Beyond USB type C; Next gen port type

A while back, 4 years back when the C just entered the market and I had the first phone to support it in 2015. I've heard about reports on a USB type D ports being in already spec and ready for an 2020 to 2022 release. And nothing thereafter. As it is going right now, I kind see the C stay for at least 5 years and moving to a new port in 8. At least till gen 5 USB and we all know how slow that moves. Probably to conicide with at least 80 gigs with Thunderbolt or if they are kinky and go for 100 even 120(300 if they want DP to use them as well unless DP goes double that). And support say 200W or 300W power. Unless they go fiber or fiber computing in 10 years using the same form factor.

Recap; being a lot of jumping, but hey, what do you think? being one of the earliest adapter, I find it boring right now like ah, that usb C again, big part being it not being not best ergonomic the the user and is not that pleasing to see after a long time with it. 

USB Type D? You mean the April Fools joke? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't really care about generation of it, as long as it is the same form factor. Not all usb-c are the same anyway, some can transfer data some can't, some can fast charge, some can't.

But there are already many generations out there if you care for that

4 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

I don't really care about generation of it, as long as it is the same form factor. Not all usb-c are the same anyway, some can transfer data some can't, some can fast charge, some can't.

(6 years later) USB 3.6 v9x420

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

There's 0 reason it couldn't be fast. As long as it had enough connectors. 

imo, wireless data transmission should be what we strive for

i dont see why we cant transfer files thru 5G wifi or smth similar

wireless charging on the other hand, i may not be on board due to the efficiency of it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, geo3 said:

Nah

explain

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Wired is better.  And the more things that are wireless the worse wireless becomes. It should only be used where necessary. 

isnt your phone connected to the wifi at home already anyways?

people who turns off their wifi manually = psychopaths

imo i would like my phone to pop up at my file explorer when i get home (with proper setup and security ofc)

since i connect to wifi anyways

would make the process more seamless

could also do nightly backup or something seamlessly

Would be nice to have a simple connector with just + - for power and optical for data transfer.

Would solve a lot of bandwidth problems, and also make the connectors less bulky by having no circuitry in them.

May be an issue for durability though if dirt gets in the port.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

23 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

(6 years later) USB 3.6 v9x420

wireless charging on the other hand, i may not be on board due to the efficiency of it

Wireless charging is the only wireless I like dealing with, because being able to set my phone down on a pad when I get home is super convenient. My phone is on my home or work wifi network, same with my laptop, but my desktop computers and other devices use ethernet when possible. The higher frequency wireless bands are iffy on a different floor or if there are a couple of walls in the way, it's not very reliable if you are doing more than casual internet browsing.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

30 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

You can't power a device through wifi. You also can't do 10GBps+ reliably on wifi right now. Not to mention the need for a wifi adapter on every device and having to configure them for each new computer you want to use them with... if we'll ever truly move past cabled connections for peripherals and storage it won't be through wifi.

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

optical

If you give a fiber cable to the average user it will get mangled and destroyed in a matter of minutes. People don't treat their cables with nearly enough care for that to be an option.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can't power a device through wifi.

yea ofc cant handle charging thru wifi, it would mean sending huge amount of power thru wireless lines and i know for a fact that it's not allowed for consumer device to transmit more than 100mW (i think) edit: sauce

You also can't do 10GBps+ reliably on wifi right now.

yea, but would be convenient if i just wanna transfer a couple photos here and there, could always plug it in if i wanna transfer large amount of files

automated nightly backup to my PC wirelessly sounds like a decent idea too imo

Not to mention the need for a wifi adapter on every device and having to configure them for each new computer you want to use them with...

could always communicate thru the network, doesnt have to connect directly right? im not a networking pro but i dont think u have to link 2 computers directly for them to communicate with each other, could do it thru a switch/router

give a fiber cable to the average user

engineer: no u cant treat fiber cables like that

user: haha fiber cable go kink

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea, but would be convenient if i just wanna transfer a couple photos here and there, could always plug it in if i wanna transfer large amount of files

automated nightly backup to my PC wirelessly sounds like a decent idea too imo

I mean... you can already do this.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

could always communicate thru the network, doesnt have to connect directly right?

You were pitching it as a USB replacement so yes, it would need to connect directly in some scenarios.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

engineer: no u cant treat fiber cables like that

user: haha fiber cable go kink

It's 4AM, time for your fiber cracking session

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

38 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

That is a big topic. For a big number of cases a wireless should be a thing. For example if I transfer an image from phone to PC. That is a small file and saves time from putting wires in holes.

But usually your download speed (of pc) will be as fast as your phone's upload speed that is in general really slow. So it's not suggested for big files. 

On the other hand when I transferred 4k videos from phone to PC via USB, took me relatively small time. I don't want to imagine my phone sending 4gb files via WiFi 5 upload limits. 

That been said we have better wireless than the wired solutions of 15 years ago.

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you give a fiber cable to the average user it will get mangled and destroyed in a matter of minutes. People don't treat their cables with nearly enough care for that to be an option.

These fiber optic cables are not as delicate as you think they are.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

These fiber optic cables are not as delicate as you think they are.

People used opt-in for audio a while ago, and there were some occasional cable failures

14 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

People used opt-in for audio a while ago, and there were some occasional cable failures

Pretty sure SPDIF cables aren't this special corning glass, those you could definitely bend too much and break.

This stuff in the video could be tied into knots and kinked and it still worked.

Spoiler

Only thing I use usb c for is my phone. However when I connect it to my PC or charger the other end is regular usb 3.

The only benefit I've seen is you don't have to try 3 ways to connect it. 

If there is another gen on they way then I can see type c passing most of us by with very little use. 

6 hours ago, Marbo said:

Only thing I use usb c for is my phone. However when I connect it to my PC or charger the other end is regular usb 3.

The only benefit I've seen is you don't have to try 3 ways to connect it. 

If there is another gen on they way then I can see type c passing most of us by with very little use. 

It is fairly used by lots of people. From charging my utrabook to transfer phone data to PC or between phone when switching, reverse charging at times and yeah, it is quite useful. But I don't want an block charger plus usb type C, so increse power delivery and so on. It is boring and to feel and is not totaly ergomic. So I do want the next gen one.

12 hours ago, PeachGr said:

I am talking about the form factor, it isn't the most ergonomic and most pleasing at the touch, or after a while at the look of it either. And to increase bandwith x4 probably have to change the form factor and increase power delivery to 300W so I won't have an clinky charging block cable.

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

11 hours ago, PeachGr said:

That is a big topic. For a big number of cases a wireless should be a thing. For example if I transfer an image from phone to PC.

It is convenient yes, but the latency and speed practicality of it of large files is faster over wires. I do have wireless transfer phone to phone and to PC and it is slow. The mirror screen big latency issues. 

13 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Why can't they just wait?! USB type C isn't even that widespread yet and they are already trying to replace it...

It is relatively widespread and as mentioned above with the form factor. Power delivery and transfer speed x3 or x4 times would be the main reason. I mean come on, we need to be on the cutting edge. It would simply enable more things and features, and replace certain other things. More unified cables. Hell, if the internet jack can be incorporated in the type C or D or next gen factor, then the vunerable ethernet can go away and then next fiber optic to the device.

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

You know what grinds my gears? The size of the female C connector on the motherboard, it's simply too small, one wrong move over the cable and it's gone.

It has to go into phone. to be universal. My thing is the handle of the connector, a bit hard to pick up and slippery at times. Not Ergo.

But yeas, in the night when lights out(I prefer that when gaming/watching movies cause more immersive). Hard to find those ports and often plug them into other ports that feel similar to the touch.