Beyond USB type C; Next gen port type

23 hours ago, Enderman said:

These fiber optic cables are not as delicate as you think they are.

They have to be treated like toxic waste because they're glass, and small enough to cause severe medical complications if the fragments are inhaled, ingested or you step on it. Most of the S/PDIF stuff is actually plastic and limited to about 10m and does not have that problem.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/article/20888616/dont-ignore-the-hazards-associated-with-fiber-optics

Microscopic glass needles. A more serious hazard of optical fiber work is the fibers themselves. Fibers are pieces of glass. And like all glass, they can cause injury.

Because of this, you need to handle fiber with care. First of all, you must be very careful when handling open fibers; that is fibers not contained in a cable. (Modern optical fiber cables are very safe, and pose no danger to you. It is when the cables open that hazards arise.) If you were to accidentally jab yourself with one of these open fibers, you could easily end up with a painful sliver. What's worse is this sliver may not be visible! Remember: These slivers are made of transparent glass and can be very difficult to see.

You'll be surprised to know that jabbing yourself with a fiber is not the most hazardous situation. The real danger is when fibers are stripped, trimmed, and cut. These operations result in short, nearly microscopic pieces of glass lying around a work area. These are short, thin, invisible needles. If they're left lying around, someone will inevitably end up touching or handling them. As sharp and thin as these glass shards are, they can easily penetrate your skin. And unlike a wood sliver, these glass slivers will not degrade inside your skin.

These cut pieces of fiber are very dangerous. If they were to end up in your lunch, they could cause internal bleeding and conceivably death.

Suffice it to say, no glass fiber in consumer electronics. This doesn't even cover people being careless and being exposed to non-visible laser light and burning their eyes.

Since fiber doesn't transmit power, this isn't the right path to go down anyway.

Any "eventual" replacement of USB-C would have to be something backwards compatible with USB-C (see the USB-B for USB 3.0) where either there's extra pins on the outside of the shell . The USB 3.0 B or Micro B, where it just extends the USB-C cable.

serveimage-2-1.jpeg?w=474

At present, this is what Dell is doing:

1154e98a750242ac110004.jpeg?_ex=600x600

50 minutes ago, Kisai said:

They have to be treated like toxic waste because they're glass, and small enough to cause severe medical complications if the fragments are inhaled, ingested or you step on it. Most of the S/PDIF stuff is actually plastic and limited to about 10m and does not have that problem.

Glass is not toxic.

And there are no fragments to inhale, it doesn't break.

Did you even watch the video?

Suffice it to say, no glass fiber in consumer electronics. This doesn't even cover people being careless and being exposed to non-visible laser light and burning their eyes.

HAHAHAHAHAH do you know what PCBs are made of???

PS- fiber optics don't need laser light, they often just use LEDs.

Since fiber doesn't transmit power, this isn't the right path to go down anyway.

You missed the part where I said + - and fiber.

+ and - means positive and ground, aka copper cable.

Any "eventual" replacement of USB-C would have to be something backwards compatible with USB-C (see the USB-B for USB 3.0) where either there's extra pins on the outside of the shell . The USB 3.0 B or Micro B, where it just extends the USB-C cable.

USB C is not phisically backwards compatible with USB A, so there is nothing that says the next connector has to be backwards compatible with C.

If you're talking about protocols, look at thunderbolt 3, it's not backwards compatible with USB.

Also, you can always put an optical to serial converter inside a connector.

How do you think all the optical HDMI or thunderbolt cables work?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

Glass is not toxic.

And there are no fragments to inhale, it doesn't break.

Did you even watch the video?

Did you even read the thing I linked to, or the part I quoted? Licensed Electricians who install fiber optic cables will tell you this. It's potentially fatal to handle carelessly. 

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

Did you even read the thing I linked to, or the part I quoted? Licensed Electricians who install fiber optic cables will tell you this. It's potentially fatal to handle carelessly. 

1) The cables used for installations are not the same as the corning fibers in the video that I linked, they are silica.

2) When making cable installations you need to cleave fibers, if you buy a premade optical cable like SPDIF or optical HDMI you're not cutting the cable for any reason so it is not dangerous.

3) The cables are all jacketed, so even if you do manage to break one any fragments will be contained inside the thick jacket.

4) The fibers are micrometers in diameter, there is far too little glass there to be "potentially fatal" unless you're trying to eat the entire fiber lmao

5) Working with fiberglass without a mask is unhealthy and can cause breathing issues yet people regularly do it without dying. And that's like 100000x more glass fragments than one optical cable. Fiberglass is literally millions of fibers in a sheet.

6) There are plenty of optical cables available already and nobody has died. Linus has done a bunch of videos on optical thunderbolt. I own an optical HDMI cable. It's like any other cable. https://www.amazon.ca/Optical-Fiber-HDMI-Cable-100ft/dp/B07S9PJPYY/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=optical+hdmi&qid=1595614911&sr=8-4

7) You seem to be one of those people who is super paranoid about even the smallest concern, blowing it out of proportion. It's not a big deal. Like, at all. 🤣

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 7/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Caroline said:

Yes but the world would've been a better place if B was used instead of A for peripherals and chargers.

USB-Type-B-male-to-USB-B-female-Printer-Panel-Mount-Extension-Sync-Cable-Cord-USB.jpg

Apple would have there own standard that would be thinner reinvented. I wish i could reinvent my thinness and stay thin rather then lapsing so often. And A just look better, feel better.  So as fat is unhealthy, so goes with cables plus wouldn't want another proprietary connection(remember firewire, could do a firewire rediscover fire 2.0). 

On 7/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, NZgamer said:

I get that cutting edge hardware is cool but it's going to be hard to get consumers to stay on top of it for lots of reasons. Every phone in my household is still on Micro USB

You definitely are behind the curve or the end of the train. Well if you are in that swiss slow train, relax in the morning jog to 1 km before the train and come back to get on the train at 300m(the train do not stop). Enjoy life, take it free and easy as it goes.

On 7/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, VegetableStu said:

because it was an april the first publication

https://www.datapro.net/news/usb-type-d-connector-unveiled.html

;) I do know the end product will look different because there is no way it will be like that.

23 hours ago, Marbo said:

Z.jpg.11a3768d9b7c225b6cec6c566251f551.jpg

Finally have 88mph without radioactive product that could be dangerous in the hand of a wrong time travel.  My imagination is going wild. It would be a win for humanity. Gauss gun, gauss tank, gauss rocket launching platform and rocket, gauss spaceship, gauss suboceanship(as in subocean spaceship). Finally realize the future we imagined 50 years ago or even 100 years ago. Like the core's flagship *virgil*. Hell Jules Verne's machines would be finally possible. With modern and future tech rather than mechanical and steam punk tech. But we can finally unleash the energy source of the Nautilus. If we can only make an battery to have say 76GWH. Maybe one day in the future.