Can you bottlneck your cpu with slow ram?

Because the GTX 1660 Super gives 20 fps more than the GTX 1660. The only difference between them is that the 1660 super has superior vram.

Yes, you can. Buying a slow RAM will reduce the performance of the CPU, quite significantly actually depending on the CPU. The difference was quite big with my 2600X when my 3200Mhz RAM was recognized at 2133. Just make sure your RAM speeds the one that's recommended.

Just now, Question mark?? said:

If you'r cpu is at 100% usage do you need faster ram?

If your CPU is at 100%, it means the CPU is doing all it can at the moment.

If you have faster RAM, you can feed the CPU more data quickly.. But there is no use in that, since the CPU is already struggling with the current stream of data.

In short: no.

Please provide some more info on your system specs and the issues you're facing to get more proper answers.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

No, if your cpu is at 100 percent that just means it’s being used to its full ability, which isn’t always a bad thing

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJB4Xv

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($394.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($869.99 @ Staples) 
Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.64) 
Total: $2338.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 10:04 EST-0500

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Yes, you can. Buying a slow RAM will reduce the performance of the CPU, quite significantly actually depending on the CPU. The difference was quite big with my 2600X when my 3200Mhz RAM was recognized at 2133. Just make sure your RAM speeds the one that's recommended.

Thank you for the help. Is it possible to solve this issue by OC your ram?

In theory, yes but you can't tell in advance how much you boost you will get with the overclock.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you have faster RAM, you can feed the CPU more data quickly.. But there is no use in that, since the CPU is already struggling with the current stream of data.

Please provide some more info on your system specs and the issues you're facing to get more proper answers.

Thx for all the help. 

Was just checking for when i purchase a new cpu

currently, one of Intel's main problems is slow ram. the 2666MHz limit on B460 boards makes the i5-10400 slower in gaming than the Ryzen 5 3600.

also, Ryzen CPUs use Infinity Fabric, AMD's name for the core to core communication. It is affected by ram speed, the faster the better.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i believe it has a higher core clock and better cooling depending on the mode

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i believe it has a higher core clock and better cooling depending on the mode

Okay, thx. Got confused from a linustechtip video

If you are at 100% gpu usage do you even need higher memory clock speed/vram speed?

Higher ram speed is always better for the GPU at any load.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

CPU load is not the indication of your CPU getting weaker.

You put a new CPU it will work the same, just in a shorter period.

Having more cores can also reduce the load, as it spreads the work evenly throughout all the cores.

By doing this it would also reduce the temperature.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, minibois said:

So you're saying that if the CPU is waiting on data from ram, the usage percentage will drop? I'm not sure I've ever seen that. I want to say that would make 100% nearly unobtainable outside of synthetics.

Just now, Craftyawesome said:

So you're saying that if the CPU is waiting on data from ram, the usage percentage will drop? I'm not sure I've ever seen that. I want to say that would make 100% nearly unobtainable outside of synthetics.

yea waiting on ram will raise cpu usage. This isn't super common, but with some workloads like compression where it is very memory bandwidth intensive, you will see a change.

2 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

This is basically what hyperthreading is designed to combat-- while a core is waiting for RAM on one thread, it switches to the other thread, and vice versa.

1 minute ago, Craftyawesome said:

yes, if the CPU is receiving no tasks (from the RAM), its percentage will drop.

of course this is something we won't see ourselves, outside of monitoring the CPU percentage through logs, but that is how it works.

well actually, we would be able to see that. if you're doing nothing on your CPU, there is no tasks in the RAM, thus nothing to send the CPU, thus low CPU usage.

but that's all besides the point;  keep in mind I only said that to paint a picture for OP; 100% CPU usage means the CPU is doing something to its fullest capacity, simple as that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Modern GPUs are extremely memory-bandwidth starved. That's why the 1660S is so much better than the 1660, and why Nvidia straight-up invented a new memory standard for the 3080.

IIRC there may be something to this; i've seen some games where if in single channel, it will pin a CPU to 100% but drop once memory is configured for dual channel.

Can't speak from experience because I've never run in single channel.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Hey @Question mark??

I have merged your threads as they deal with very similar or the same topic. Please use a single thread for your questions in the future. This is for the sake of cleanliness :)

~Energycore

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR