Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
42 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

More like they can't even attempt it until the next gen is out since no current card has the required HDMI2.1.

I disagree. 

1- The point is to create a 16k resolution and recreate, in a better way, what was accomplished in the past.

2- They didn't care the bezles in the middle that were already a thing on the old version of their 16k setup.

3- It is impossible too accomplish without 6 GPU, so I doubt it's really possible at all.

4- If it is possible: It expensive, complicated and probably not efficient. While the hole point is too make that setup easier.

Anyone suggested the Pimax Vision 8K X VR headset for review? I know they did the non X model at CES 2019 and i remember linus saying focusing on refresh rates before higher resolution but this was lets you toggle in between so would be cool to see a review on this one.

https://store.pimaxvr.com/shop/product/pimax-vision-8k-x-384

Or there's the artisan model too.

https://store.pimaxvr.com/shop/product/pimax-artisan-927

Budget VR setup consists of a cheap WMR vr headset like the lenovo or acer one. And also using xbox one kinect with kinecttovr or driver4vr for full body tracking. Test it out in games that support body tracking. Total cost should be around $200-250 vs $500+ for a full vive setup.

1 hour ago, hokutohenry said:

Budget VR setup consists of a cheap WMR vr headset like the lenovo or acer one. And also using xbox one kinect with kinecttovr or driver4vr for full body tracking. Test it out in games that support body tracking. Total cost should be around $200-250 vs $500+ for a full vive setup.

Merged to official video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hello, 

I would like to suggest a continuation to the 240HZ to 144HZ to 60HZ video with a similar set of people (pro players) to test another kind of interesting tech thing, which is audio device quality.

Professional gamers, as far as I've been able to tell, are very good at pointing their crosshair to exactly the point in space where the audio is coming from, and I'm thinking of a video where a test setup is made to test this with the top of the line and bottom of the line audio devices including headphones and earbuds. 

What you would do to test this is again make a CS custom map, which has the player sit in a stationary position in game and where the view around them is obscured with a sphere. They are able to rotate the viewport, but the sphere stops them from seeing enemy positions. After a certain time, they have to point their crosshair to where they assume the enemy is and left click based on enemy sounds alone - at the moment of the click the distance of the crosshair from the enemy position is used to measure audio device quality. There are many many aspects that could be measured in this interaction: 

- Time it takes players to react to audio of any kind

- Difference between popular games in audio location quality (CSGO, Overwatch, PUBG, something else)

- Distance to first audible footstep, depends on the device or player?

- Difference between pro players and the average joe in ability to tell enemy positions

- How many enemy positions can the player differentiate between (Most importantly, does game sense largely stem from a superior ability to discern between a huge amount of sounds coming at the same time?)

- Using known maps to test if people can guess where enemies are running at any given time

Shroud has been on record saying, that he is capable of hearing a certain type of lightbulb in a room, which implies that there is more to this audio business than people give credit for.

For great science,

Lari

Out of curiosity, (and because I didn't see it anywhere already) has there ever been a video where the LTT team compare what they've built for their environment, vs what is available on the open market from companies like HPE, Dell, or Lenovo?

For instance, the most recent video about the super fast server. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWjOh0Ph8uM)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find it interesting to find out how a solution like an all-flash Nimble HF40 with a couple DL360's in a dHCI configuration would perform in terms of performance and ease of setup. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the LTT team work on the (sometimes) ludicrously overbuilt pieces, but I'd like to know just how wide the gap (if there is one) and some of the more custom setups.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but I didn't find anything in a general search.

"Streamception!!!" Catchy over the top title for video. ;)

Setup Nvidia Geforce Now Game stream from a Steam library, but launch it via the Desktop Shortcut option in Steam, thus allowing you to Stream Geforce Now "in Home Streaming" via Steam.

So, first Cloud service: Geforce Now, running on PC 1: Steam in home streaming -> PC 2.

PC 2 has a "cloud/vpn streaming" service, such as Splashtop. This streams to PC 3 somewhere else, over the net (breaks out of the local network).

PC 3 (or phone!) receives this stream, then with OBS/Twitch/etc stream to Twitch/Youtube. Then, add that stream to your Youtube video, and extra points for putting up live gameplay on a livestream! :D

So, Stream Geforce Now, over Steam in house, while using a VPN/remote desktop to stream to a phone, that streams live gameplay to Twitch, that you show streaming on Youtube to viewers... if that ain't enough streaming... then all I can think of is... 

Secretly running PC1 as a VM remotely and not telling anyone till the end of the video/stream... "Plot twist, it was not even running locally in the studio!!!"

Static Electricity - Do we actual need to be worried when building a PC?

You can almost guarantee that in the comments of every video where someone is building a PC or handling components there will be a comment about why are they no wearing an anti-static wrist strap. I have worked in the PC industry for 30+ years and never used one, and never blown anything from static. So how about a real world test to see if you can actual blow components with static whilst building a PC?

4 test building the same PC, professional setup on a workbench anti-static mats and straps, average home build in a normal home no anti-static, high risk (low humidity, metal table, nylon carpet and made made clothing) and add hook someone up to a static generator.    

This Xiaomi Laser 4k ultra short throw projector only cost 2000 bucks? This seems too good to be true! Can you review this Linus?

https://www.mi.com/us/mi-laser-projector-150

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Laser-Ultra-Short-Throw-Projector-150-inch-Built-In-Android-TV-Google-Assistant-Dolby-Stereo-Speakers/287067763

Some Scrapyard Wars ideas for 2020+: 

1) SW at LTX! Gamers bring their junk hardware for LTT to scrounge from

2) Living with Scrap! Budget rigs built in the SW tradition, but then gifted to someone to live with for a year

3) Subzero or sub-ambient Scrap!

4) SW Super Custom PC's using the LTT Workshop and Alex's skillz contestants compete to fabricate the most unique PC's possible

5) Scrap through the Generations! Normal SW style builds, but restricted to certain years or gens of hardware of yore.

6) SW Pimp my PC edition!  Help upgrade a viewer's PC with the best bang for the buck components available.

Now that Alex and Linus have a cooler work shop, I'd love to see them try to build something like:

• the Nude CNC water block, but for something crazy like a 3950x, Threadripper, or even EPYC!!!
  • A 3M Novec phase change setup
  • A custom made vapor chamber
  • With their extensive heat pipe experience, a passively cooled PC Case

The budget 4k monitor video you did awhile back still stands out to me. Maybe you could do an updated one, but with multiple resolutions. 1080p and 1440p are still popular.

I'd also be incredibly interested in a SFF budget gaming PC. All the ones I see on YouTube are high end stuff, but that feels less practical. It seems like nobody is making use of low power consumption parts to make a small, quiet build.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

would love see more video effects 1 videos,where all used hardware is pushed into its limits.

Joined the forum to put forward what I'd like to think is an awesome idea

Scrapyard Wars 9 - Draft style

Compile six (or however many) PC setups worth of stuff. So just like series 8 everything, PC components, monitor, keyboard, etc. The items would vary in quality from high end, mid range, and entry level. All items would be used and perhaps have some hidden issues that aren't apparent on first sight. A high end GPU with a broken fan or a lapped CPU that's actually entry level. Obviously whoever compiles the items would not participate but be the commissioner of sorts, maybe Anthony? Hold a competition with standardized hardware like the beginning of series 8 to determine a draft order. Proceed to select your PC parts with the draft order snaking/reversing after each round. So whoever picked last in the first round then picks 1st in the second round and so on. Each contestant then has to build their rig and set up without assistance. For that real Scrapyard Wars feel they would also get $50-$100 to purchase anything else the need. A new mouse cause the one drafted is sort of busted or even flip a component and add the funds for an upgrade. They could potentially also make trades with their parts or funds as well. Finally you compete to crown the champion of Scrapyard Wars 9.

A couple of LMG staff members parents have to  build  a PC but their children can only help them over the phone, can't see them or what they're doing. Hilarity ensues!

Build a proper rave inside a PC. Lasers, fog, so fourth. 

Maybe even some speakers. 

Make the GPU backplate the dance floor. 

black magic pocket 6k or 4k.

I miss the camera videos

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hi! So I work on our cars and my boyfriend builds computers. He was talking about water cooling. It got me curious. Blue devil makes a coolant stop leak that is pure liquid until it squeezes through a leak, and then it turns into a plastic like material. I started to wonder if it could be used in a water cooled system, and if that could potentially save parts from being fried if a leak occurs. Many stop leak products have metal flakes so I don’t imagine trying that would be a good idea, but this one in particular might make a cool video. It could be fun. ??‍♀️

63C84F29-FBBA-4293-ABCD-B5A988D4582A.png

13 minutes ago, omengoddess said:

Hi! So I work on our cars and my boyfriend builds computers. He was talking about water cooling. It got me curious. Blue devil makes a coolant stop leak that is pure liquid until it squeezes through a leak, and then it turns into a plastic like material. I started to wonder if it could be used in a water cooled system, and if that could potentially save parts from being fried if a leak occurs. Many stop leak products have metal flakes so I don’t imagine trying that would be a good idea, but this one in particular might make a cool video. It could be fun. ??‍♀️

63C84F29-FBBA-4293-ABCD-B5A988D4582A.png

It's not plastic, it's a silicate solution and relies on high heat to make what's basically glass. It'll leave behind sludge in a car cooling system and might in a PC too. Surely will never get hot enough to seal any leaks.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, Harvs said:

A Zero to Hero PC where you specifically design a gaming PC with an obvious upgrade path. Starting off as a cheap build with an AMD APU like the 2400G and a single stick of RAM. And then explain what you would spend each paycheck on to make it into a great build. Would be a good way to teach the highest yield components etc. 

And very practical advice for someone who is new to PC gaming. 

A variant on this idea I'd like to see is what platform and upgrade from years past turned out to be the longest lived with good performance. Call it, "Hindsight 2020"!

On 12/18/2019 at 1:38 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@AlexTheGreatish Would you be interested in making a whole PC case out of this stuff? 

Image result for meccano 1940's

I'd love to see this or a Lego Case build or K'Nex or even erector set!

Hey guys,

new to the forum, just registered because I wanted to pitch a video idea to you guys.

Topic:

Tech Patents

Short description:

A video (or maybe multi part series) about patents in the tech industry.

Full description:

My main interest is: What are major patents used by one brand, that separates it quality-wise from the rest, that are unknown to the majority of the consumers? 

For example: I recently found out, that AH-IPS displays are all LG panels, because it's their invention, and Samsung just can't compete in that niche. 

Or Apples Macbook unibody patents, that keeps others like Lenovo, Dell, etc. from achieving the sturdy build quality of a macbook (as we recently saw in the "Stop buying the Macbook Air" video). 

Are there any major patents in the pc parts world, that just work better than the rest? Fans? Heatsink designs? Water cooling blocks, radiators, AIOs? etc. 

Also you could cover patents, that just got released (or will be released soon-ish) because they reached their 14y or 20y age limit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_patent), so now everybody can use them?

What does that mean for the market?

Where do we no longer need to pay premium for a specific brand?

What price drops can we expect?

I'm sure you get the gist, would like to hear your opinion on this.

Best

Ashrok