Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Right, new user here. Sorry for not reading all 56 (!!) pages of suggestions, so you may find some duplicates. If you find any errors in grammar or otherwise you're gracefully allowed to keep them ?

So, a few suggestions for builds and topics for the LMG channels:

1. Last week I saw the New years day video with Yvonne and Linus arguing about fast access vs 'being green' on the Sebastian household NAS. How about a separate NAS based on regular SSD's. Simply obtain a fan-less (i.e. external power brick) media-PC enclosure (with unobscured full 5.25" optical drive bay), a fan-less Mini-ITX board, suitable memory to max-out said board, a 4x 2.5" bay to 5.25" adapter cage, 4x 1 or 2TB SSD* and a micro-SD card+USB reader. Assemble hardware as per usual, choose your fav Linux distro, install said distro on the micro-SD card, make sure it has the mdadm, Samba, SSH-server and Webmin packages installed, enable Webmin to start on boot and use it to build a 2 or 4TB RAID5 with hot-spare. Write and enable a cron script that sync's the fan-less NAS with the family NAS twice a day via SSH and Yvonne has her fast-access via the Samba tool while Linus can put the HDD drive heads in park for most of the time ? *SSD's from different brands, to minimise the risk of several going down in short succession, thus endangering your data! Cost: probably under 1,000 USD
  2. It so happens I work in a thrift shop (of sorts) and am involved with PC-refurbishment (basically, I run the program, helped by one or 2 others). My manager gifted me an old (2008-ish, so long since out of warranty!) APC UPS, unfortunately with dead batteries. Well, not really dead as such, but in dire need of replacement. I can do that, that's fine, but this particular unit has a connector for an external battery pack. Having examined the original battery pack that came with this UPS, it's a 48V device, with 4 gell-based 12V, 7Amp batteries in series. That means the original APC external battery is also a 48V model. Perhaps Linus can figure out how to attach the most powerful external battery for the lowest price to such UPS. (hint: car batteries?!) Cost: well, how much do 4 (or 2x 24V truck versions) batteries with assorted stuff cost these days?
  3. After having worked in the semi-public sector for a long while I'm now in the process of making a career move into IT. Regrettably, I didn't have any qualifications to start with, so basically I was starting from scratch. I can imagine other folk trying to get a foothold on the IT career ladder, so perhaps have one or more episodes outlining the various career paths available in the very divers IT landscape would help at least some get a better idea on what's available. (personally, I already have 2 qualifications now, COMPTIA A+ and CDCP so I have the basics covered)

So, hopefully you guys will address one or more of my suggestions in some future video.

ad 1): if you use a server-grade mini-ITX board like the ASRock Rack J1900D2Y (which has 2x Gb-LAN and a Dedicated IPMI network port) it offers a DOM (disk on memory) port to take the micro-SD card reader, which is used as a ROM. Basically, the entire contents of the SD-card is read into RAM and the server runs from that. Very, very fast and as config files can't be changed on the disk, a reboot will restore the system to a known, secure state. No idea how well mini-ITX boards are available in Canada, but the guys at https://www.mini-itx.com might be able to help. They also have a neat range of small PSU's for these low-power mini-ITX boards. No affiliation, never purchased from them, all other usual disclaimers apply!

If you made it this far, thx for reading!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Here is a suggestion to the LTT staff:

Why don't you guys start making fast-paced builds for instagram, twitter and the rest where you just have a cam facing at the building (at the builder's hands performing everything) and then fast forward the whole thing so it fits in half a minute or sth and maybe put some audio track and done, you know...like the speedart, speedrun kind of videos. It'd be a cool trailer thing to put up before or when releasing a build video.

Have a great day! :)

In a video Linus said that he was going to make a MS-DOS gaming PC but it turns out he forgot it. Can you please make it, Linus?

3 minutes ago, TryHard_Dev said:

In a video Linus said that he was going to make a MS-DOS gaming PC but it turns out he forgot it. Can you please make it, Linus?

I believe I saw some other video on youtube doing this. Perhaps Linus decided not to do it because it's already been done.

Edit: I found it and it turns out it's actually from 2 years ago;

I would LOVE a video where @LinusTechgoes to FreeGeek or something (Dumpster-diving, flea-market, thrift-store), and just goes completely nostalgia on stuff and reminisce about how cool this or that doodad was when it came out, I love whenever Linus gets sidetracked, so why not fill a whole video with it? :D

If you collab with FreeGeek, Linus can also help raise awareness of how we can reduce waste, by reusing and recycling things? :) 

I've been watching LMG for many years, but as a Deaf viewer (and I know there are many others like myself who try to enjoy LMG content)...

I'd really love to see the LMG team pay for captioning on YouTube so I can better absorb all the content. A lot of the lingo, words, names, and such, do not really come out as clearly as it should through YouTube auto-CC. With precise captioning, I can really enjoy a show and whenever I see a channel with actual CC, I almost always sub. But I've subbed to LMG for a long time, relying on auto-CC and filling the gaps with my own knowledge.

It does not cost too much to pay other companies/teams to CC content for your videos, especially when your channel is a large one like LMG. Just saying - I would love to see accessibility some day. 

Some videos just do not have auto-CC to begin with, so I have to pass on these videos completely. 

Hi all!

Frame Rates Limiting/syncing ultimate guide:  What are the pros and cons of:

Triple buffer

Vsync (and how frame rate limiting is.. built into this?)... and all of the different forms e.g. nvidia Fast, Adaptive

Frame Rate Limiters (nvidia, in game, inspector...)

Low Latency Mode

Audiences (not just vsync is bad.... help us understand what to use when...)

When you have very high frame rates which of these really make a difference or just improve visuals

How to smooth out hitching/frame times

Which of these remove tearing and when the frame time sacrifice is negligible

When you have low frame rates and how vsync starts to really affect frame times

which of these can be used in conjunction with variable refresh rates like freesync/g-sync

We've seen monitor blurring, reaction times of high frame rates (both in delay to drawing the image but also in interpreting animation and motion) but I have not seen nor can find any videos discussing these settings at length with subjective and objective points.

I suppose cpu speed, network bufferbloat/buffering/packet coalescing/mouse sample rate & wireless lag/tv game mode but also receiver game mode all can affect twitch shooters too.  Do packet prioritizing software or WTFast make a difference?  RGB software uses 10% of my cpu when animating colors can this affect gameplay?

Thanks!

10 MILLION YouTube Play Button

Do do the following videos when you get the 10 Million Youtube play button

1, With all the Linus Tech Tips Staff

2, With Marcus Showing both the play buttons.

Testing the integrity of motherboard slots and large air coolers in terms of how much pressure can be applied before something actually breaks. I don't mean to break a motherboard just for giggles, but in terms of shipping a computer or some kind of accident. How much pressure could be exerted on components plugged into a motherboard without the components OR the motherboard breaking? Testing could include shock tests to simulate bad shipping with/without protections in place, or straight up applying pressure with weight measurements (probably going to need to do some torque calculations).

I've always wanted to see this tested as it's something that is always brought up when it comes to shipping high end systems with either bulky air coolers (D15, or 212 EVO) and generally when it comes to GPU's as well.

Field agent from the Ministry of Stop It. Now stop it!

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I'd like to see a video configuring a PC for number crunching; machine learning and the like.  Preferably one in which a GPU doesn't figure so heavily.

6 hours ago, Peedurrr said:

I'd like to see a video configuring a PC for number crunching; machine learning and the like.  Preferably one in which a GPU doesn't figure so heavily.

What kind of number crunching? For ML the GPU is typically the most appropriate processing element, so...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hey, how about a video comparing all laptops under 1500 dollars with at least a 1050 ti max-q or 1650 max-q?

They should mod the predator 21x for liquid cooling with blowies or liquid cool a laptop dedicated gpu.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, carb0nxl said:

I've been watching LMG for many years, but as a Deaf viewer (and I know there are many others like myself who try to enjoy LMG content)...

I'd really love to see the LMG team pay for captioning on YouTube so I can better absorb all the content. A lot of the lingo, words, names, and such, do not really come out as clearly as it should through YouTube auto-CC. With precise captioning, I can really enjoy a show and whenever I see a channel with actual CC, I almost always sub. But I've subbed to LMG for a long time, relying on auto-CC and filling the gaps with my own knowledge.

It does not cost too much to pay other companies/teams to CC content for your videos, especially when your channel is a large one like LMG. Just saying - I would love to see accessibility some day. 

Some videos just do not have auto-CC to begin with, so I have to pass on these videos completely. 

Being someone who works with closed captioning regularly this is something that can be done very easily in an Adobe Premiere workflow as Digital Anarchy has a plug in and CC that then uses IBM's Watson recognition.  this is the plugin for LMG staff.   and no im not a rep for digital Anarchy CC Encoding is part of my day job.

1 hour ago, Thanatopsis said:

Being someone who works with closed captioning regularly this is something that can be done very easily in an Adobe Premiere workflow as Digital Anarchy has a plug in and CC that then uses IBM's Watson recognition.  this is the plugin for LMG staff.   and no im not a rep for digital Anarchy CC Encoding is part of my day job.

I thought I had seen/read something about the possibility of taking what is already “auto captioned” then simply cleaning up text (is that even a thing on YouTube studio?) 

but this sound far cooler and could, in fact, even be a topic itself for LMG to discuss in a video! I’m deaf and I do some film editing and yet I’ve never heard of using Watson in collaboration with captioning, that is so cool. 

5 minutes ago, carb0nxl said:

I thought I had seen/read something about the possibility of taking what is already “auto captioned” then simply cleaning up text (is that even a thing on YouTube studio?) 

but this sound far cooler and could, in fact, even be a topic itself for LMG to discuss in a video! I’m deaf and I do some film editing and yet I’ve never heard of using Watson in collaboration with captioning, that is so cool. 

The problem with cleaning it up in YouTube studio is that it has to be online already and then it will stillbtake someone double too triple the program length to fix it where the digital anarchy solution is faster. I have not had the budget to try it out but all the reviews and demos make it seem like its a good option for production companoes that can't spend an extra day waiting for some one like Rev.com to make a caption file.

A couple of side benifits for accurate Closed Captions is that they are used by screen reading software to help people with visual issues and while maybe not usefull on youtube but may be usefull on float plane is that CC in srt or other plain text formats can help with search engine optimization and other search functions.

As someone in a professional environment that is trying to move towards a more digital age. I would enjoy seeing of how LMG has optimized their workflow. Like the Monday sponsor spot. I find seeing examples of real world use cases is more valuable to me than a list of what the software can do.

Whether if its Alex in the workshop or Nick with management details. I would be interesting in learning more about your work process.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Linus should takes some old heatsinks and fans and make a drink chiller/coaster I did it and it is so convenient.  But being ltt has better stuff than I do.  So they could make a sub zero one,   

Edited by Matthew J Johnson
Grammer

this could really be a techquickie and a ltt video but free and paid video editing software roundup. big ltt video will you roundup, test, and rate all the video editing software in the free and category and another paid software roundup. really two separate types of people looking at these, the general public who want to do basic stuff or low budget youtube or whatever. and the people who do this for a living like you do and want to know whats the best and how green is that grass on the other side? also de mystifying usage rights and free versus paid versions of things like davainci or pixars renderman. if i understand correctly you can not do anything commercial on renderman with free version and the paid version of davinci is really not a value add to most users. 

just adobe vs apple is really not something most users have the budget for unless they are making decent money off it.

could also do a tech quickie roundup which is more "here is a list of free and paid software with a quick list of features and pricing and useage rights click here to see the full video" type thing. 

in this day and age how many companys want to make video adds for facebook and youtube? how many people want to up their youtube game or twitch or whatever and become professionals.

also hire maddison. 

do a month, like febuary for pepole to be able to compete for their dream system, and like wat asus does you can pick 3 winners, i will definitely be the first to submit, and submissions will be on the fourm only.

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 15 inch review? I would really like your opinion.

41 minutes ago, Catan1998 said:

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 15 inch review? I would really like your opinion.

my opinon is its screen is very flippin fragile, and it isnt the latest anymore. (oops that was for the pro 3 connvertible)

Edited by Lttisthebest
not for the right version that was asked about