Samsung Committing to Give Devices 3 Generations of Android Updates - But There's a Catch...

Edit: Just as a heads up - there was an update to The Unpacked Thread by @zeusthemoose that I did not see stating the new 3 Android Generation commitment cycle, however, exact device list was not noted.
Link: 

Summary:

During its recent "Unpacked Event" - Samsung promised three generations of Android Updates. This starting with their current flagship, the Note 20 Ultra.

Recently, a list has come out containing the devices that Samsung are now extending that support to - and it's bad news for some previous flagship holders that refuse to update (like myself and Linus, who are both using the Note 9 - I'll cut to the chase, It ain't on that list chief.)

galaxy-note20_highlights_kv_device_noweb

(credit: Samsung - https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-note20/)

Quotes

Generally, Samsung will provide three years of updates for all of the Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, and Galaxy Z devices released in 2019 and 2020. That includes the S10 and S20 line of phones, and also more niche devices like the Galaxy Fold, which was recently retroactively added to be part of Samsung’s Galaxy Z line of foldable devices.

Samsung is being touted as doing this because people are holding on to their phones for longer as they typically do everything they need or have features they like (cough Headphone jack). As such, they are trying to extend the software support line for older devices. A cool thing to note (ha pun intended) is that now Samsung has committed to a 3 Generation cycle of Android updates - that now puts them equal to Google's commitment to the Pixel line of phones.

But here is that catch I mentioned in the title - That's 3 generations of updates and not 3 years - which is what most people would assume. An example is the current flagship, the Note 20 Ultra. It comes pre-loaded with Android 10, so we should see it get updates to at the minimum Android 13 (when ever that gets announced in the future).

Here is the full list of devices Samsung has committed to giving 3 Cycles of Android updates to:

• Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices
  • Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices
    • I'm seeing a lack of Note 9 in this list :( 
  • Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices
  • Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices
  • Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices

My thoughts

Not going to lie, I am kind of disapointed my Note 9 won't be getting the same treatment for the update cycle. Does that mean Samsung are going to stop updating it soon? Is it effectively EOL now for a still perfectly capable smartphone? Will it get the Android 11 update or not? So many questions I have (mainly because of my personal device).

Overall - I think it's a good thing that Samsung is committing this cycle, however - some flagships are very capable and some re-assurance they wont be forgotten about less than 3 years in their cycle would be nice.

Your thoughts - please leave them down below :)

Sources

Gizmodo UK: https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/08/here-are-all-the-samsung-devices-getting-3-generations-of-android-upgrades/

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

You can always install a custom OS/ROM onto older devices, such as the Galaxy 8 and 9 series. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Does any modern phone even last 3 generations anymore? 

Define: Lasts

I have have a few phones that are older than 3 generations. They still call, access the internet, can do almost anything in the playstore other than modern games. I have them doing things like being a remote for plex/kodi, home automation, entertainment systems.My current phone i think is coming up on 2 years and its battery still lasts 2 days of moderate use (6hr screen on with 50% brightness).

If youre willing to replace your battery (not hard for most phones) 3 years is a joke. You can keep a modern smartphone alive until they shut off the 4g antennas for 8g or whatever. They are only just now shutting off 3g that came out in 2002.

"Planned Obsolescence" and "Forced Upgrades" are a social thing, not a technology issue.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

1 minute ago, silberdrachi said:

Define: Lasts

I have have a few phones that are older than 3 generations. They still call, access the internet, can do almost anything in the playstore other than modern games. I have them doing things like being a remote for plex/kodi, home automation, entertainment systems.My current phone i think is coming up on 2 years and its battery still lasts 2 days of moderate use (6hr screen on with 50% brightness).

If youre willing to replace your battery (not hard for most phones) 3 years is a joke. You can keep a modern smartphone alive until they shut off the 4g antennas for 8g or whatever. They are only just now shutting off 3g that came out in 2002.

"Planned Obsolescence" and "Forced Upgrades" are a social thing, not a technology issue.

Physically, before the battery shits, the screen breaks, something in an update causes it to shit the bed.

Apple or google decide the app you're using and paid for no longer conforms to "their" policy so is terminated.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Physically, before the battery shits, the screen breaks, something in an update causes it to shit the bed.

Apple or google decide the app you're using and paid for no longer conforms to "their" policy so is terminated.

All those things are mitigate-able by choices made at purchase of the phone i think. User replaceable battery and screen isnt nearly as difficult as most people make it out to be, and costs a fraction of what even going to a store to replace it would cost. Updates that cause a phone to shit the bed.... well im not sure that has ever happened unless a you lost power in a bios flash? but choosing a phone or a brand that has good enough public support on something like XDA isnt hard. And rooting and flashing (on android) is easier now more than ever id say.

Now.... being reliant on the app stores? That is a choice. Choosing to use and apple phone means you agree to whatever shit show that apple lets you run. Choosing to use the play store just means you dont care enough to find another store, or just the apk yourself.

I mean i hate that companies make 1.2k USD phones, and then wash their hands of them in 3 years. I hate that google takes a fucking year to roll out a major update. But i also understand that people looking for both those things, are in the minority. With the vast majority of the public really only caring that their phone works and costs somewhere between 300 and 600 dollars.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

18 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

You can always install a custom OS/ROM onto older devices, such as the Galaxy 8 and 9 series. 

Not really.  You may never get unlocked bootloader, it will probably trip Knox or Enclave or whatever the fuck they call their security shit nowadays.  So then you're forever locked out of Pay tools or ever running corporate apps.  And then whatever custom ROM will probably break half the features of your phone because it's made by some douchey xda-dev in his spare time cobbling a bunch of shit together thinking he's god.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

This was made clear when they did their press event for it. There were even several outlets that made it clear that this was simply generations, not years. Though, really, that's basically the same thing. So. I don't really see any kind of issue with it. What people will likely be upset about is that I believe the release that comes out in the fall will be considered one of the generations. It's not that bad though. They still give you security updates well into the 3-4 year mark.

Haha, I think hoping your Note9 would make it was a bit hopeful ;)

Not sure why you'd think your phone is EOL. Just because it doesn't get the newest Android doesn't mean it's dead.

24 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I've used phones that are quite old without issue.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

made by some douchey xda-dev in his spare time cobbling a bunch of shit together thinking he's god.

But hey, for a spare time project, some of them are really good lol. But yes, I get your overall point, its not a guarantee that every series 8 and 9 owner can simply switch to another ROM, which is problematic. Personally, I have been successful with it, but many others might not have such knowledge and luck. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

5 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

All those things are mitigate-able by choices made at purchase of the phone i think. User replaceable battery and screen isnt nearly as difficult as most people make it out to be, and costs a fraction of what even going to a store to replace it would cost. Updates that cause a phone to shit the bed.... well im not sure that has ever happened unless a you lost power in a bios flash? but choosing a phone or a brand that has good enough public support on something like XDA isnt hard. And rooting and flashing (on android) is easier now more than ever id say.

If you have to use a spudger and or screw driver to change the battery then it is not a consumer friendly option.  Just because a handful of tech oriented people can doesn't mean the general consumer knows anything about it or wants to.  Even more so when it comes to replacing screens.   If the battery can't be swapped out l with no tools like they used to then it is not user replaceable. Just a simple google search will show you that many times basic updates cause phones to brick,  it is common with all phones.

Now.... being reliant on the app stores? That is a choice. Choosing to use and apple phone means you agree to whatever shit show that apple lets you run. Choosing to use the play store just means you dont care enough to find another store, or just the apk yourself.

BS,  both apple and google kicked out fortnight.  If you had bought stuff for that game you can now no longer advance in it, if you are lucky you will still be able to play with what you have.

The only options most people have are the app store and the play store and they are tied to the policies of those stores.  

I mean i hate that companies make 1.2k USD phones, and then wash their hands of them in 3 years. I hate that google takes a fucking year to roll out a major update. But i also understand that people looking for both those things, are in the minority. With the vast majority of the public really only caring that their phone works and costs somewhere between 300 and 600 dollars.

I want a phone that is built to last and is supported by the maker (both OS and hardware).  This whole 'you used it wrong"  "you need to work out how to sideload" and "you shouldn't have bought an iphone if you wanted that app to stay the same, just swap it for an android" are all the result of people allowing companies to dictate end usage and quality and do nothing about it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

But hey, for a spare time project, some of them are really good lol. But yes, I get your overall point, its not a guarantee that every series 8 and 9 owner can simply switch to another ROM, which is problematic. Personally, I have been successful with it, but many others might not have such knowledge and luck. 

You can probably guess I'm salty about a S7 (or maybe it was S6?) where I tried a custom ROM and got absolutely fucked on it :)

I then switched to iOS, also because I was tired of Samsung abandoning device support 3 months after launch with half assed "updates" that took a year to show up on the actual device and would then be minor security things or Android.1 update.  And that's how I went from buying a Galaxy S phone every year to using my 7 Plus four years after buying it new.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, I think hoping your Note9 would make it was a bit hopeful ;)

Not sure why you'd think your phone is EOL. Just because it doesn't get the newest Android doesn't mean it's dead.

I know it was being hopeful, just would have been nice for a flagship that's not too old to not be forgotten.
And I don't think my phone is EOL, quite the opposite. I was trying to make a point of how many more feature updates would it get before Samsung drops it for just security updates - as it is still quite the capable phone. (not planning on getting a new one when my contract runs out - this does everything I need and is plenty fast enough for myself).

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

43 minutes ago, WelshDdraig said:

I know it was being hopeful, just would have been nice for a flagship that's not too old to not be forgotten.
And I don't think my phone is EOL, quite the opposite. I was trying to make a point of how many more feature updates would it get before Samsung drops it for just security updates - as it is still quite the capable phone. (not planning on getting a new one when my contract runs out - this does everything I need and is plenty fast enough for myself).

I mean the phone's almost 3 years old. Not many phones get Android updates after that, and sometimes IIRC it has to do with Qualcomm, not the OEMs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I mean the phone's almost 3 years old. Not many phones get Android updates after that, and sometimes IIRC it has to do with Qualcomm, not the OEMs.

Eh - still don't like the fact that support gets dropped so soon though.
My phone has the gimped Exynos chip that's worse than the equivalent Qualcomm chip - so I'm dependent on Samsung with this one. (although I had no idea Qualcomm had a say in cycle support - considering the only Qualcomm chip phone I had was a Sony Xperia Z3 (got 1 update out of it before Google mandated the next Android was 64-bit only).

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

29 minutes ago, WelshDdraig said:

Eh - still don't like the fact that support gets dropped so soon though.
My phone has the gimped Exynos chip that's worse than the equivalent Qualcomm chip - so I'm dependent on Samsung with this one. (although I had no idea Qualcomm had a say in cycle support - considering the only Qualcomm chip phone I had was a Sony Xperia Z3 (got 1 update out of it before Google mandated the next Android was 64-bit only).

If they don't give drivers for the SoC there isn't really much you can do IIRC.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

iPhone...

• Mum 6S+ - History: 3GS
  • Dad 7+ - History: 6, 4+, 3GS
  • Brother 7+ - History: 4+
  • Partner X
  • Me Xr - History: X, 7+, 6

Not an iPhone, but I still daily drive an iPad Pro 1st gen

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Some are still shipping with Android 7.1.1 (eg. my 2018 J2 Pro)...so technically yes. That phone had it's last update towards the start of the year, since Samsung killed the J series

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

iPhone...

• Mum 6S+ - History: 3GS
  • Dad 7+ - History: 6, 4+, 3GS
  • Brother 7+ - History: 4+
  • Partner X
  • Me Xr - History: X, 7+, 6

Not an iPhone, but I still daily drive an iPad Pro 1st gen

lucky is all i can say.  I've seen more broken screens in the last 5 years than I have over the entirety of smart phone history (2003).

Considering they've been guilty of shipping phones with an outdated version of Android, putting out the update within weeks of release and then providing an update to the next android version a year later... The usual two gen of android updates are over within a year and a bit.

So three generation is good. It means we actually get the same amount of updates as others who don't ship with an outdated version of Android when the newest version has been out for months by that point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, mr moose said:

lucky is all i can say.  I've seen more broken screens in the last 5 years than I have over the entirety of smart phone history (2003).

I thought you were referring to support and overall usability at first. I don't see why phones can't last more than 3 years unless you're the type of person who literally washes their hands with oil. Studies should be done on why people like Linus can't resist dropping every single atom they get their hands on. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

We all use glass screen protectors of which we've broken plenty, but the only screen that got destroyed was my brother's when he ran over it with a tractor.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I thought you were referring to support and overall usability at first. I don't see why phones can't last more than 3 years unless you're the type of person who literally washes their hands with oil. Studies should be done on why people like Linus can't resist dropping every single atom they get their hands on. 

There is literally a screen repair shop on every corner and several popups in every mall.  Phones should not break anywhere near as much as they do.

9 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

We all use glass screen protectors of which we've broken plenty,

So without the protectors the phone would have need new screens. shouldn't have to buy protection, the device should be built better like they used to be.

9 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

but the only screen that got destroyed was my brother's when he ran over it with a tractor.

I can't blame the phone or maker for that.😄

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So without the protectors the phone would have need new screens. shouldn't have to buy protection, the device should be built better like they used to be.

I can't blame the phone or maker for that.😄

Agreed, but equally if someone was going to offer me the indestructible crappy touch screens from 2003 or a modern phone that I need to spend $20 on a protector for, I'd take today's phones all-day every-day.