Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I’d also love to see someone at lmg try to build a modded controller

never

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

wut?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I just saw the "What Happens if you Water Cool an Air Cooler?" video, and for some reason that made me remember a video I saw recently about the Lian Li PC-6010 tower with side aquarium from around 2000. Yup, you read it right, the original side panel can be replaced by a 2nd side panel with a see through aquarium where you can see the inside of your computer AND relax while watching the plastic fiches swimming around with the flow of the bubbles being pushed by an air pump. But that was a very ugly gray tower for today's standards.

But that was 2000... what I would love to see from the geniuses at LTT was a current gen tower, with a modified side panel to fit some kind of see through aquarium that also doubled as a water reservoir for a water cooling system. This would save some space inside the tower by having the reservoir on the outside, AND double as a window to the inside of your system. But please, put in some plastic fishes and make the RGB colors flash mainly blue, otherwise it won't look like an aquarium at all....

What about talking of how Synology screwed over their customers in the Intel C2000 failures? A hardware problem in some of Intel's C2000 series SoCs caused the hardware to fail abruptly leaving the end user with a bricked device. 

Reference to the issue here:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/244074-intel-atom-c2000-bug-killing-products-multiple-manufacturers

https://www.theregister.com/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/5shp93/intels_atom_c2000_chips_are_bricking_products/

Where many serious manufacturers including Cisco and CheckPoint would proactively inform their customers about the issue and offer an in-place pro active replacement, Synology instead choose to extend the warranty on affected products by 1 year. 

Synology's statement:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/company/news/article/Synology_Product_Status_Update/Synology® Product Status Update

What this means is that if you did not have a failed hardware within the warranty, it could fail one day after the extended warranty ended. And despite this being a known manufacturer error they are regularly denying their customers support. Despite shipping a defective product initially and knowing about it within the warranty period.

This happened to my RS2416RP+ which warranty expired in January of 2021 with the extended warranty. It also seems to have affected a lot of users in similar situation. 

Laughably or sadly you can solder a resistor between pin 1 and 6 on the internal J2 connector (some models might have different names) and by doing so you will again power the component required for boot. I applied this fix to verify that it was indeed the C2000 error this appliance was affected by and then I turned to their support explaining the situation that they had shipped me a factory faulty appliance which failed after warranty ended. I explained what I had done to verify the issue. Their response was the following:

With regards to the model you're contacting us about it, it would seem that the warranty for an RS2416RP+ with serial number XXXXXX expired in January 2021 based upon its manufacturing date.

[...]

However, it would seem that the device has had hardware modifications applied to it without permission or instruction by Synology based upon the information you have supplied. Please note that any such action(s) would breach the terms and conditions of the warranty. Please refer to Section 3, sub-section 3.2 Exclusions here: https://www.synology.com/en-uk/company/legal/warranty

So pretty much they are telling me that the warranty is already ended (and as such they will not help me). But in the second part they are telling me that even verifying the issue by known means would further void any warranty. I suspect they mean that even if I am right that they shipped me a faulty appliance, the mere fact that I validated that this was the issue voided any chances I would have of a post-warranty RMA. It beats me how I could otherwise verify that this is the manufacturing error.

More users of Synology in the same boat:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/120548

Really shitty, Synology. Now you have a bunch of users which you have sold a ton of appliances to with a death date set. A "repair" i.e. motherboard replacement for hardware this old is not worth the money. Forcing your users to purchase new hardware.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224239543597

Lets talk about how manufacturers screw over customers 🙂

Also Linus, if you are reading this: BIOS has not been a thing for a very long time. Now computers run firmware or UEFI. Kindly stop referring it to BIOSes. You know better and should not promote the incorrect use! 😉 This is a habit you kling on to in a lot of videos!

I love the information ya'll present, but have a suggestion.  Have you thought about starting a set of videos on the whole Microsoft 365 ecosystem

So this would probably be a multi video project. But I had the idea a while ago of taking the panel from a laptop and then cutting a hole in the top of a desk so that the screen is flush with the rest of the desk. It wouldn't be as a main monitor but more as a second monitor for referencing work sheets or something  

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I think you guys should do a "2000s computing" video featuring the highlights (and lowlights?) of building your computers. Some things to put in the spotlight might be Windows 7, Intel Core processors, bringing back the old dual-socket Intel motherboard (is that still there?), and maybe something from the prebuilt side (get some kind of crappy Dell or HP.)

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Need some old hardware for a build? I can get it for you! I have some old parts from a Dell and an Acer and another Dell that still work, almost as good as new.

Processors: 

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (2.3GHz, 1333MHz Front Side Bus)

Intel Core 2 Duo ? (around 1.8GHz) (attempted delidding, but failed, so minor scratches on PCB)

Intel Core Solo ? (around ? GHz) (die exposed, laptop chip)

RAM:

6GB total 4 sticks dual-channel DDR2 800MHz

Motherboards:

Dell Custom Micro ATX Motherboard (LGA775, 1x PCI, 2x PCIe 1x, 1x PCIe 16x, 4 RAM slot, 4 SATA2, 24 pin AT and 4 pin CPU)

GPUs: ATi Radeon HD 3450 456 MB (DisplayPort OK, DVI OK, HDMI disabled) 

Power supplies: Headway 500 Watt PSU (maybe broken)

There's a lot of talk about ASUS's ROG brand, but not much about their alternate The Ultimate Force (TUF) brand. TUF used to be a more ruggedized gaming brand (hence the acronym) compared to ROG but nowadays has been relegated to their mid-range brand versus ROG's absolute high-end. That said, it looks like there's still some really nice stuff in the TUF lineup that actually look like really comprehensive packages with better bang for the buck than ROG at times, and there's this one monitor in particular that seems to be a great budget all-rounder according to RTINGS: the VG279QM. It's a 27" 1080p280 display, with excellent response times for an IPS panel, 10-bit color, excellent color accuracy (post-calibration), a compact and highly-functional stand, and good if not cutting-edge connectivity, with its only real drawbacks being only a good color gamut (97% sRGB, 75% Adobe) and mediocre HDR performance - all for around $400, which is crazy for all that functionality.

I'd love to see that showcased among a more midrange monitor roundup to compare between, and perhaps more TUF equipment shown off in general for the more budget-minded of us, rather than most ASUS coverage just being ROG gear (especially since ROG stuff is always rather gaudy in my opinion, whereas TUF stuff has a rugged, semi-"gamer-y" style but more tasteful overall).

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

A collab with  Ryan George showing story 'pitch meetings' for tech youtubers.

It would be super easy...

So i picked up a pallet of various desktops and laptops which had various other parts including a core 2 quad q6600.  Thought maybe Linus would want to do a video on it.  It still works I'd be more than happy to send it to you guys don't know how to contact you other than here though.

20210605_031751.jpg

3 minutes ago, itsmesry said:

So i picked up a pallet of various desktops and laptops which had various other parts including a core 2 quad q6600.  Thought maybe Linus would want to do a video on it.  It still works I'd be more than happy to send it to you guys don't know how to contact you other than here though.

Merged with the LTT video suggestions thread.

The Q6600 is a pretty common CPU, they were extremely popular in their day so there's still a lot of them floating around, can easily pick them up on ebay for around $5-$10. While a thoughtful offer, it would probably just be easier for them to grab one locally - assuming they don't already have some old Core 2 Quad CPUs in their warehouse.

What sort of video did you have in mind for them doing on the Q6600? What sort of project would you like to see done with it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I just came across the video "Best Laptops for Students.. and anyone on a budget" I think it would be a good idea to refresh this once.

Since 2018, there have been many innovations on the market and the video is well received for this time. Also the new school year starts soon and corona will likely make schools even more digital than before. Another good aspect that was not yet relevant in the old video, is for whom a laptop is still worthwhile with the performance of the current tablets/ipads.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Merged with the LTT video suggestions thread.

The Q6600 is a pretty common CPU, they were extremely popular in their day so there's still a lot of them floating around, can easily pick them up on ebay for around $5-$10. While a thoughtful offer, it would probably just be easier for them to grab one locally - assuming they don't already have some old Core 2 Quad CPUs in their warehouse.

What sort of video did you have in mind for them doing on the Q6600? What sort of project would you like to see done with it?

I honestly didn't have anything specific in mind.  I'm just a huge fan out the media group and everyone that works.  To be honest i lost the ability to walk randomly two years ago.  Woke up one morning and my legs didn't work.  After almost a year in the hospital and a few months in a physical rehab learning how to walk again i had to change career paths.  So I'm working on building up a computer repair business from home so i've been buying bulk broken computer equipment to repair for resale and i came across that processor.  I remembered it was one of the first quad cores and i know you guys are interested in stuff that has some kind of signifcance like that.  My birthdays coming up on June the 15th and I've had a rough few years i just thought it would be cool to have something i donated help you guys make a video or something.  Just thought it would be cool to see something i contributed give you guys some enjoyment and something to do honestly.  By the way this wasn't a guilt trip to get you to do a video about it lol.  That really is just the truth.  Thank you for getting back to me have a good day.

Given that MSRP for graphics cards is completely out of touch with the reality, would you consider making a video on "best bang for the buck" graphics cards, but based on theor actual price? By actual, I mean either an average price on Ebay, or, possibly, a price on Amazon/Newegg, but ONLY under the condition that they are in stock. What would be the best option right now? Polaris? Some lower-tier Pascal cards? Maybe something even older than that?

I have no idea where to post this, so I just posted it here.

I have a video idea. I know you haven't done this one. 

Building a PC from either Alibaba, Taobao, or Jingdong 

(XD)

I may still have a laptop, but I'd say I know a good amount about PC stuff.

Hey guys, I was just thinking it would be cool to see if you could water cool a pc using a cooling immersion circulator like they use in medical labs. Some of them have cooling power of up to 900w. Could be interesting. Here is an example:https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/life-science/lab-equipment/water-baths-circulators-chillers/bath-circulators/refrigerated-circulators.html?open=90#90

How about doing some benchmarks on how much PCs slow down when their hard drive is full?
100% full (uggh) 95%... 90%... 85%....
Common wisdom is that your systems will slow down, but I have never seen any data collected.

While you are at it - You could demonstrate some tips on clearing disk space, starting with Disk Cleanup and moving on to using programs like TreeSize to find that trove of videos you forgot about.

I'd love to see a round table discussion with Linus and some of the other channels, Steve @ GN, Jay @ JTC etc. Subjects could include the state of the industry, silicon shortages, recent news etc. 

It'd be really interesting to compare opinions, for example Linus and Steve have very different opinions on the 3080Ti. Love to see them chat about about it face to face.

GPU Software functionality comparison:
are you required to log in to access features?
Radeon Chill?
FidelityFX CAS?
overclocking?
ShadowPlay?
ReLive?
and so on

quick lineup of the multitude of options and what they do, how well do they do it, what cards support it, some might be too much for a quick glance in such vid, but honestly, I need this. Some of those are really cool on both sides and there's no time to include this in a GPU review. Many users probably don't know they can do lots of cool things thanks to the GPU manufacturers.

Watching the transpartent TV episode got me thinking about a new futuristic product: The Cube Monitor. The idea is that you put not 1 transpartent display on your desk (or I expect you'd have to go to a table at this point) but multiple transparent displays closely behind each other creating a 3D array of pixels. I guess you can see where I'm going with this. Would it be feasible to make some sort of 3D mapping off lets say a 32x32x32 inch set of displays and create a really cool 3D viewing box? I guess the biggest issue would be to compensate for the diminishing returns of visibility by the imperfect transparency of the glass and cirquitry, and of course the 3D viewing angles would be limited, but still. This would only be the first iteration, the next step would be for the manufacturer to make an actual cube of pixels (or dare I say sphere? :P) embedded in a very clear carier, with the cirquitry at the bottom of the unit.

Last step would be to buy a scaled replica of R2D2 and place it closely to this setup playing the scene: Help me obiwan kenobi, you're our only hope 😛

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

@Kilrah Cool tech but is a while since they did a video on it, I do wonder if they could make a refresh episode covering old tech they have made an video on and getting up to speed were they are now. Both in the tech world and consumer space.