I think someone is using LINUS TECH TIPS footage without permission. Can we copy strike him?

OptimusPrime23

Guys, I was just searching for the video with Shroud and Paul when I suddenly stumbled upon this video. Since you uses Linus Tech Tips footage in his video can we copy strike him? I mean the guy lives in India for god's sake! There's no way he possibly could have gotten permission!

This is the guy: < removed by moderation >

P.S. He has an even worse fashion sense than Linus, which I thought was impossible.

The Verge did copystrike Bitwit right? Can we do the same?

Edited by LogicalDrm
Insufficient information

um I don't think so.

so how exactly is he using the content? 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

9 hours ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

Guys, I was just searching for the video with Shroud and Paul when I suddenly stumbled upon this video. Since you uses Linus Tech Tips footage in his video can we copy strike him? I mean the guy lives in India for god's sake! There's no way he possibly could have gotten permission!

This is the guy:

P.S. He has an even worse fashion sense than Linus, which I thought was impossible.

Ummm I can't even understand a word that Indian guy is saying and secondary....Did he get permission from the LTT to use their videos in his channel?  

Edited by LogicalDrm

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

5 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

um I don't think so.

It looks like this video is breaking down Linus's one regarding "Does High FPS make you a better gamer?" for Indian viewers.

@OptimusPrime23 that'll be for LMG to file the video to the taken down, not for us to do for obvious reasons. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

um I don't think so.

It's at 0:50. Just skip everything else. My eyes, my poor ears!

While I didn't watch the whole video, nor do I understand what he is saying, in my opinion this would be fair use. He didn't just re-upload a copy of the video, he is actively commenting on it and has the LTT video in a small portion of the screen. 

Edit: If LMG does think the video is infringing on their copyrighted material, that is up to them or more likely the company that does it for them (totally blanking on the name) to file a claim.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It looks like this video is breaking down Linus's one regarding "Does High FPS make you a better gamer?" for Indian viewers.

@OptimusPrime23 that'll be for LMG to file the video to the taken down, not for us to do for obvious reasons. 

Yes, but they probably don't even know about this! Thats what I'm saying!

16 minutes ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

I mean the guy lives in India for god's sake! There's no way he possibly could have gotten permission!

What does their country have to do with whether or not they're able to ask permission to use their video? Indian's have email too.

I quickly scrubbed through the video and it seems that he is providing commentary and explanation of the video in Hindi (or whatever language that is?). I can't understand what he's saying but it seems as if he's discussing the video and trying to simplify it and explain what the video is discussing and testing and is going in to further detail about what they're testing and why refresh rate matters for competitive gaming. (I don't speak Hindi so I could be completely wrong)

I can't speak on behalf of LTT, but I don't think @LinusTech would have much issue with the video. However, I do hope that he asked for permission first before using so much of their footage. If anything for his own benefit just to prevent it from being automatically copyright claimed by the system. All it takes is sending an email to the LTT business email address on their youtube page and asking permission.

16 minutes ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

You too can have terrible fashion sense! lttstore.com

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You should probably look into fair use laws. No need for permission from LTT as this seems well within the bounds of fair use. 

Even if it doesn't, why do you want to copy strike him?: Seems like he's genuinely providing commentary and at the very least, translating for Indian viewers if they don't understand English. He's not just reuploading the video. 

indian here, that guy is speaking hindi (a very common language here) in a very weird tone

as for what he's actually doing, this is accurate, though the title is misleading

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
spelling lol

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What does their country have to do with whether or not they're able to ask permission to use their video? Indian's have email too.

I quickly scrubbed through the video and it seems that he is providing commentary and explanation of the video in Hindi (or whatever language that is?). I can't understand what he's saying but it seems as if he's discussing the video and trying to simplify it and explain what the video is discussing and testing and is going in to further detail about what they're testing and why refresh rate matters for competitive gaming. (I don't speak Hindi so I could be completely wrong)

I don't think @LinusTech would have much issue with the video, but I do hope that he asked for permission first before using so much of their footage. If anything for his own benefit just to prevent it from being automatically copyright claimed by the system. All it takes is sending an email to the LTT business email address on their youtube page and asking permission.

You can have terrible fashion sense too! lttstore.com

I guess if anything, we should be more concerned about the use of "ft Linus Tech Tips" as that does seem perhaps a bit misleading since from our limited understanding this is not an official collaboration of any kind. 

Edited by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito
Rewrote sentence for clarity. Brain stopped working midway.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I guess if anything, we should be more concerned about the use of "ft Linus Tech Tips" as that does seem perhaps a bit misleading since from our limited understanding this is not an official collaboration of any kind. 

Ah yes! The title! I clicked that video because It had ft.Linus Tech Tips! So isn't that misleading? Can't we take some action?

Just now, OptimusPrime23 said:

Ah yes! The title! I clicked that video because It had ft.Linus Tech Tips! So isn't that misleading? Can't we take some action?

Lol if every video with a misleading title could be removed, there wouldn't be many videos left on Youtube. 

4 minutes ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

From my limited understanding, this wouldn't warrant any action from YouTube even though their definition of "misleading" in their report system is loosely defined. To me however, this is not as bad as click bait titles and those are everywhere on YouTube. Heck even Linus was guilty of it in the past.

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Lol if every video with a misleading title could be removed, there wouldn't be many videos left on Youtube. 

Yeah but it said featuring Linus Tech Tips, but Linus wasn't there. He just used some of Linus Tech Tips footage. Linus wasn't with him.

6 minutes ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

You sound like a lawyer arguing for a case thats already has been closed. Why are you trying so hard to get this video removed? What harm will a video of some indian guy explaining a ltt video for indian viewers who couldn't understand English that he thought was really interesting.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, OptimusPrime23 said:

Yeah but it said featuring Linus Tech Tips, but Linus wasn't there. He just used some of Linus Tech Tips footage. Linus wasn't with him.

It said ft. LinusTechTips, and it did feature a Linus Tech Tips video. It didn't say "Collab with Linus from LTT!" or something like that. In my opinion there are far worse examples of misleading titles. As I said in an earlier comment, if the LTT team does have a problem with it, they will deal with it. Theres nothing you can do other than contact them, which Linus has already been tagged in this thread so there's not much else you can do. 

* thread locked *

@OptimusPrime23 thanks for bringing this up, but I suggest that you calm down and take a step back, from the looks of it, it seems he isn't doing anything wrong, also, the language spoken and the "fashion sense" of the host has no bearing on the issue at hand, so I suggest you be respectful. This forum is multicultural and includes people from all around the world speaking all sorts of different languages.

Still, I'll tag some people so they can have a look, but it seems fine.

@LinusTech

@CPotter

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I had nothing to do with the video and "featuring Linus Tech Tips" is a little misleading. I also prefer when people send me a quick email to ask to liberally use footage like this, but there's nothing legally wrong with what he's done as far as I can tell.