OnePlus erases data from phones running Open Beta

Pieterv24

Summary

OnePlus seems to have made a mistake while rolling out their latest update. This mistake has caused some phones running the Open Beta version of their operating system (Oxygen OS) to automatically install an update to the stable branch of their OS, triggering a full wipe of the system. This has caused users to lose tall the data they hadn't backed up. 

Oneplus has since halted the rollout of their latest OTA due to "investigating user reports"  and have confirmed this to be a bug. 

Quotes

It seems like you were one of the users that was affected by the unintentional rollout of 11.0.1.1 to Open Beta 3 users. Regrettably, there isn't a way of recovering your data if you didn't have a prior backup.

My thoughts

As one of the affected users I believe OnePlus has a major screw up on their hands. Automatically installing an update is already bad enough. But also letting an error slip that causes the phone to perform a full wipe is something that should never be possible without the users express signoff. 

Sources

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygen-os-update-erased-my-phone.1340786/

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-11-0-1-1-for-the-oneplus-8-and-oneplus-8-pro.1340016/

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-11-0-1-1-for-the-oneplus-8-and-oneplus-8-pro.1340016/

Ouch. Though people should not be running betas on their main devices. Does OnePlus or Android have a nightly backup option? If so this shouldn't affect people too much. They can just restore if this wiped their data. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If you run beta software, expect issues like these...

But honestly, I still don't understand why the OS and your personal files (images/videos) are not separated on Android.

Wipe the OS(and other apps installed), but keep the files in your personal stuff safe... It shouldn't be that hard to code. Even more so with beta firmwares where things can get buggy and require a format.

Even on Windows, MS figured it out (somewhat, still buggy, is not a perfect wipe and driver issues may persist) with their reset feature that basically keeps your User folder intact.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Haha, oh well. Anyone doing an open beta should expect the possibility of that happening. Can't say I feel any sympathy.

Lessons:

1. Don't do open betas on a phone that's your main
  2. Backup
  3. Backup again.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Those pictures and videos you had? Don't settle for those. Capture new ones. 

All your contacts gone? You weren't gonna settle with your current circle of friends were you? Find new contacts! 

#NeverSettle

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, oh well. Anyone doing an open beta should expect the possibility of that happening. Can't say I feel any sympathy.

Lessons:

1. Don't do open betas on a phone that's your main
  2. Backup
  3. Backup again.

Whilst I agree that by running an open beta you accept some risk in form of bugs/buggy behavior, crashes, data loss/corruption. 

It is the way in which this instance happened that I believe OnePlus fucked up. Mainly due to the Update causing the issue being installed automatically instead and giving the user only an option to restart after which the device is wiped. 

While usually the user has to install the update theirselves. 

Another reason I don't think this applies here is because the actual software/update that was installed that caused the issue was actually the stable branch, thus not the open beta, hence it should have never had this behavior build in in the first place. 

I might be lucky enough to have my important data backed up. But this is still a big mistake IMO

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Those pictures and videos you had? Don't settle for those. Capture new ones. 

All your contacts gone? You weren't gonna settle with your current circle of friends were you? Find new contacts! 

#NeverSettle

Settling is such a weak mindset, you accept what has happened. 

Inperfection of a craft.... Yada yada yada 

1 minute ago, Pieterv24 said:

Whilst I agree that by running an open beta you accept some risk in form of bugs/buggy behavior, crashes, data loss/corruption. 

It is the way in which this instance happened that I believe OnePlus fucked up. Mainly due to the Update causing the issue being installed automatically instead and giving the user only an option to restart after which the device is wiped. 

While usually the user has to install the update theirselves. 

Another reason I don't think this applies here is because the actual software/update that was installed that caused the issue was actually the stable branch, thus not the open beta, hence it should have never had this behavior build in in the first place. 

I might be lucky enough to have my important data backed up. But this is still a big mistake IMO

Either way, you're using beta software. That's simply another possible outcome you should have expected. Beta is beta, meaning it's not final, has issues, and isn't fit for a full, stable public release.

Like I said. No sympathies.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

52 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

But honestly, I still don't understand why the OS and your personal files (images/videos) are not separated on Android.

Wipe the OS(and other apps installed), but keep the files in your personal stuff safe... It shouldn't be that hard to code. Even more so with beta firmwares where things can get buggy and require a format.

Even on Windows, MS figured it out (somewhat, still buggy, is not a perfect wipe and driver issues may persist) with their reset feature that basically keeps your User folder intact.

Tbh, I didn’t think this would be a problem with modern devices at all.

Personal files being wiped was never really a problem when I was messing with LineageOS. From what I remember, a separate partition was set up specifically for the OS, while user files went elsewhere. I could wipe the System partition, flash a new ROM, and be on my merry way. 

However, encryption I believe is generally employed across the board in Android space. If the encryption system is anything like Apple’s, the true key won’t be the user password, but rather contained somewhere that could be accessed. Corruption of the encryption key is pretty much equivalent to wiping the user partition, so I can conceive scenarios that could cause this to occur with an OS-level bug, or even intentionally if the update forces a new key to be generated/alters how security is implemented. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, Pieterv24 said:

But also letting an error slip that causes the phone to perform a full wipe is something that should never be possible without the users express signoff. 

Isn't that an oxymoron tho? Any update can screw up, so either you have forced updates or you don't. 

Which is why forced updates actually should be illegal. 

Tho yes, if a user wants to take this risk that should be fine also, it's just, often you don't really get that choice (see Microsoft Windows 10)

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

encryption I believe is generally employed across the board in Android space

I'm not sure about latest version, 10(?) but on Android kitkat¹ (4) that was merely an option, and yes it indeed warned you about potentially losing all your stuff in case you decided to use this, umm, service. 

¹specifically mention it because that was the last version of Android that was not shit (before all the "security" nonsense) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Is there even a point running beta software nowadays?

I stopped caring about which version of Android I have a long time ago: all the features I might need are already there 

Running Windows LTSC on my main computer has been the best decision I've made in years.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Android uses separate partitions while Microsoft just moves data around, so Android should actually be able to handle this better.

If I had to take a guess they rolled out some of the scripts for the factory image, which usually consists of formatting most of the partitions on the device. It's actually a relatively easy mistake to make, but something that could have been caught before being pushed out.

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So there are people running a beta OS and expect nothing to go wrong when they allow updates to automatically install?

What is the purpose of running a beta? What are the terms and disclaimers you have to agree to, when using such software?

Mostly Bug reporting and Feedback.

I am not sure what OnePlus has in there disclaimer, but most actually give a warning stating that it should not be used as a daily driver and that data loss is likely. Usually recommending to backup your data frequently. It's also not uncommon for Beta builds to wipe a partition, whether it's for testing a new last minute partition format, a change in encryption, or to help ensure there wont be conflicts. There is however usually a warning on a update, but again being on a Beta build doesn't explicitly require that to be present, you take the risk regardless.

If people are assuming any differently, then it's probably just a failure to actually read anything or understand what beta or stability mean, which is fairly common when it shouldn't be and only seems to get worse as time goes by.

With that said, this only brings the question of whether this is really Tech News. Things like this are really not that uncommon and should be expected.

Just create new memories LULW

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ouch. Though people should not be running betas on their main devices. Does OnePlus or Android have a nightly backup option? If so this shouldn't affect people too much. They can just restore if this wiped their data. 

It does, though who knows how many are using that. Actually while on WIFI google's backup options are live backup not nightly by default. I don't know oneplus, but Samsung also has it's own configurable backup options.

I mean I literally had to reset an iphone this weekend because a pin somehow got setup for it and turns out the person in 5 years never once backed anything up.... **facepalm**

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS