Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I know Scrap-Yard PC's as we know it might not be possible anymore but maybe changing the methodes of getting parts might make it possible to do a new serie.
Buying online through Ebay, Facebook market place, second hand sites, local newspaper add's, ...
This way you can keep your identity a secret and still look for parts.
And if you keep the budget low enough it might give great parts a second change to shine in the spotlight.

You guys should review the Coca-Cola branded Realme 10 Pro...... would be interested to see your take on it

On 4/20/2023 at 6:40 PM, fpo said:

Windows vs ipad vs Android tablets for productivity, office work, etc. 

Maybe make edzel use one for a week for about a month since iirc, he's more human resources/managing/scrum master equivalent if he's still in that position that was mentioned in a video a while back. 

James is also pretty managerial. 

Plus I like seeing those guys on camera and it has been a while since we saw them for more than short segments. 

Oh, and Nick light because he can't hide from us forever!!!

Maybe Colton cuz he's a goofy lad himself. 

Prolly over scope to have so many working on a video, but I can dream up cool videos. 

That's more of a Mrwhosetheboss kind of video

12 minutes ago, Niru Pathman said:

That's more of a Mrwhosetheboss kind of video

Maybe but I only watch Linus tech tips. 

I would like to hear their thoughts and opinions since I feel like I understand what they mean even if they use the wrong words because I've been watching them nearly 10 years. 

I would like to see a video intercom video.

My home has a malfunctioning m&s whole home intercom that is malfunctioning. It appears these systems are no longer made. In researching replacement options it looks like I can reuse the cat 5 home runs the current system uses and install Android poe tablets in all the rooms, video doorbells at the front and back doors, and install home assistant or something similar to create a video intercom system.

Also in this process I am finding tutorials and videos online very hit or miss. Nothing seems to address this situation. Wifi seems to be the method of choice. Does everyone really need so many devices on home wifi? There seems to be some Chinese manufactured poe solutions, some more attractive than others. The information available is limited (can dahua software be installed on any android tablet?) and I'm not sure how comfortable I am installing Chinese hardware/software purchased off of Ali express in the current political climate.

Hopefully you find this suggestion interesting and not too niche to cover. Thanks for your consideration.

16822123467082354617775368953016.jpg

16822124357324855189338283837193.jpg

16822124577644104846299367366972.jpg

16822124697684158009627229698782.jpg

16822124961967763255626943123138.jpg

16822125437373703582713290160228.jpg

Watching the low expectations video including the audio, and got me thinking -

I wear hearing aids (specifically https://www.phonak.com/en-us/hearing-devices/hearing-aids/audeo-paradise) - they are Bluetooth, and I use them to listen to audio from my phone etc directly (as well as the obvious hearing improvements from a slightly funky profile). Mine are in-ear... No, not "air pod sitting in the outer ear canal", but actually having a wire to a *tiny* speaker that sits well inside my ear canal (slightly over 1cm inside) with a little rubber umbrella-like shroud holding them in place 😛 

I'd be interested if there was one (or more) LTT videos on hearing aids - especially given the price of some of them (I could have bought cheaper, but £3k GBP for the pair here). There's assumptions to be made on how they adjust audio for a specific hearing profile, but mine make Crab Rave sound so much better than anything else I've heard (even through said hearing aids lol)

It's sort of an assumption that what I hear through them is related to what is actually going on with some processing - but I've recently seen an article (sadly didn't save) saying that Air Pods could double as cheap hearing aids (tbf, I've seen the cheap ones and wouldn't be at all surprised), but at the very least having a flat profile and testing some of them should give some nice graphs for response and quality.

Testing the mic & hearing-aid part of them would be a totally different exercise, and despite how interesting that would be I don't think it's relevant - there's a lot of us geeks with hearing problems, and once you start wearing them it becomes far easier to use directly rather than putting a big headset on top (and getting the likely resultant feedback loop) 😕

3 hours ago, Rycochet said:

Watching the low expectations video including the audio, and got me thinking -

I wear hearing aids (specifically https://www.phonak.com/en-us/hearing-devices/hearing-aids/audeo-paradise) - they are Bluetooth, and I use them to listen to audio from my phone etc directly (as well as the obvious hearing improvements from a slightly funky profile). Mine are in-ear... No, not "air pod sitting in the outer ear canal", but actually having a wire to a *tiny* speaker that sits well inside my ear canal (slightly over 1cm inside) with a little rubber umbrella-like shroud holding them in place 😛 

I'd be interested if there was one (or more) LTT videos on hearing aids - especially given the price of some of them (I could have bought cheaper, but £3k GBP for the pair here). There's assumptions to be made on how they adjust audio for a specific hearing profile, but mine make Crab Rave sound so much better than anything else I've heard (even through said hearing aids lol)

It's sort of an assumption that what I hear through them is related to what is actually going on with some processing - but I've recently seen an article (sadly didn't save) saying that Air Pods could double as cheap hearing aids (tbf, I've seen the cheap ones and wouldn't be at all surprised), but at the very least having a flat profile and testing some of them should give some nice graphs for response and quality.

Testing the mic & hearing-aid part of them would be a totally different exercise, and despite how interesting that would be I don't think it's relevant - there's a lot of us geeks with hearing problems, and once you start wearing them it becomes far easier to use directly rather than putting a big headset on top (and getting the likely resultant feedback loop) 😕

I wear the same ones or at least they look identical. They're about 5 or so years old at this point. While I too would find it great, I don't think it would be in ltt's interest given the very niche segment they hold. Would be of little value to probably 95% or greater of their sub base and would not make much business sense. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I would like to see a review and benchmark of mythic intel 5th gen processors (broadwell), some people say these chips are even faster than the 7th gen due to them having a 4th layer of cache

i really liked this video including the brief segment on reusing old mobile cpus on special desktop motherboards

i just took apart my moms old dell Inspiron 6000 and pulled out the Pentium m 730 that was inside, and I was wondering if you could get more in depth on how there is a market for reusing old pga intel mobile cpus as desktop processors. I may be able to send you guys the Pentium m 730 but the thing is I do not know if it is still functional, but if LTT can get it working that would be super cool.

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

I've been thinking about this one since I saw the 8K Red Camera Cooling episode: 

You guys need to water cool one of Gavin's (Slo Mo Guys) high speed cameras.  How different could the performance be on those cameras?  Is thermal throttling of the camera one of the limiting factors on how fast they go?  Could one of his 'less expensive' cameras get a huge jump?  Could his fastest cameras break reality with 5000 watts of cooling from the laser cooler?? I want to know.

Edited by Largonaut
Added 'slo mo guys' on the off chance someone doesn't know who I meant by 'Gavin'

How about a video about Intel Arc gpu's with older hardware. I am running an A770LE on an MSI Z390-A PRO with a 9700KF and everything works fantastic. With a bit of overclocking I get a port royal score of just under 7500 (7556 was my highest but it wasn't quite stable). 9th gen intel is not officially supported but after flashing the latest official (not beta) bios I was able to enable resizable bar and I have been daily driving this setup without issues for months. The A770 is a great card for 1440p gaming and at its price point I'm sure there are plenty of people running 9th gen who would consider it if they knew it could be viable for them. I would think LMG has at least a few 8th and 9th gen boards kicking around and it would be really great to see someone start a list of older boards that will work with alchemist. 

On 4/23/2023 at 6:10 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

I wear the same ones or at least they look identical. They're about 5 or so years old at this point. While I too would find it great, I don't think it would be in ltt's interest given the very niche segment they hold. Would be of little value to probably 95% or greater of their sub base and would not make much business sense. 

Mine are a little over a year now - but estimates put the number really high - https://www.who.int/health-topics/hearing-loss#tab=tab_2 - so while it might not be a priority by any definition, you can say that about a lot of the videos - I'd just find it very interesting to see how the new audio testing stuff rates various hearing aids for bluetooth sound, and are mine any good (mostly want to find out if the in-ear peanuts are better or worse than these tine speakers!) 🙂 

We need a video on the 8BitDo Ultimate controller!

They did a video on the Gulikit King Kong and noted some odd quirks with the controller, but the 8BitDo ultimate also has Hall effect joysticks and has great reviews on Amazon!

I know collaborations are hard to do as it needs to work out for both parties and also be beneficial and not one channel propping up another however one I would like to see would be with

Jazza (formerly Jazza Draws) has about 6.5m subscribers on their main channel and 3 or 4 other channels with good figures to allow for more focused content

tbw reason for a collab would be 2 fold 

for Jazza better understanding of the technology they promote and use outside of just the art working side of it, and a chance to do something similar to maybe the cyberpunk case they did with nerdforge 

thwte is also a link with ASUS with jazza being sponsored by them and being a judge in one of the global digital artwork competitions. 

for LTT I think it would be good content similar to the nerd forge collab but I also think the technology that’s used outside of gaming is lacking and even if it wasn’t on the main channel it would be good for the writers to understand from successful artists what makes a good piece of hardware for artwork and what to look out for and what are gimmicks that sound good but are not use to an artist. 

I also think Jazza and Linus are very similar people in terms of the channels and what they are trying to achieve. Maybe it will be to similar and clash or maybe it might just work well.

either way I think there is content and learning outside of just the video for both parties 

Someone at the University of Alberta brought a PC in a briefcase to the library to play Minecraft. Definitely a banger video making a briefcase pc.

I'd love to see a detailed video on drivers, especially secondary components... everybody knows to install GPU drivers, most people install Chipset drivers, but what about Ethernet, Bluetooth, WiFi, Sound, or even more obscure devices like NVMe Controller, SMBus etc.... do you need to worry about installing drivers for those devices? Is the "Microsoft Basic" driver that is installed by default good enough, or are there any advantages to be had by installing all the drivers manually? 

Charity auction where the highest bidder gets to play Linus (or any of the hosts) in their choice of online game.Maybe some sort of prize if you beat them at $GAME. Have maybe two "paths", one for the deep-pockets folks who raise money, and another discount tier where the best gamer gets a prize/etc. In addition to funds, would raise awareness/involvement for $GOOD_CAUSE

I've run lasso for years. It overrides the core control of windows and does it itself. It has extra abilites including locking certain cores to certain programs.

I've always wondered how games run on Lasso vs Windows.

Think it would make a good video?

LINUS PLAESE MAKE A VIDEO ON WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!!! my very first pc was a laptop given by the school. one day I built a pc my first desktop but I could only get a Pentium in it and a gt 710 and 8gb ram ddr3 mind you, i had an SSD that was actually in my laptop and pc that i had built and was running windows 10 home as was my laptop. i was in csgo on my desktop getting a max of AVG 44fps and a 1%low of 32 . one day i thought i might take out the SSD from my laptop and put it in my desk top idk too see what happens, i was new to this stuff. but i processed to do s, i put it in there and ran csgo, i was so god damn stunned at that age wondering on how the hell i was getting over 200fps in csgo with the same hardware in the desk top. all i did was just change ssd over i got the biggest boost in pc history then i found out about drivers and all sorts of update that was "needed" so i did so, it change my hole config on my ssd mind u it was the one from my laptop, replace driver that are ment for my laptop to one needed for the desktop, 5 mins later and one restart load the same game and was back to the AVGFPS OF 44 AND A 1%LOW OF 32. i would love if u can look into this alot more because i believe there's even more in a pc then you have shown with the atlas update but my god is atlas good tho. But please linus look into this i had a dell note book as well thank you!. 

Reviving old hardware and running old games that correspond to the Era of the hardware been finding old systems in the street and I've been using them to create a retro gaming room for classics 

PC speed building competition

Who of the LTT team has the best PC speed building skills? In multiple rounds with increasing difficulty the absolute king of PC building will be found.

Imagine you work in a boutique pc building shop and a good customer just bought a new PC and is waiting in the shop. He (or she) needs to go to a new appointment and requests you to build it ASAP and hand it over to the customer.

But with high speed of building comes a high risk of errors or even injury. Will the customer be satisfied with the build? Or will the customer call you angry, as soon as he is home and request endless phone support or that you come over to perform endless on location repairs?

Participants of the competition will compete in three rounds and in each round they will build exactly the same system with the same components and tools.

First round 'easy': will be build into an easy matx case (projected time: 30 minutes)
Second round 'not so easy': will be build into an itx case  (projected time: 40 minutes)
Third round 'hard': will be build into a small itx case  (projected time: 60 minutes)

The required build time will be measured.
Completing the build within the projected time will grant you 100 points.

When the case is submitted, the timer will stop.

On submission, the build is judged and you will get points subtracted for the following:

Blood on a component: -50
Blood on the outside of the case: -100
Made smoke / created a short: -250

No post: -100
No video: -50
Fan not running (while it should): -40 per fan
Fan rattle / noises: -20 per fan
Leftover screws: -20 per screw
Loose screw in case: -50 per screw
Component not visible in device manager: -50 per component (ram, audio, network, storage, etc)
Unstable full load: -150

Bonus points for

> 95% of reference cb score +100
> 95% of reference 3dmark score +100

> 105% reference cb score +100
> 105% reference 3dmark score +100

Noise level lower than 25 db idle +60
Noise level lower than 38 db load +60

I can imagine this will become a fanatical competition where employees (or outsiders) will improve over time and find out about different strategies. I think this could be hilarious.

The actual times / points earned or lost need some fine tuning but I am sure the LTT team can think of a good scoring system that is fun or can benefit different strategies. Imagine the amount of jokes that such a format provides!

Maybe introduce 3 levels of how fast it is completed. Like super fast <20 minutes: 300 points, 30 minutes: 200 points, 50 minutes: 100 points.

Looking forward to see this!!

@GabenJr might be interested in this
Linux program compatibility.
Windows has a lot of backwards compatibility. Now with the "de-bloat" software, Windows is hard pressed...

Linux has distro based on Debian, and some based on Arch.
How is the compatibility of programs?
What programs work based on what distributions?

This could probably be a quick short...
But some form of Linux compatibility thing would be cool.

I don't know what X11 is, but I heard is some form of windowing standard in Linux.
If there are multiple standards, what can developers do to have the widest compatibility with Linux Distros?

Google Jacquard has Been Killed off. It would be cool to do a retrospective of the technology and explain why it never got any traction. I own a Small Levis Jacquard Second gen that I could lend for the video!

Migrating to new tablet, PC, phone.

Talk about experiences.
What transfers?

I have a phone and a PC, and a tablet, and so on... talk about the experience of "upgrading."
Sometimes your phone is old or you can tell it's definitely going to break.

Linus mentioned he doesn't upgrade phones anymore because it's a hassle to switch and upgrade phones even if he gets $5k phones for free because he doesn't want to set that $h1T up.
Same deal for me and moving to Linux... I'd only go to Linux Mint if I go to Linux cuz it looks like windows Xp/Windows 10 by default. (Plus compatiblity, but that's besides the point.)

Talking about and reviewing lotterymining bitcoin. Using for example these: https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/bitcoin-merch®-mars-lander-solo-bitcoin-miner-up-to-250gh-s , https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/usb-dual-miner-dogecoin-bitcoin . Or by just setting up a solo mining pool for your GPU letting it run constantly. The chances of mining a block are neglible and the equipment is so expensive. The chances can be checked here: https://solochance.com/ Unsure of the validity of those number though.