Seagate Wolves are howling out 18TB drives

snortingfrogs

The kings at Seagate has launched 3 new drives, one 18TB HDD and 2 SATA SSD's.

Quotes

Seagate has launched three IronWolf NAS drives – an 18TB range-topping disk and two SATA interface SSDs.

My thoughts

Bigger disks, more space for a hoarder like me, bring it on!

Sources

https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/09/01/seagate-ironwolf-nas-drives/

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

Who needs 18TB in their PC...? Surely this has to be aimed at server applications or long term storage.

Edit: yeah just spotted they're NAS drives. It's still a crazy amount of storage but... whatever, I guess.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Who needs 18TB in their PC...? Surely this has to be aimed at server applications or long term storage.

Edit: yeah just spotted they're NAS drives. It's still a crazy amount of storage but... whatever, I guess.

Anyone with a large digital collection of anything.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

24 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

You clearly have not played Modern Warfare.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

45 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Any digital media files such as 3D models, textures, photography, video, sound recordings ect. Now you throw version control on top of that which includes untold amounts of data duplication because the vast majority of version control cannot properly handle binary assets. If you have a 1GB file and you make 3 distinct edits to it you now have 4GB of storage taken up by that one file. You multiply that by even 4000 similar files and that entire 18TB drive is just about full. Its really not hard to fill that amount of storage. A properly version controlled large content indie game could even approach several to 10s or 100s of TBs. You look at an AAA title at you're easily at the Petabytes mark. 

Even on my own NAS some of my working folders for my own electrical and mechanical CAD projects are hitting about 50GB with my revisions taking way more than that.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

11 minutes ago, comander said:

For laughs - imagine placing two in a NAS, one being a mirror. 

You have 10 security cameras that each record at 15Mbps

It adds up...

-----

You could make an argument about compression or deleting old footage. Either way anyone who wants to archive events will be facing a capacity limit. 

Or those interested in gathering more.... scientific data.

Spoiler

9JeVcD8.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

snip

I believe all Seagate drives above 8TB or 10TB are CMR. All of their NAS drives are CMR anyways.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I really thought HDD was really getting at the end of the capacity increase 16TB was already pretty good but 18TB now while keeping the same size, that's really crazy I mean I still had some 500GB and 1TB, I destroyed not so long ago (I never resell storage) and those were around 10 years old I guess well it was the series before the caviar green came out.

I really wonder what's the max capacity we'll see for HDD for a 3.5 size.

14 hours ago, comander said:

For laughs - imagine placing two in a NAS, one being a mirror. 

You have 10 security cameras that each record at 15Mbps

It adds up...

-----

You could make an argument about compression or deleting old footage. Either way anyone who wants to archive events will be facing a capacity limit. 

Yup. Spot on.

Or you could double the frame rate to 30fps for 25Mps.

Same setup as above (1080 w/ h.265), but at 30fps would give you 60 days of retention requiring just over 15TB of capacity. Or at 15fps, that double to 120 days of retention. 

17 hours ago, trag1c said:

-snip-

There are clearly good reasons for big storage, I myself are already close to the limit and already copied tons to external to free up some space too on my 4TB X300 after just a few months but the poster still has a point,  most PC users (gaming,  office) won't ever need that much space,  1-2TB is usually sufficient  and in today's throwaway digital culture they also don't mind deleting a game after they're "done" with it. 

So yeah you're not wrong, but on the other hand not everyone needs that much storage obviously (which also probably comes at a prohibitive cost factor) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Wow, considering the price I paid for my four 4TB IronPups, the asking price for this drive isn't all that bad. The only problem would be having to buy another 4 for a RAID6 setup, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.