I was born in the 80s am I the only gamer left that still has a dvdrom drive in there case?

nelska
On 12/25/2020 at 11:07 PM, whm1974 said:

Why wouldn't a ODD make sense in a mATX case?

but... my airflows! 

20201226_021037.jpg.f1a878ab03356d81ffead608d70969fa.jpg

(there's an intake at the backside, don't get fooled by it not having a "mesh front") 

On 12/25/2020 at 11:07 PM, whm1974 said:

mATX isn't all that small considering that PSUs placed in the bottom of cases

20201226_021037.jpg.f1a878ab03356d81ffead608d70969fa.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

but... my airflows! 

(there's an intake at the backside, don't get fooled by it not having a "mesh front") 

I would buy an ATX with PSU placed at the top instead with no mesh there. Spills and such.

Have one good size Fan in front.  As of now I used one 5 1/2 Bay in current case.

So no reason to have Mesh at the Top the Case. My concern are Drink Spills

I currently have a UHD Blu-ray player in my main build, and occasionally use a standard Blu-ray drive on the test bench. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

15 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I would buy an ATX with PSU placed at the top instead with no mesh there. Spills and such.

Have one good size Fan in front.  As of now I used one 5 1/2 Bay in current case.

So no reason to have Mesh at the Top the Case. My concern are Drink Spills

it's funny my psu actually acts as a second exhaust and I'm pretty sure it helps cooling the whole pc and especially the cpu... 

I know they tested it and stuff but I have tested it too and a psu at the bottom completely isolated (airflow wise) doesn't make sense imo.

and yeah having a whole in the top of a case, and also have USB connections etc there doesn't make sense either... (for obvious reasons) 

2 hours ago, pm18570 said:

I bought a case with no drive bay without thinking. Everything that needs a disc to install is a huge inconvenience. I also don't buy into the idea that people don't want to own physical copies of their media. There is something to be said for spending money on something and having physical possession of it.

Well you could just buy an external drive if that's a concern but I don't really miss a disc drive in my pc, you can download basically *almost* everything you'd need a disc for, maybe with the exception of lossless audio etc. 

don't get me wrong I like having physical media, but in the end I'll just rip it anyway because my phone can't play CDs, and even on my laptop it's more convenient to have stuff stored as mp3 or something. 

And most games you can't get on disc anyway anymore (except older ones) 

so yeah physical media is cool but you don't need it in *every* device imo. 

Also a hard drive is physical too, it only really starts becoming an issue with DRM, because that basically means you don't own any media! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

it's funny my psu actually acts as a second exhaust and I'm pretty sure it helps cooling the whole pc and especially the cpu... 

I know they tested it and stuff but I have tested it too and a psu at the bottom completely isolated (airflow wise) doesn't make sense imo.

and yeah having a whole in the top of a case, and also have USB connections etc there doesn't make sense either... (for obvious reasons) 

I perfer a filter at the bottom of the case and a PSU with a extra fan. Blow air and blow heat out of  the PSU.

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well you could just buy an external drive if that's a concern but I don't really miss a disc drive in my pc, you can download basically *almost* everything you'd need a disc for, maybe with the exception of lossless audio etc. 

don't get me wrong I like having physical media, but in the end I'll just rip it anyway because my phone can't play CDs, and even on my laptop it's more convenient to have stuff stored as mp3 or something. 

And most games you can't get on disc anyway anymore (except older ones) 

so yeah physical media is cool but you don't need it in *every* device imo. 

Also a hard drive is physical too, it only really starts becoming an issue with DRM, because that basically means you don't own any media! 

Don't get me wrong, I do back things up to both local drives and the cloud. There's a use case for all those things. All I'm saying is that when your rights are only digital, it's like having no rights at all. You're entirely at the mercy of those online services and whether their businesses/business models continue into the future. I think your experience may be different than mine, and that's something to be thankful for, for sure!

Whenever I need to interact with one of these companies regarding their software, it's absolutely terrible, if support exists at all. Trusting them to house my software licenses, and disclose technical requirements for those things (otherwise known as supporting them), has so far not been something they've been trustworthy with. I think there's an inherent conflict of interest there, at least to me.

IMG_8343.thumb.jpg.b388133d259351a5a7b8923ec3db3fcb.jpg

I was born in the late 60s. Have replaced the DVD drives with SSD cages for RAID storage (i.e., using Windows Storage Spaces). Wanted to upgrade to a new casing, but most new casings no longer have front 5.25 inch bays anymore.

Have two USB based DVD-RW drives for just in case usage - which is very rarely. 😂  

1 minute ago, Paolo Pandas said:

~Snipped Photo~

I was born in the late 60s. Have replaced the DVD drives with SSD cages for RAID storage (i.e., using Windows Storage Spaces). Wanted to upgrade to a new casing, but most new casings no longer have front 5.25 inch bays anymore.

Have two USB based DVD-RW drives for just in case usage - which is very rarely. 😂  

I wish computer cases still did have front 5.25 inch bays (I still love the Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow though).

I actually bought a Blu Ray 5.25" for my PC for Blu Ray movies and have a DVD/CD Combo with Lightscribe that I use for everything else. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If one made home server like linus did, they would be great.

But now I just want them out of there, so one can get small builds that get closer to the console sizes.

We aren't there quite yet, but it's nice we have more options now than before.

I wish I had a DVD ROM in my PC, but the case I got doesn't have a slot for it. I just borrow my brother's USB drive whenever I need it.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

8 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I wish I had a DVD ROM in my PC, but the case I got doesn't have a slot for it. I just borrow my brother's USB drive whenever I need it.

Reminded me of how far we came...

1. 1980s - Buy CDs and play on Walkman.
  2. 1990s - Buy CDs, rip into mp3, play on PC and mp3 player.
  3. 2000s - What CD? Buy music online, play on PC and mobiles.

Can no longer find CDs in the place where I am from. But vinyl records are coming back. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Paolo Pandas said:

1990s - Buy CDs, rip into mp3, play on PC and mp3 player.

Forget ripping them into mp3. I would just stick the CD into the PC whenever I wanted to play music. And I did that in the mid-late 2000s.

I was young and not very tech-savvy at the time.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I haven't had a case with an ODD bay since the beginning of 2016, and I think the last time I used an ODD before that may have been in like 2013 to reinstall Skyrim (which I am pretty sure was the last game I owned on disc). 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I don't have a drive in my case, but I always keep a USB one around. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I was born in the 60's and I still have a DVD-RW in my rig. Push come to shove I can probably locate a CD-RW drive still.

39 minutes ago, Fabri91 said:

You're not the only one:

Spoiler

q3axi0k8o8z51.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=443dcbbc624e2a151c48874099be883e41ec9c7b

We have the same Blu-ray drive. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah. My choice to not build a new PC in the last couple of months was ultimately made because I couldn't find a decent high-airflow case with an optical drive slot. I'm hoping I'll be able to find one when DDR5 CPUs and mobos are out.

I rarely use my optical drive, but when I need it, I need it and there's no getting around that. I have lots of music CDs, movie DVDs, and old archives. And not everything is available on streaming services, and as time goes-on, there will likely be lost many shows, movies, and music except for when they're owned on disc. Torrents of those things will disappear, too, eventually. And movie downloads are typically not as good in quality, and who wants to have to use 4+ GB of drive space for each movie they have?

I don't use optical drives to store new stuff, but I do use them to read existing stuff - and media continues to be sold on disc and I continue to grow my disc-based library. I will probably continue to have uses for an optical drive in another 10 years.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

If I ever get a mew case, I'll probably mount one of those external DVD drives to the back of my monitor or something to just have one in handy. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I have an external disc reader at a storage room somewhere just in case disks are making a comeback. The power of doubling tech every few years really shows itself over the last few decades. I can't wait to see the next frontier to be approached in tech

15 hours ago, Fabri91 said:

You're not the only one:

q3axi0k8o8z51.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=443dcbbc624e2a151c48874099be883e41ec9c7b

n2AoHWX.jpg

6TCTHHr.jpg

look at that beast machine for flight simulator lol.

I build my current Rig in 2013 and i still bought a DVD Drive for it altough every component that could be upgraded is pretty much maxed out right now, the DVD Player stayed. But in my next rig that i will probably build soon, i see absolutely no need for a DVD Player. If you have use-cases for one i think a extrenal drive is the better Solution.

Next time I swap my case I might get one with a 5.25” bay (if I can find one) for a blu ray drive 

I hope you paid for that bread.

I'm born in the 90's and still have a lot of older games that run from CDs and DVDs. But i didn't let that impact my case choice. I just went ahead and bought a external DVD drive connected via USB for 15€ off amazon. Now i can still enjoy these old games when i want to and also have a good looking case ;)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.