Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

IMO it would be a lot better if these VAG drops would be released IN A live broadcast.

Videos can be played at 2x speed (or even faster if you download the video and use a separate player), or simply skipped through just to look for the drop info.

As a regular viewer I would like to have a chance to get one of the cards while not having to stress out and frantically searching/skipping through the video.

I'd like to watch the content as intended at regular speed.

Fancy idea: make a bot that downloads LTT videos as soon as they are uploaded and runs voice recognition looking for the "verified actual gamer" phrase or sth. similar

Edited by Neopolitas

6 minutes ago, hoemma said:

That's weird. I went in 15 minutes after the video was posted and could still start the quiz.

Hmm.. Maybe they only add stock after a normal person would actually be able to get it? I was watching on 2x and have YT Premium, so no ads. I did go back a few minutes after and still had the same message (and, of course now the page has been removed).

*Sigh* At least I got to see the announcement in the video this time. Got right on the computer and attempted to get to the page. Unfortunately my stupid brain put an 's' after Torx and by the time I corrected it all I got was the drop is SOLD OUT page. No quiz no reasonable priced graphics card for me today. Congrats to those who got one. Hopefully there will be more drops and maybe I will get in on the next one.

3 minutes ago, Husbeard said:

I kept putting in /3080liquidcooledtorxafterburner

Le Sigh..

not alone bro

here are the combinations I tried

/3080lcstorxafterburner

/3080liquidcoolingtorxafterburner

/3080liquidcooledtorxafterburner

/3080seahawktorxafterburner

/3080aiotorxafterburner

/3080clctorxafterburner

/3080liquid-cooledtorxafterburner

/3080liquid-coolingtorxafterburner

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

35 minutes ago, Slick said:

Not bots btw - But I def understand the feels bad 😞 only 80 avail this time.

Also technically there is still a queue at this time as some people that passed the quiz did not order... Hopefully you didn't close the page 😛

Yeah.  I waited.  But it went to out of stock.  Like I said.  I like the theory, in practice it's still just as frustrating.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

On 3/28/2021 at 2:34 AM, Arika S said:

The first batch was NVidia only, because that's all they were able to be provided with. There's apparently plans for MSI to help out, Could be a mix of both AMD and Nvidia. I've seen people saying that AMD has also offered help as well, though i don't think it's been confirmed how, whether it will be through an AIB, or if they are going to supply first party cards.

AMD sounds like is tossing CPUs and reference GPUs

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'm interested to know if any purchases (from this drop or previous) have been identified as suspect and cancelled? ordering to same address, using same account etc. Is there manual checking after the orders have gone through?

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I can make unofficial FAQ and link to some known resources such as WAN timestamps and Linus' post. But overall, LMG has decided not to release any written info. So only actual resource is the WAN Shows.

Yeah its all good, no complaints from me. So anyway I did the latest VAG contest and for the quiz right after 3 attempts and by then it was out of stock. But if I'm brutally honest, had a managed to get a slot I would have passed on the purchase. I was never going to pay $1249 for a graphics card, not LMG's fault, this is 100% MSI taking the f***ing piss with the price. UK msrp for that card would/should be around £700-£750, but yes good luck finding a card, or one at that price. And I'm in the UK, so by the time that got over here that £906 would have been £1400+ (Shipping+duty+vat+bloody brexit). So as I suspected the VAG isn't really compatible with UK users, so it is what it is.

The RTX 3070 I bought for £575 last November has gone up price to £875 (thats the not-instock price fyi), with some 3070's (MSI trio-x & Gbyte Aorus) that are in-stock going for £1020. Its bad enough when some random arsehole is trying to scalp you, but when it a known company (www.cex.co.uk) its especially infuriating.

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

Can we release the quiz separately sometime in the future? Sounds like some fun questions are in there.

26 minutes ago, Baconadors said:

<redacted by staff>

For those wondering.

Maybe next time.

I was going to redact the thread, but saw Luke's message saying it was all gone already.

Make sure not to post the link next time, there's a reason LMG doesn't post the link on YT or on the forum.

The link will be different next time BTW, so no need to save that one.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@LinusTech Might be wise in the future to consider using a load of arbitrary digits rather than the product name; that way people can't guess?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

there's a reason LMG doesn't post the link on YT or on the forum.

what's the reason if

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

The link will be different next time

?

And it's posted everywhere on yt, twitter, etc.

Just now, AlexP11223 said:

what's the reason

bots, the goal is to make it so a human needs to listen to the video and figure the link themselves.

?

And it's posted everywhere on yt, twitter, etc.

I'm not a YT or Twitter mod, but on the forum the links will be removed.

Just now, wkdpaul said:

bots, the goal is to make it so a human needs to listen to the video and figure the link themselves.

I think they were asking why the links need to be removed after the stock has sold out, if they will be different next time.

To me, though, what's being done here makes sense. A blanket ban on reposting the links means that there is no excuse if one gets posted, accidentally or otherwise, while stock is still available.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I rewatched the video and realize I didn't even have to google the answers since Linus gave us the answers. While saying liquid he shows I finger, while saing torx he shows 2, while saying afterburner he showed 3.
image.thumb.png.3145eca90f3ed90a4f42d629a4a6c6ad.png
 And he told us to watch carfully during the last WAN show 😄

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

We do what we must because we can

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

I think they were asking why the links need to be removed after the stock has sold out, if they will be different next time.

Because I don't participate in the program, don't have contact with the staff and LMG and didn't see @Slick reply 😉

After I saw his reply, I stopped removing them.

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

But when it's posted the stock is already gone, so the link is useless.

And knowledge of the link should not give any advantage for the next time, or it would be unfair because you can easily find this link on the internet.

But when it's posted the stock is already gone, so the link is useless.

And knowledge of the link should not give any advantage for the next time, or it would be unfair because you can easily find this link on the internet.

see my reply above.

Damn, alright so the video today got posted earlier than the trend had been lately, I actually got to see the part of the video with the vag program bit in it so that was really cool.

Unfortunately a liquid cooled card like that wouldn't really work in my rig anyways which is a shame, but at least I didn't miss out too bad, but I know that this is maybe happenng more frequently than I expected. 

Still looks like you're going to have to catch the video extremely early to stand a chance. And my boss is changing my schedule next week because he's ridiculously petty aside from outright verbally abusive to his employees, so that's going to make catching these videos harder. I had been waking up early before work and caught a whole week of them right as they released, except the one day the vag program started and I was moved to a later shift with one day notice. uhg..

Cool that they are getting stock enough to do it that quickly though, I really hope that's a sign that it will keep going on fairly regularly?

Just now, Junction Runner said:

Damn, alright so the video today got posted earlier than the trend had been lately, I actually got to see the part of the video with the vag program bit in it so that was really cool.

Unfortunately a liquid cooled card like that wouldn't really work in my rig anyways which is a shame, but at least I didn't miss out too bad, but I know that this is maybe happenng more frequently than I expected. 

Still looks like you're going to have to catch the video extremely early to stand a chance. And my boss is changing my schedule next week because he's ridiculously petty aside from outright verbally abusive to his employees, so that's going to make catching these videos harder. I had been waking up early before work and caught a whole week of them right as they released, except the one day the vag program started and I was moved to a later shift with one day notice. uhg..

Cool that they are getting stock enough to do it that quickly though, I really hope that's a sign that it will keep going on fairly regularly?

In their last WAN show, Linus mentioned that videos might be posted at different times too, to give other time zones a chance as well, so this might be your chance too, after your boss reschedules your work day

3 minutes ago, Pitrus said:

In their last WAN show, Linus mentioned that videos might be posted at different times too, to give other time zones a chance as well, so this might be your chance too, after your boss reschedules your work day

I know, I remember that part, I just can't remember what sort of non standard times they post at, it was pretty convenient for me to be checking before work honestly, it was also giving me time to wake up more before driving in and maybe even eat something (though usually I'm far too nauseated after I wake up).

I'm in Canada anyhow so the standard NA release is likely more ideal, but I'm also a night owl so maybe I'd catch some odd ball 4 am release or something. (though with my schedule changed I probably won't be up until 5 am daily now)

edit: also yeah, wow, $2100 msrp for that thing or something, definitely out of my budget, if I had that kind of cash I would have bought a 3090 locally that a store had up on the shelf, would have been fun to make it in time for the quiz though)

58 minutes ago, Slick said:

No more stock - Thanks for tryin!

I have made this Best Answer for the thread for a day. I'm gonna assume you don't get new batch tomorrow to keep things clear, but might do another drop this week. Hoping this will help some people looking for answers.

56 minutes ago, croaker said:

This was the card, if anyone was wondering:

Guessing thats the main reason why some didn't buy. Only reason for me to get AIO GPU would be to resell it.

20 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

The link will be different next time BTW, so no need to save that one.

For the memories. But maybe its better not to have it because of machine learning thingies.

1 minute ago, Junction Runner said:

I know, I remember that part, I just can't remember what sort of non standard times they post at, it was pretty convenient for me to be checking before work honestly, it was also giving me time to wake up more before driving in and maybe even eat something (though usually I'm far too nauseated after I wake up).

I'm in Canada anyhow so the standard NA release is likely more ideal, but I'm also a night owl so maybe I'd catch some odd ball 4 am release or something. (though with my schedule changed I probably won't be up until 5 am daily now)

There are some things we can guess. First is that it will be on weekday because it needs to be handled partly manually. It will be on office hours, so from 8am PST to 6-7pm PST. Currently they are posting video at normal timeslot which is 10-11am PST. They could do some other time too, but for now the system requires manual monitoring, so during nighttime PST seems unlikely.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv