Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Corsair RMx (2021)

My new build - CPUIntel Core i9-11900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XIII Hero I RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Royal (Silver) 32GB 4000 MHz C15 I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix (white) I CaseLian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (white) I FansCorsair QL120 (white) x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved (white) Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Mouse Pad: Corsair MM700 RGB Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: Sony PULSE 3D Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

My first build:

• CPU - Intel Core i9 9900KF @ 4.97GHz
  • GPU - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra
  • Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix Z-390E Gaming
  • RAM - 32GB (4x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 3600MHz
  • Storage - Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD and Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
  • Cooler - Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE w/LL120 Fans
  • Case - Corsair Crystal Series 680X (Black)
  • Fans - [3x] Corsair QL120 RGB LED (front), [1x] Corsair QL140 RGB LED (rear), [2x] Corsair LL140 RGB LED (bottom)
  • PSU - EVGA Supernova 1000w G+
  • Monitor - Acer Predator X34
  • Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT
  • Mouse - Razer Lancehead, Tournament Edition (Mercury)

1 hour ago, lerodemmy said:

The price didn’t increase on the new model is what I’m saying.  It decreased by $15.

That's got to be a typo.  LOL!

EDIT:  Oh, sorry... The 1000W!  That's because there was no RM1000x (2018).  Only the 650, 750 and 850W were refreshed in 2018.  The RM1000x used the old platform that Corsair engineered that cost too much to build.  😄

Are the wires in the 24-pin ATX connector bundle that comes with 650 and 750 Watt models as thin as 20AWG?

members.cybenetics.report:5050/d/cybenetics_miH.pdf

1 hour ago, Quartz11 said:

Are the wires in the 24-pin ATX connector bundle that comes with 650 and 750 Watt models as thin as 20AWG?

members.cybenetics.report:5050/d/cybenetics_miH.pdf

F*** no.

Only the sense wires, PS-ON and PWR-OK are 20g.

You'll note that they say "16-20g" without defining what's 16g and what's 20g.

image.png.c14643023be39a42f9cbdb42ebbd783c.png

The 1000W uses 16g for most of the wires, but still uses 20g for the signal wires:

image.png.efe73e6118a9446b2194a23cfb3ccd26.png

Thanks!  Yeah I was wondering what that description meant, 20 AWG is thin.  

This new updated series is not making my choice easier.  I'm still waiting on various parts to arrive for my new build (case should arrive next week), and I haven't touched the MSI MPG PSU box I ordered from Amazon, still in plastic wrap.  Now I'm wondering if I should get the new RMx 750Watt instead.  Would probably go for 650 Watt, but the measurements look better overall on the 750W and 850W on cybenetics tests, so it will be 750 Watt instead.

(I was briefly seduced by HXi 750 Watt for the power monitoring, but a bit sad it doesn't provide more information like the AXi series.  And also looking at Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11.   I like that these two are multi-rail switchable, and RMx is only single-rail.   But more budget-friendly and super low ripple.  Hmmmmmm!)

This new updated series is not making my choice easier. 

The original RMx is still available.  

HX is still available and it supports a single/multiple +12V rail switch (physical).

An HX refresh will NOT support multiple +12V rail (cost adder).

I meant that I'm interested in all of those, just can't decide, because I don't know enough which would be the better sub $200 choice. 

Is there a reason HX is going back to single rail?  I thought multi-rail was a good thing, but still relatively few PSUs support it; single 12V rail dominates by far.  

33 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

I meant that I'm interested in all of those, just can't decide, because I don't know enough which would be the better sub $200 choice. 

Is there a reason HX is going back to single rail?  I thought multi-rail was a good thing, but still relatively few PSUs support it; single 12V rail dominates by far.  

Because multiple +12V rail is a significant cost adder and the percentage of customers that knows/care what it is is < 1% (those who maintain the "tier list".)

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because multiple +12V rail is a significant cost adder and the percentage of customers that knows/care what it is is < 1% (those who maintain the "tier list".)

I understand the seller's position, but it is sad news that as a consumer, there is something inferior to the previous product.

Sadly, most people are still obsessed with the brand or Wattage rather than whether the PSU product itself is good. Over the years, even after going through a series of events, nothing has changed😰

Imagine combining those impressive ripple levels and low load efficiency with a multi-rail design and option to have the fan always on (low RPM at low loads.)  Those can even be simple switches on the back.

48 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

Imagine combining those impressive ripple levels and low load efficiency with a multi-rail design and option to have the fan always on (low RPM at low loads.)  Those can even be simple switches on the back.

That's called Corsair RM-i/HX-i/AX-i.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

An HX refresh will NOT support multiple +12V rail (cost adder).

Can already hear people complaining that 'Corsair are cheaping out' despite these same people crying about multi-rail. Can we assume that whenever there would be RM-i and AX-i refreshes, these would be single-rail too ? Or Corsair plans to introduce some higher-end series with multi-rail ?

5 hours ago, Juular said:

That's called Corsair RM-i/HX-i/AX-i.

The RM-i and HX-i don't have measurements quite as good as the new RMx 2021 version in terms of ripple measurements and efficiency, that's what I meant.  And the new RMx line is as good in efficiency as the HXi line for corresponding 850 watt models from 10 up to 30% load (~255 Watts DC with 115V input) and even better at very low loads.  Seems like the only thing the HX / i lines going for them now over RMx 2021 is the multi-rail switching and higher efficiency for ~50% load for the HX.  If they were updated in the same way that the RMx series were updated while keeping multi-rail option, it'd be amazing.  Looking side-by-side at Cybenetics measurements for each.

6 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

The RM-i and HX-i don't have measurements quite as good as the new RMx 2021 version in terms of ripple measurements and efficiency, that's what I meant.  And the new RMx line is as good in efficiency as the HXi line for corresponding 850 watt models from 10 up to 30% load (~255 Watts DC with 115V input) and even better at very low loads.  Seems like the only thing the HX / i lines going for them now over RMx 2021 is the multi-rail switching and higher efficiency for ~50% load for the HX.  If they were updated in the same way that the RMx series were updated while keeping multi-rail option, it'd be amazing.  Looking side-by-side at Cybenetics measurements for each.

At some point, you have to point out that comparing millivolt of ripple to millivolt of ripple becomes not noticeable to any lifetime of a component.

If you're thinking about switching to RMx, I wouldn't unless you need the ASM (A-GF is already high tier in everything else). I'd only switch if you really want something better than a CWT GPU. The end wattage HXs have some other componentry choices that just make it better than the RMx. Each to their own, I wouldn't buy an extraordinary expensive 750w unit now to realize I might need more wattage or I could have spent it elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

The RM-i and HX-i don't have measurements quite as good as the new RMx 2021 version in terms of ripple measurements and efficiency

You wouldn't notice one percent difference and ripple suppression on all of them is already good enough to not look at the numbers at which point i'd rather have cables without in-cable capacitors for QoL improvement instead of single digit ripple.

You're right, I'm overthinking it.  I blame the time waiting for all the components to arrive, which is allowing me to keep reading reviews and consider alternatives.  Will just stick with my $90 MSI A650GF (I definitely will not need more than 650-Watts--no budget for high end graphics cards for the foreseeable future, particularly at the current shortage prices.  At best an RMX 3060 Ti.)  Looking at a Polish review of A850GF again, it has really low ripple numbers as well, along with flat ribbon cables.

11 hours ago, Juular said:

Can already hear people complaining that 'Corsair are cheaping out' despite these same people crying about multi-rail. Can we assume that whenever there would be RM-i and AX-i refreshes, these would be single-rail too ? Or Corsair plans to introduce some higher-end series with multi-rail ?

I only mentioned HX.  Not HXi.  Any "i" product would allow for single/multiple +12V rail switching.  I'm talking about the PSUs with the physical switch.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

I only mentioned HX.  Not HXi.  Any "i" product would allow for single/multiple +12V rail switching.  I'm talking about the PSUs with the physical switch.

Gotcha.

@jonnyGURUCan you possibly share whether the lower wattage AXi line will be updated any time soon?  I'm not sure if AX860i and AX760i were completely discontinued a while ago.

19 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

@jonnyGURUCan you possibly share whether the lower wattage AXi line will be updated any time soon?  I'm not sure if AX860i and AX760i were completely discontinued a while ago.

I can't comment on that.

Ok, I figured, but it was worth asking.  Thanks for the reply.  Pretty much my dream PSU: multi-rail with full digital monitoring.  The AXi 760 Watt and 860 Watt have been discontinued, right?  Or at least if I find a new unit for sale, it's probably old now?

Flex announced a few years ago that it would no longer make ATX, so I think the release of the new AXi is a confirmation. In my opinion, no matter how late, I expect it to be within a year or two.

So if you're not in a hurry, please wait. Something good will happen.

6 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Flex announced a few years ago that it would no longer make ATX, so I think the release of the new AXi is a confirmation. In my opinion, no matter how late, I expect it to be within a year or two.

So if you're not in a hurry, please wait. Good things will happen.

Well.. let's put it this way.

Corsair's "rule of thumb" is you can make the product in a series the same (but with new ID or added features) or BETTER, but you can't go backwards.

Flex set a really high bar that nobody else can meet.  So while we might decide to make the next generation HXi as good as performance as the previous AXi, I can't see it being as good or having features like GaN Totem Pole, etc.  Therefore, there isn't going to be any new AXi's any time soon and AX1600i is going to go on for a very long time as long as Flex is willing to manufacture them.

Can anyone explain to me, why the fan curve of the 2021 version is so much worse than the 2018 version?
Will this get fixed and when will the 2021 versions be available in europe?

Thanks in advance 😉

8 minutes ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

Can anyone explain to me, why the fan curve of the 2021 version is so much worse than the 2018 version?
Will this get fixed and when will the 2021 versions be available in europe?

Thanks in advance 😉