Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
1 hour ago, seanondemand said:

ANGEL HAIR?! ANGEL HAIR IS EVEN WORSE! Man can’t take a couple extra minutes so you gotta have pasta goo

man, you can get some pretty good noodles that are still pretty cheap. If you need a long noodle, whole foods’ store brand organic bucatini is 2.19 a box and the thicker noodle is way nicer to bite and the rougher texture from the bronze die picks up sauce way better than cheap pasta from Teflon dies. Also don’t sleep on muffalda or cascatelli from trader joes for a short noodle. You go one step up from the cheapest pasta to the decent stuff and you’re paying what, an extra 50c/serving if you really get spendy?

I was agreeing.  The trick to angel hair is it cooks really really fast, so you’ve got to get it fairly exact.  There’s like a 30sec window on it.  It’s really easy to overcook which is what “pasta goo” sounds like to me.  Less than half the time spaghetti takes which is less than most other pastas.  It certainly isn’t any better and it’s less forgiving.  If I’m cooking sphagetti though I’m already on the “it’s quicker than rice” track.  Italian pastas don’t even have something as thick as spaetzel.  It’s one of the reasons it’s so expensive. Pasta makers just don’t work.

also I pay 1.49 for a 2 pound box.  There are also 99¢ boxes but they’re only one pound so effectively 50% more expensive.  I don’t disagree.  The organic stuff is better.  Again, where you are financially.  My original budget was $3.00 a meal.  I had to push that to $4.00 because that’s just the way it was, but pasta is the “I’ve overspent on something else” dish so it needs to be as cheap as possible.  I generally don’t even put meat in it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Pasta shape depends heavily on sauce used.

True and not true.  The sauce does define to a large degree the shape of the pasta required.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:38 AM, Seccedonien said:

Why are you calling me a mutant? 😢

It may be literally true.  Most people and basically all animals can’t.  It’s one of those things that have cropped other places but lactose intolleraence in adult mammals is nearly universal.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

True and not true.  The sauce does define to a large degree the shape of the pasta required.

Like a meaty thick chunky sauce doesn't do well except with fatter wider noodles. Opposite is true, thin sauce thin noodle. Italian or Asian noodles, same story. 

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Like a meaty thick chunky sauce doesn't do well except with fatter wider noodles. Opposite is true, thin sauce thin noodle. Italian or Asian noodles, same story. 

That’s because it doesn’t stick.  This is why I think it’s “rotini” works.  The screw shaped stuff.  The chunks get wedged in the “threads” so you get a lot of sauce with your noodle. If the chunks are too big for that though (which can happen) you’ve got to go to a ziti or something.   Smaller noodles have more surface area though because physics so they work better for riced or thin sauces.

I remember an actually Italian dish (no tomatoes) where you use old style anchovies anchovies (the stinky salty ones) and soak them in milk to remove some of the stink.  The milk is not edible for humans though cats love it (fish+oil+milk what’s not to like?) but you make ziti and then fry it in a hot pan with a lot of garlic, red peppers (what most original Italian food does for red) and the drained anchovies.  The anchovies turn to brown mush that coats the ziti. Really salty but also really good.  Another good I haven’t eaten in years.  Anchovies and peppers are expensive.

Edited by Bombastinator

Dune sucked. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

15 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Dune sucked. 

At least two of them did.  Unless you were a teenage girl in the 80’s and saw it specifically to see sting walk out of a shower wearing blue plastic underwear.  It’s just a really hard book to film.  Too much happens.  I’ve heard a feature length movie as being able to hold about 3 comic books.  Dune is muuuch thicker than that and it’s got some pretty complicated concepts as well.  The entire book “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe” was about trying to explain the trinity, which is just one complicated concept (though a particularly thorny one) 

Anything past Empire strikes back in the Star Wars universe sucks

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, ChonkerFox said:

I am wounded sir.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

At least two of them did.  Unless you were a teenage girl in the 80’s and saw it specifically to see sting walk out of a shower wearing blue plastic underwear.  It’s just a really hard book to film.  Too much happens.  I’ve heard a feature length movie as being able to hold about 3 comic books.  Dune is muuuch thicker than that and it’s got some pretty complicated concepts as well.  The entire book “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe” was about trying to explain the trinity, which is just one complicated concept (though a particularly thorny one) 

That's why Terry Pratchett always held back on doing movies of the Discworld novels.  He agreed to a couple of animated series first.  Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters iirc.  Then it wasn't until Sky came to him and proposed a double feature length version of The Hogfather that he allowed it.  Then he agreed to let Sky squeeze two books in to a single feature length show.  The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. and then one final one of Going Postal after that.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I am wounded sir.

well maybe some of it.  you got to admit Empire is the one that really elevates the characters from the first though

The announced GoT(ASOIAF) spin-pff series Snow will suck.

Specs: Ryzen 7 5700G w/ Wraith Prism(locked at 4.2 ghz)

32 GB(4x8) Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 MHZ CL 16 RAM

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

Cooler Master H500 w/ 750W +80 Bronze PSU

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

2 minutes ago, steelfoxy said:

The announced GoT(ASOIAF) spin-pff series Snow will suck.

This one doesn’t seem that unpopular to me..

Just now, Bombastinator said:

This one doesn’t seem that unpopular to me..

I am in multiple ASOIAF communities and they love the idiotic idea of Snow. I had to got it off my chest.

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

MSI GTX 670 Jurassic Park edition(i don't know the model name it is just as old as a dinosaur)

8 hours ago, ChonkerFox said:

Because I couldn’t resist

7 minutes ago, steelfoxy said:

I am in multiple ASOIAF communities and they love the idiotic idea of Snow. I had to got it off my chest.

But would they have loved anything?

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

But would they have loved anything?

To be completely honest. I don't know.

Asus Prime B550M-A Wi-Fi

3 SSD(250 nVME+480+250)

11 hours ago, steelfoxy said:

To be completely honest. I don't know.

That sounds like enough of a yes that a different sample might be needed.

I think a quintuple wide gpu might actually be a good idea.  It would make it tall enough to fit case fans end on which would make a kickass wind tunnel. Plus it would effectively be a blower cooler.  They failed because People thought they were too loud. There was never any complaint that not having gpu heat in your case wasn’t convenient.  You could use another pcie slot to hold the weight too which negates the sag issue. Do it as an angled riser.  One of the problems with thick gpu cards is they cover slots anyway.  Give ‘em back while you’re at it. Cards cost too much these days anyway. At least there would be an actual excuse instead of the lame ones the gpu manufacturers have been attempting and failing at.

Edited by Bombastinator

I like pizza with pineapple and stuffed crust.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

On 5/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, Bombastinator said:

I was more referring to the latest one with Justin Trudeau.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 5/31/2023 at 4:56 PM, ChonkerFox said:

Thought about this one for a minute.  It’s impossible. There’s just too much of it for ALL of it to suck.  It’s also statistically impossible for some of it not to suck though.

there was a famous writer who once said “90% of everything is crud” which I think is true.  There’s still the 10% that isn’t though.

On 6/3/2023 at 6:34 AM, Bombastinator said:

I think a quintuple wide gpu might actually be a good idea.

GPUs getting so wide and deep, they can instead be the lower panel on cases with dedicated intake fans from the side instead of the bottom, maybe some space for the angled PSU too. leaving only the inside air for the backside of GPU and CPU. ITX cases be lovin it.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

GPUs getting so wide and deep, they can instead be the lower panel on cases with dedicated intake fans from the side instead of the bottom, maybe some space for the angled PSU too. leaving only the inside air for the backside of GPU and CPU. ITX cases be lovin it.

Got to connect to the motherboard though.  That would need a pretty long cable