Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How to decorate a Christmas Tree/your house, PC RGB gamer style lol use Corsair's new LS100 lighting system in place of traditional christmas lights, phillips hue lights, etc and have your whole home or room sync with your PC. You could probably take this way further with using projectors in place of a traditional christmas tree, have the tree be your PC, etc. 

How many network switches does it take to reduce speed and/or interfere with transmission quality or possibly corrupting data.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

1 hour ago, dual290x said:

How many network switches does it take to reduce speed and/or interfere with transmission quality or possibly corrupting data.

I can answer this right away... practically an infinite...

Ethernet is designed with isolation, each port on the switch and on devices is isolated from the cable so each time you move to another switch, previous switch will take the digital data and produce the signal for that again.

Ethernet is also capable of up to 100m between ports so you could have 8 switches and 1000 meters of cable and the quality of the signal at the end will be as high as the quality of the signal as it comes into the first switch.

No corruption of data if the cable lengths are respected. If not or cable is damaged, or not the right rating (ex using cat5e for 10gbps) you will get packet loss, which means packets can't be decoded at other end, which means device at the end asks for those packets to be sent again and you get slower speed this way

You will get 1 gbps or 10gbps or whatever speed the network switches are capable

What you will get is some delay (latency) the more switches you add, but it's very small. It takes a few nanoseconds to take data packets from one network port of the switch and put them on another port to send them to another switch or device.

You may also experience a bit slower ramp-up to high speed - you know, when you start to download or upload a file from/to a site, you see often transfer start slow and speed up within a few seconds to maximum your connection can handle.. with multiple switches the amount of time to ramp up may be a bit higher.... but basically almost not noticeable

Hey,

I re-watched the Pixel 3 Killer video recently after looking at a review of the Xiaomi Mi 9T or Redmi K20 and I was wondering if a newer video could be made looking at installing LineageOS 17 on the Xiaomi Mi 9T and Google Camera with Lawnchair V2. I've seen videos that show an overclocked display bringing the refresh rate up to ~80Hz too. I was wondering if that would be a good video idea. On a completely unrelated note, how would one install LineageOS 17 on the Xiaomi Mi 9T, the instructions should be in English please, safely?

Considering how much process varies between devices and how manufacturers release different SoC devices under same model name (looking at you Samsung) this is not a great idea. Plus there are like a million videos out there, a video done by linus wouldnt be anything special imo. XDA should be where you go for tutorials and roms, not youtube.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Considering how much process varies between devices and how manufacturers release different SoC devices under same model name (looking at you Samsung) this is not a great idea. Plus there are like a million videos out there, a video done by linus wouldnt be anything special imo. XDA should be where you go for tutorials and roms, not youtube.

Fair and true, I was just on Discord talking to someone about it and I can get the lineageos 16 version but I'm wondering, how bad is MIUI and is there any other way to make it feel like stock android?

Just now, CKerr said:

Fair and true, I was just on Discord talking to someone about it and I can get the lineageos 16 version but I'm wondering, how bad is MIUI and is there any other way to make it feel like stock android?

MIUI is nowadays pretty good, however I still find it extremely full of bloatware and full of features I never use. Also no, MIUI is pretty heavily modified and usually crashes when you root it and install magisk modules that changes UI. Get a Android One device if you really want AOSP on budget, or OP device.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

I can answer this right away... practically an infinite...

Thanks... for ruining it for me. (Ribbing you)

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

Do 150$ (USD) high/ultra 1080p PC!!
Saw some Xeon 1220 for 15$ recently and you can get new old stock RX 470 for like 70$ nowadays, although the CPU is gonna be a bottleneck in some places, it's still best price to performance you can get period! 150$ should be enough to build such PC when getting new old stock RX 470, new SSD, new or used PSU and all the rest used parts. Would be nice to compare it with consoles as the price is kinda like xbox one but the performance should be more like xbox one x! :D Total console killer on the budget :D

PS: Prices may be different in Canada, I'm basing it on the prices we have in Europe

After watching Linus's video about the three Abyss headphones I had an idea.

How about a video about all audio formats, and their advantages. 

Do like Vinyl vs CD vs digital uncompressed audio vs gigital compressed vs streaming at different bit rate.

I'm not the biggest audiophile, but I do enjoy my vinyl records and my tech videos, so this would take the cake for me.

Keep up the great videos.

If for some reason have a shit old car or bike sitting around, how about OCing the ECU to raise the rev limit. I think usually it's a case of swapping the crystal oscillator to one slightly faster, not too much or the engine map will be too busted.

Hello!

I've always wanted to suggest this video idea

I produce music and I've always wanted to build a pc that'll be able to manage loads of Vsts with a lot of voices.

My projects tend to consist on 100+ instruments and audio tracks

The programs that I use are Ableton & Cubase but I could see how many people that use different programs could benefit from a video.

that's all!

I'd like to know your opinions or if anyone could give like feedback on how to build a badass music production pc!

2 hours ago, Official_PURO said:

Hello!

Merged to official video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

https://cottageder.com/products/the-collapsable-triple-screen-laptop-workstation-1 looks very cool but I want to see a review 

An as fast as possible video answering this question: Are there any real benefits to obsessively trying to manage my RAM and CPU usage?

I have a decent enough computer that does everything I need it to 99% of the time (16gb ram, gtx1060, ryzen 5). yet whenever I open task manager I feel the need to research why all the different programs are consuming resources. I don't need answers to these specific questions but these are what I ask myself.

• why is Chrome is using 20% of the memory? 
  • Is having anti-virus software worth the 5-15% resources it consumes and should I try and optimize it?
  • should I stress about unnecessary background apps using resources (razor, oculus, nvidia share)? 
  • how important are all those my razor installed when I set up my keyboard. 

Is the conclusion to just let windows manage the memory usage until I notice there is a problem? that works for me, but what about people who can't afford to upgrade the memory to match their needs.

a related side note: My dad and mom have the same computer with one difference. she has a graphics card and he uses the motherboard's graphics. when streaming a video she has higher RAM usage than he would for the same task, he thinks this is a sign that something is wrong. is that just the way things work? 

This video starts to answer the question but I would love more.

Not a specific video suggestion but I think it's odd such a gaming-centric tech channel never tests input lag on displays beyond "feels fine".  Linus & co should start using the Input Lag Databse (https://displaylag.com/display-database/) to report on input lag numbers. If the display being reviewed isn't on the site they should use their methodology to report on it.https://displaylag.com/testing-method/

Here's a specific video suggestion though: Input Lag Testing Every TV and Monitor We Own!

I would love to see a review of ether the laptop setup or the full blown F.R.E.D. workstation vs a custom setup. What would you use for data intelligence?

Fred Viper.png

Anthony video about the best way to remotely access VM's running off a networked PC 

Entertainment PC ~ 9900k - 32gb Ripjaws V CL16 - Aorus Pro Wifi - DRP4 - 240GB Intel SSD - 6TB Conventional HD's - Corsair RM850x - Fractal Mesify C in White - EVGA GTX 980Ti SC

Displays ~ Lenovo g34w-10 (Main) - BenQ XL2540 (Gaming) - 32" Acer ET322QR (For Laptop) - BenQ XL2411 (Backup / In storage) - Vivo STAND-V001JB & STAND-V001T

Peripherals ~ Corsair K68 RGB MX Red - BFO9000 (in progress) - Logitech G900 - Blue Snowball - Bose QC 35 II

Laptop ~ Asus a17 4800H / 16GB / 1TB NVME / 1660Ti / 120hz w/

Second PC ~ i5 8400 / 16GB Ripjaws V CL18 / MSI z370 A-Pro 

Productivity Other ~ Macbook Air 2015 model - Macbook Pro 17" (2011) - iPad Pro 2015 Model w/ Pencil w/ Otterbox Hardcase - Toshiba Satellite S50-D 

Networking ~ Fk off

Bio - Literal Retarded Autist

I think Linus and Anthony could have a really fun time building a PC that *looks* exactly like a PC from the year 2000, but with new hardware, or the alternative goal could be building what gamers in 2000 might *envision* a PC in 2020 could look like. It could be a fun nostalgia trip for them, and might be surprising for a lot of their audience how aesthetics and features have changed. 

The parts are out there to make this happen:

Spoiler

Motherboard: SuperMicro makes Green PCB 9th series intel motherboards. I don't know whether you can overclock on C246 but possibly you can?

-It looks like it could physically support SLI, but if it doesn't have software support, they could just use DirectX12

-It has a PCI slot!!!. It doesn't get much more retro than that, I am sure there is something you could put in there that is mildly useful

-Obviously use bare PCB Green or Blue Ram to go with it

-CPU Coolers have a lot of variety so hard to pick what would be the best there.

image.png.d288ca7bf4f7268547fcd39c893d0d69.png

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboards/workstation-boards

Sound Card:

EVGA has just come out with their Nu Audio Pro Audio Card System which has not one but TWO physical cards per computer  connected by an internal cable. This enables the card to put out 7.1 surround sound and a double sound card could not have more 2000 gamer street cred. 

image.png.76200aa61e36415d6783921ca6bde30a.png

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=712-P1-AN21-KR

GPU

If there's one thing that separates modern and old GPUs, it's the fairly low tech coolers that were de riguer back in the day. Which modern cards since the 20RTX series have begun to completely eschew. There are still a few holdouts though. PNY and a couple other vendors make Blower RTX cards. The 5700 series AMD reference cards are somehow *still* blowers, and while they lack true Crossfire support, they can still work under DirectX12's multiGPU mode.

image.thumb.png.32a9c776fbc10964d1215789fd7e4229.pngimage.thumb.png.f3a1548b3581931df4784da2fad70b5a.png

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-2080-Blower-Graphics/dp/B07GJ5S6RY

Case

This one is harder, because I don't know if Linus would prefer a retro looking modern case or just using an ATX case from the year 2000, either way could work. A couple likely baseline requirements:

-LOTS of 5.25 inch drive bays/drives, have to make the ultimate early 2000s dual disc drive status (heck why stop at two?)

-3.5 inch drive: Because in the year 2000 the floppy drive was still very much alive, so I feel like this build deserves one

-cathode tube lighting, because RGB wasn't a thing yet. 

-One of those double size Fan controllers that takes up two 5.25 inch bays and has all the crazy flashing lights and fan status updates

-Something like the Zalman Z11 could work great this. 

image.thumb.png.3dd94f33ca8e99474702dd59c103a605.png

Possible Accoutrements

-It might be funny to have 3 disc drives, DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD or if this is in earnest, dual blu ray drives.

-Cathode tube lighting (with UV for extra hotness)

-PCI card to run the disc drives and floppy drives off IDE, because SATA was just a twinkle in some nerd's eye

Storage

-RAID 0 array of whatever the latest hard drives Linus can get to speak of for free, because there was no SSDs to speak of back then

-OR a 3.5 inch NVME U.2 drive, because the 2.5 inch form factor didn't exist yet, but Micron makes a 3.5 inch SSD that could fit the bill.

https://www.micron.com/products/solid-state-drives/product-lines/9300

Radeon VII does not support crossfire. SuperMicro does make multiple X-chipset boards that are green/blue and support SLI though. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch