Does anyone apply thermal paste like that?

ArtyIF

Hello,

I am planning to replace my computer's thermal paste since I noticed that during building the CPU actually throttles instead of boosting (3.1 GHz instead of 3.5 GHz base). I decided to check the maintenance guide on my PC (Lenovo H5-55 whatever-model-it-is), and noticed this weird illustration. It suggests putting five drops of thermal grease on top of the processor.

I have NEVER seen anyone apply thermal paste like that. So I'm asking - did anyone ever do that? How does it compare to the typical methods like the pea or X-shape?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/554821844146978836/827822524800172032/unknown.png

P.S. sorry dark theme users

P.P.S. here's the link https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_h50_hmm_20140929.pdf, it's on page 41 and 42

Edited by ArtyIF
added link just in case

Doubtful as its not a common method. Most use do a pea sized dot in the center. I personally use the X method on CPUs to make sure I get edge to edge coverage. Not really worried about spill over since its non conductive. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Wouldn't you know it, a video covering a few methods!

Back in my early days I would apply it as a single blob, then spread it out with a credit-card like piece of material.

Eventually, I just put the single blob on and let the heatsink spread it out. Never have had a problem with mine or the ones I sent out.

I do wonder though, now with the rise (ryze, l. o. l.) of greater adoption of CPUs with more spread out dies if this video should be revisited?

13 minutes ago, ArtyIF said:

How does it compare to the typical methods like the pea or X-shape?

There is no practical difference in the temperatures no matter how you do it, as long as there is enough paste.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

For EPYC its actually makes sense. For non chiplet design CPUs such as intels consumer level, it kind of doesnt.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

really you could any method you want. a single big dot in the center, a 6 dots, 10 dots, an x shape, x shape with dots, or even spread it yourself. whatever makes you feel comfortable that you got full coverage. full coverage is less important with Intel chips as the chip is in the center, but ryzen chips are offset.

keep in mind that mounting pressure may have an effect your out come, but is kinda hard to screw up nowadays, so dont over think it.  just put the cooler.

1 hour ago, ArtyIF said:

I have NEVER seen anyone apply thermal paste like that.

It's pretty common. Doesn't really matter how you put it, as long as it covers evenly.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The Idea with paste is that there is only such a thing as too little or way too much paste.

This method of the 5 blobs of paste does make sense from a spreading point of view, where I think this would spread pretty evelyn over the CPU (similar to the X method I think).

There is only too little paste, which can be achieved by making one blob just too little.

Then of course too much paste, other than being wasteful and annoying to clean up, can hinder performance too.

You really just want a thin even amount of paste over the CPU, which aids in the good transfer of heat between the IHS and cooler.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

personally use the X method on CPUs to make sure I get edge to edge coverage.

Me too,  but I also put 4 small dots "around" the X if that makes sense...

I don't have a lot of experience with this but I've noticed sometimes there's just small pieces on the edge that don't get covered if i use the "pea size dot" method... and i think the same could happen with X method...

I think next time I'll actually spread it very thinly, that kind of makes the most sense,  it's really not the amount rather than coverage that concerns me a little bit...

#@ShrimpBrime was right. 😄

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I used to do a line down the cores and plant the cooler on and give it a titty twister before I give it the clamps, always worked good. Since I got this Ryzen Ive been a puss and I do a line down the side and spread it over the IHS. Seems to work pretty good. My temps are nice and even. Though I cant say that with great certainty because Intel shows you individual core temps and AMD does not. But my CCD and CPU temps are nearly identical. Its a good spread.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

40 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I used to do a line down the cores and plant the cooler on and give it a titty twister before I give it the clamps, always worked good. Since I got this Ryzen Ive been a puss and I do a line down the side and spread it over the IHS. Seems to work pretty good. My temps are nice and even. Though I cant say that with great certainty because Intel shows you individual core temps and AMD does not. But my CCD and CPU temps are nearly identical. Its a good spread.

Yeah, exactly you can't be too sure with the weird way temps get measured on ryzen apparently,  but I have a good feeling with my X 4 dots method this time. 

20210403_173003.thumb.jpg.8baea7ec94744f73ccacabba70e27808.jpg

It wasn't that even before, of course i can't know if that's because of my new noctua cooler or my superior dot X tech 😅

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I just ran this for you, only 5 minutes, but temps were level already. I forgot to turn up my case fans.. could have knocked a couple c off.. but whatever. Its already in the 80s lol.

Capture.JPG

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Me too,  but I also put 4 small dots "around" the X if that makes sense...

I don't have a lot of experience with this but I've noticed sometimes there's just small pieces on the edge that don't get covered if i use the "pea size dot" method... and i think the same could happen with X method...

I think next time I'll actually spread it very thinly, that kind of makes the most sense,  it's really not the amount rather than coverage that concerns me a little bit...

#@ShrimpBrime was right. 😄

Can't guarantee full coverage without actually spreading it yourself. Then you know the paste is corner to corner end to end. And it' doesn't need to be a thick coat. Set the cooler down, give a couple of twists and some pushout is expected and ok. 

When I don't care (usually on the bench) a big dot in the middle and it never seems to reach the corners unless I use extra but it seems it pushes out only at the edges and never reaches the corners. 

My daily rigs are all spread method. 

They are also de-lidded. So I have no choice to spread anyways, especially on the naked die.