Corsair RMx (2021)

ForwardVoltage
1 hour ago, Ineedapsu said:

Sorry to disturb. If the fan being slightly louder isn't a problem, then which one of the 750W versions is better (safer and more durable)? 2018 or 2021? 

Theoretically, the 2021 version would be more durable, since the fan is using a - theoretically - better bearing (magnetic levitation).

(The reason why I keep saying "theoretically" is because afaik Jon never explicitly praised this bearing. What I know is that he would take a FDB over anything else.
There might not be much of a difference between rifle and ML, but we know that Aris is very happy with it, since the ML bearing is supposedly more heat-resistant, which is something you want to have inside a PSU).

EDIT : outsped by @IIIIIIIIII

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 3:14 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Only the 850W is getting a corrected fan curve because there's enough thermal margin there.

That's pretty nice. I may potentially get a new one at a HUGE discount to replace my Gigabyte G750h.

• 1 month later...

Hi @jonnyGURU

Would much appreciate your reply.

Cant seem to get a definitive answer to this from anywhere, but can the RMx be monitored via HWinfo64, to see voltages for each rail, how much W they draw and PSU temps? 

RMi is nowhere in stock in my country and RMx is my best choice but would really need to be able to monitor it. 

46 minutes ago, Cryptedvick said:

Cant seem to get a definitive answer to this from anywhere, but can the RMx be monitored via HWinfo64, to see voltages for each rail, how much W they draw and PSU temps? 

No. The RMx does not provide any information to the motherboard. Only the "i" series PSUs from Corsair do. RMi, HXi, AXi.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 hours ago, Cryptedvick said:

Hi @jonnyGURU

Would much appreciate your reply.

RMi is nowhere in stock in my country and RMx is my best choice but would really need to be able to monitor it. 

If you can't get a definitive answer, you're definitely asking in the wrong places. 

RMx doesn't support that.  Note that there is no USB or I2C interface on the RMx to use for communication. That's why there's the RMi. 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:39 PM, jonnyGURU said:

If you can't get a definitive answer, you're definitely asking in the wrong places. 

RMx doesn't support that.  Note that there is no USB or I2C interface on the RMx to use for communication. That's why there's the RMi. 

Thank you! 

This is what I also found, but some feedback on reddit said that after a "light internet search", they can be monitored and it really threw me off, so wanted to ask the man himself. Thanks for your confirmation! 

9 hours ago, Cryptedvick said:

feedback on reddit

Ah... That's where you went wrong.  😉

Can't trust anyone on Reddit.

• 2 weeks later...

hm I might have some bad luck.

It seems that my new, shiny RMx 850W 2021 is faulty.  After I mounted it, W10 started to freeze/hang at random, no matter whether under load or idle.. I checked RAM, ssds/hdd, GPU, CPU, updated BIOS, drivers.. and upgraded OS to the latest version available. Nope, did not help. When OS started to be unresponsive, all I could do was move my cursor...I had to push restart button on my case chassis every time. Yes, I checked temps and cables too .
I had Seasonic Gx recently, no such issues... switched back to my old RMx 2015, no such issues 

have you heard of anyone having similar problems? 😑

2 hours ago, pincup said:

It seems that my new, shiny RMx 850W 2021 is faulty.

It is possible albeit very unlikely that your sample is faulty and has a very high ripple which causes this instability. Try switching back to the new RM-x, if the problem is back then yeah, no other explanation than the PSU is faulty.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just fitted my Corsair RMx (2021) 1000w PSU, all went fine. It was on offer for a decent price.

Somewhat disappointed with the pig tailed PCI-e cables for the GPU. With the inline capacitors they aren't particularly flexible when it comes to routing them. This is the first time that I have used a Corsair that has such an arrangement.

Whilst I appreciate that software monitoring of PSU voltages can be less than reliable could you take a look at the screen that I have attached showing the power on the 12v rail. My previous PSU, a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w (intended for another machine) would not have such fluctuation. Not sure if what I see as a fluctuation is considered typical or acceptable, to me it is just different from my Seasonic that I had in the PC.

Thanks

Forgot to mention the columns are listed as                 Current......Min............Max............Average.

That helps to know...!

xxxxxxxxxx.jpg

43 minutes ago, VimesUK said:

such fluctuation

What fluctuation ?

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

What fluctuation ?

Fluctuation might be the wrong word to use....

The differences between the minimum and maximum voltage reported on the 12v rail. It might be a non-event, but I happened to notice that unlike my previous Seasonic I note those differences you can see in the table. 

The attached screen in this post was taken when using the Seasonic.... 

As in the first post I forgot to mention the column values, they are.....

Forgot to mention the columns are listed as                 Current......Min............Max............Average.

Seasonic.jpg

Just now, Juular said:

@VimesUKThat's completely normal.

That's fine, wondered if it was a non event. But I needed to ask, so thanks for that. 

On 8/8/2021 at 11:19 AM, Juular said:

It is possible albeit very unlikely that your sample is faulty and has a very high ripple which causes this instability. Try switching back to the new RM-x, if the problem is back then yeah, no other explanation than the PSU is faulty.

I was about to do just that today but decided not to. Why should I risk damaging PC components when I can just return it.

It's enough that I spent 5 days trying to resolve this issue and except for 1 day my OS kept freezing. Switched back to the old PSU, it's all good... 

12 hours ago, pincup said:

I was about to do just that today but decided not to. Why should I risk damaging PC components when I can just return it.

It's enough that I spent 5 days trying to resolve this issue and except for 1 day my OS kept freezing. Switched back to the old PSU, it's all good... 

The cables are interchangeable, so you could see if the problem is just with the cables.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I've been trying to get a proper UPS for my RM550X. So far I've found it has active PFC (APFC) components (in Tomshardware site), but Corsair is not explicit about it being  APFC. Does PLUS-80 certification presupposes APFC? Anyone knows if this PSU (line) is compatible with Cyberpower's simulated sine wave?

47 minutes ago, ninioArtillero said:

So far I've found it has active PFC (APFC) components (in Tomshardware site), but Corsair is not explicit about it being  APFC

It has APFC like practically every unit that's out there today. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, Elisis said:

It has APFC like practically every unit that's out there today. 

That's seems to be the case, but wonder why is not explicit in this case. Also I've read that some APFC PSUs can work fine with simulated/aproximated sine wave from a UPS battery.

39 minutes ago, ninioArtillero said:

That's seems to be the case, but wonder why is not explicit in this case. 

Because literally every PSU made today has APFC.

Being explicit on that would be like being explicit on the fact that water is wet.

40 minutes ago, ninioArtillero said:

Also I've read that some APFC PSUs can work fine with simulated/aproximated sine wave from a UPS battery.

Most modern PSUs are find with modified step wave.  Those who are reporting they're not are using APFC PSUs made in the 90's.

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because literally every PSU made today has APFC.

Being explicit on that would be like being explicit on the fact that water is wet.

Most modern PSUs are find with modified step wave.  Those who are reporting they're not are using APFC PSUs made in the 90's.

Got ya. Thanks for clearing it out.

It's just that in UPS threads APFC is assumed to NEED "pure sine wave", and those products are said to be "APFC compatible". Guess is a way to avoid any compatibility problems (with old PSU) from the get go and nurture a market for its pure sine wave products.

• 1 month later...

HX1000 i had had HORRIBLE coil whine, straight back to seller....

But, how is the 2021 RM1000x coil whine in general? What are the overall experience with this? 

• 2 weeks later...

hm I hope someone will enlighten me...

I bought another 850x 2021 and this time no OS restarts out of nowhere, but I observed voltage values on 12v and 5v are not as high as in previous units.. 11.904 which I know is fine but I got used to higher numbers not to mention that 5v likes to drop to 4.966.

What I don't get is that I thought that lower voltage would be noticeable under load but I observed it even my OS was not doing much.. just web browser/youtube 🤔

Cable extensions ?

5v likes to drop to 4.966.

I.e 0.7% off nominal ? That's an issue ?

26 minutes ago, Juular said:

Cable extensions ?

I think I should add that voltage tends to drop to 11.904 even when idle and shortly after goes up to 12~. It does not happen that often.

There was UPS+ 1x cable extension, now there is only 1 cable extension. Will check without.