Mojang will soon start its transition of Minecraft: Java Edition Accounts to Microsoft Accounts

12 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

could you possibly elaborate?

I'm yet to see a convincing argument that this is on the whole a bad thing.

To be more on topic, I don't really see this as a bad thing... I'm just done with Minecraft for a hundred other reasons unrelated to this so I can't really bring myself to care much.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

56 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I hope Hytale tears this game down... This game adds a few new blocks, a mob, and +10% server lag and calls it an update. (seriously, this game has been laggy shit since 1.13) That's been the cycle for years now. Mojang is lazy and Microsoft sucks. This game is completely carried by it's community (servers are built by community, mods are built by community, plugins, etc etc etc) and all Microsoft has done is make it harder for the community. Trying to take down bukkit, trying to get a cut of big server's income, etc. As someone who has played off and on since beta, I'm ready for better. Bye Minecraft!

Back when I was playing Minecraft 1.2.5 on my Core duo T2600 and Quadro NVS 110M/Geforce Go 7300...it wasn't laggy at all. Even on servers with loads of mods. Straight up just try choosing a server based on the connection quality. Or lowering settings to a minimum (sadly never helped a Pentium 4 3.2 and Mobility Radeon 9000igp Pro based laptop - Minecraft Classic FTW).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't personally mind. It's not like they are getting rid of the Java version. We still get to keep our usernames and not forced to use our real names... Plus we get a cape. For free.

I see no downside to this. Why is anyone complaining?

1 hour ago, Escanor said:

I absolutely hate the way they keep nagging for secret questions its complete BS they should've just setup a mail that sends you a code which would be actually secure, secret question just adds annoyance, figure phishers are gonna have a field day soon since migration has not started yet by the looks of it so people will be googling how to migrate and end up on phishing page.

Secret questions are good, though.

Even more so for all the people who "forget" their email passwords.... We see plenty of them on this forum asking what they can do. And usually, they've also put random answer they don't remember for their secret question answers.

The secret questions are designed to help you get the account back if you fuck up and "forget" the password. Getting rid of them would result in a lot more "abandoned" accounts after people "forget" their passwords and have no others means of getting the account back.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Back when I was playing Minecraft 1.2.5 on my Core duo T2600 and Quadro NVS 110M/Geforce Go 7300...it wasn't laggy at all. Even on servers with loads of mods. Straight up just try choosing a server based on the connection quality. Or lowering settings to a minimum (sadly never helped a Pentium 4 3.2 and Mobility Radeon 9000igp Pro based laptop - Minecraft Classic FTW).

Right? I used to play on a Optiplex GX110 back in 2011... That's a 1GHZ Pentium 3 and 512mb of RAM. It was actually almost playable! Earlier this year, I built a Athlon 64 rig, OC'd it to 2.4ghz, slapped 2GB of RAM in it and a 9600XT. On some shitty old HDD from like 2005, 1.2.5 loaded almost instantly, joined a server almost instantly and ran at nearly max settings. Then I tried 1.15.2, it took over 20 minutes to get into a single player game and ran at 2 FPS on lowest settings. And people wanna say this game isn't THAT much slower... On my current rig, everything on my system slows to a crawl while the game starts up, and it starts a lot slower than 1.2.5 on the Athlon machine does!

And what's funny is, there's barely any more content either. You still get iron, get diamonds, get blaze rods, get ender pearls and slay the dragon. The game hasn't even changed that much, not enough to warrant it running an order of magnitude slower that is.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

19 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

could you possibly elaborate?

I'm yet to see a convincing argument that this is on the whole a bad thing.

three words: third party launchers.

they will break because Microshit will make it as hard as possible for them to use the new login api they will undoubtedly force everyone to use.

not only that i wouldn't be surprised if this breaks older versions of the game, basically making it impossible to play older versions for things like mods or special servers like 2b2t.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

7 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

three words: third party launchers.

they will break because Microshit will make it as hard as possible for them to use the new login api they will undoubtedly force everyone to use.

not only that i wouldn't be surprised if this breaks older versions of the game, basically making it impossible to play older versions for things like mods or special servers like 2b2t.

I think Mojang will work with 3rd party launchers before this roll out, because a lot of people hate the default launcher for many reasons, and can’t use the default launcher for many reasons.

Using Mojang’s API vs using Microsoft’s API, which is worse? They’re both proprietary, so that’s not anything different...

1 hour ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

The same would happen if Mojang were bought by Google or Apple, just replace "Microsoft Account" with GMail or iCloud.

... so?

1 hour ago, Escanor said:

I absolutely hate the way they keep nagging for secret questions its complete BS

I never understood the use of "security questions" and hints, much less the mandatory use of security questions and hints, and even less when you cannot write your own questions, but are forced to choose among a predefined list - like Windows. They should be renamed "insecurity questions". Like, maybe one or two persons assigned random answers and wrote them down, but most people will use actual answers, and it's usually things anyone interested can learn about you or recover from your digital footprint ("What's your mother's maiden name?", "Which city where you born in?", "The name of your first pet" really? Really???).

20 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

and it's usually things anyone interested can learn about you or recover from your digital footprint ("What's your mother's maiden name?", "Which city where you born in?", "The name of your first pet" really? Really???).

How often in a conversation does your mother's maiden name comes up? It hasn't in the past 20+ years for me with anyone who doesn't work for the gov.

These sort of questions are basically things no one would realistically be asking you. I sure as hell have never written the name of my first pet online... Why would I ? I'd be suspicious of anyone who ask these sort of questions. Might be concerning for kids who post about their very first pet. But any adults who have had others pets, wouldn't be posting about their first pet randomly.

As for the city you're born in, that one I can agree to it being a dumb question since that's usually easily found on social media, depending on the person.

As for why they are necessary...

Because people like this guy exist. The kind who forget their password, but surely they would remember their mother's maiden name or the name of their first pet... Right?

Hence why it is important to not just write whatever random BS you think of and actually answer properly... Unlike that OP who didn't. RIP that email address and everything attached to it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

25 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

1.15 all but solved lag? Uh. Okay, why does a almost stock paper server lag with only 20 players and 8 client view distance suffer from lag spikes? If this game were optimized, clients would be able to have 16 render distance, but the default setting is 10 and even that will lag with enough players. I've done testing on 1.15.2 and it's crap!

Yes but on what hardware? You and I both know that Minecraft is a single threaded game, and is a game that has gotten larger over time. Remember, there is still a lot of Notch code in the game that have them working around X and Y to keep compatibility and to not change too much of the core game. You’re complaining about Mojang being “lazy”, but when they add a lot of features and increase the footprint of the game you complain about lag?

Minecraft has been growing and growing as a game and as a result requirements have been increasing and increasing. Don’t expect decade old hardware to run a game that has very little resemblance to what it was a decade ago.

36 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Microsoft has barely touched Java edition, but it's clear what Microsoft wants. One look at bedrock and you can see the future of the game.

Yes, and one look at Java edition has shown that they haven’t touched jack, except for the name “Java Edition” and this current change to account management.

37 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

What has mojang done to make it harder? Off the top of my head, worse performance with each update, worse server lag with each update, doing shit like completely changing the way item IDs are handled causing lots of plugins to have to be built from scratch for virtually no reason, not addressing how easy it is to cheat, etc. I could probably come up with a lot more, point is, until recently, the company has done NOTHING.

I already talked about poor performance. Item IDs needed to be changed, it was a pain in the ass but it was better in the long run. Who the hell is gonna remember what the ID is for a shulker box or one of the many types of glazed terracotta. It also solved the mod ID limit, and ID conflicts. Now a mod like buildcraft will have a buildcraft:builder ID instead of some random number which will conflict with another mod.

Minecraft was never meant to be this big game, so stuff like item IDs were overlooked, but needed to be changed sooner than later, and they gave the community years before they got rid of the traditional number IDs.

You can’t fix cheating without banning modding. Hackers and modders get lumped into the same category and you usually can’t hurt one without hurting the other. The 2FA and Microsoft Account migration was probably planned a long time ago, but when you’re working for the largest game on earth, you have to make sure everything is in order before you go ahead with a transition as big as this.

And you realize that Hytale and Minecraft can live together? Neither is a replacement to each other, just like Terraria and Roblox never killed each other or Minecraft and vice versa. It’s not “competition in the space” like AMD vs Intel. And Hytale isn’t set to release for a few years, it’s still probably in early alpha, and was bought by Riot games. Why would they preemptively be scared of a game that’s not even out, and won’t have an affect on them since sandbox games live in synchrony?

They started to listen more to the community post 1.9 IMO. That’s when the community had this big divide and they realized that a game is only successful when a community likes it. They produced minor updates until “1.13 and 1.14” which was combined into just one large 1.13 update, Update Aquatic.

53 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Forgot that dumpster fire was pre-microsoft, no matter, it still happened and is probably the sole reason Hypixel started making their own game in the first place.

Hypixel realizing that they shouldn’t rely on another company for its revenue is probably why they started developing Hytale. I think there was also drama along with a Minecon event that could’ve had effect.

This actually is infuriating. I have Minecraft accounts for all 3 of my kids. And now I have to go make all three new accounts to link to. Wtf

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

How often in a conversation does your mother's maiden name comes up?

To begin with, depending on where you come from, her maiden name is essentially her current name. Second, it's public information: who is trying to get access to your account? Maybe it's some random person, maybe it's your brother, your abusive husband or... your mother. There's nothing "safe" about using information anyone could have, it's basically leaving that to chance. Third, it's just a (real) example; all these pre-defined questions are equally stupid.

These sort of questions are basically things no one would realistically be asking you.

Quite on the contrary, it's things many people know for sure, and many others could find out through social media scrapping ("what's your favourite movie?" is another of the fixed questions) or simple social engineering techniques. It's really, really a security whole the size of Australia, there are no two ways about it. And the worst part is that's completely unnecessary, there is no good reason to have predetermined questions as opposed to having you enter both the answer and the question, so you could simply use a code of your own.

As for why they are necessary...

(...)

Because people like this guy exist.

No, they don't need these stupid fixed questions, they could resort to any recovery method (like the second factor in 2FA, open questions and answers...) that's actually any good.

Hence why it is important to not just write whatever random BS you think of and actually answer properly...

Nope, answering correctly may let you recover his account, just like having no lock helps you when losing your keys - but also anyone else trying to get in. Using these questions in the unintended way is the only way to use them, but like with any key that's any good, losing it will make it very hard to undo the lock.

Unlike that OP who didn't. RIP that email address and everything attached to it.

It will happen to someone, but I don't think the solution is to reduce the security for almost everyone.

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Right? I used to play on a Optiplex GX110 back in 2011... That's a 1GHZ Pentium 3 and 512mb of RAM. It was actually almost playable! Earlier this year, I built a Athlon 64 rig, OC'd it to 2.4ghz, slapped 2GB of RAM in it and a 9600XT. On some shitty old HDD from like 2005, 1.2.5 loaded almost instantly, joined a server almost instantly and ran at nearly max settings. Then I tried 1.15.2, it took over 20 minutes to get into a single player game and ran at 2 FPS on lowest settings. And people wanna say this game isn't THAT much slower... On my current rig, everything on my system slows to a crawl while the game starts up, and it starts a lot slower than 1.2.5 on the Athlon machine does!

And what's funny is, there's barely any more content either. You still get iron, get diamonds, get blaze rods, get ender pearls and slay the dragon. The game hasn't even changed that much, not enough to warrant it running an order of magnitude slower that is.

You do realise that that is a huge difference in versions and time right? As in an 8 year difference.

PMSL

Do people get a refund? Java accounts are expensive, they cost £17 whereas Windows 10 versions are nearly free.

8 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Do people get a refund? Java accounts are expensive, they cost £17 whereas Windows 10 versions are nearly free.

Minecraft on Windows 10 is actually 4 cents more expensive than Java edition in the US. The pocket editions are about $6-ish here.

2 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

This doesn't make java into bedrock though. You still get benefits of Java, such as a better modding community, better servers, earlier updates/snapshots etc. Only difference is that you now just use a microsoft account instead of a mojang account. (Also, if you bought minecraft a long time ago, you got bedrock for free)

I like this. I prefer having all my stuff tied to one account because logins are easier. Also free cape

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You do realise that that is a huge difference in versions and time right? As in an 8 year difference.

You’re complaining about Mojang being “lazy”, but when they add a lot of features and increase the footprint of the game you complain about lag?

The game is like 20 times laggier, and we don't even have twice the content. Great ratio! Oh man but we got polar bears and bees! yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Content wise the game is only slightly better than it was 8 years ago. It's mostly the same. That in no way warrants how much laggier the game is. Why even bother defending this? The game is a pile of garbage when it comes to optimization, and gets worse with each update. it's just factual. What, by 1.20 am I gonna need a 8700k just to scrape by? Would you still be okay with that? Where is the line drawn?

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

The game is like 20 times laggier, and we don't even have twice the content. Great ratio! Oh man but we got polar bears and bees! yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Content wise the game is only slightly better than it was 8 years ago. It's mostly the same. That in no way warrants how much laggier the game is. Why even bother defending this? The game is a pile of garbage when it comes to optimization, and gets worse with each update. it's just factual. What, by 1.20 am I gonna need a 8700k just to scrape by? Would you still be okay with that? Where is the line drawn?

Java went through loads of updates, more content was added, multi threading support got better. BTW, i5 2540M still do just fine on the CPU side of things (the iGPU can't handle more than minimum however). Have you actually even played the game in the last 10 years? Because from what you're saying it really doesn't seem like you have. I've had Minecraft running better on an i5 4440 and GTX 650ti 2GB if what you are saying is true.

PMSL

Ah, it's 2020 and we're still talking about Minecraft lol

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

... so?

I never understood the use of "security questions" and hints, much less the mandatory use of security questions and hints, and even less when you cannot write your own questions, but are forced to choose among a predefined list - like Windows. They should be renamed "insecurity questions". Like, maybe one or two persons assigned random answers and wrote them down, but most people will use actual answers, and it's usually things anyone interested can learn about you or recover from your digital footprint ("What's your mother's maiden name?", "Which city where you born in?", "The name of your first pet" really? Really???).

Indeed. I never had a pet, the place I was born has several different spellings so how am I going to remember, et cetera et cetera.

However there are plenty of questions that anyone else IS unlikely to knowz but obviously they never turn up in the predefined lists you have to pick from because they're obscure.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, MewMew said:

Ah, it's 2020 and we're still talking about Minecraft lol

It's still under development (so probably still making money) and people enjoy playing it, so why not?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It's still under development (so probably still making money) and people enjoy playing it, so why not?

I'm impressed it's been around this long. Hopefully it will continue to be, it keeps getting prettier!

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Indeed. I never had a pet, the place I was born has several different spellings so how am I going to remember, et cetera et cetera.

However there are plenty of questions that anyone else IS unlikely to knowz but obviously they never turn up in the predefined lists you have to pick from because they're obscure.

Or you just completely ignore them and have your own questions that you use, or treat it as a secondary password box. Just because they’re asking for your mother’s maiden name doesn’t mean that’s the only thing you can put in that box, you can write whatever the hell you want in there and nobody’s going to be able to guess or work out that answer any easier than your password. If you know that all of your security questions contain the same answer (hardly a difference over using your mother’s maiden name every time) then it shouldn’t be a problem remembering it.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

I am sure annoyed at this.
And I wouldn't doubt that they will need to change launchers, and for some stupid reason the new launcher will require Windows 10 build 1903+
(Just to fuck over LTSC users)

I've had absolutely bizarre issues transitioning from Minecraft account to Mojang. And their mandatory 3 "secret" questions were absolutely annoying. I hope Mojang to Microsoft won't be this stupid.