Death of the PC

HeaT

hahahaha. no

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Bunch of retards over there lol

I hope you mean over there on Channel 5! And not the UK generally.

Think of it like this, if Fox News had an equivalent in the UK, it would probably be shown on Channel 5.

*sigh* I remember when The Gadget Show used to be good... They were never the most accurate but was entertaining with interesting content. That was a loooong time ago though :(

| CPUAMD FX-6350 4.2Ghz | MotherboardGigabyte: GA-78LMT-USB3 | RAM16 GBytes DDR3 | GPUMSI AMD Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr IV OC Edition | PSU: Corsair 650W Modular +Gold Certified | Storage: 2 TB HDD |

I read somewhere that this is going to be the first year the PC's outsell consoles so....

what ever you read, they are very very wrong, pc's ALWAYS outsell consoles. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I used to love the show and actually watched this episode (some of it anyway). Its gone south in recent years.

This episode was just awful though, claiming the Desktop is dead but then go on to post memory alternatives for £900+ (as posted above) and an alienware laptop for nearly £2000 as good alternatives..... They also reviewed portable handhelds this week. Here is what they reviewed:

• PS Vita
  • WikiPad thingy
  • Nvidia Shield

Notice something missing? Perhaps a certain market leader? Something with two screens? One of them 3D (Or not with 2DS).... Yep they reviewed a selection of HANDHELD consoles and did not even mention the Nintendo 3DS. WTF! Then of course they reviewed cameras (for the thousandth time, they might as well call it the Camera and Competition Show). The robots bit was fun but didn't show the really cool stuff.

I found an image to sum up my feelings towards this episode:

g1359166629958441808.jpg

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I found myself yelling at the screen how much of a better PC you could build for those prices. A 1TB stick is cool, but it's the same cost as a high end PC.

This is seriously painful to watch,

I know they're talking to the general consumer... BUT think about all those times you need performance that desktop just doesn't give you! One example Video Editing... and no one in their right mind would spend £1000 on a USB memory stick... at least no one with a normal income...

Gadget show man... Gadget show... :angry:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

The desktop will never die!

- Said the 1% of computer users in the world.

The desktop practically IS dead. Cloud computing is the future whether you like it or not.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

- Said the 1% of computer users in the world.

The desktop practically IS dead. Cloud computing is the future whether you like it or not.

This is what I wanted to post in the comments seciton on the page but to you is good to ;)

I think there are some people that would disagree with you Gadget Show.

Also WTH are you talking about. Think about all those things that your people use at Channel 5 to run everything about this TV show... Oh yeah a Desktop PC. FOR Video Editing, for VFX for, Audio editing... Also Live television the VM (vision mixer) the Producer at the side, the audio guys, everyone guess what? Using Desktop Computers.  What about the HUGE amounts of data that you guys have to go through you can't afford to buy a ton of £1000 1tb memory sticks or cloud storage for editing, it's just not plausible. I bet you edited this show on a server with HDDs, just saying.  All I've pointed out so far is what Channel 5 uses Desktop Computers for and this is just the beginning of what you would be using them for and just a miniscule amount of what the world uses them for. We just don't have the money, or we need more performance, think about Desktop PC gaming... That £2,648.99 not £1,998.99 as you posted it as, is not a viable option for gaming.. Hardly anyone has that kind of money, let alone a £1000 USB memory Stick. You could buy/build your own Desktop PC with a 3 TB HDD for that kind of money. Actually even more. Ok I'm done ranting now. have a good day.

I know you point this show towards the GENERAL consumer, but the custom built PC market is rising, due to price to performance... You just can't get the same in a mobile devices without a HUGE price increase. It's just not viable YET.

PROFILEYEAH

This is what I wanted to post in the comments seciton on the page but to you is good to ;)

I think there are some people that would disagree with you Gadget Show.

Also WTH are you talking about. Think about all those things that your people use at Channel 5 to run everything about this TV show... Oh yeah a Desktop PC. FOR Video Editing, for VFX for, Audio editing... Also Live television the VM (vision mixer) the Producer at the side, the audio guys, everyone guess what? Using Desktop Computers.  What about the HUGE amounts of data that you guys have to go through you can't afford to buy a ton of £1000 1tb memory sticks or cloud storage for editing, it's just not plausible. I bet you edited this show on a server with HDDs, just saying.  All I've pointed out so far is what Channel 5 uses Desktop Computers for and this is just the beginning of what you would be using them for and just a miniscule amount of what the world uses them for. We just don't have the money, or we need more performance, think about Desktop PC gaming... That £2,648.99 not £1,998.99 as you posted it as, is not a viable option for gaming.. Hardly anyone has that kind of money, let alone a £1000 USB memory Stick. You could buy/build your own Desktop PC with a 3 TB HDD for that kind of money. Actually even more. Ok I'm done ranting now. have a good day.

I know you point this show towards the GENERAL consumer, but the custom built PC market is rising, due to price to performance... You just can't get the same in a mobile devices without a HUGE price increase. It's just not viable YET.

Yeah I don't think you understand what people mean when they say it's dead. The desktop PC isn't dead now, but it will be eventually. As soon as cloud computation is available on a scale big enough and accessible enough for everyone to use, the desktop is dead.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

"You simply don't need a desktop anymore" Yeah right, I'd have more luck trying to get Cersei Lannister to sleep with me than play crysis 3 on my phone

-Turkey with a vengeance 

Yeah I don't think you understand what people mean when they say it's dead. The desktop PC isn't dead now, but it will be eventually. As soon as cloud computation is available on a scale big enough and accessible enough for everyone to use, the desktop is dead.

In 5,10,20 years perhaps. But they had the arrogance to say it was dead NOW or at least dead this year, 2014.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Yeah, with our data caps, that's really gonna take off, isn't it?

There's quite a bit of tech that will need to be improved and developed before that happens. It's like saying cars are dead once we develop teleportation. 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

The custom pc market has a very very long way to go to catch up with mainstream vendors (88 million units every 3 months), and those are the units that are being replaced with tablets because word processing and email can be done on just about anything these days.  

"You simply don't need a desktop anymore" Yeah right, I'd have more luck trying to get Cersei Lannister to sleep with me than play crysis 3 on my phone

It may not be dying as fast as they say, but gamers barely make up 6% of desktop owners, so the fact you can't play crysis 3 on your phone won't change much.  The common desktop is a dying form factor.

It's like saying cars are dead once we develop teleportation. 

Ooh, I hope so.  no more cars means more materials and energy for better living.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah, with our data caps, that's really gonna take off, isn't it?

There's quite a bit of tech that will need to be improved and developed before that happens. It's like saying cars are dead once we develop teleportation.

You're just repeating what I said but trying to disagree, stop it

In 5,10,20 years perhaps. But they had the arrogance to say it was dead NOW or at least dead this year, 2014.

It may come a little sooner than you profess

The custom pc market has a very very long way to go to catch up with mainstream vendors (88 million units every 3 months), and those are the units that are being replaced with tablets because word processing and email can be done on just about anything these days.  

Don't just snip this out of context, I also talked about the professional market as well... Channel 5 I assure you will have a desktop for their work for a VERY long time.

But eventually this might change... not in 2014...

You're talking about Consumers yes. But the Desktop is going to stay in the consumer market and Pro market for a while is my prediction...

EDIT:

Also I agree with what you are saying... There's going to be a market for desktops for things that aren't just emails and word though...

They said 2014...  :mellow:  With someone that has 2mb/s download and .4 mb/s upload I very much doubt it will be soon, unless ISPs get their act together...

EDIT:

They also suggested a £1000 USB memory stick man... MAN D: What 'general consumer' can afford that!

PROFILEYEAH

Desktop PC's are more important then many think, they are used to edit movies, in design, for gaming, in the production of music and they are overall powerhouses. I'm sorry but even some of the most powerful laptops would struggle to do some of those things, especially without overheating. Yes they may eventually phase out but not until technology makes some big announcements. Absolutely terrible prediction.

Don't just snip this out of context, I also talked about the professional market as well... Channel 5 I assure you will have a desktop for their work for a VERY long time.

I didn't consider workstations to be the same as desktops,  And TBH I still don't, a video editing station is not a desktop in the same way a bus is not a car.

EDIT: the reason I snipped was because I really only wanted to talk to the point you made about custom pcs being a growing market.  While they are growing, in the scheme of the article it seemed a moot point.

Desktop PC's are more important then many think, they are used to edit movies, in design, for gaming, in the production of music and they are overall powerhouses. I'm sorry but even some of the most powerful laptops would struggle to do some of those things, especially without overheating. Yes they may eventually phase out but not until technology makes some big announcements. Absolutely terrible prediction.

See above,  workstations are different.

Although, I agree it won't be this year for desktops, maybe 5 and 10 for gamers, And this prediction isn't based on current technology, I feel within 5-10 years their will be soc implementations that make today's desktops feel and perform like yesterdays celeron laptops.

I didn't consider workstations to be the same as desktops,  And TBH I still don't, a video editing station is not a desktop in the same way a bus is not a car.

EDIT: the reason I snipped was because I really only wanted to talk to the point you made about custom pcs being a growing market.  While they are growing, in the scheme of the article it seemed a moot point.

See above,  workstations are different.

Although, I agree it won't be this year for desktops, maybe 5 and 10 for gamers, And this prediction isn't based on current technology, I feel within 5-10 years their will be soc implementations that make today's desktops feel and perform like yesterdays celeron laptops.

Exactly 5-10 years.. I agree. When things get better in that region... Not now. Not 2014

Also you kidding me A workstation is still a desktop PC :S what else would it be!?

PROFILEYEAH

Also you kidding me A workstation is still a desktop PC :S what else would it be!?

Yes, it technically is a desktop pc, although there are several distinct differences between a workstation and a consumer grade desktop like an hp or acer.  And some of dells servers look and can be used as desktop pcs too, but they are not, they are servers.  How many professionals do you know that edit video on a standard desktop pc?

Yes, it technically is a desktop pc, although there are several distinct differences between a workstation and a consumer grade desktop like an hp or acer.  And some of dells servers look and can be used as desktop pcs too, but they are not, they are servers.  How many professionals do you know that edit video on a standard desktop pc?

Quite a few actually ... But mainly Content creation actually, not video editing, so like the banners at the bottom of a news show.

PROFILEYEAH

Quite a few actually ... But mainly Content creation actually, not video editing, so like the banners at the bottom of a news show.

And I would not be surprised if in five years that kind of work can be done on tablets.  All I'm saying is there is a difference and as much as the OP's tv show is wrong, I don't think they were referring to workstations.

So according to The Gadget Show(UK Tech review show) they think by 2014 Desktop computers will be a thing of the past.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/death-of-the-desktop-pc-series-19-episode-1

People outside of the EU may not be able to watch it but for the people who can... It's laughable...

I was thinking the same thing

Edit: someone tweet them the star citizen trailer

I actually dont think it will be possible to ever match the performance you can put in a desktop to a laptop or phone.