Whats up with this Madison person? Wasnt she a ROG reboot winner a year ago?

BaidDSB

Yeah, a large chunk of the viewers loved that video (myself included) and have since been pestering Linus to hire her (myself NOT included).

Whether the pressure actually worked, or they actually hit it off from the moment they met, or she simply answered to one of their recruitment calls, only they know, though I personally highly doubt the "pressure" did anything; Linus has been at this for far too long to be pressured into something like this.

Yes, she was a winner indeed.

Since then she has applied to be LMG's social media coordinator and has recently been hired in that position.

They often mix in other hosts for TechLinked, so it doesn't just have the same host all the time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well I'll be damned. I didn't know they hired her.

I remember everyone going crazy when her winner video went up. I believe Linus actually responded saying something along the lines of "we don't currently have a position available, but when we do, she is welcome to apply through the normal channels."

I guess she did.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well I'll be damned. I didn't know they hired her.

I remember everyone going crazy when her winner video went up. I believe Linus actually responded saying something along the lines of "we don't currently have a position available, but when we do, she is welcome to apply through the normal channels."

I guess she did.

He did mention it on a WAN show like 2 or 3 months ago they were hiring for a social media coordinator and that she applied and basically said if you guys really want her to work for LMG, don't apply so I have to hire her lol. (probably not exact words, but something along these lines if memory serves me enough yet)

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

He did mention it on a WAN show like 2 or 3 months ago they were hiring for a social media coordinator and that she applied and basically said if you guys really want her to work for LMG, don't apply so I have to hire her lol. (probably not exact words, but something along these lines if memory serves me enough yet)

He said that she was - at the time of the filming of that episode - the best candidate that had applied so far.

So while he didn't outright say she was gonna be hired, he heavily implied that unless another stellar candidate showed up out of nowhere, it was a near certainty that she'd get the job.

And good for her - she earned it. She didn't get hired because fans wanted her to (though certainly, being popular among the fanbase is a bonus). She got the job because she was qualified and capable. Let's not forget that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

They said that she applied multiple times before

For a different position.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

40 minutes ago, Benji said:

Let's be real here for a second: She got the job because she was the best candidate at that given time.

Okay? But what is even your point with this? That literally describes every job interview, ever.

Very rarely is a person applying (or even if they get the job), the best person in the world for this position. Every time you ever get a job, it's because you were the best candidate at that given time.

They said that she applied multiple times before.

She applied multiple times to LMG, as a business. For different roles. Ones she wasn't as qualified for.

For this role, as Social Media manager, she was very qualified for. You're acting as if this is some kind of pity hire.

I guess, since she's probably (in spite of her position that is mainly off-camera) going to be a on-camera mainstay, I'll be giving more attention to her and "give her another chance" despite her, in my opinion, snarky behaviour during the ROG Reboot which I found totally distasteful.

What exactly did you find distasteful about her previous on-screen appearance, and why?

Everyone has different preferences in what they want from a host. Being snarky, for example, might be "distasteful" to some, but incredibly entertaining and satisfying for others.

But given the fact that exactly that attracted so many people, I would say that she is definitely destined for the job as a social media manager - she knows how to get people engaged and talking. Maybe it was done just for that video, who knows? I'm certainly interested in seeing where the path with her goes.

I'm interested in seeing how her career does as well.

But I just wanted to emphasize that she was hired because she was qualified and an excellent candidate. Period.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Benji said:

I found her forced-funny "I know it better; duh" behaviour not very funny. But I actually did like her appearance on Techlinked.

Now let's see if/how she establishes herself. I mean, it was very clear that she wanted to work there and now she got there because she is basically made for her social media manager position.

You also have to take her initial appearance for what it was:

She was a fan guest who won a contest. Perhaps she was "playing a personality" or perhaps she was just being herself. Either way, it doesn't really reflect much on what she could be like as a host, which is an entirely different type of job compared to being a one-time fan guest who won a contest.

Either way, I haven't seen her TechLinked appearance yet, so I can't comment on that.

In time, as with all the other hosts, she'll get even better. I wouldn't expect her to be on camera a lot, unless fans fall in love with her on-camera persona and her videos have big spikes. As Social Media Manager, she's gonna be pretty busy with her day to day job as it is.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You also have to take her initial appearance for what it was:

She was a fan guest who won a contest. Perhaps she was "playing a personality" or perhaps she was just being herself. Either way, it doesn't really reflect much on what she could be like as a host, which is an entirely different type of job compared to being a one-time fan guest who won a contest.

Either way, I haven't seen her TechLinked appearance yet, so I can't comment on that.

In time, as with all the other hosts, she'll get even better. I wouldn't expect her to be on camera a lot, unless fans fall in love with her on-camera persona and her videos have big spikes. As Social Media Manager, she's gonna be pretty busy with her day to day job as it is.

I think she did well on the new techlinked considering its her first time on any LTT video after being hired

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

She's been doing a few Floatplane exclusive videos (mostly behind the camera interviewing other staff, but also one in front of the camera). She hosted today's TechLinked. She's also had some cameo appearances in a couple videos not yet released on YT.

Can't pay people to just sit around on Facebook all day making memes. LTT may as well just get their moneys worth out of her and it's pretty obvious from all the #hiremadison comments people want to see her. She did pretty well on today's TechLinked so if she wants to be in a more on-screen role then I think it could work. Some people like being on camera, some people don't. She seems to be the former so I expect to see more of her. Maybe not hosting LTT videos but definitely small appearances, maybe some FP exclusives or the occasional TechLinked.

Also I kinda want to see a scrapyard wars of Madison vs Dennis where they're given $500 and have to buy/build the best PC.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

I think she did well on the new techlinked considering its her first time on any LTT video after being hired

That's good to hear. Sometimes it can be a bit daunting, but some people are just more of a natural at it than others.

I think I maybe once ever said "Hire Madison" but...her ROG Reboot video is the ONLY LTT video I have ever watched more than once. i think I'm up to like 10 re-watchings now? And I don't skip around, the entire thing is gold. Her TechLinked video was solid, though she's still nervous in front of the camera (at least on that set; she's clearly more comfortable at home -- first timer nerves, most people have them. They'll pass.) I think she's going to make a great host. LTT having some female energy helps break up the sasuage fest that is tech youtube.

Even when they had Sarah on The Wan Show it was a breath of fresh air from just the Luke/Linus dynamic. I've seen the other podcast they do...less interested in that. But yeah, it will be nice to have girls in the videos once again (since Max left, basically). The fact that Madison is also damn near perfect to a LOT of people's definition of beauty also helps. Half of them will find her personality fun, the other half will just want to stare at her. Either way, eyeballs on media, which is kinda, ya know, the point? To be clear, I am not making a judgement on this either way; I'm calling a grape a grape.

3 minutes ago, Tillamook233 said:

Confused me at first too. But yep. She is. I think they still need to put her image on the linusmediagroup.com page though.

I believe she's technically still in her probation period, where they normally don't reveal their probationary workers. It can be pretty awkward if someone doesn't stay on beyond their probationary period and people are asking where that person is. I think with Madison they were a bit more relaxed with the probationary period stuff since it wasn't exactly a secret who she was or that they hired her.

There's a couple of other new hires that aren't on the LMG staff page yet. You'll see them listed in the credits of videos they're involved in under aliases like "A robot" or "Not Linus".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Know what, for her first hosting gig on TL...I honestly think she did a good job. Riley was there to push her along nicely but all in all...great appearance.

I was wondering who TF that new person was hosting techlinked yesterday. She was annoying as hell and her voice made me mute the damn thing and read the captions. Oh well hopefully she doesn't do any more videos, and just does behind the camera stuff from now on.

22 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

I was wondering who TF that new person was hosting techlinked yesterday. She was annoying as hell and her voice made me mute the damn thing and read the captions. Oh well hopefully she doesn't do any more videos, and just does behind the camera stuff from now on.

I'm surprised anyone could have such a strong reaction? I just started a few seconds of the clip, and her voice is... 100% totally normal. It's a normal adult-in-her-20's female voice.

It's not too high pitched, or too deep, or anything that would instantly put me off.

I'm curious why you don't like her presentation that much? As for her being "annoying", I mean, here at least, she's a "Riley-lite". If you find her annoying, I'm not sure how you can watch any TechLinked hosted by Riley, as he's basically that, but amped up even more.

I am totally on board with this. Their ROG Reboot was so entertaining. And it's about time that there are some non dudes as part of the staff that appears more in videos (even if it's not their primary job responsibility). I know this has happened in the past, but I can't think of any where they were the host or focus of the video. I have already seen Madison a few times popping in to other videos, even if they don't say anything, it's clear they have personality in droves. I would love it if this wasn't just a one off. Representation and treatment of AFAB folks in tech/gamer spaces can be pretty garbage in my experience, especially on the internet. 10/10 would watch more Madison content.

i never laughed so much watching that rog winner episode. 

she was hilarious. 

and i just learned she works there and saw her on tech tips i think?

she's great.

good job Madison. i look forward to seeing you more often on LMG videos.

1 hour ago, DriftMan said:

How many Madison threads does it take for it to shettle down...

I think that clip contains your answer  😛

Madison is legitimately great

They see me floatin', they hatin'... patrolling they tryin' to catch me flyin' economy

Seems to be pretty hit and miss. Depends on the content - I don't like it when people overact. 

On 2/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, BaidDSB said:

She works in LTT now?

As others have said she is a recent hire. She seems to get on with Linus like a house on fire, one of the only people i've seen at LTT that seems like she could go tit for tat when it comes to witty banter with Linus