[Updated] Nintendo Switch retail shortage is leading to exorbitant third-party pricing

Pickles von Brine

In a nutshell: Toilet paper and hand sanitizer aren’t the only commodities in short supply as of late. Nintendo’s handheld Switch is also proving difficult to find in stock as more people are turning to gaming as a source of entertainment during shelter in place orders (and to play the new Animal Crossing).

New Switch bundles are available from third-parties on sites like Amazon and Walmart, so long as you’re prepared to pay a significant markup. The cheapest example on Amazon right now, for example, is north of $460 $506, well above the $299 MSRP.

Source

Update:
Source

This has made it incredibly difficult to grab one of the consoles for your family to enjoy during the long hours of isolation that many of us now face. According to a report from Motherboard, the reason for this shortage is not just human demand (though that's part of it, in a way), but robots.

You read that right: scalpers are using a tool called "Bird Bot" to automatically purchase Switch consoles en masse, and at speeds that no human could possibly compete with. As soon as a digital storefront restocks its supply of Switches, these individuals snag them and then attempt to sell them at up to double (or more) their original price.

Really? Are you freaking serious? This is some absolute BS. Literally everything is sold out on amazon and the only ones available are used for 500 bucks! This is ridiculous!  What is wrong with people? I was looking to get one a week ago. Prices were normal then. In a week, this all happened. Freaking stupid man. People need to relax and chill. Times are tough, I get it, but do we have stoop to this level of nonsense?

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

I was actually looking into buying one, as I’ve never owned a Nintendo console. Seems fun and relaxing to relax out in the sun here with a relaxing game. I can see the Lite version is still in stock, but the normal one is out of stock, and resellers and “like new” selling for £420+ a pop.

Thats mental

0E36E1AA-80C0-43E2-9652-1F874812B5DF.jpeg

11EC24A4-923C-48E1-B109-53E1E420234E.jpeg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I've had one delivered today (The delivery driver was named Mario, it was perfect!), and they're like goldust. I ordered from Currys at 1am yesterday morning, so not sure if their stock got updated at midnight.

In the UK, your best bet is to check hotukdeals regularly as the usual suspects (Argos, Currys, Very, Smyths) seem to have regular deliveries, but are selling out quickly. The community are great at posting up whenever anyone has stock

11 minutes ago, James300 said:

I've had one delivered today (The delivery driver was named Mario, it was perfect!), and they're like goldust. I ordered from Currys at 1am yesterday morning, so not sure if their stock got updated at midnight.

In the UK, your best bet is to check hotukdeals regularly as the usual suspects (Argos, Currys, Very, Smyths) seem to have regular deliveries, but are selling out quickly. The community are great at posting up whenever anyone has stock

Smyths here in Ireland had one for €329, and ordered one. The second console I've ever purchased.

Good thing I bought my Switch Lite back in January, lmao.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I mean it makes sense, people are being forced to stay inside and a lot of them just got a $1,200 stimulus check deposited in their account starting Monday...

People are actually scalping these things now. Check ebay. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Good thing I bought my Switch Lite back in January, lmao.

You can still find the Switch Lite in places -- it's the regular one that's selling out because people want a game system they can use in the living room.  And one that includes plenty of kids' games, I'd add.

I suspect part of this is because Nintendo had a supply hiccup some weeks ago, and we're seeing the ripple effect of that.  Still, it'll be funny if Nintendo ends up crushing it over the next few months where Sony and Microsoft have to deal with an end-of-generation lull in sales.

Tags are not allowed in the title under the Tech News section.

If you are concerned by the validity of the source to a point that you need to warn people on the title, then don't post it.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Tags are not allowed in the title under the Tech News section.

If you are concerned by the validity of the source to a point that you need to warn people on the title, then don't post it.

Thank you.

OHHHHHHHHHH. I didn't know that is what you meant by a tag. Okay, noted for the future. I am ao use to following the guidelines for OCN's news section. Still getting over that. Thank you for informing me. @GoodBytes

Doesn't seem like a bid deal to me. You can just wait until it comes back in stock or pay more for it from a third party. I mean it is not as crazy of a markup compared to what I thought it was going to be based on the title which would indicate the supply issue isn't that bad. If it was really bad then it would be going for much higher than 500. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Doesn't seem like a bid deal to me. You can just wait until it comes back in stock or pay more for it from a third party. I mean it is not as crazy of a markup compared to what I thought it was going to be based on the title which would indicate the supply issue isn't that bad. If it was really bad then it would be going for much higher than 500. 

The markup is still really high regardless. This is a device new goes for 299. Yet people are trying to charge 500. In some cases, I have seen as much as 700 on ebay. 

3 hours ago, imreloadin said:

I mean it makes sense, people are being forced to stay inside and a lot of them just got a $1,200 stimulus check deposited in their account starting Monday...

Wish we got something like that in Ireland.

Also doesn't explain the pricing I posted from the UK. Just down to less made in China, and more people trying to turn a profit.

12 hours ago, Valentyn said:

I was actually looking into buying one, as I’ve never owned a Nintendo console. Seems fun and relaxing to relax out in the sun here with a relaxing game. I can see the Lite version is still in stock, but the normal one is out of stock, and resellers and “like new” selling for £420+ a pop.

Thats mental

0E36E1AA-80C0-43E2-9652-1F874812B5DF.jpeg

11EC24A4-923C-48E1-B109-53E1E420234E.jpeg

Holy...........

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

945752184_ScreenShot2020-04-17at4_49_37PM.thumb.png.44f775ab5941eac0585d50d7d1e427c4.png
Off of ebay. Scalping is a thing now. 

39 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

945752184_ScreenShot2020-04-17at4_49_37PM.thumb.png.44f775ab5941eac0585d50d7d1e427c4.png
Off of ebay. Scalping is a thing now. 

What's the quality of the switches?

Mine has a dented joy-con but imagine selling it for $400 and getting a $100 profit 😏

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

Ahhh capitalism.  This is how supply and demand works.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just wait a week or so, then things will be back to normal. China are starting its factories, correct not at 100%, but your Switch will be in stores soon enough.

Spending this much, on a console that probably will get a refresh next year (my analysis), is most likely not wise.

So it's just the Switch launch all over again. Got it

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

So it's just the Switch launch all over again. Got it

Way worse than launch, at least here. I sold my used switch with some games for $800 CAD

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I was able to get a Black Lite for myself and a Yellow Lite for my wife from Sams Club.  But the full size unites are unobtanium.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Just now, KWelz said:

I was able to get a Black Lite for myself and a Yellow Lite for my wife from Sams Club.  But the full size unites are unobtanium.  

Think about how you just state that sentence. Take off your filter, let things get wrong and read it again. I did. I died. XD

Not even the Switch, but the Animal Crossing Edition ... I'm seeing those things listed for like A$700-800, hell there was even an Amazon listing for $1100 ..

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~