Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

I was just wondering though, I may have overlooked it but I couldn't find it anywhere but: without all the machinery of course, but with all the materials and everything, how much has this amazing project set you back? Just curious really, curious how do-able such a project is in terms of money. Thanks! 

As @EmeraldFlame mentioned! I made all the parts myself from scratch using measurements from the actual parts themselves (bar the GPU water block which was by eye as it hadn't arrived). Took a while, but was definitely worth it IMO. I'll try to see if I can upload them tonight for everyone, bear in mind that the Inventor files have no shaders or textures applied and are just bare models. I did all the rendering in Blender using Cycles so the shaders etc. are in those files. I also haven't included things like the radiator fins as again I made that in Blender as it was more efficient poly-wise.

That's perfectly fine as my inventor materials library doesn't work. Even if they did have textures, I wouldn't be able to see them anyway

Bah, skills you learn on the way.  Money?  Well, it's not as bad as you'd expect.  You'd be amazed how far you can push funds with careful planning and forethought.

Aah I think that's mostly some wacky perspective going on there.  It actually leans ever so slightly back onto the heavier sections of the stand itself.  It's not going anywhere without a strong push.

Better have a way of making sure that no one can accidently knock it over :( Because if that thing were to tip, the results would not be very nice D:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Nice to see you still going. I remember when their were just those beautiful renders up. Great work (: 

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Are are you Tony Stark's son or something?? :PAmazing quality build!

Haha if only, what I wouldn't give to have access to that sort of manufacturing tech, although I wonder if it would make it more boring? Thanks btw :D

I was just wondering though, I may have overlooked it but I couldn't find it anywhere but: without all the machinery of course, but with all the materials and everything, how much has this amazing project set you back? Just curious really, curious how do-able such a project is in terms of money. Thanks!

Whilst it's not a cheap project, it's nowhere near as bad as you may think. The machining, plating and materials probably total £750-800? The machining itself adds up to a similar sum as a high end case really. The plating was a lot more expensive than I initially planned as I didn't realise how many steps were involved for the materials I was using. Hardware wise, not having to pay for the WC gear, the i7 nor the SSD really has helped a lot.

That's perfectly fine as my inventor materials library doesn't work. Even if they did have textures, I wouldn't be able to see them anyway

Gah I knew there was something I needed to do! I was rushing to get this update out as. I was meeting a friend straight after, I'll look into uploading the files tonight, just need to zip them up.

Better have a way of making sure that no one can accidently knock it over :( Because if that thing were to tip, the results would not be very nice D:

They won't be able to, trust me. If somebody can accidentally knock this thing over when it's in its stand, then they could knock over almost any rig. The base has a wide footprint, the rig itself is also rather heavy, so it's nice and stable.

Nice to see you still going. I remember when their were just those beautiful renders up. Great work (:

It's been quite a long time coming hasn't it? Hard to believe it's been going since March on here, and that planning began in October last year! Feels like yesterday when it was just an idea floating around in the aether.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

So can the briefcase fit the whole rig on its board thing? that would have to be big, no? (sorry if o'm wrong hard to get size through a screen)

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

How is the PCI-e extension cable working? No bottleneck or any decrease in performance? I'm thinking about planning a whole case where I'd like to turn the videocard. (Unfortunately I've only found ugly grey ones so far. But I guess it can be painted.)
But you probably haven't tested it yet.
Good job BTW! :D

Loving the work man, your attention to detail is outstanding!

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

So can the briefcase fit the whole rig on its board thing? that would have to be big, no? (sorry if o'm wrong hard to get size through a screen)

Yup it fits the whole thing, so indeed it's pretty large.  Although that being said, it's not unwieldy, about the same size as an NZXT Phantom original.  The stand system fits into the roof of the case in a flatpack manner.

How is the PCI-e extension cable working? No bottleneck or any decrease in performance? I'm thinking about planning a whole case where I'd like to turn the videocard. (Unfortunately I've only found ugly grey ones so far. But I guess it can be painted.)

But you probably haven't tested it yet.

Good job BTW! :D

You're right in that I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.  Although from the resources I've found, they only seem to cause issues in SLI/Crossfire configs, even then, if you use sufficiently high quality ones things can work out.

Loving the work man, your attention to detail is outstanding!

Thanks man!

UPDATE

Well this certainly wasn't an update that I ever wanted to have to make, but it appears I have hit a snag.

Today when I was putting the frame down I managed to stumble and it slipped out of my grip... and landed on the floor corner first.  Naturally, the corner completely shattered, taking a large section out of the panel.  Sadly this extended through one of the main water channels, meaning it can't be repaired.  Took a mighty chunk out of the wood flooring though, talk about a hefty hit!  The components themselves seem to be okay, it didn't land on them and they don't seem to have suffered.  I'll assemble them all again and check thoroughly, however, that everything is still functioning.

So what does this mean for Loramentum?  Not much.  I'm going to be having another block milled, I will also improve the design a little on the way, making it lighter weight and more efficient.  It's annoying, but there's not much else to do really.  No way can I let this build slide into the abyss, no it will rise even better than before, and hopefully it will still be ready for iSeries.

Enjoy the carnage!  :D

olqeqj.jpg

Qk3vWZ.jpg

:C

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is why an all-acrylic design might not have been the best...

Good luck!

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

awh man :( that sucks ! hope it won't be too long before we get an update of the new and improved block ;D 

and about the floor.. that's almost as bad as the damage on your block :( 

Ouch. Good luck bro.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is why an all-acrylic design might not have been the best...

Good luck!

To be fair, I reckon if I had dropped say my other rig it would have been even worse, despite being steel.  Only one corner was mangled, it's just unfortunate that the corner was rather important, had it landed on the SSD corner then it would have been fine.

Glad you are still motivated to continue the build. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the project, despite the setback :)

No way am I letting go of this baby that easily, no I owe it to everybody who's followed this topic to see it through to completion.  The next version will be even cooler than how it is now, although it'll look mostly the same from the front.

awh man :( that sucks ! hope it won't be too long before we get an update of the new and improved block ;D 

and about the floor.. that's almost as bad as the damage on your block :(

I'm working on the new model as I type.  Hopefully it won't be too long, machining can always be a bit of a gamble in terms of deadlines though.  I'll work on wiring etc. in the meantime so things can progress as quickly as possible.

Bah, skills you learn on the way.  Money?  Well, it's not as bad as you'd expect.  You'd be amazed how far you can push funds with careful planning and forethought.

Aah I think that's mostly some wacky perspective going on there.  It actually leans ever so slightly back onto the heavier sections of the stand itself.  It's not going anywhere without a strong push.

I am sure you learn the skills along the way. Just like I do in flying. :)

How to you stretch funds though? I go on pcpartpicker and find myself way over budget before I can even think about modding and watercooling.

That's not good :(

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

/ sadface

ah well, a new one and better

too bad that these plastics break this way (not that it would be anything different from this height)

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

u make mi cri  :(

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

:(

ALL I HAVE TO SAY.....

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |