Corsair RMx (2021)

ForwardVoltage

I'm wondering whether there's gonna be an RMi or HXi refresh. I was going to get one but some retailers are saying "End of Life" and with the Rmx refresh I can't tell if the i series is due for one too or if those retailers are just saying that while they wait for stock due to the shortages. 

1 hour ago, Zephyrv said:

I'm wondering whether there's gonna be an RMi or HXi refresh. I was going to get one but some retailers are saying "End of Life" and with the Rmx refresh I can't tell if the i series is due for one too or if those retailers are just saying that while they wait for stock due to the shortages. 

On 4/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, jonnyGURU said:

I can't comment on that.

18 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

I kinda assumed that was about the AXi line so still unclear about RMi and HXi

29 minutes ago, Zephyrv said:

I kinda assumed that was about the AXi line so still unclear about RMi and HXi

You can assume that's about ANY product refresh.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:51 PM, Spotty said:

Dammit Aris, no-one needs 150mm between connectors!

Well I would love to have 150mm between connectors. 😇

On 4/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, crmaris said:

Back in the day people were telling me the same about two EPS connectors, that nobody needs them, and now Corsair used 3x EPS 😉

Use to be so hard for me to find dual EPS at a decent price for my dual socket builds, if I didn't want screamers, so much easier now days.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-2021-power-supply-review

Guess the promise, that the new revision will be as silent as the old one was kinda false 😞

Would love to know the reason for the new fan curve though, were there any problems with the old (2018) units and their super silent fan curve?

Context:  Look at how he loads the PSU.  With the +3.3V/+5V maxed out.  They're not even passively cooled.  Very unrealistic and I don't approve.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, jonnyGURU said:

You can assume that's about ANY product refresh.

A question about switching ODM for product refreshes. Do Andyson, Seasonic, SFC, Sirfa, Great Wall, FSP matter anymore? It seems that everyone is capable of putting out good products these days. I don't understand the stigma about Great Wall when they build the Corsair SF series. A lot of people I talked with seem to hate Great Wall. Why?

17 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Context:  Look at how he loads the PSU.  With the +3.3V/+5V maxed out.  They're not even passively cooled.  Very unrealistic and I don't approve.

I mean, from the noise chart we see that maximum fan RPM is high even with low minor rails load if 12V load is high, but i guess we'll have to wait for revised data of retail samples.

yFPHXLcyDtfYfdG54aVq9F.jpg

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

36 minutes ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

A lot of people I talked with seem to hate Great Wall. Why?

Probably hatred against something they don't know about. For many people the only frame of reference with Great Wall is muh Walmart PSU video GN did. Despite the fact that the OEM's been proven to be able to make good products, and even one-ups muh Seasonic, clear hallmark of quality (/s), in many ways, people still don't like the OEM in general for some baseless reasons.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

A question about switching ODM for product refreshes. Do Andyson, Seasonic, SFC, Sirfa, Great Wall, FSP matter anymore? It seems that everyone is capable of putting out good products these days.

Yes.  All of these brands are capable of making garbage or almost top of the line stuff.  But these are all very old OEMs and have a lot of experience.  It's the new ones that just came from making flat panels or power bricks that you need to watch out for.  They might know how to design a proper circuit, but will use paper datasheets instead of actual experience to determine what parts to use.

1 hour ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

I don't understand the stigma about Great Wall when they build the Corsair SF series. A lot of people I talked with seem to hate Great Wall. Why?

Ignorance.  Same ignorance that makes people think Seasonic is a tier 1 with the largest market share in the world. 

Great Wall is one of the largest OEM/ODMs.  But they have mostly furnished to SIs and servers.  It's like the people that think Hi Pro, Acbel and LiteOn are garbage because those company's didn't make the Antec or Enermax PSU in their mom's PC.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

I mean, from the noise chart we see that maximum fan RPM is high even with low minor rails load if 12V load is high, but i guess we'll have to wait for revised data of retail samples.

yFPHXLcyDtfYfdG54aVq9F.jpg

Yeah....  Well, his data doesn't match mine.  But whatever.  Also, there are some issues with the new triangle ID (air-flow restriction) and the Sunon fan blade design isn't ideal.  At the same RPM, the Sunon is noticeably higher.

image.png.15c87f90d0252f8ed3752cde355be497.png

Orange is Sunon.  Blue is Hong Hua.  X (horizontal) is RPM, Y is dB(A).

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well, even when the minor rails aren't loaded, the new revision is substantially louder than the older one. It is perfectly compareable, cause Aris tested both for THW and Techpowerup.

My main question still is, why?

Were there any problems with the 2018 models?

I am seriously interested in Corsair PSUs, thats why care and complain.

Otherwise i could just pick another unit and stay silent.

edit: If his data isn't correct could you share the fan curve at 30C for example?

1 hour ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

substantially

That's you saying that.  Not even Aris.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

To his credit Aris did say "The older RM750x unit is notably quieter". Not necessarily "substantially" but enough to be noticeable.

qDc8vodWPxQ7pjJh9oMQhZ-970-80.png

I'll wait for the new revision with better fan curves, though.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

~10 db more on average is quite high in my opinion.

Maybe my wording wasn't correct but english isn't my native language, however 9-10 db is alot 

I would still love to see the fan curve from you if Aris isn't right.

Again, i am not bashing or anything like that, i just don't understand the necissity for the louder fan curve even though the plattform only had minor changes.

So basically the 2021 version is too loud for me to ever be relevant. I have the RMx 2018 850W in my PC and it's already the loudest part of my system. Afaik dB doesn't scale linearly when it comes to how we perceive it. Isn't 28dB around TWICE AS LOUD to the human ear than 19dB? If my assumptions are right, isn't the new one technically worse than the 2018 model? (Afaik 10dB increase = around double the perceived "loudness" to the human ear)

Of course i'm happy to be corrected if any of my information is wrong.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

So basically the 2021 version is too loud for me to ever be relevant. I have the RMx 2018 850W in my PC and it's already the loudest part of my system.

For a quieter Corsair PSU, I can only think of 2 options :
- buying a larger capacity unit (1200W should be enough?) and running it in semi-passive mode (that's what Seasonic does with its fanless model)
-
buying an RMi/HXi once the iCue development team updates the software to allow for lower minimum RPMs, and leaving it at a constant 600RPM : always cool, no ramping up of the fan ;

@jonnyGURU : Have you guys noticed premature fan failures with the riffle bearing? (why is it being replaced by the ML one?)

17 hours ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Well, even when the minor rails aren't loaded, the new revision is substantially louder than the older one. It is perfectly compareable, cause Aris tested both for THW and Techpowerup.

My main question still is, why?

Were there any problems with the 2018 models?

From Aris' review, the fan still doesn't seem to spin above 1400RPM at 30℃~32°C.(But, even with the same RPM, the 2021ver would be louder because, as jonny said, the Sunon fan blade is not as good as Honghua's.)

Actually, comparing the two RPMs below, the RPM distributions look almost the same. Although different temperature conditions...

fdC2jcwbn79KC856tAXM8H-970-80.jpg

RM750x(2021) 30℃~32℃

xZrz7tdPYiHVjn36SAzXAW-970-80.png

RM750(2018) 37℃~47℃

If Aris's review is correct, my guess is that the wacky triangular design of RMx(2021) degrades the cooling performance, resulting in a lower margin at high temperatures compared to the RMx(2018), so the fan RPM increased than RMx(2018) at 37℃~47℃.

FGKnRo7byLRyfiMkzH2NtB-970-80.png

Edited by IIIIIIIIII

If the triangular design is the reason for the increased fan speed and noise this would be one of the most non logical decisions ever made.

Design over function as a philosophy is by far the most stupid thing you can do, especially on a PSU.

Most of the time you can't even see the side where those nice triangles are since it is facing downwards.

This would make the whole situation even more frustrating, since the 2021 RMx is the nearly perfect gold PSU in my eyes (efficiency could be a little bit better, if i am nitpicky).

44 minutes ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

If the triangular design is the reason for the increased fan speed and noise this would be one of the most non logical decisions ever made.

Design over function as a philosophy is by far the most stupid thing you can do, especially on a PSU.

I'm not going to disagree.  But I'm the monkey.  Not the organ grinder.  😄

I try to make what I'm given work as best as possible.

FWIW:  The "original" RMx (code name "Lindes") is still shipping.  This model is sort of "supplemental" to it.  We can't get as many ML fans as we would need to match Lindes's volume.

22 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm not going to disagree.  But I'm the monkey.  Not the organ grinder.  😄

I try to make what I'm given work as best as possible.

FWIW:  The "original" RMx (code name "Lindes") is still shipping.  This model is sort of "supplemental" to it.  We can't get as many ML fans as we would need to match Lindes's volume.

I know, thats why i am so frustrated.

Don't like to buy a sort of inferior product if a newer one is available, if you know what i mean, since there were still some minor improvements beside the fan motor.

It is just this new fan curve... makes my decision to buy a new PSU harder than it has to 😞

Comparing the two units (2018 and 2021 RMx) i can't believe that those triangles are the reason for the worse fan curve.

Overall the "mesh" surface area is bigger than the older unit but with more metal in the way, airflow wise should be around the same.

2501845-n4.jpg 1777738-n4.jpg

Also, some reviews are showing different results like this one:

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/147620-corsair-rm850x-psu-2021/?page=6

Issue is, i don't know at which ambient temperature they tested.

I would install my PSU in a Phanteks P600S (fan to the bottom as usual) and where i live (germany) the ambient temperature in my room can get to about 30° in summer, maybe even a bit higher, depends on the weather.

Maybe we can get a rev 1.1 for the 2021 model with a more relaxed fan curve? 😉

Would buy it ASAP.

5 hours ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Comparing the two units (2018 and 2021 RMx) i can't believe that those triangles are the reason for the worse fan curve.

Overall the "mesh" surface area is bigger than the older unit but with more metal in the way, airflow wise should be around the same.

The triangles look pretty open. I've seen much less open grills on other power supplies. Might not just be as simple as how much metal is in the way being restrictive, but turbulence caused and the way the different shapes affect airflow. That might both require a more aggressive fan profile to compensate and also may cause more noise from the turbulence of the air. 

Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer the look of the older RMx. Not a fan of the triangles. If the triangle design is what is causing it to be noisier than older models then that's very disappointing.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

There’s an earlier discussion on that exact issue of the triangular grid:

10 hours ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

I know, thats why i am so frustrated.

Don't like to buy a sort of inferior product if a newer one is available, if you know what i mean, since there were still some minor improvements beside the fan motor.

It is just this new fan curve... makes my decision to buy a new PSU harder than it has to 😞

Come on guys... Just look at the difference.

image.png.08c96badec94468c6ba7a3bb98c93993.png

image.png.ee9e5d5813598d88cf49bbfcfbbfd8ee.png

Also, you can see the fan blade difference.  Despite both having seven blades, you can see how there's more space between the blades on the old RMx.  This makes a difference too.  The HH blades are thinner, but have more of a "cup" shape to push air.

Also, exhaust is more important than intake.  A lot of intake means NADA if you can't exhaust the heat out:

image.png.333c3328f3adaa9645661d22377f2524.png

image.png.f3d8992b7a578fd5bd5311a914fe4e7d.png

Internally, the new RMx is no different than the old RMx except the new one supports the burst mode required to achieve 70% efficiency as low as 2% load.  The change is the ID and the fan and that's it.