The Jankiest EXTREME Gaming Setup - Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade

CPotter
5 minutes ago, CPotter said:

80 seconds into the video and there's already a penis joke. yes

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

I'm curious about the legs they got for the custom desk? I am tried finding a similar one online, but don't know which manufacturer to trust.

1 hour ago, thebeansdaddy said:

anyone know what standing desk frame he is using?

1 hour ago, thk3695 said:

I'm curious about the legs they got for the custom desk? I am tried finding a similar one online, but don't know which manufacturer to trust.

In this shot at 8:03 I saw the manufacturer's name on the side of the desk legs:

image.thumb.png.a5077289948ec833762498695aa79306.png

"PrimeCables" is what it says.

EDIT: you can more easily see the brand name at 8:14:

image.png.97e8b268fecba73020805b3ccf98513c.png

Looks a lot like this desk leg assembly, except mirrored: https://www.primecables.ca/p-369396-cab-pc-07875-dual-leg-l-shape-height-adjustable-sit-and-stand-frame-electric-black-primecables

Do note, the two side of the desk legs seem to have larger portions of metal to hold the desk. In David's setup the larger portion of the L is on the left side, while the product photos on that website show the larger metal part on the right.

In the product photos later, I do see a desk top with the L on the left side, which suggests the metal parts are interchangeable. Don't quote me on that though, I am not sure.

In general, this is just what I think the desk legs are, but that's just what I found through casual observation.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just wanted to reply.

Yes it says PrimeCables and I also couldn't find the specific Model.

You can clearly see the 2 big black plates to support the top. Are they custom or an add-on? I am searching for years for a good solution with my own top but haven't found anything that really match my expectations. This might come close.

I'm 100% sure that the computers will never leave the floor now that he skipped the stand 😄

Seems kinda stupid to not just plug two 10gbps sfp+ network cards and make direct connection between the NAS and the computer with a DAC cable.  It's basically less than 100$.

Wasted money on that Intel cpu just to get 2.5 gbps ethernet working...  could have bought cheapest B450/b520 motherboard and an apu cpu and shove a 10g card in the pci-e x16 slot.

This was an incredibly frustrating build to watch, I felt Linus' pain. A lot of choices make absolutely no sense, it's really amazing.

1 hour ago, xnamkcor said:

"An i3 is good enough for a NAS.".

I would hope so. An ARM chip could competently power a NAS.

untill multi 4k trans codes.. then it has issues. but othe then that. yep.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Does anyone know David's twitch? Everything he built was for streaming but I couldn't find where to watch him.

55 minutes ago, Kangajacked said:

Does anyone know David's twitch? Everything he built was for streaming but I couldn't find where to watch him.

image.thumb.png.debb8a992fa41a183a5e34738f2c72f2.png

David's Twitch is tag is @s_rpr1z3 .. i do love his set up, if could afford it I would do similar with the OLED and other screens.

Couple questions re: the unRAID setup - 

My experience with unRAID and capture cards is that you need a Linux driver for unRAID to see and then pass through the device (tried it for an Elgato HD60 Pro). So I'm surprised you were looking to make that work, or that it worked at all.

That being said, could you have not stubbed the PCI card and used ACS Override in unRAID to break the IOMMU groups up a bit more? Or did that just not work and the USB capture card was the solution?

15 hours ago, mariushm said:

Seems kinda stupid to not just plug two 10gbps sfp+ network cards and make direct connection between the NAS and the computer with a DAC cable.  It's basically less than 100$.

Wasted money on that Intel cpu just to get 2.5 gbps ethernet working...  could have bought cheapest B450/b520 motherboard and an apu cpu and shove a 10g card in the pci-e x16 slot.

He was already running out of full PCIE lanes on the NAS. He's only running a consumer CPU, that has at best 20 lanes available. 

22 hours ago, CPotter said:

David's face on the thumbnail is david pog and should be used in his stream

1 hour ago, Dellenn said:

He was already running out of full PCIE lanes on the NAS. He's only running a consumer CPU, that has at best 20 lanes available. 

Bull@#it .

The cpu may have 20 pci-e lanes, but the chipset also creates at least 4-6 pci-e lanes.

You can shove a 10g card in a pci-e 3.0 x1 slot and it will work. Ideally it should go in a x2 or x4 slot though. 

You won't get 1250 MB/s (which is 10gbps) but you'll still get up to around 920-950 MB/s  ... which is still more than 3 times the 2.5g ethernet speeds.

You can get 10g sfp+ cards with 2 sfp+ ports on pci-e 3.0 x4 ... basic math, 2 x 1250 MB/s = 2500 MB/s which is less than 4 x 970 MB/s the pci-e bandwidth, so it works.

Would be fine even for hdmi capture cards...

The card can sit in the bottom pci-e x16 or pci-e x8 which is electrically pci-e x4 (or x2 or x1 depending on motherboard)

4K 8bit RGB24 60 Hz uncompressed is 3840x 2188 x 3 bytes per pixel x 60 fps  = 1,492,992,000 bytes/s = 1492 MB/s   ... that's less than pci-e 3.0 x2 (x4 recommended)

If you record in YV12 (as you stream that anyway) ... that's 6 bytes for each group of 4 pixels so instead of 12 bytes for 4 pixels you have 6 bytes ... so that brings you down to around 800 MB/s of uncompressed stuff.

Add overhead and you're looking at 850 MB/s ... still within the pci-e 3.0 x1 bandwidth.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Bull@#it .

The cpu may have 20 pci-e lanes, but the chipset also creates at least 4-6 pci-e lanes.

The card can sit in the bottom pci-e x16 or pci-e x8 which is electrically pci-e x4 (or x2 or x1 depending on motherboard)

4K 8bit RGB24 60 Hz uncompressed is 3840x 2188 x 3 bytes per pixel x 60 fps  = 1,492,992,000 bytes/s = 1492 MB/s   ... that's less than pci-e 3.0 x2 (x4 recommended)

If you record in YV12 (as you stream that anyway) ... that's 6 bytes for each group of 4 pixels so instead of 12 bytes for 4 pixels you have 6 bytes ... so that brings you down to around 800 MB/s of uncompressed stuff.

Add overhead and you're looking at 850 MB/s ... still within the pci-e 3.0 x1 bandwidth.

why add complexity? Both his gaming rig and NAS both have an integrated 2.5GBe

I find this series a bit sexist, why don't you include your female employees?

22 minutes ago, Dellenn said:

why add complexity? Both his gaming rig and NAS both have an integrated 2.5GBe

He spent more money on that particular motherboard and the intel i3 processor (well, video was sponsored by intel so they had to use this as excuse to buy it) just to get 2.5 gbps ethernet.

Let's see:

Asrock B460 Steel Legend is 120$ on Newegg.

Intel i3-10100 is ... no idea, probably $150 - there's 10400 for around 160$

AMD has 3200g for $170 but you can go with a 80$ motherboard like Gigabyte B450 Aorus M for example : https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b450-aorus-m/p/N82E16813145081R with 6 sata connectors and a m.2 nvme  and you'd have $40 in your budget to buy a 10g sfp+ network card :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-82599ES-Chip-X520-DA1-E10G41BTDA-10G-SFP-Ethernet-Server-Adapter/153110592016

put it in the bottom x16 slot and you have 10g network or 1250 MB/s, instead of 250 MB/s

Also if you don't need integrated graphics, because he planned to put a dedicated video card for hdmi capture... you can go for a used 1600af or a 2600 that's cheaper than $170

Oh ... and in the video they were saying about trendnet 5 / 8 port 2.5g ethernet switch coming ... too expensive at around 140$ for 5 port switch.

They can make direct connection between computers with a regular patch cable instead ...

Alphacool were for a while shipping the wrong screws with their rads. Not sure how they didn't QC this because the difference between metric and imperial thread IS noticeable, except these I believe were metric, but had the incorrect PITCH (thread spacing), so when you tried to screw it in it would seize. This was right about the same time they dropped supplying those nice gold foil stickers in the box and did their own blue label thing which I really didn't like because it was oriented upside down in my case. Sadly, that first hole in one of my radiators got mutilated, but nothing some thread locker or friction tape couldn't fix :old-wink:

After figuring out the bad screw problem a quick trip down to home depot got some proper black M4 hex cap bolts which went in without any issue. So much easier to work with too than fumbling with a philips screwdriver. I in fact ended up getting 5mm longer bolts to mount some of my fans that were on the side where the rad was in between the fan and the mounting panel.

Then I got to have the same fun a second time a year later when I needed yet 5mm longer bolts to mount my RGB fan frames, because you know, FUNKY LIGHT SHOW. My rig isn't exactly simple - it's got 5 rads, 30 fans, a cabling nightmare to keep tidy and barely any space to fit your hands in. Putting stuff together the first time? Doable with planning and patience. Taking stuff already put together apart and redoing it a second time? Now THAT was a mission.

Did David delid the PS3 or did he replace the NEC/TOKINs as well?

EDIT: Seems like his issue is that the power doesnt work period lol

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down