Food & Cooking

whm1974
3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You don't cook with mined coal.

Some people like the special flavour it gives... you know, that "has this got petrol in it?" taste.

Just now, whm1974 said:

Activated Charcoal is heated in a certain way to increase it's porousness. Which is why it is so good at removing poison.  

Are you planning on eating lots of poison for some TikTok clout? I don't recommend it.

Just now, TehDwonz said:

Some people like the special flavour it gives... you know, that "has this got petrol in it?" taste.

Who in Hell eats Coal?

Just now, TehDwonz said:

Are you planning on eating lots of poison for some TikTok clout? I don't recommend it.

Whatever...

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Who in Hell eats Coal?

Who the Hell eats Charcoal ?

There's no point to it other than coloring your food black. Not like you're ingesting poison/"toxins" and the likes willingly.

I'd rather keep it as a "medicine" of sort instead of eating it randomly in my food for no reason.

I'm really not sure why this was ever a trend 4 years ago.

Also, do take note that the whole "detox" fad... Is entirely bullshit. You can't "detox" yourself by eating/drinking specific foods or following specific diets. Your body does the "detox" for you, through your liver and other organs.

Oh and for those thinking it's regular charcoal like your briquettes for BBQ... It's mostly coconut shells.

Activated charcoal, which is the byproduct of burning coconut shells, wood, or other plant materials. If that sounds dangerous to eat, don't worry: charcoal made from coconut is harmless, and is different than consuming food that has been charred or burnt.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

There's no point to it other than coloring your food black. Not like you're ingesting poison/"toxins" and the likes willingly.

I'd rather keep it as a "medicine" of sort instead of eating it randomly in my food for no reason.

Also, do take note that the whole "detox" fad... Is entirely bullshit. You can't "detox" yourself by eating/drinking specific foods or following specific diets. Your body does the "detox" for you, through your liver and other organs.

Oh and for those thinking it's regular charcoal like your briquettes for BBQ... It's mostly coconut shells.

Oh sorry I meant Coal... Damn Typos....

BTW how do you give someone who overdosed Activated Charcoal? Put enough of it in milk or something? Not that I have this stuff around or wouldn't dial 911... Just in case the Police and Paramedics take their Sweet Ass Time getting where I live... Or in an Area miles away from an ER...

35 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Oh sorry I meant Coal... Damn Typos....

BTW how do you give someone who overdosed Activated Charcoal? Put enough of it in milk or something? Not that I have this stuff around or wouldn't dial 911... Just in case the Police and Paramedics take their Sweet Ass Time getting where I live... Or in an Area miles away from an ER...

There exist pills of it. Either the hard compressed pill or the gel hollow shell type and essentially melt within a few seconds in the stomach.

That said, never self administer yourself or someone else, activated charcoal. Always contact paramedics first and only take it if they advice you to take it over the phone while they are on their way.

Due to its nature of reducing the effects of medicines, if someone is having an overdose, it's not guarantied that the particular drug they are overdosing on would react to activated charcoal, as such, it's better not to fuck it up for the actual treatment that would be used by the medical staff.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

There exist pills of it. Either the hard compressed pill or the gel hollow shell type and essentially melt within a few seconds in the stomach.

That said, never self administer yourself or someone else, activated charcoal. Always contact paramedics first and only take it if they advice you to take it over the phone while they are on their way.

Due to its nature of reducing the effects of medicines, if someone is having an overdose, it's not guarantied that the particular drug they are overdosing on would react to activated charcoal, as such, it's better not to fuck it up for the actual treatment that would be used by the medical staff.

While I do agree with you, this would be something I will only do this sort if I am in the middle of nowhere...

The only benefit I can see right now to adding activated charcoal to food stuff beside avoiding the use of fake food coloring is to hum, reduce gas from gaseous people... Maybe???

On 10/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, TetraSky said:

Activated charcoal is just charcoal. I’ve only used it to treat a pig that had excess salt and got sick. There’s no really merit for human use - our liver does a pretty good job.

If you want to detox - eliminate junk food from your diet and eat healthy, balanced meals. Your body will do the rest.

49 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Activated charcoal is just charcoal. I’ve only used it to treat a pig that had excess salt and got sick. There’s no really merit for human use - our liver does a pretty good job.

If you want to detox - eliminate junk food from your diet and eat healthy, balanced meals. Your body will do the rest.

It is used by ER Personnel for people who ingested poison or overdosed on Medications.  

“Activated charcoal” is more commonly know as “recently burned wood” cheap fast  way to make activated charcoal is light a wooden match, let it burn down to the nub, and eat it.  Activated charcoal is carbon that has had the bits it was attached to gasified and burned so it’s got all these little chemical bonds just waiting to attach to something.  It’s why it makes a good anti poison agent.  The little bonds will stick to anything including the poison.  Putting it in baking would deactivate it because the little bonds would grab stuff inside the baked goods.  Seems pointless.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

It is used by ER Personnel for people who ingested poison or overdosed on Medications.  

It’s certainly better than nothing. I wouldn’t use it in a clinical setting, I should have said.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, whm1974 said:

Who in Hell eats Coal?

Me as a toddler on a beach evidently, scared the heck out of my mother to look over at me drooling death metal black down the sides of my mouth. Yup, I grabbed a lump of burned wood and chewed it up so I guess you could say I was really being a trend setter. I continued my trend of setting trends by beating the big head phone crazy by almost 20 years, wearing them in highschool and being mocked for it...but I showed them (what a dork I was)!

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Me as a toddler on a beach evidently, scared the heck out of my mother to look over at me drooling death metal black down the sides of my mouth. Yup, I grabbed a lump of burned wood and chewed it up so I guess you could say I was really being a trend setter. I continued my trend of setting trends by beating the big head phone crazy by almost 20 years, wearing them in highschool and being mocked for it...but I showed them (what a dork I was)!

And what decade did you go to High School? Teenagers walking around with headphones isn't at all unusual... 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

It’s certainly better than nothing. I wouldn’t use it in a clinical setting, I should have said.

It it didn't work, why it be used in ERs then?

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

My memory is one needs a whole bunch of it, and it’s useful in that it works even if the poisoning agent is unknown, and there are a few things that have no other solution.  It will suck a bunch of stuff out of the body that the body needs, but those things can be replaced later.  Is it a terrific solution?  Of course not.  Sometimes kind of sucky is all that is available though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2016, that's how much old this news is. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Well pardon me if I don't know about the fancy food trends of higher income folks...

10 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Oh it’s at least a few hundred years older than that.

charcoal is basically just wood that's been burnt with the lack of oxygen, leaving behind mostly carbon

activated charcoal is to take normal charcoal and increase its reactivity, by removing oil residue left on it, or by making it more porous

it does help absorb certain molecules, so it is used in filtration system and medical prescriptions

I've had "bamboo charcoal" tasting food like bread and ice cream, cant say I'm a huge fan of the flavour

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

And what decade did you go to High School? Teenagers walking around with headphones isn't at all unusual... 

Big headphones were not in, ipods were new, smartphones ran Windows.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Big headphones were not in, ipods were new, smartphones ran Windows.

Well then I am older then you. When I was in HS there was no such such thing as Smartphones. And CPU clockspeed was still in the double digits...

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well then I am older then you. When I was in HS there was no such such thing as Smartphones. And CPU clockspeed was still in the double digits...

*used a trs80 model 1 in highschool*. It had a cassette tape drive.  

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

*used a trs80 model 1 in highschool*. It had a cassette tape drive.  

1977? Man you are much older then I am...