Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

10 minutes ago, valenti said:

I did watch that video, never finding out something about the drop.

The related segment has been removed from the video.

Does anyone have the list of questions or a video of someone completing the quiz? I (and many others, I’d assume) would be curious as to wether we would qualify as a ‘verified’ gamer. 

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

The related segment has been removed from the video.

😞

For the fairness of this program, it should have been remained in it.

10 minutes ago, valenti said:

😞

How does an unusable piece of information remaining in the video make the program fairer?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

How does an unusable piece of information remaining in the video make the program fairer?

to know how the next drop is gonna be, etc...

Just now, Padblaze said:

The whole point is to NOT publicising when the next drop is going to be. If they did that then there would be people with armies of bots going live at the precise time, which would defeat the point entirely.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The whole point is to NOT publicising when the next drop is going to be. If they did that then there would be people with armies of bots going live at the precise time, which would defeat the point entirely.

I don't think bots can bypass quizzes lol but I think they did that because it would be irrelevant when people are gonna watch this years later..

12 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

I don't think bots can bypass quizzes lol but I think they did that because it would be irrelevant when people are gonna watch this years later..

which is another very logical reason to do it.

pythonmegapixel

To be a public info WHEN, WHERE and HOW it was actually announced.

If it is fair, it should also be public and transparent, what happened, when and where.

Edited by valenti
syntax

28 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

It may not be the same method all the time. Linus said in the last WAN that the challenge is not necessary a quiz like that, and they may include the VAG info in more subtle ways so that people cannot just jump to this part immediately without watching the video.

Think of it less like a store you can buy GPUs from, and more like a random draw where a certain number of lucky viewers have a chance to buy a card.

In any case, you'd either have to be extremely naive or just plain deluded to suggest that, in a free-market capitalist system, the allocation of goods to members of the population can ever be 'fair' in the traditional sense.

pythonmegapixel

Was the I Was Right video simultaneously released on floatplane and youtube?

4 minutes ago, Lafy said:

Was the I Was Right video simultaneously released on floatplane and youtube?

Yes.

In both videos VAG was removed later.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:24 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Merged with megathread. Linus did reply to this earlier in the threads:

Merged to megathread. First drop was on Wednesdays video. Timing for next is unknown, but most likely next week starting from Monday.

Merged to megathread.

Merged to megathread.

You are saying they should make paid gambling instead of free-for-all? Sorry, but you need to think and read before you post.

Why not make it pay-to-get-chance-of-winning? Because thats gambling and under strict laws. They would need permit for running such, and it would exclude number of regions where you need local permits to run any gambling.

Why not make it raffle? Where large number of people gets verified and after that get chance to get to buy one? Again, this is raffle and requires permit + would exclude some regions.

Why not make it forums only? Because not all LTT fans use forums. Just this even has made some 10+ new members to join. They have made "Forums Only" once, during the move from house studio to current HQ. Also, just being on forums for long time doesn't make one a Verified Actual Gamer. It also wouldn't really fix the issues, if you then would require to run raffle.

So in conclusion. The current thing can be seen unfair for certain groups. But as it has been noted in the thread, its really hard to make anything with limited stock fair to everyone wanting one. There's always someone thinking some part was unfair towards them because they didn't get one. Unethical? How? You need to explain what part of this is "unethical".

Good Sir, I might suggest it is you who must read and think but that would be rude and unkind so I'll refrain from doing so.  I never suggested "pay-to-get-chance-of-winning" or gambling.  I suggested offering LTT forum members & paid subscribers to Floatplane / LTT an easer way to qualify for the program.

The stated purpose of the program is to help get actual gamers the opportunity to buy graphics cards at a fair price right? So why then would limiting MOST but not all of the drops to those three groups be considered gambling?  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gambling  As far as being unethical, I'll remind you I qualified that statement by saying "at worst" but I'll admit it a bit of hyperbole.  The unethical bit would be requiring people to watch every LTT vid the second it drops just to find out where on the internet they'd need go just to to sign up.  Obviously the real point of all this is to get more views/subs/revenue for LTT which is 100% proper.  I want LTT to profit.  They make great content that has enriched my life in various ways over the years I sincerely hope they continue to do so well into the future. That said though, the methods they've employed thus far stand in stark contradiction to the stated purpose of their program.  

Respectfully,

Chris

11 minutes ago, Exarkun631 said:

Good Sir, I might suggest it is you who must read and think but that would be rude and unkind so I'll refrain from doing so.  I never suggested "pay-to-get-chance-of-winning" or gambling.  I suggested offering LTT forum members & paid subscribers to Floatplane / LTT an easer way to qualify for the program.

The stated purpose of the program is to help get actual gamers the opportunity to buy graphics cards at a fair price right? So why then would limiting MOST but not all of the drops to those three groups be considered gambling?  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gambling  As far as being unethical, I'll remind you I qualified that statement by saying "at worst" but I'll admit it a bit of hyperbole.  The unethical bit would be requiring people to watch every LTT vid the second it drops just to find out where on the internet they'd need go just to to sign up.  Obviously the real point of all this is to get more views/subs/revenue for LTT which is 100% proper.  I want LTT to profit.  They make great content that has enriched my life in various ways over the years I sincerely hope they continue to do so well into the future. That said though, the methods they've employed thus far stand in stark contradiction to the stated purpose of their program.  

Respectfully,

Chris

damnnn linus reacted to my thread, I didn't even know that

17 minutes ago, Exarkun631 said:

I suggested offering LTT forum members [...] an easer way to qualify for the program.

Sounds good to me - make everyone log in with their forum accounts to buy their card. That way all the people who have come onto this thread to incessantly whinge about the minutiae of how the program works can be automatically made ineligible!

/s

pythonmegapixel

2 hours ago, Padblaze said:

Some can, depend on how its made.

1 hour ago, valenti said:

To be a public info WHEN, WHERE and HOW it was actually announced.

If it is fair, it should also be public and transparent, what happened, when and where.

It is public. They detailed what happened and why in last WAN Show. If you watch it, you will agree that there's no point leaving breadcrumbs for future generations. Better to have it all in one segment explained.

39 minutes ago, Exarkun631 said:

The stated purpose of the program is to help get actual gamers the opportunity to buy graphics cards at a fair price right? So why then would limiting MOST but not all of the drops to those three groups be considered gambling?  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gambling 

While I can't find the Canadian laws to state this clearly, the way gambling/lottery laws work is usually pretty similar. You pay to enter and get chance of winning. Sure there could be a free route, but if paying gets you better chance of winning, thats already lottery. You are really trying to bend your words, but all I read is explaining same thing I told you in other words.

Also, if the forum was made one group, what would the terms of entry be? Like would you make then so you would be in for sure? Be a member before X date? Have post count of X (for example 100 which is only post count limitation forums have) also before event started?

39 minutes ago, Exarkun631 said:

As far as being unethical, I'll remind you I qualified that statement by saying "at worst" but I'll admit it a bit of hyperbole.  The unethical bit would be requiring people to watch every LTT vid the second it drops just to find out where on the internet they'd need go just to to sign up.  Obviously the real point of all this is to get more views/subs/revenue for LTT which is 100% proper.  I want LTT to profit.  They make great content that has enriched my life in various ways over the years I sincerely hope they continue to do so well into the future. That said though, the methods they've employed thus far stand in stark contradiction to the stated purpose of their program.  

Respectfully,

Chris

Ah, so by unethical you mean they are using this as advertising opportunity? Well, then they shouldn't do it all since they get even more benefits themselves. Let retailers sell the cards by marked up pricing.

If you really think LMG gaining some more viewers because of this, and frankly any other bigger giveaway they do, please tweet at them that you don't like this event and how unethical them using their contacts to get some hardware at MSRP to people. Shame on them!

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Exarkun631 said:

Respectfully,

Chris

I'm not a lawyer so make of this as you will, but I believe offering paid subscribers an advantage runs afoul of provincial and federal gambling laws.  A dictionary's definition is absolutely not the same as federal and provincial laws. Look into the Criminal Code Sections 201 to 206 for federal law, and the Gaming Control Act for local provincial law.  Then throw in Quebec's weird-ass gambling laws as well if they wanted to include those paid subscribers as well.

E: Sorry for the triple post.  No idea how that happened.

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

3 hours ago, valenti said:

😞

There are people who still haven't figured out that the first drop has ended.

It's good that they removed it, imo. Helps reduce the amount of people who would complain about it not working, without realising that it has already ended.

Edit: to those complaining about fairness, the first drop had, what, 100 cards? For a channel of their size, it's always gonna be "first come, first serve". Having everyone start at the same page seems fair to me. 

On 3/25/2021 at 12:35 AM, Kavamale21 said:

wont be simpler to make gaming turnament? and give chance by rankings? one entry one rank one card to choose. from top to bottom as supply  last?

That is unfair though just as Linus said, it's not like everybody has a good gaming computer, hey I'm out of luck and stuck without a GPU, also each person has their own genre of games they like and are good at, you can't expect people to rank top 100 on FPS's, I think their way of giving people access to VAG now is the most fair, if they drop cards at different times of the day then pretty much everybody can have a chance at it, and if someone is either working or sleeping they wouldn't be able to join a tournament anyways.

2 hours ago, Exarkun631 said:

Respectfully,

Chris

Well, LTT has a bunch of followers who don't go on the forums or float plane, I've been following all of the LMG channels for years and this is my first post, because supporting them on YouTube and lttstore.com was enough for me, the thing is Linus wants everybody who follows LTT, the most dedicated viewers, the ones who watch every video to get the best chance because they are the ones who deserve it.

Giving people higher chance only because they're on Floatplane which is a subscription service is unfair to some of those dedicated viewers, if he shows some time of favortism to a specific group, especially if it's a group that gives him money the outrage from the rest of the followers he has (which has got to be the majority of his 13.2M subscribers) will just make him want to stop making these drops, the way they are doing it right now is at least fair to anyone, especially if they start doing them at different times so even people with different time zones will have a fair chance.

And I think such tournament would result in some difficulties with laws too, that's why ROG Rig Reboot is mainly US & CA only.

2 hours ago, Exarkun631 said:

The unethical bit would be requiring people to watch every LTT vid the second it drops just to find out where on the internet they'd need go just to to sign up.  Obviously the real point of all this is to get more views/subs/revenue for LTT which is 100% proper.  I want LTT to profit.  They make great content that has enriched my life in various ways over the years I sincerely hope they continue to do so well into the future. That said though, the methods they've employed thus far stand in stark contradiction to the stated purpose of their program.  

I've already said this before, but it's no different than people lining up outside of a physical store for days prior to a release of something . If you want to be first you have to be dedicated. This program isn't the only way to get a GPU, if you don't like how they run the program, don't participate, try you luck on restock in stores. 

It's a freaking GPU not an essential item, calm down. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've been checking the LTT channel regularly every day after work (around 4pm PST - usually when I do my youtube rounds) and I still haven't seen any announcement video on the Verified Gamer Program, only to find out today I missed it a couple days ago? When did the video go live, so I know when I should be checking for next time?

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

45 minutes ago, knight_40k said:

I've been checking the LTT channel regularly every day after work (around 4pm PST - usually when I do my youtube rounds) and I still haven't seen any announcement video on the Verified Gamer Program, only to find out today I missed it a couple days ago? When did the video go live, so I know when I should be checking for next time?

I've seen they like to upload at 10am PST or earlier, but Linus said on the WAN show that they might do some drops at different times so people from all over the world have a chance