Samsung Committing to Give Devices 3 Generations of Android Updates - But There's a Catch...

4 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

depends on what do you mean by lasts, my S7 edge is 4 years old now, coming up on 5th next year Q1

I just mean that on average (likely mire than average) phones do not last anywhere near as long as they used to, screens break easier, batteries fade quicker,  forget putting that thing in you jeans pocket. 

I read an article about phone obsolescence from 2014,  just ignoring the claims of intentional software obsolescence (because that's controversial) the repair stores they interviewed were saying that phones had become notable weaker even then (2014).  The biggest thing being battery fade and screen repairs on the increase.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

The thing is people aren't suddenly more clumsy now than they were 10 years ago,  phones just don't survive the fall like they used too.

To be fair, there is one factor that tracks almost perfectly with phones seeming less durable:

Screen size.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that as screens get bigger, they get more unwieldy and thus a lot easier to drop.  And drops really are what kill most screens, beyond the meatheads who put them in a back pocket and sit on them, or throw them in a pack to be crushed by other things in the pack.  No matter how much gee whiz tech they put into it, glass is still a pretty fragile thing.

As for the move to support phones with more updates, kudos to Samsung. It is about time.

6 minutes ago, Warin said:

To be fair, there is one factor that tracks almost perfectly with phones seeming less durable:

Screen size.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that as screens get bigger, they get more unwieldy and thus a lot easier to drop.  And drops really are what kill most screens, beyond the meatheads who put them in a back pocket and sit on them, or throw them in a pack to be crushed by other things in the pack.  No matter how much gee whiz tech they put into it, glass is still a pretty fragile thing.

I can accept that as being a reason, just not the complete answer.  The article I referred to earlier was written in 2014, about the time when screens larger than 5" where becoming a thing (iphone 5.5" was release then).

So the uptick in broken screens occurred when the vast majority of phones had a 4.7-5" screens

6 minutes ago, Warin said:

As for the move to support phones with more updates, kudos to Samsung. It is about time.

hear hear.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I went looking for the article I read in 2014, I found this one from 2018:

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/it-s-not-your-imagination-phone-battery-life-is-getting-worse-20181102-p50dl3.html

It appears that as a general rule batteries don't last as long or aren't lasting as long as they could given the improvements companies have made in processor power consumption (especially apple).  I would put that down to manufacturers under sizing the battery to make their devices thinner.  Because increasing battery size to offset screen size combined with power gains from better processors should result in less battery fade, not more.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Make it a little more durable and I'd pay $150.

What I want is more durable phone that is as thick as my existing iphone with the dang otterbox on it. The thing basically doubles the phone's thickness.

On the other hand, I don't think a "sleeve" type battery+bumper is a valid upgrade. 

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MRXK2LL/A/iphone-xs-smart-battery-case-black

aaaaand...

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone-xs-xs-max-xr-smart-battery-case-replacement

Apple has determined that some Smart Battery Cases made for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR may experience charging issues. An affected Smart Battery Case may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:

• Battery case will not charge or charges intermittently when plugged into power
  • Battery case does not charge the iPhone or charges it intermittently

Affected units were manufactured between January 2019 and October 2019. This is not a safety issue and Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will replace eligible battery cases, free of charge.

$130 US to add a 20 hour battery. To iPhone XS's existing 9.5hr or so battery.

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Probably didn't notice. My mom also used to think it was normal, until i noticed it. And im talking about apps crashing, not the whole phone. The phone just used to get stuck sometimes (which in it for itself is unacceptable to me)

I know my mum, she would notice and tell me.

Again, just because you change it every 3 years, doesnt mean everyone does. I would've still rocked my older OnePlus 3T today if die a horrible death with saltwater 8 months ago

A static in my country show that here most people switch their phones when they are 2-3 years.

Nope. I don't think UAE and western European countries are considered poor. These are people who really dont care too much about a phone and uses it till it actually dies on them completely

They are not poor

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 8/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, mr moose said:

Does any modern phone even last 3 generations anymore?

yep. my iphone 5s, 6S, my sisters 7 have all gone for years. 6,4,3

if you call 2013-2016 "modern"

Batteries on the 5s and 6s after about 3-4 years.

7 has had one screen replaced after it got dropped.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

I just mean that on average (likely mire than average) phones do not last anywhere near as long as they used to, screens break easier, batteries fade quicker,  forget putting that thing in you jeans pocket. 

I read an article about phone obsolescence from 2014,  just ignoring the claims of intentional software obsolescence (because that's controversial) the repair stores they interviewed were saying that phones had become notable weaker even then (2014).  The biggest thing being battery fade and screen repairs on the increase.

It all comes down to how well someone treats their phone honestly, i've had S3 for over 4 years before i upgraded to S7 edge, and i have all my previous phones still alive and working, the ones that broke early were the Redmi ones from Xiaomi, when i got that phone for that cheap 3 years ago i was amazed how good that phone was for the price, now that phone is a paper weight, filled with bloatware, my guess the more high end phone you get with better care, the longer they last. 

Spoiler

66651285_2264337473880303_38293694249519

66446753_1318941784935903_47567529283063

66284324_478778492880676_258949657372550

All of the above phones are totally functional and usable, i do also have my first phone Nokia 3310, but i can't for the life of me find out where i kept the battery. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 minute ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

It all comes down to how well someone treats their phone honestly, i've had S3 for over 4 years before i upgraded to S7 edge, and i have all my previous phones still alive and working, the ones that broke early were the Redmi ones from Xiaomi, when i got that phone for that cheap 3 years ago i was amazed how good that phone was for the price, now that phone is a paper weight, filled with bloatware, my guess the more high end phone you get with better care, the longer they last. 

Reveal hidden contents

66651285_2264337473880303_38293694249519

66446753_1318941784935903_47567529283063

66284324_478778492880676_258949657372550

All of the above phones are totally functional and usable, i do also have my first phone Nokia 3310, but i can't for the life of me find out where i kept the battery. 

I'll see your 3310 and raise you a p4000.  I still have mine.

WP_20150618_001.jpg

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'll see your 3310 and raise you a p4000.  I still have mine.

Damn, i ain't that old enough, but i do remember seeing an older version of 3310 that was bulky AF, but that's about it, oh the 3310 variant from US had fucking Interrent browser on it, on a black and white lcd screen, one of my friend had bought it from overseas. 

but is yours still working though? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

18 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Damn, i ain't that old enough, but i do remember seeing an older version of 3310 that was bulky AF, but that's about it, oh the 3310 variant from US had fucking Interrent browser on it, on a black and white lcd screen, one of my friend had bought it from overseas. 

but is yours still working though? 

it would work if the analog system wasn't shut down 20 years ago.

The thing is half a kilo, takes those 7.2 volt nicad packs (6 AA cells).  I bought it when I was 18. 

15 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

So you havent used a modern phone. Okay, then you probably dont know the difference.

i do know the difference, see it everytime with my collegues. And as i said, loading a web page faster or launching an app faster is not enough of a reason for me to leave a device that has no real replacement (i.e. better in every possible way and not just: it has a faster SoC and... we removed everything else) 

And the experience is still identical to what i had when i first bought it, so that's more than good enough for me.

None of the android phones from 2015 I mentioned above is as nearly as popular as the iPhone 6s. And this is the same case with every year.

Maybe, just maybe, cause the iPhone 6S was the new iphone of 2015 accompanied by the Plus, and at the same time in 2015 you had:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mobile_phones_introduced_in_2015

Z

Inb4 in the US nobody buys all these phone excuse, Samsung alone has 26 phones on that list. 

And this is the same case with every year

Yes: Apple brings one new lineup of iphones, Android shares the pie with almost 100 devices just  from the well known brands

It si bullshit.

Not

Google is trying. But they can only do so much with play store update.

trying and succeding in the attempt. It was the right call to take given the situation of the patform

System level vulnerabilities wont be patched, and it were the case where they could patch via a play store install, that itself is a huge vulnerability.

they can, as it has happened many times now for all those cases that didn't require an OS patch, which are still present unfortunately. And why wouldn't the play store be the right place to deliver them? 

No critical updates should ever be delivered in the same channel that is accessible to any third party apps

Why? Who's the arbiter of how should system patch be delivered?

How do i imporve notification system

look at how notifications are handled now, there were apps that handle them exactly like that years before the became system implementations. the Likes of snowball or metro notification

How does my phone suddenly have better battery or ram management

Greenify

Where's the privacy features and controls

App Ops

I'm not going to use some rando shady thrid party app with ads to try and add half baked funtionality to my phone.

that's your opinion, to me these app offer more than anything the OEM can come up with, and do it better in many cases. Think jailbreak tweaks in iOS6 and iOS13 features, many of those tweaks to this day are better excuted than how Apple envisioned them.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Samsung could easily have 5 years of updates support if they weren't releasing 5 new phones every god damn week...

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Samsung could easily have 5 years of updates support if they weren't releasing 5 new phones every god damn week...

That might not necessairly be true.

Once Qualcomm stop supplying partners with BSPs they can't update Android anymore. I don't know how long Qualcomm supports their chips for, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was ~3 years.

Of course, Samsung could still update their Exynos powered smartphones though.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That might not necessairly be true.

Once Qualcomm stop supplying partners with BSPs they can't update Android anymore. I don't know how long Qualcomm supports their chips for, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was ~3 years.

Of course, Samsung could still update their Exynos powered smartphones though.

Samsung is big enough they could demand Qualcomm to update or their bids will not be accepted on future orders. So I don't believe that to be a problem. If Samsung wanted to save themselves money they should reduce the number of phones they make to 4-6 and use the exact same hardware in all of them, with only different capacity SKU's.

Honestly, if we really wanted to see less e-waste, having the devices have removeable storage and removable batteries would make them last nearly forever. Same with all mobile devices from Nintendo Switch's to Laptops (which most ultrabook designs have started soldering everything to the board.)

32 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Samsung is big enough they could demand Qualcomm to update or their bids will not be accepted on future orders. So I don't believe that to be a problem. If Samsung wanted to save themselves money they should reduce the number of phones they make to 4-6 and use the exact same hardware in all of them, with only different capacity SKU's.

Honestly, if we really wanted to see less e-waste, having the devices have removeable storage and removable batteries would make them last nearly forever. Same with all mobile devices from Nintendo Switch's to Laptops (which most ultrabook designs have started soldering everything to the board.)

Not sure if the e-waste comment was aimed at me because I never said anything about it. 

Anyway I don't think Samsung has that much leverage against Qualcomm. Samsung can threaten to not buy chips but they would be shooting themselves in the foot, and Qualcomm knows this. No android manufacturer is really in a situation where they can threaten Qualcomm since they own the market. 

Hopefully that will change with Exynos next year though.