RTX 3080 image (maybe?)

porina

Do you like the looks of the cooler?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the looks of the cooler?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • It's ok
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

you're just repeating yourself. please go open mspaint and explain visually

Spoiler

SQW69DD.png

TrappedAir.thumb.png.4bd0ca00386842e79f0d77836eda2137.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The Sapphire card pictured earlier, mounted in a typical tower case, would push some of the hot air upwards to what could be the intake of the CPU cooler. With sufficient airflow it is probably not a big deal, assuming the CPU isn't on the edge already.

My problem with conventional cards is once they push the air towards the board, the only escapes are limited. I nearly cooked an M.2 SSD which was located under such a GPU before. The hot GPU air blasted it, and got recirculated as it had nowhere else to escape.

Thats the case if you have bad airflow. New shorter cases have intake fans closer to the gpu and will push fresh air into that area quite easily. Older larger cases need a second fan closer to the gpu to keep the fresh air going where you need it. Some cases have fan slots on hdd-cages and on some you could use hot glue or 90 degree angles to add a "repeater fan" to get better air circulation there(Fractal Define r-series for example).

Just now, Jeppes said:

Thats the case if you have bad airflow

That's more complicated than that, @porina got it right.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That's more complicated than that, @porina got it right.

Its not. And its hard to get air trapped where you marked it when a gpu fan is pushing new hot air constantly to that spot. There is warm air there when the gpu is running but in no way is it trapped there.

14 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You mean right directly in front of that 140mm exaust fan?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

You mean right directly in front of that 140mm exaust fan?

No,what i marked in red and pointed at it.

6 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Its not. And its hard to get air trapped where you marked it when a gpu fan is pushing new hot air constantly to that spot. There is warm air there when the gpu is running but in no way is it trapped there.

If you put your fingers on both sides you will feel the the difference bacause of the trapped hot air...

I am not sure if you can stick your finger there though,and there is the risk of injury or your finger getting stuck...

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

No,what i marked in red and pointed at it.

So yes.  Or close enough to yes anyway.  This is the problem with predicting hydrodynamics.  Would the draw of the exaust fan reach down that far?  Maybe, maybe not.  A single bent 3m note could change everything.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

A single bent 3m note could change everything.

It will make a difference but the air will still get trapped due to the amounts of air that has to go through that tiny vent.

This is the problem with predicting hydrodynamics.

That's not hydrodynamics, it's Aerodynamics,

The PC isn't submerged in water,right?...

the reason why i'll never buy reference 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

47 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There certainly might be one.  This is part of my complaint about those Manila tags.

I don't think their is a barrier.There can be a large opening letting air through and out the heatsinks.

174239vr70d9ct7c0rg694.png.34b1ea45cb09373db168044515e4fcdd.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

20 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It will make a difference but the air will still get trapped due to the amounts of air that has to go through that tiny vent.

That's not hydrodynamics, it's Aerodynamics,

The PC isn't submerged in water,right?...

Re pieces of paper

It was an example.  You may be right.  You may not.  That’s the point.

Re hydrodynamics

Aerodynamics IS hydrodynamics.  Air is a fluid for purposes of mathematics.  So is automobile traffic believe it or not.  There’s actually a system on the minneapolis freeway that got installed in the 1960’s based on this.  There was a right wing radio DJ in town named joe “Su chu ray” (I don’t know how it’s spelled) who went on for years about how stupid it was for just this reason.  They finally did tests some years ago because he was developing a following on the subject.  Cost a couple million dollars and took a week or two.  Turns out math is still a thing. They did manage to tweak and optimize it a bit but changes were near zero.

Re hydrodynamics

Aerodynamics IS hydrodynamics.  Air is a fluid for purposes of mathematics.  So is automobile traffic believe it or not.  There’s actually a system on the minneapolis freeway that got installed in the 1960’s based on this.  There was a right wing radio DJ in town named joe “Su chu ray” (I don’t know how it’s spelled) who went on for years about how stupid it was for just this reason.  They finally did tests some years ago because he was developing a following on the subject.  Cost a couple million dollars and took a week or two.  Turns out math is still a thing. They did manage to tweak and optimize it a bit but changes were near zero.

The mass and density of water creates significant resistance to a movement of a fan,as a result the fan must work harder in order to move the same volume it did with air.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

The mass and density of water creates significant resistance to a movement of a fan,as a result the fan must work harder in order to move the same volume it did with air.

So a switch from mass and density to volume.  How much mass does it move?  Would you prefer the word “fluid dynamics”?  One could say aerodynamics and hydrodynamics and automobile traffic are all fluid dynamics.  Or I could call everything aerodynamics including how water sprinklers work, or I could call it all automobile traffic systems.  They’re all the same math.

3 minutes ago, TaRaTaTa said:

It's disgusting!

?

How much mass does it move?

What matters is the volume it moves,you want as much air as possible to go through.

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

What matters is the volume it moves,you want as much air as possible to go through.

You want to cool the thing.  So what matters is the amount of heat that can be absorbed.  But you’re the one that switched measurement systems mid jump.   It doesn’t disprove the point.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So what matters is the amount of heat that can be absorbed

Air just moves the heat away,it can't "absorb" like water due to the difference in thermal conductivity between the two.

17 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Air just moves the heat away,it can't absorb like water due to the difference in thermal conductivity between the two.

It cant absorb as well.  There’s a coefficient one uses.  I can’t remember what it’s called.  I vaguely recall water being the base so distilled water is 1.0. Theres pressure too though.  Ambient air is something like ~15 psi and it’s got a certain amount of water vapor in it that also changes.  Makes stuff complicated.  They’re very different for water and air.  This usually means one need a whole bunch more air to do the same job.  In the end it is still the same job though.  It does absorb “like” it though. 

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Thats quite a bold statement though.

I am not saying that you are wrong, there may very well be a case where this will occur but there is just too many factors to consider.

The type of case you use, the fan configuration in the case you have, the CPU cooler may play a huge impact as well (something like Ryzen Wraith cooler will affect the airflow in that area quite a bit differently than a tower cooler like Noctua NH D-14 for example), heck even picking a lower PCIe slot position for the card will make a difference...

You could make a statement about making hot air "pockets" in the case about almost anything because it really comes down to way too many factors.

Depending on wattage, this looks to more function over form given the extra fins for surface area. At the end of the day, it's in the case and out of sight. Meh 

IMHO, it should all be fins and fan. I could care less about the aesthetics. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

absorb

That's basically thermal conductivity.

Air thermal conductivity: 0.024 W/m K

Water thermal conductivity: 0.6145 W/m K

It's a huge difference...

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s a coefficient one uses

That's what makes it fluid dynamics and not hydrodynamics or aerodynamics...

You used the wrong term...