Massdrop (now just Drop) launches the HD 8xx at $1100 USD

Aereldor

Niche news

As part of their ongoing collaboration with Sennheiser, Drop (formerly Massdrop) has launched the HD 8xx, based on the Sennheiser HD 800s, for $1100, the next step up after their ever-popular HD 58x and 6xx. That said, it's quite a way off from the price of those headphones, coming in at $1100. Understandable - the HD 800s sell for $1700, this Drop edition does make them more attainable. 

They've already had almost 300 orders within a few hours of opening.

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones/

In their words- 

The HD 8XX is based on the HD 800S; a flagship audiophile headphone produced by our partners at Sennheiser. Like the HD 800S, the HD 8XX is made in Germany at Sennheiser’s HQ factory. Based on community requests, we worked with Sennheiser to tune the housing resonance to add low end extension, while we adjusted the driver damping to create midrange balance and reveal treble detail. Introducing the Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX: class-leading headphones with a revised tuning, signature Drop color accents, and unrivaled performance.

wkOLbePfS7CQElMrpXrI_PC.png?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=fill&w=820&h=547&bg=f0f0f0&dpr=1&q=70

I still can't afford these at $1100, but down 35% from their original price, they're a no-brainer for anyone who was thinking about the HD 800S. However, I don't think they'll enjoy the widespread popularity of the 58x and 6xx, given that it's 5-7x the price. I am, however, excited about the ongoing collaboration, possible for some future discounted IEMs or a $50-70 HD 55x.

19 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Understandable - the HD 800s sell for $1700, 

Correction, 1700 is MSRP:

image.thumb.png.32290472be1639e08edab1819d5ab982.pnghttps://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-800-Reference-Headphone/dp/B00PXLX2TC

History shows it tends to be on sale between $1400-1500

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00PXLX2TC

The HD8xx also lacks a balanced cable, which adds to the price tag for the end user as they need to pick one up externally.

t4aujSUeRmGCAKav8KI5_8xx-fR-Copy-2.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=fill&w=820&h=547&bg=f0f0f0&dpr=1&q=70

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Meanwhile Reddit's just like:

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

they're a no-brainer for anyone who was thinking about the HD 800S

Keep in mind that they've played with the mids and low end, so it's not quite a no brainer since it's not an HD 800 S.

🤔 Hm...

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

I still can't afford these at $1100, but down 35% from their original price, they're a no-brainer for anyone who was thinking about the HD 800S.

"No brainer" is a bit of an exaggeration, methinks. Used market has Sennheiser HD 800 S's going for $1,100.

Also, uncertain how well Drop will handle customer queries. I've heard poor feedback on their KBDfans 5° 60% Aluminum Mechanical Keyboard Case, as well as their Massdrop x Focal Elex Headphones. The keyboard case might not be as applicable to headphones, but it does highlight a rather aloof attitude towards customer service -- citing the customer's "color blind" for shipping the wrong item? Oh dear. For the headphones, it seems Drop isn't willing to invest the time and energy into fixing the Focal Elex's rattly/dying drivers and clipping issues (as I understand it, Focal's taking the laissez-faire route and left QC and product support in Drop's hands).

Second also, keep in mind that Drop's holding the customer's money hostage until Nov 2021, if their expected shipping ETA is accurate:

unknown.png

That's a rather long wait time. Plenty of time for the competition to release their own products to edge out the HD 8XX's.

...Is just my take on the topic. 😁

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Somewhat related but somewhat off topic, I just received my 58x Jubilees yesterday (ordered them at the beginning of January, knew it would take a while because of how Drop operates but man that was a long wait). Anyways, I really only came to personally apologize to any audiophiles in here for all of the times that I literally rolled my eyes at them. These headphones are the best thing I've ever listened to in my life. I thought my home theater setup was good but my god, I was wrong for sure. And these aren't even anywhere close to the top end. I'm sure diminishing returns kicks in pretty quickly from here but still, mind blown.

18 hours ago, NinJake said:

"...Do I really need these now?" *Looks at prices of newest CPUs and GPUs*

-Sigh- Here we go again.

They started mining with the headphones now 😮

1000+$ for headphones is insane for me. But of course there are different price points 🙂

I edit my posts more often than not

My shure SRH 840 is fine as it is.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

My shure SRH 840 is fine as it is.

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

1000+$ for headphones is insane for me. But of course there are different price points 🙂

Yep, my KZ ZSAs are working fine for me. Over 2 years now, cost me $17. Highest-end headphones I've ever owned were $30 Superlux HD 681 EVOs, although I've used nicer ones.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Yep, my KZ ZSAs are working fine for me. Over 2 years now, cost me $17. Highest-end headphones I've ever owned were $30 Superlux HD 681 EVOs, although I've used nicer ones.

I've got used speakers (Audioengine A5+ - reportedly 400$€£ when new) and headphones 35€ - iSK HF2010 and I really don't find the 35€ speakers so much worse.

Edit: I guess the headphones are lower sound quality, but not 10x...

I edit my posts more often than not

Massdrop Dropped Mass

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker