Epic, Spotify, Tile, Protonmail, and Basecamp form coalition against apple

spartaman64
9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

My position here is that, if you could not figure out how to not lose money by having Apple take 30%, you didn't set your subscription price at a point that would have covered that, and that's on you.

The issue becomes when Apple decides not to factor the "30%" into their own products.  It's also ridiculous in saying it's a companies fault if they can't take a 30% cut...all that would do is inflate prices for a consumer.

Your concept of being able to pad ones self only ends up the consumer level with inflated prices.  Look at Amazon, if on all transactions they had to pay out an additional 30% to Apple they wouldn't survive (or prices would be inflated).  I would actually argue that many many companies would not be able to survive with a 30% loss in revenue

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

this is weird man. there's a pseudo revolution irl, now online too

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

3 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

From the looks of this thread people actually believe silly confrontational actions like this by corporations are about "fairness" or "protecting the consumer" 🤣

Corporations are bound by one rule, and that is to maximize profit by any means necessary. Not doing so is malfeasance, this is a crime 🚓

Epic games does not "have your best interests at heart," and they are not doing this for the benefit of consumers 🤑

I imagine these companies see themselves as also helping end users, but they are being somewhat disingenuous by portraying themselves as freedom fighters. The main goal is to avoid paying Apple and Google a 30 percent cut and make more money, whether it's through lower prices or higher profit margins.

8 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

From the looks of this thread people actually believe silly confrontational actions like this by corporations are about "fairness" or "protecting the consumer" 🤣

Corporations are bound by one rule, and that is to maximize profit by any means necessary. Not doing so is malfeasance, this is a crime 🚓

Epic games does not "have your best interests at heart," and they are not doing this for the benefit of consumers 🤑

I feel like this has been covered. Everyone expect for protonmail (proton's not for profit remember) are all corporations that don't want apple taking almost  a third of their mobile income. They could pass on savings to consumers for more goodwill, but that's unlikely

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

37 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The issue becomes when Apple decides not to factor the "30%" into their own products.  It's also ridiculous in saying it's a companies fault if they can't take a 30% cut...all that would do is inflate prices for a consumer.

Your concept of being able to pad ones self only ends up the consumer level with inflated prices.  Look at Amazon, if on all transactions they had to pay out an additional 30% to Apple they wouldn't survive (or prices would be inflated).  I would actually argue that many many companies would not be able to survive with a 30% loss in revenue

If everyone is paying 30%, then it's not a loss in revenue, and if you were subsidizing your customers, it was you who was being foolish.

12 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

even if epic isn't doing it based on values, if it helps both the consumers and devs and sticks it to large corporations like apple which make deals with big players like twitch or amazon or themselves but straight no to small creators then whats the freaking problem? i dont get the argument here. why do people defend it in this way? yes capitalism is good for progress but lets be real here for a second. apple is a 2 trillion dollar company that puts it above most countries in the world! 30 percent for every transaction? really? 

Just now, epicdotexe said:

Yeah silly consumer tribalism, lol.

"Benevolent corporation A is going to STICK IT to EVIL corporation B 😲"

Ad if every corporation isn't equally interested in curb stomping consumers for profit 🤣

I feel like you're on the verge of insulting people, please don't

4 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

More than unlikely, it's illegal. If they think they can sell more of a "product" (if you can call purchasing pixels which cost the company less than $0 to "produce") such that the increase in units sold offsets the decrease in profit per item, then maybe you'll see a "price decrease." 

You would like to think it's a joke but "the more you buy the more you save" is really something people believe 🤣

How is it "illegal"? there's cost to developing a product no matter what (salaries, hardware to host stuff in Epic's case etc etc.). I don't think in Epic's case there was ever a price difference between the mobile and pc costs for microtransactions, so silly me for thinking there would be I guess.

And depending on how you look at it, the more you buy can mean saving (at least with a special discount or sale). Unit prices would be lower, but of course you're paying more

1 minute ago, epicdotexe said:

Yeah silly consumer tribalism, lol.

"Benevolent corporation A is going to STICK IT to EVIL corporation B 😲"

As if every corporation isn't equally interested in curb stomping consumers for profit 🤣

ok sure take my wording and criticize it. check the rate for epic store and every other store for devs. check the amount of free games consumers get. if the market becomes open for other players then the price drops. if epic starts becoming the monopoly then steam/apple etc have to drop their prices to compete and if they dont then well their loss but consumers gain. if epic increases its prices, we get options and the consumer/dev isnt in a worse position from where we are right now. it also allows future players to adopt a similar strategy to epic to compete. so whats the freaking issue here? 

1 minute ago, epicdotexe said:

Questioning people's ultra-consumerism habits is almost always met with hostility 😋

Consume products, and get excited for next products! Oh, and Epic Games LOVES its customers.

double standard a bit much? you want stuff to be free, yet you come out here and criticize everyone of being "ultra (consumeristic)". 

9 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

Questioning people's ultra-consumerism habits is almost always met with hostility 😋

Consume products, and get excited for next products! Oh, and Epic Games LOVES its customers.

if you arent trolling well then you have a weird sense of the world or morality idk.

never been hostile towards and frankly dont care enough to do so either.

this conversation with you seems futile so unless you wanna logically counter my valid arguments and have a decent discussion im out.

< removed by moderation >

16 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

(it does introduce quite a bit of security issues as well, in that you now have to code the rest of the operating system to allow it...which does allow for more chances a check will be forgotten and now you have a new exploit).

Yes, computers are hard. The good news is that they don't need to produce computers; if it's too complicated for them they can always stick to monitor stands.

15 hours ago, Escanor said:

Did't Epic block proton mail on there service ?

I think that's outdated, as reported in the previous page.

Still, I don't think this is an alliance between best friends, but rather an alliance of everyone facing a common problem, as heterogeneous as the group may be.

Edited by LogicalDrm

2 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

I don't want anything to be free, I don't play video games. Lol.

25 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

I wonder if you've ever considered that a digital license key costs nothing? $0 is what a digital game SHOULD cost.

7 minutes ago, parthm said:

if you arent trolling well then you have a weird sense of the world or morality idk.

never been hostile towards and frankly dont care enough to do so either.

this conversation with you seems futile so unless you wanna logically counter my valid arguments and have a decent discussion im out.

I'm pretty sure we've established that morality means nothing when it can be completely reversed in a matter of minutes because there is no agreed upon standard in most situations. Which was just demonstrated by that user rather quickly. No point in responding to that person any further. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

9 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

Yeah, I asserted that they are worthless, not that I want free games 🤣

<removed>  twisting words and being a dick isn't winning you any friends. As far as I'm concerned, you have no valid arguments, and moon logic, so I have no reason to continue this discussion

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

I see Tile in that list and think "they just mad that Apple about to release their own tags that shit on Tile"

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

If Apple was the only choice for the consumer then I might agree that there should be an option...but Android is a full fledged platform that people could go to (people, not devs. for those trying to use my words to say devs have a choice).

Under your logic, I could argue that all software should be open source (since it's anticonsumer locking the user to the programs functionality).  An example would be games, while there are quite a bit that support mods, it's not up to the developer to be forced to support mods.  People are free to make their mods by hacking the game, but it shouldn't be the developers responsibility to do so.

Lol not even the same

I should be able to do whatever i want with it

I own the i device

Sideload or use another store etc

They entrap their consumers 

After you spent few hundred plus in apps you going to leave? 

Once you on the echo system there is no other option!

Anti consumer

21 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

You know most people just want to download Snapchat and Instagram, maybe TikTok. The number of people who care about "sideloading" anything, much less have absolutely any interest in it, is maybe one tenth of one percent.

Linkplease

20 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

More than unlikely, it's illegal. If they think they can sell more of a "product" (if you can call purchasing pixels which cost the company less than $0 to "produce") such that the increase in units sold offsets the decrease in profit per item, then maybe you'll see a "price decrease." 

You would like to think it's a joke but "the more you buy the more you save" is really something people believe 🤣

Rofl.

I wonder if you've ever considered that a digital license key costs nothing? $0 is what a digital game SHOULD cost.

I don't want anything to be free, I don't play video games. Lol.

Yeah, I asserted that they are worthless, not that I want free games 🤣

I find this interesting, none of your points of argument make sense.

You want things for free, yet you demand others to not participate in consumerism.

You claim that downloading pixels is not a product. But then you turn around say you want nothing free.

Contradict much???    Hmmm???

Software developers producing a product takes time and know-how. A skill that is a good chance you dont or may not have, most people that make these arguments have not the understanding of how the product is made they make the same claims you do thus my presumption your lack in this area based on your commentary. If you do have the skill in programming then I apologize, but then that adds up to you not having an understanding only. Knowing and understanding are not the same thing.

Because a product is digital does not diminish the value of said product, the packaging does not define a product, the content or context does.

I think you need to take to a step back re-examine your state of thought.

Also you conduct in this topic is sub-par and not in line with this forum's fundamentals nor is it acceptable. We have an expectation of etiquette here, please use it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, epicdotexe said:

-snip-

You're splitting ends here man. Sure you can resell old stuff, but that's because you can't get it digitally. Software available now will always be available in some capacity. 

And get off your dick about digital licenses being free. Just because it's digital doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for it. For example, with your work. Just because it's digital doesn't mean you shouldn't be compensated. 

This is probably just so Epic can get a store on iOS. 

On 9/25/2020 at 6:30 AM, spartaman64 said:

Well people can't dismiss this as just greedy epic games anymore

ehm yes yes we can. they violate terms of agreement because they wanted ALL the money. apple said no. and then epic sued em. 

all epic wants to do is not pay any cut anymore. which is funny cause they still ask for cuts on their platform and their engine. and even if they want a lowered cut their argument mostly points towards apple having a monopoly. which is even more funny cause they themselves are doing that with their epic game store. they litterally have nothing to stand on. they are hypocrites. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

When will consumers do the same thing - thats where the real power lays.  This is just a minor skirmish compared to what changes consumers can demand, and receive or bankrupt popular companies, if they come together.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 pages of this thread so I might be repeating something someone else already said, but if you look at the companies involved there is a pattern:

I don’t know what backwhatsit does and ProtonMail seems to be sort of an outlier to this, but epic, Spotify, and tile all have one thing in common:  they are services fewer people are using.  Companies that are no longer growing.   Epic because their game is no longer the new hotness, Spotify never really made it to the top of music streaming, tile is seeing competition, and ProtonMail is privacy email. I don’t LIKE that ProtonMail is in their group, but I can see how they might be. 

One of the harsh harsh things about modern herd based stock ownership, is that there is a large section of value that is only interested in growing businesses.  If a business doesn’t grow, they’re no longer interested. So they leave and the business value shrinks. Anything will be done to keep up the perception of growth and maintain that herd.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The enemy of my enemy is ?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 hours ago, epicdotexe said:

<snip>

For sake of argument you are being pedantic on this subject. I wont go off on a long derailing thing here but you are arguing Apple and Oranges. And @piratemonkey makes a good point. Buying the license and buying a physical product are two different things, buying the license still gives you access to the product within the agreed ToS of which this method has been established decades ago. You are mixing two arguments into one.

This applies to more than just gaming, why I did not mention gaming.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER