Epic, Spotify, Tile, Protonmail, and Basecamp form coalition against apple

spartaman64

Several of Apple’s biggest critics — including Epic Games, Spotify, Basecamp, Match Group, Tile, Blix, and Deezer — have banded together to create the Coalition for App Fairness, a new group aiming to “create a level playing field for app businesses and give people freedom of choice on their devices.”

While most of the founding members have individually fought or are fighting with Apple over its App Store policies, the Coalition for App Fairness marks a more coordinated effort for developers to formally protest Apple’s rules. The goal is to also provide a central organization for developers to join, especially those who may not have the clout or the resources to take on Apple alone.

The Coalition says that it welcomes “companies of any size, in any industry who are committed to protecting consumer choice, fostering competition, and creating a level playing field for all app and game developers globally.”

“We are joining the Coalition for App Fairness to defend the fundamental rights of creators to build apps and to do business directly with their customers,” said Tim Sweeney, CEO and founder of Epic Games in a statement announcing the news.

The Coalition for App Fairness has a proposed code of conduct that it’s asking Apple — and other platform owners — to adopt. They goals are ambitious, and include requests that developers not be forced to use an exclusive app store, that all developers should have equal access to the same technical information as the platform owner, and that developers should not be forced to pay “unfair, unreasonable or discriminatory fees or revenue shares,” in order to be listed on an app store.

source: https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/24/21453745/spotify-epic-tile-match-coalition-for-app-fairness-apple-app-store-policies-protest

Well people can't dismiss this as just greedy epic games anymore or at least protonmail strikes me as a dev thats not about greed and actually want fairness. If everyone from Luke with floatplane to protonmail to spotify is having problems with how apple is running their app store then maybe just maybe there might be a problem there that needs to be solved. It's still going to be a tough battle but as apple piss off more and more devs the size of the coalition is only going to grow.

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Well people can't dismiss this as just greedy epic games anymore

Lol, as soon as epic lowered prices to fight apple they started to make less money off vbucks tho... over all prices dropped by 20%, on PC, console, and mobile. They made 10% more per mobile purchase, but 20% less for everything else.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Are they still trying to make us think they're the good guys? Right after they pulled Rocket League off Steam and made it an Epic Games Store exclusive they pull this stunt? " Give people freedom of choice on their devices" mhmm right get a dog up ya Tim Sweeney. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Are they still trying to make us think they're the good guys? Right after they pulled Rocket League off Steam and made it a Epic Games Store exclusive they pull this stunt? " Give people freedom of choice on their devices" mhmm right get a dog up ya Tim Sweeney. 

i think thats the whole point of this because its not just epic games anymore 

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Are they still trying to make us think they're the good guys? Right after they pulled Rocket League off Steam and made it an Epic Games Store exclusive they pull this stunt? " Give people freedom of choice on their devices" mhmm right get a dog up ya Tim Sweeney. 

But it's free to play now? Why complain where you can play it, if it is free? It's not like steam is an amazing platform anyways.

I don't like Epic, but if Epic can get Apple to lower their rates then that's pretty epic.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

6 minutes ago, duckypath said:

But it's free to play now? Why complain where you can play it, if it is free? It's not like steam is an amazing platform anyways.

How does that justify anything when their whole argument to the public was about giving users freedom of choice on their devices? It goes against their argument by removing Rocket League from Steam and making it an exclusive on their own store. And we're suppose to trust they're doing this for the best interests of the consumer and not their own pocketbooks? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, CyberneticTitan said:

Anyone who thinks these companies are doing this mostly for the betterment of consumers is kidding themselves.

i have faith in protonmail

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i have faith in protonmail

Not so much the other ones. Match Group, they own Tinder don't they? That's a weird one to partner with.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's ironic ProtonMail and Epic are partnering, given Epic just blanket banned ALL ProtonMail addresses from signing up for Epic Games Store account. And I'm not sure they've changed that yet... So much for "fairness" as they call it...

I mean I'm not claiming to know how reddit works (I don't) but this is update "no4" and it looks like they're allowing pm email addresses now as per 78 days ago, but maybe you could confirm it since you posted in this very thread (the main one)? 😅

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Ashley xD said:

they have to pay google too so this doesn't make any sense. 

but google has sideloading, amazon app store, samsung app store, and probably some other app stores

Just now, spartaman64 said:

but google has sideloading, amazon app store, samsung app store, and probably some other app stores

yes google has sideloading. google also has an OS that many OEM's don't ever update or update waaay too late, causing something like 80% of android devices to be insecure. enabeling sideloading in this situation is a super bad idea as it would be very easy to fool a person who doesn't know much about tech into installing malware insdead of a seperate app store. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

yes google has sideloading. google also has an OS that many OEM's don't ever update or update waaay too late, causing something like 80% of android devices to be insecure. enabeling sideloading in this situation is a super bad idea as it would be very easy to fool a person who doesn't know much about tech into installing malware insdead of a seperate app store. 

wym just make sure you go to the correct website just like on windows or even macs

Just now, spartaman64 said:

wym just make sure you go to the correct website just like on windows or even macs

i've seen ads for app stores on android in web browsers that looked very sketchy. a normal person, so not a huge tech nerd like we all are, will easily be fooled by that. that's a problem.

a major reason why iOS is so secure is because even if you wanted to break it with malware you can't, since you can only install from the App Store. if through all this legal stuff Apple is forced to allow alternate stores we're gonna see a massive spike in iOS malware and security breaches, and then all the Apple haters here will blame Apple for it, when it was in fact their doing which made the experience for end users worse in the end. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

i've seen ads for app stores on android in web browsers that looked very sketchy. a normal person, so not a huge tech nerd like we all are, will easily be fooled by that. that's a problem.

a major reason why iOS is so secure is because even if you wanted to break it with malware you can't, since you can only install from the App Store. if through all this legal stuff Apple is forced to allow alternate stores we're gonna see a massive spike in iOS malware and security breaches, and then all the Apple haters here will blame Apple for it, when it was in fact their doing which made the experience for end users worse in the end. 

normal people dont use windows? and as ben franklin said anyone who gives up liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

normal people dont use windows?

normal people use Windows. Windows is also nutorious as a virus hellhole and the source of many agonizing tech support calls. 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

and as ben franklin said anyone who gives up liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both

uuuuh ok?

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

normal people use Windows. Windows is also nutorious as a virus hellhole and the source of many agonizing tech support calls. 

uuuuh ok?

ok but did it cause everyone to die no and does sideloading/3rd party app stores on android cause everyone to die no so idk why you think it will cause a global catastrophe or something

you bought into the apple marketing of you dont know whats best for you so let us decide whats best for you too hard

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

ok but did it cause everyone to die no and does sideloading/3rd party app stores on android cause everyone to die no so idk why you think it will cause a global catastrophe or something

it's off by default on android, and it is a real issue. if it's enabled you are at much greater risk especially if you install stuff from sketchy app stores or websites. 

you bought into the apple marketing of you dont know whats best for you so let us decide whats best for you too hard

claps very great argument, you're really gonna change my mind with that one

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

it's off by default on android, and it is a real issue. if it's enabled you are at much greater risk especially if you install stuff from sketchy app stores or websites. 

claps very great argument, you're really gonna change my mind with that one

sideloading is off but 3rd party app stores isnt and im not trying to change your mind im just saying whats important to me is decided by me not by a company telling me whats good for me

and all of your arguments are essentially apple talking points but when you look at other platforms even their own mac disaster hasnt happened

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

sideloading is off but 3rd party app stores isnt

yes it is, 3rd party app stores are sideloaded, they need to be. 

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

and im not trying to change your mind

i can tell

im just saying whats important to me is decided by me not by a company telling me whats good for me

same for me. i value staility and security, only Apple can guarantee that on mobile for me. 

and all of your arguments are essentially apple talking points

...yes? because i agree with them?

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but when you look at other platforms even their own mac disaster hasnt happened

what do you mean

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

yes it is, 3rd party app stores are sideloaded, they need to be. 

i can tell

same for me. i value staility and security, only Apple can guarantee that on mobile for me. 

...yes? because i agree with them?

what do you mean

allowing people to run apps from other sources is the norm not the exception like you seem to think on windows mac etc etc so would you advocate for them to get locked down and only allow you to install stuff from the manufacturer's app store? probably not so what makes this different?