RTX 3080 image (maybe?)

porina

Do you like the looks of the cooler?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the looks of the cooler?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • It's ok
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Instead of blowing hot air unto the card and then exhausting it,the fan at the right side will blow cool air unto the heatpipes and fins,and immediately exhaust the hot air without blowing it unto the board,increasing the efficiency of the cooler.

Yeah but the only way for it to do that is to blow the air onto the board first and i imagine that would create all kinds of static pressure issues.

7 hours ago, CarlBar said:

I was commenting on the drawn airflow on the image. It had airflow going out sideways from the fan with orange and yellow lines, but thanks to the shroud aroud the blades it can't do that, it can only exit out the bottom of the fan.

One thing I hadn't noticed up to now is that the surround is attached to the fins, as opposed to a fixed frame like in most case fans. Still, from the image I estimate the thickness of the fan is around 1 slot worth, so you still have up to a slot worth of depth for the air to escape to the sides under the fan. Now that wouldn't leave much depth for a heatsink immediately under the fan, so that might be dedicated to lower power components that are not so high in heat production. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

Meh, we should stop caring how it looks. I mean it doesn't even matter if you are going to water cool it or chuck it in a case. As long as the cooler is Better in terms of efficiency at cooling. That is good enough. Besides there will be many other variants besides reference 

We care because its a very unique and interesting cooling solution for a graphics card.

We don't know yet how well it will perform but its definitely something that's worth talking about.

It reminds me of the Sapphire Fury Tri-X card a little bit but they put one fan on the opposite side and closed it off with a different zone for cooling from the PCB side.

spacer.png

And this was 3-fan card btw... so how much shorter is the PCB on the rumored pictures compared to Fury X?

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

Instead of blowing hot air unto the card and then exhausting it,the fan at the right side will blow cool air unto the heatpipes and fins,and immediately exhaust the hot air without blowing it unto the board,increasing the efficiency of the cooler.

You mean, like all the blower cards? Also I have a problem with fan design. They have directional blades with closed sides (like those eLoop fans). These are meant to create a column of air exiting the fan. And hitting PCB in this case. One would think regular open blades fan would be there to push air to the side after it enters the shroud.

I dont understand why they had to put the second fan on the back of the card, it would look 10x better If both fans were on the front like a traditional card. The fan would still be blowing air through the same part of the heatsink, so why did they put it on the back? (I'm not an aerodynamics expert so please enlighten me)

Also the card will be facing down for most builds, so why would they want to push hot exhaust down?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

So fans on both sides of the card, but at opposite side of the ends. It's going to be interesting to see how the air flow is. Front fan blows air into the case, Rear fan blows air out?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Yeah but the only way for it to do that is to blow the air onto the board first and i imagine that would create all kinds of static pressure issues.

The fan on the right side has no PCB under it.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:
6 hours ago, WereCat said:

spacer.png

please, AIB partners, please more cards like this (serious)

The problem with that design is that with this fin design the air will blow unto the motherboard and the side panel,

Which is not ideal due to the hot air blowing unto the motherboard,heating the area of the motherboard and heat getting trapped between the motherboard and the card...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Front fan blows air into the case, Rear ran blow air out?

Correct.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The problem with that design is that with this fin design the air will blow unto the motherboard and the side panel,

Which is not ideal due to the hot air blowing unto the motherboard,heating the area of the motherboard and heat getting trapped between the motherboard and the card...

The air is definitely not "cool" but its a common misconception to assume that the warm air will heat up other components. 

Most often than not, the "hot" air is still cooler than the components on the board so it will still cool them. 

The fan on the right side has no PCB under it.

I agree that the picture of the prototype 3080 might be better than this because it pushes some of the air out the back of the case through the rear I/o slot and then reverses the fan on the other half to push the hot air down rather than up.  There’s so much that could be deceiving about those pic though it’s hard to tell for sure.  I’m not convinced this is even an inferior design.  Testing and actual eyes on the device would be what matters. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, WereCat said:

The air is definitely not "cool" but its a common misconception to assume that the warm air will heat up other components. 

Most often than not, the "hot" air is still cooler than the components on the board so it will still cool them. 

I never said that the SAPPHIRE design heats components on the motherboard,i said that it caused heat to get trapped between the motherboard and the card.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Correct.

That's just dumb,

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sounds like a case airflow problem ._.

It's not really related to the case,because the fin design directs air to the area between the motherboard and the card,front case fans will just push the air to the back of the case but the hot air is still trapped.

Only open air will solve this problem or something in between.

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That's just dumb,

I don’t think so but I also don’t know that you two are thinking the same thing.   In any case this may not be the final design so none of it may matter.  Hydrodynamics is wacky and unpredictable.  I think that’s the reason Nvidia and AMD went with reference blower only cards for so long.  Getting the air out of the case from the get go drastically simplifies things.  From what I think may be happening with the 3080 design (and it’s only think because info is so very limited) the case connection side fan with blows air entirely out of the case or blows some air out of the case and some air exausts out the side fins into the case.  The other fan either blows air through the side fins into the case or does something very similar to the sapphire card but in the other direction.  On the 3080 I’m unsure of the operation of one fan and Very unsure of the operation of the other. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how the heck does hot air get recirculated there? you'll need the case itself to be closed-in for that to be a problem

Even a front mesh case will get hot air trapped with this card,it's a problematic area with this fin design,

The hot air will just get pushed to the back of the case and stay trapped there,as i said before the only solution to it is open air or something in between.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t think so but I also don’t know that you two are thinking the same thing.   In any case this may not be the final design so none of it may matter.  Hydrodynamics is wacky and unpredictable.  I think that’s the reason Nvidia and AMD went with reference blower only cards for so long.  Getting the air out of the case from the get go drastically simplifies things.  From what I think may be happening with the 3080 design (and it’s only think because info is so very limited) the case connection side fan with blows air entirely out of the case or blows some air out of the case and some air exausts out the side fins into the case.  The other fan either blows air through the side fins into the case or does something very similar to the sapphire card but in the other direction.  On the 3080 I’m unsure of the operation of one fan and Very unsure of the operation of the other. 

Both Nvidia and AMD had blower cards, but it only has a single fan at the back, and blows air out the exhaust and that makes sense. This on the other had, it's a bit odd. So both fans blows at opposite directions and the air collides with each other and gets expelled through the center, which is why there is a huge chunk of heat sink.

Their fan placement is like having both the front and rear case fans as intake.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

are you talking about the board area around the PCIe socket?

Yes,front case fans help with this but it's still a problem.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Hydrodynamics is wacky and unpredictable.

Aero = Air

Hydro = Water

I know Aerodynamics quite well but Hydrodynamics is a whole different story.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

So both fans blows at opposite directions and the air collides with each other and gets expelled through the center

There is a barrier between the right side and the left side so no collision here.

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Both Nvidia and AMD had blower cards, but it only has a single fan at the back, and blows air out the exhaust and that makes sense. This on the other had, it's a bit odd. So both fans blows at opposite directions and the air collides with each other and gets expelled through the center, which is why there is a huge chunk of heat sink.

Their fan placement is like having case fans for both fan and rear as intake.

That’s one possible.  There seem to be several competing theories on how the thing functions. There is also weirdness in the picture.  Those Manila tags obscure the center section a lot hampering knowledge of how the card 

might work.  They’re so hampering I mistrust their seemingly random presence.  Several parts of the thing could be solid textured plastic or fins, and one small blow up of one section showed irregularities that implied fins in what one would assume would be a useless area.  The irregularities could also be 3D printing stuff too though which throws the whole thing into doubt.  There are still many possibles including “the entire thing is a fake”

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

you're just repeating yourself. please go open mspaint and explain visually

SQW69DD.png

Predicting hydrodynamics is so difficult it is perilously close to a fools errand. 

There is a barrier between the right side and the left side so no collision here.

What barrier, all I see is Nvidia doing some interesting design on their cooler. The fan isn't even a blower, where blower is mostly the same thickness as the card, Axial fans showed in the pic are much thinner. Looking at the back side (where is says RTX 3080), We can see the PCB is cut off where the rear fan starts. 3080.jpg.647a268f7a937bbe1ae02feb88cfaa00.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What barrier, all I see is Nvidia doing some interesting design on their cooler. The fan isn't even a blower, where blower is mostly the same thickness as the card, Axial fans showed in the pic are much thinner. Looking at the back side (where is says RTX 3080), We can see the PCB is cut off where the rear fan starts. 3080.jpg.647a268f7a937bbe1ae02feb88cfaa00.jpg

There certainly might be one.  This is part of my complaint about those Manila tags.

Double post

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are still many possibles including “the entire thing is a fake”

Fake or not, AIB don't need to follow Nvidia's reference cooler design, unless Nvidia decides to add some power delivery components on the backside of the card, which forces all AIB to install a fan.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

The Sapphire card pictured earlier, mounted in a typical tower case, would push some of the hot air upwards to what could be the intake of the CPU cooler. With sufficient airflow it is probably not a big deal, assuming the CPU isn't on the edge already.

My problem with conventional cards is once they push the air towards the board, the only escapes are limited. I nearly cooked an M.2 SSD which was located under such a GPU before. The hot GPU air blasted it, and got recirculated as it had nowhere else to escape.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible