focused around scroll wheels?

Evening,
I would like to suggest a video topic. The annoying proliferation of USB 2.0 devices being marketed as 3.0 just because they have USB Type C, USB B SS, USB Micro B SS or even USB A Female 9 pin connectors. I just bought a couple "USB 3.0 7 port hubs" off amazon for fairly cheap. All ports have 9pin USB A connectors. But I took it apart to use for a project I am working on and the Hub controller chips inside are just basic 4 port USB 2.0 hub controller chips. It is getting more and more difficult to parse through crap listings to get legit products these days. Between that and conversations I consistently have these days, Its still surprises and annoys me how many people mistake Port type with protocol and speed. I had a co worker (in the tech space) tell me her core i7 was slow. When I asked what gen it was, she said its an i7. So no surprise people think all Type C ports are USB 3.0 or even lightning ports. Or think blue 9 pin Type A means it is a 3.0. 

Thank you.

One of the first videos that hooked me on watching every daily video is "The Gaming Minivan Part 1". My guess is that the official battery is still not on the market. I would still love to see a part 2.

A few years ago I picked up a server that used to be in service for the (now barely alive, arguably defunct) Freenode IRC network between 2003-2013, which is, as far as I know, the only preserved physical Freenode server, if you'd like to borrow it to make a video about Freenode.image.thumb.jpeg.de1c3f2d93300c8c698f54eb0737f7d5.jpeg 

I saw a Project Tango (Google) Dev kit being sold on FB marketplace and thought it'd be a nice idea for a video. I have included some screenshots of the posting. 

Screenshot_20230520-081222.png

Screenshot_20230520-081212.png

Screenshot_20230520-081201.png

Screenshot_20230520-081152.png

Tecno pantom v fold 

Cheapest folding phone and also the best performing phone at time of launch as fold 5 is 6 months away atleast

On the WAN show you talked about the loss of data from the internet.

Have you considered talking to an organisation like the British Library who are tackling this for UK sites.

The amount of information on historical events that is lost daily due to the nature of the internet is shocking.

I would like to see a Mac address talking about apple sidecar for ipads, and the experience for mobile productivity.

How well does it work across varying tiers of MacBook?

Which ipads make sense to use as 2nd monitors?

How does the experience of moving some apps to the ipad as a 2nd screen, compare just doing the work directly off the ipad and syncing progress via cloud / airdrop / etc.?

And for anyone that has both MacBook and ipad, would they normally bother setting up the sidecar link in daily work?

I just was informed about this device from my wife and though it's out of the normal tech focus, I imagine a review of it would be more like one of the Sarah/Yvonne episodes with a more artistic flair. 

https://www.singer.com/ditto-shop?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw36GjBhAkEiwAKwIWyZnd6fuEv-HB2TLTlmV4Edno-NCY8IgzWXB7J_ii_rLxnc2mnlbEwxoCplIQAvD_BwE

It's essentially a customizable projector for projecting designs onto fabric for clothing design. Something to bring in a new demographic of viewer, and still be a cool new take on tech improving a field not exactly known for its technology. 

A “Steam Deck: One Year Later” video. In the original review, a lot of the review talked about software and how it still needed some work. I would love to see a video done present day on the steam deck since it has been out for a little over a year. Maybe even include a 

part about the team’s favorite customizations.

I know LTT doesn't really do any firearm related content, but due to that fact I think they have a great opportunity to review smart gun storage options. 

LTT, using the lab, is in a position to put smart firearm storage options through their paces and provide reliable information on the best options to keep our firearms stored safely and securely while still being able to access them quickly in case of an emergency.