Death of the PC

HeaT

So according to The Gadget Show(UK Tech review show) they think by 2014 Desktop computers will be a thing of the past.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/death-of-the-desktop-pc-series-19-episode-1

People outside of the EU may not be able to watch it but for the people who can... It's laughable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4JIg-68gg#t=0

So what your saying is that by this year PC's will be a thing of the past.... Hahahaha!! yeah right.

The way I see it is that mobile devices are a good add on for some things like social networking and videos but I will always use my PC for everything else.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

lol nope, true kings of performance are super computers designed for heavy calculations and in the future, quantum computing

I have one in my garage.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Never!!

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

lol nope, true kings of performance are super computers designed for heavy calculations and in the future, quantum computing

But an ordinary person can't go out and buy a supercomputer, can they? We're talking about computers for consumers.

But an ordinary person can't go out and buy a supercomputer, can they? We're talking about computers for consumers.

true true... just saying those are the true rules of performance ;)

They also did a review about gaming PCs. 

They had a pre built PC (most likely Alienware) and a self built PC for half the price. The bench marking they did was such a joke!

Pretty much this: They had both computers running Max Payne 3 and fraps to show the FPS. The pre built PC had Vsync on which limited the FPS to 60 and the self build had vsync off.

The presenter then went on about how the self build gets higher FPS and costs ££ less. 

My face hit the desk so hard.

"Ortis joins Rachel and Jason to tell us why the desktop PC has gone the way of the dodo and we should be throwing the beige boxes of yesteryear to the scrapheap"

"Beige boxes"  "yesteryear"

Louis-CK-Scratches-His-Head.gif

Yeah... The UK is never right about tech predictions.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That is without a doubt absolute NONSENSE! I'm still using my PC and plan to build a new one this year. Where do they get this information from, Apple? :o:D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If they are saying Desktop PC's are going to be extinct then I'll say meh. Hardcore guys and those who need performance will still be using desktops. However I think most people are switching to Laptops. I'm in high school and I am literally one of the handful of my classmates who still has a desktop. Everyone has a laptop these days because they are more convenient. When my friend came over for a project a while back he commented on how he thought it would be nice it would be to type on a full keyboard like mine.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

How would the gadget show and any program for that matter create episodes without highend PCs... Goodbye TV RIP 2014

I read somewhere that this is going to be the first year the PC's outsell consoles so....

CPUi5 4670K Cooler: ThermalTake Frio MoBo: Asus Maximus VI Hero RamRed Corsair Vengeance Pro 8 Gb 1866Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CUII CaseEnermax Red Ostrog GT Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120 Gb, HDD- 500 GB Seagate PSUSeasonic X660 (80+ Gold Certified)

The record calculation for a quantum computer is a two number sum of less than twenty. And super computers are not designed for performance but rather reliability to stay on 24/7 transferring large amounts of data. 

The other problem is that for tablets and phones to exist they need computers to host the servers in which data is transferred from one place to another.

The record calculation for a quantum computer is a two number sum of less than twenty. And super computers are not designed for performance but rather reliability to stay on 24/7 transferring large amounts of data. 

The other problem is that for tablets and phones to exist they need computers to host the servers in which data is transferred from one place to another.

notice how I said FUTURE ;)

Hahahahaha. They point out that better hard drive capacity on desktops is a thing of the past, you can now get 1TB USB sticks for mobile computing!

They fail to mention it costs £930 quid.

You could buy 10 x 3TB drives for that price. That's 30 times greater capacity.

Even living in the UK I've never seen or heard of this show before, is it always so retarded? Cause I suspect there might be some comedy gold in there somewhere.

You know, when I create content, nothing beats the inaccurate, limited and unresponsive interface of a tablet. I also love how it only has about a tenth the horse power of my desktop. So awesome.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)