Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I know I'm a new member, but I've been following for a long time now. I actually have a pretty funny story.

Do you like failed Kickstarter stories? Maybe ones that have made continual promises and only delivered a small amount of product with a technology that is honestly pretty sad? How about sad Chinese Android skins on a mediocre device that doesn't function as advertised?

If that sounds interesting at all, boy oh boy do I have a story and a physical device that I think the LTT crew would be pretty happy with; the Reinkstone R1 Kickstarter!

I have done a crap ton of digging into the company itself, even calling the manufacturers after they failed to send out the promised product for about 2 years, and even when they did eventually send it out; it doesn't work like expected, and barely anyone got one.

Honestly I'd love to send mine out to the LTT people if they'd have it and think that this is an interesting story ❤️

I have an idea to run a PC using a car. Since car has a 12V power. could it possibly be used as a power supply to run a PC? It's a bit challenging considering the conditioning of the DC power will be low with 12v from car, but maybe some LRC circuits can be used to solve that. Especially now that you guys have a Robotic enginner there, could be a fun project.

Hi all,

Can you guys do a video on taps? i don't mean silly old taps i mean 30TB behemoths. Our company has thousands of them which we use as cold backups for our stuff in a couple datacentres. I didn't know they where so widely used until recently.

Example is the HPE LTO-8 Ultrium 30TB RW Data Cartridge, for only 100 bucks.

PC building is so mainstream now, it's impossible to choose the "best stuff" 

AIO ? vs Air Cooling? Which AIO, which RAM? what about Case - is airflow even important anymore with AIO? 

My apartment built in the 1920s has a single 12Amp fuse for all the wall sockets in my house. I am forced to spec out a very efficient build so the CPU and GPU are a simple choice  (7800x3d+4070). But holy shit batman, when it comes to the accessors (coolers, ram, case, mobo) why is everything RGB this and RGB that, I don't want a window - the computer is on my floor. It's hilarious (and kinda cool) that recommendations now include comments on "how sick this AIO looks" vs an "ugly ass air cooler". I miss the days where there were clear winners and losers in the accessory "best bang for your buck" (ram, mobos, cases, fans, even NVME drives!) and now there are so many options it's almost a daunting task to dig into what's the "best"  😔

Remember of the days where you would just flat recommend WD Black spinning drives, or G.Skill Ripjaw Ram? 

In this evening's/morning's video (depending on your timezone), Linus and Jake put a lot of emphasis on TrueNas. It's fantastic software, but it can be tedious to get into for a home user, particularly when it comes to addons/additional server functionality like Plex, email, setting up said NAS as an NVR, etc. While there is plenty of fantastic resources on the net for setting up TrueNas and it's Plugins, a novice user will still find the process of sorting through it all, plus the trial & error that comes with learning a new system, incredibly tedious. An LTT or TechLonger video that takes a bit of a deep dive into TrueNas, starting with the basics and working up into some of the more intermediate functionality, would be incredibly beneficial for a lot of new users.

I found this thread for a specific reason, I have only found ONE software, DisplayFusion (on steam), that allows you to contain tabs within each monitor. Why isn't this a thing/option on Windows? I get that windows has that thing that lets you have different desktops, why haven't anyone made something for different monitors, I hate having multiple tabs that I have to alt tab through.

I.E. I have chrome, spotify, and discord on one mintor, and on the other I have chrome, steam, and cs:go on the other. I should have the ability to alt tab through windows specific to that monitor and not have all the other things I can alt tab to display. 

I get that not everyone would want this so it should be an optional setting.

I'm not sure if this counts as a techtip, but I'm hoping that someone can bring awareness to this so there can be other applications that provide this feature or hell, windows adds it themselves. 

May I suggest trying to fit a system into the volume of the 4090Ti, or an aftermarket version of it? Those cards are gargantuan and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to fit a system build into one, even if you have to stretch the definition to volume so that you can rekerjigger the dimensions to fit components that wouldn't fit into the shape of a 4090Ti.

Not sure if this is where you would post video ideas but I have been playing with the browser "Arc" from "The Browser Company" for a couple months now and am surprised it hasn't been talked about more. Here is some links with the official website and a video demonstration of the features of the new browser. Normally you would have to join a waitlist for the browser but as some who has it I can get you early access through an invite system. Would be really cool to see on LTT somewhere!

arc.net

It would be in general or ltt realeases?but yeh I like the idea

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Are you guys going to do a revised video about atlas os I just came about this video and it does highlight alot of things that are very important specially about the anti-cheat

13 minutes ago, CrazyColombiand04 said:

Are you guys going to do a revised video about atlas os I just came about this video and it does highlight alot of things that are very important specially about the anti-cheat

I have merged your video suggestion idea into the Video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Maybe a video on how though modern IT parts have become.
Like what if you overtorq the motherboard screws?
Wiggle graphic cards like Sarah Butt does, will it effect the long lasting of the part?
Overpressuring water-cooling loops, any risk's?
Putting way to much thermal paste on a cooler ...

A bit like when you tested with Electricboom the effect's of ESD on parts.

Do a video on alternatives to intel/amd.

I.e. best ARM based pc and laptop options. 

probably necessary to include a Linux testing portion for this video tho.

I have a suggestion for an informative video.

When Linus is talking about a motherboard, he talks about their numbers and generations like it was common knowledge. Z450 or B640 or whatever (sorry these numbers are all a blur to me)

A very good video is to explain the numbering and lettering for motherboards from different manufacturers and the features they offer and how it affects your experience across different tiers of CPUs.

may I suggest a video on how much ram you need on a system with integrated gpu

the video on how much ram you need was on system that all have their own GPU with dedicated vram  as integrated gpu use system ram i wonder if its not interesting how much ram you need for a  system with integrated gpu to be able to do some light gaming on them

preferably both intel and AMD solutions

21 hours ago, cant windows123 said:

Do a video on alternatives to intel/amd.

I.e. best ARM based pc and laptop options. 

probably necessary to include a Linux testing portion for this video tho.

also RISC V

On 4/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, CrazyColombiand04 said:

They talked about it on the WAN Show on Friday @ 1:15:39.

Can you guys review the TEAMGROUP MS30 512GB, its $20 and seems like it has mixed but positive reviews,

I recently watched a video about Li-Fi practical use cases over long distance as 5G antenna. It's an idea tested on the high mountains of Himalayas with that just runs on a small solar panel and a battery. 

The video language might not be understood but trust me, you will understand the concept, could be a good video if Linus and team could do an experiment.

Linus can try this between his LTT owned buildings I guess. I remember a video of them trying to lay a fibre cable which probably is more expensive and laborious solution comparatively.

Somewhat inspired by the garage heating experiment Linus did it occured to me that you might be able to guide the heated exhaust air into the bottom of a clothes drying / airing rack, creating an effect somewhat similar to those heated racks that have little tent things (pic attached).

This could allow the user to make use of that already warmed air to reduce time and money spent on drying clothes.  Could test with an (LTT STORE DOT COM) towel or clothing items the time and energy needed to just air dry, use a regular dryer, use one of these racks, or use that exhaust air from your PC.

If it worked even moderately well it could be a neat thing for people in smaller homes, without gardens, or living in climates where hanging clothes outside isn't really feasible most of the time.

Product reference:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71riVK8R5rL._AC_SL1244_.jpg

Video reference:

With your recent cooling and modding (like the 5000W chiller) and/or enterprise-grade hardware videos, it would be cool to see you tackle some Fukuoka MQ challenges. You would need to look into some of the specialized algorithms that are already "available", but I don't see that being a problem for at least someone on your Labs team.

This one is kind of disgusting, but what about testing the dustiest PC possible. I.E. collect all the dust from your grandmas basement and fill the PC up woth it until it breaks(?) / overheats / fails in some other way, or contines to work normally, in which case it can be concuded that PC's don't need to be cleaned

Regarding your video: "YouTube Made Me Review This Budget GPU - GT 1030 ": Can we get a follow-up video sporting match-ups between budget GPUs still made and sold new from manufacturers on Amazon vs GPUs embedded in CPUs (APUs)? I would love, for example, to see a GT1030 matched against Ryzen integrated graphics, all else being equal.

How to protect your electronic devices from CME

I feel this information will soon be very useful with the coronal mass ejections currently on their way to Earth. How can we keep our computers protected?