Death of the PC

HeaT

And I would not be surprised if in five years that kind of work can be done on tablets.  All I'm saying is there is a difference and as much as the OP's tv show is wrong, I don't think they were referring to workstations.

I find it ironic though, as they would be creating some of their content on Desktop PCs, also I agree with you in a few years, yes it might be dead, but not 2014, as they said.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I find it ironic though, as they would be creating some of their content on Desktop PCs, also I agree with you in a few years, yes it might be dead, but not 2014, as they said.

like all the script monkeys and secretaries, not to mention payroll and kronos.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Custom built PCs (gaming or otherwise) are a very niche area. So are workstations. 

Mobile devices are excellent for the majority of users who focus mostly on content consumption as opposed to creation. Tablet/Mobile hardware is also constantly improving, and it won't be long before we see desktop-level performance in mobile form factors. Ultrabooks will give the best of both worlds: high performance and increased mobility. 

Really the only two main desktop markets are workstations and gaming. If workstation-grade hardware can be made in mobile form factors, ultrabooks with a docking solution can and probably will replace large workstation desktops. 

Workstations can actually be replaced by thin clients and a centralized datacenter to run large-scale applications, so even that can be eliminated unless working locally is crucial (depending on how network technology advances, even that might not be necessary). Same goes for gaming desktops through cloud gaming services (Nvidia GRID). 

Desktop PCs are really on its way out. Not dead, by all means, but on its way out. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

- Said the 1% of computer users in the world.

The desktop practically IS dead. Cloud computing is the future whether you like it or not.

Sure, now the ISP are trothling everyone who even uses youtube or Netflix, I can't see me using a pc where I have to wait half an hour to buffer a high quality 1080p video.

"It's like all common sense just goes out of the window when a computer is involved."

Guys, guys....they're completely right. Desktops are done. Please join me out back in 15 minutes to unceremoniously throw our rigs in the dumpster.

In the meantime, I'm going to go play Flappy Bird and take twice as long to write an email because my thumbs are too big.

Supposedly the desktop was dead 10 yrs ago, we are suppose to have flying cars, and be living on mars by now too. I don't see the desktop pc dying off completely for at least another decade and even longer in the business world, infact I am will to bet businesses will still be using desktop pcs 30 yrs from now, for one because many corporate leaders are cheap and stingy they are not going to reinvest in new technology until the old stuff absolutely will not work anymore, and two most places still like to have a back up on their premises especially if it is really sensitive data they don't want on the cloud. Also at least here in America until our awful satanic ISPs getting off there greedy high horse and start investing their record profits into improving their networks and upping speed and pulling off data caps and stop throttling connections, cloud computing is not going to happen, and there will be many yrs and court cases and lawsuits other bureaucratic bs before that happens. One day they will be, but I can't see it being less then 10 yrs on the consumer side and less then 30 on the business side. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Cable tv is supposedly dead too, but there are still millions and millions of people who use, sure it will gradually phase out, but cable tv will still be around 20 yrs from now, I think once the current over 40 age group dies off cable tv will be dead, I hardly know anyone my age that actually has Cable tv. Desktop pcs will be a gradual death just like Cable tv, something that phases out over the course of a few decades versus being dead in a yr. I mean technically we are all dead, just because we will expire and have no use one day doesn't mean we are already dead today. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

To be honest there is some truth in this though. I think laptop docking stations with external graphics card enclosures will replace the majority of desktop PCs in the not-too-distant future, but for us gamers, overclockers, and builders the desktop PC will last at least another few decades :)  

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

I mean technically we are all dead, just because we will expire and have no use one day doesn't mean we are already dead today. 

I think you hit on a universal truth there.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Youtube works it's magic,

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

aha they only predict these "Unaccurate" "big headlines" for more veiwers, when in reality people who don't know much about computers will belive it, bit I belive smartphones will die out before PC's my opinion though

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

windows 8 for tablets and stuff. FAILED. i bet they edited the video on a pc

I could not agree more with both your statements

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

desktop pc's will always be more comfortable more efficient to use and more powerfull, theres nothing to discuss, now when you are simply carrying portable processing unit that you simply plug into your dock at home, monitor/keyboard/mouse, then we can talk.

maybe the video applies to the average joe, but anyone who does editing/rendering, is using the computer for work, gaming, whatever, anyone who is using it for more than simply checking your facebook updates, the desktop pc will be superior while maybe not portable, and besides, what kinda number crunching could i do for boinc and folding with a petty smartphone or tablet?.

This increases my hate for the gadget show even more, most of the stuff they cover is poorly researched and they don't go into detail on any of the hardware sides of things. Also, Jason Bradbury is a prick. He tries to be cool and youthful but he is laughable.

rant over.

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

How would we play League of Legends or Starcraft? (Considering Laptops, ultrabooks, and chromebooks to be PCs)

CPU: Intel i5-2400Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LXMemory: 16GB 1333MHz Crucial BallistixGPU: GIGABYTE WINDFORCE GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 (1085 MHz/1150 MHz) | Storage: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SSD + Western Digital 3.5-Inch 2TB HDDPSU: Diablotek PHD650 650W
Neumont University | Bachelors of Science in Computer Science | In Progress

So according to The Gadget Show(UK Tech review show) they think by 2014 Desktop computers will be a thing of the past.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/death-of-the-desktop-pc-series-19-episode-1

People outside of the EU may not be able to watch it but for the people who can... It's laughable...

I can't watch the video, must be UK only.

I can't watch the video, must be UK only.

I put the youtube version of the show on page 3 of this thread so everyone can watch it.

Meh, PCs aren't gonna die off anytime soon. I do like seeing how mobile tech has been becoming more and more powerful though. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

This is what usually happens when people talk about things, which they don't understand. They make claims that are really stupid.

Where does the word PC come from? It comes from words Personal Computer. Tablets and laptops are PC's. I couldn't see the video but I suspect they were referring to the traditional idea of a PC. So computer with separate screen, case and peripherals (desktop PC). That has gone away to some extent. Desktop has turned into a specialized tool. You probably can manage with a tablet or laptop but you probably are not as efficient with it as you would be with a proper desktop. You can browse the internet with touch sensitive tablet but you probably are not as efficient with it as you would be with a proper keyboard and mouse. Neither you would want to write a book with a tablet or do lots of video editing or rendering. You need a specialized tool for that. You need a desktop. There's "always" going to be demand for desktops.

People often think that desktops are going away because they have become more rare. Back in the days, there were no tablets and good laptops cost a fortune. Everyone were forced to buy a desktop. They didn't necessarily need the desktop but there were no alternatives. When the laptops and tablets got better and they got cheaper, people started buying them. They didn't need the desktop from the start so they were never going to stick with them. Nowadays desktops can be found on people, who actually need the desktop or want to have the full experience of computers. So in a sense, desktop is not going away. It has just become this specialized object which only certain type of people need.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

So just watched this god it made me angry.

I'd like to say as a UK techie I wish not to be affiliated with the Gadget Show.

As for 1000 quid for a 1TB flash disk or hdd for £35, I know where my money is.

And 4g? What a laugh I live and work in 3 places, all of which are ment to get 4g, im yet to get a 3g signal and we still have places where they have no signal and 56k modems still rule the household.

They later go on to show off the nvidia shield in that episode.

I think they meant that that desktop PCs will soon become obsolete with all the portable devices but in terms of gaming Desktop PCs are the best imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hey anybody can take a look at mobile phones, tablets and laptops and be impressed about their performance. Anybody might look at gaming consoles and also be very happy about their content. Anybody can take a look at cloud services and deem it as the future.

What not just anybody can do however, its code programs for all of the above. And trust me, you are not going to be coding for 8 hours at day on an 8 inch screen with no physical keyboard no matter how powerful it is. As long as there are professionals everywhere around the world who would continue to use desktop computers as their main work tools, they will always be a market for them and yes, that includes those same people wanting entertainment and leisure on their work tools as well.

That is what has kept the PC alive for over 3 decades. People assume that PC users are moving away from their PCs to consume internet and media on their mobile devices, this is pure observational bias: this devices are creating an entirely new audience they are henceforth not undermining the PC users and can easily coexist.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Good, Maybe prices will drop andI can get a good computer.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Yeah... The UK is never right about tech predictions.

The worst one being Alan Sugar declaring "The iPod is just a fad, it will never become anything".