Are things that enable piracy allowed?

Helpful Tech Witch
1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

You own the disk, not the movie. Legally speaking you are NOT allowed to break any Encryption/DRM on the disk.

Technically speaking, you own a license to the movie itself, not the disc.

As such, ripping the movie out for your personal usage, even if it's breaking the "encryption" of the disc, makes it a legal grey area.

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/25/use-exemptions.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

hat's why the typically target pirates who UPLOAD instead of the ones who simply DOWNLOAD.

Even then. US Federal Judges have rules in the past that IP addresses dont equal a person. So, companies dont rely on the US government to enforce copy right protections. They just use civil suits. Im not sure if there is a Legal max for what they can ask for. Last I knew, most suits were for about $3000 USD. While $3000 is a lot of money, its not the 5 years in Federal prison and or the $250,000 or $500,000 that you can be held accountable for in a criminal court. 

Not to mention a lot of the "Uploaders" are outside the US, generally in countries who dont care about copy right laws. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yeaaaah, those are just excuses pirates give. Game pirates just don't want to pay and get free shit. 

Us x58 guys are without a legal way to play some DRM equipped games do to the lack of AVX...

Just now, ausham said:

Us x58 guys are without away to play some DRM equipped games do to the lack of AVX...

I suppose you're talking about denuvo here?

Maybe it's time to consider upgrading from the 12 year old platform. Can you even play these games in the first place... Usually Denuvo protected games are not exactly the type that would run on potatoes. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I do agree. Companies bring it on themselves. 

DVD.jpg.3127b05b4cbede9e08ee3f12c6f80592.jpg

While I dont condone breaking the law. People will continue to pirate as they see fit. The fact is, they cant stop piracy. Its very hard to bring criminal charges for piracy. At the most companies can do civil suits, but that costs money and time. 

I really need this picture. Can I download it? Or maybe, I just try to find this from the Internet and see if it can point me to the source. Whoever create this picture deserves a credit.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I wanted to be on the safer side. Plus if it is, maybe it should be added to the comunity standards.

Talking about cfw, emulation etc is allowed (its also not against any laws) you just can't talk about piracy (which is illegal) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

makes it a legal grey area.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201

The language here is pretty clear to me. Pretty much says DO NOT circumvent DRM. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-circumvention#United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealNetworks,_Inc._v._DVD_Copy_Control_Ass'n,_Inc.

While you probably wont get caught. Technically you are breaking the law. 

7 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Can I download it?

To be honest. I dont own it. *Knock knock* *Copy right police*. LOL 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201

The language here is pretty clear to me. Pretty much says DO NOT circumvent DRM. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-circumvention#United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealNetworks,_Inc._v._DVD_Copy_Control_Ass'n,_Inc.

While you probably wont get caught. Technically you are breaking the law. 

Wiki isn't the law. And it depends on country too. Blanket statements like this aren't really binding at all, legally or otherwise (definetly allowed in my country, I kinda wonder why drm even is still considered *legal* with how anti consumer it is...) 

Just now, Donut417 said:

I think he wants to *pirate* the picture, tsk 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, Google image search leads me to lot of sites, but I can't be sure which one is the original site (or at least, where the creator uploaded it). Bummer.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

You can talk about homebrew, CFW, jailbreak or modding. Just don't ask for or post links to copyrighted software and stuff on this forum.

No matter how hard big corporations try to fight piracy, piracy will always be as certain to occur as death itself. Or taxes lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Wiki isn't the law. And it depends on country too. Blanket statements like this aren't really binding at all, legally or otherwise (definetly allowed in my country, I kinda wonder why drm even is still considered *legal* with how anti consumer it is...) 

I didn't make blanket statements. I live in the US, and thats US law. And while it does matter country to country. Copy rights are protected by International treaties. Thats why there is an INTERPOL warning on movies at least sold in the US. 

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think he wants to *pirate* the picture, tsk 

Well, maybe. But usually, for something like in the forums, Facebook, Deviant Art, etc... I always ask before downloading, even if the download button is just right there. And like the 'poster' (the one who post the comment) said, he didn't own it, so I need to search further to find the original creator.

1 minute ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, maybe. But usually, for something like in the forums, Facebook, Deviant Art, etc... I always ask before downloading, even if the download button is just right there. And like the 'poster' (the one who post the comment) said, he didn't own it, so I need to search further to find the original creator.

Ive had that picture for over a decade in my files. You may never find the original. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Ive had that picture for over a decade in my files. You may never find the original. 

True. And Google search didn't help. However, I think I find a watermark image of the troll face. I wonder if it is from the meme creator that always like to use that troll face for most of his meme pics? Maybe worth a shot.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

you just can't talk about piracy (which is illegal) 

That's not what our Community Standards say at all, quite the contrary actually ;

Any discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed, including the discussion of hacking or cracking.

• Discussion of piracy in general is acceptable (e.g. "Game X becomes the most pirated game ever").
  • Hackintosh discussion is permitted.
  • Redistribution of copyrighted software, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.

That's why this thread is fine ; we're discussing piracy in general and what's allowed or not on the forum, we're not discussing HOW to pirate specific content or software ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That's not what our Community Standards say at all, quite the contrary actually ;

That's why this thread is fine ; we're discussing piracy in general and what's allowed or not on the forum, we're not discussing HOW to pirate specific content or software ;)

What about Fair Use for making short Clips of favorite Scenes? Like the First Horror Film  to feature some dude wearing a Hockey Mask and welding Chainsaw chasing around Screaming People? I keeping thinking Friday The 13, but the Classical Movies never had Jason using a Chainsaw. 

But that one is another Topic... But if a Poster wanted to make a Clip of it, is that allowed?

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Oof, yeah... that's what I meant, I didn't word it correctly tho, just 'engaging in' missing basically, but thanks for the correction that really wasn't clear how I said it. :)

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I didn't make blanket statements. I live in the US, and thats US law. And while it does matter country to country. Copy rights are protected by International treaties. Thats why there is an INTERPOL warning on movies at least sold in the US. 

But that really depends heavily where you are I guess, that's why it sounded like a blanket statement to me. 

So I get this right, you can make copies, for personal use, but you can't do that if there's some drm involved? Or, you just aren't allowed to make any copies if you aren't the copyright holder? 

I'm not even sure how it is in Germany exactly, I know you can make "one" copy, but not sure how drm is handled, I think you are allowed to circumvent that to get your "one" copy (for backup purposes)... 

Edit: looked it up... This is more complicated than I remember lol

What is a private copy?

In copyright law, reproduction for personal use is described as a private copy.  According to the Federal Court of Justice, the number of copies is limited to seven, which can also be passed on to relatives or close friends.  However, it would not be allowed to pass it on to all classmates or colleagues.

Can I make private copies of any media?

In the case of computer programs, copyright law does not provide allowance for private copies; only so-called backup copies are permitted here.  These are generally not allowed to be passed on and are only used to secure future use.

And you're not allowed to circumvent 'copyright protection' so drm... 

I'm still not entirely sure about *that* tho, I think there was some case where the judge said circumventing would be OK for backups... Tho I'd need to find that to be sure, obviously. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Yeaaaah, those are just excuses pirates give. Game pirates just don't want to pay and get free shit.

Or they want to play things that aren't available today, like Wii Virtual Console games.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What about Fair Use for making short Clips of favorite Scenes? Like the First Horror Film  to feature some dude wearing a Hockey Mask and welding Chainsaw chasing around Screaming People? I keeping thinking Friday The 13, but the Classical Movies never had Jason using a Chainsaw. 

But that one is another Topic... But if a Poster wanted to make a Clip of it, is that allowed?

we're not hosting any content on this forum, so not sure what you mean?

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

If you're looking into getting links to paid apps that were modded to run for free, that's again not possible as it's piracy ... And a bad idea since the app was modded, you can't be sure it's clean.

But what if I'm looking for an app that's free, that is modded for a given purpose. For example a modded Spotify apk that doesn't display ads. 

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

we're not hosting any content on this forum, so not sure what you mean?

For own use./Posting on YouTube. 

5 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

But what if I'm looking for an app that's free, that is modded for a given purpose. For example a modded Spotify apk that doesn't display ads. 

that's piracy, ads are how most apps are getting revenue, asking this here, or posting links to these apps here, will get your post / thread removed, or a warning depending.

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

For own use./Posting on YouTube. 

I still don't get it ...

What you can't do on this forum is distributing copyrighted material, or linking to it, or helping in obtaining it. Not sure how this involved YT, if you have an internet connexion, you have access to YT.

Posting videos that are on your YT channel (even if it's compilations) isn't piracy, but it's still not allowed as it's considered advertising (not in the corporate sense, but in the sense that you're trying to drive clicks to your YT channel).

11 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I still don't get it ...

What you can't do on this forum is distributing copyrighted material, or linking to it, or helping in obtaining it. Not sure how this involved YT, if you have an internet connexion, you have access to YT.

Posting videos that are on your YT channel (even if it's compilations) isn't piracy, but it's still not allowed as it's considered advertising (not in the corporate sense, but in the sense that you're trying to drive clicks to your YT channel).

I was just giving an example. I yet to start my own YouTube Channel. And if I was posting Clips I made using that, it wouldn't be for getting clicks, but sharing what I made. On top of that, it is very likely to have my videos demoniterse anyway.